Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pro n Cons of ST / FL / Anatomic Handle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
nashron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nashron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pro n Cons of ST / FL / Anatomic Handle
    Posted: 05/29/2008 at 12:17am
hai...

is there any Pro n Cons, advantage n disadvantage or purpose of different handle for shakehand blade ( ST / FL / Anatomic) ? any articles or thread before?

my fren told me most of chinese players use fl coz they emphasis on fh.. and european most of them use st....

blade like dhs hurricane king n hao only has fl handle.. is it true?

Sponsored Links

jkillashark View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jkillashark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2008 at 1:39am
Straight handles have the benefit for players who have slight (or major like Timo Boll) grip changes from forehand to backhand to short game. I use a straight handle and do find it useful when say I adjust my grip a bit to do a forehand flip. However, I don't really change my grip when doing forehands or backhands. I'm a more forehand emphasis player so if I buy a new blade it will probably be flared.

Flared handles are the most common and I could be wrong but its for players who don't really change their grip.

Anatomic handles are simply made for comfort I think. I see no real advantage to it, perhaps even having a disadvantage for people who want to backhand.
Butterfly Viscaria FL
FH: Black DHS Neo Hurricane 3 Blue Sponge National
BH: Red Butterfly Tenergy 80

Footwork and forehand is always the answer.
rokphish View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rokphish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2008 at 2:08am
Hurricane King is now available on ST as well..
instagram: rokphishtt

Member of EJ Anonymous
Hurricane Lover
popperlocker View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popperlocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2008 at 3:51am
yeah i was reading an article on megaspin about handles. jkilla pretty much got it down.
Most people use flared, 50% of professionals use straight handles.
Flared is very good for strong forehand players.
I have straight handle and my hands slip when using my forehand, but it's really easy to switch grips and go to the backhand.
When I used a flared handle, my forehand was really strong, but it was hard to switch to my backhand/change my grip
Valentine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valentine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2008 at 6:35am

99% of the chinese players use Fl (only exceptions I know of are Kong Linghui, Liu Guozheng and Zhang Yining, they use An). Most European pros use St (Boll, Samsonov, Maze, Kreanga, etc) with some exceptions like Schlager (Fl). Most defenders use St so tey can twiddle their paddles. Not many people use An, but I find it very good if you don't change grips, and have big hands or want a firm, solid grip on the paddle.

Flicker View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2008 at 10:52am
FL handle looks and feels better in my hand so all my blades are in FL.  I don't usually switch but I can do it without much problem with a FL handle.  I do change my grip slightly between FH and BH at times.
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2008 at 7:56pm
From my experience, I think ST is the most "neutral" one.  I am not talking about the ease of changing grip FH/BH, but talking in respect of the contour/shape.

Most of my blades are FL.  They are suitable for me for doing strong FH.  BH is not a problem also.  But in term of comfort, I found that FL is quite subjective.  For instance, I like Stiga Legend (fatter FL handle) and Stiga Master (slimmer FL handle) but absolutely hate BTY Korbel FL.  It's the contour that might or might not fit my hand perfectly.  AN is even worse, even from the conception itself (think about it, it's supposed to be anatomical to our hand, but whose hand???  Everyone is different, so you might find AN fit perfectly or not at all).

On the other hand, although ST can also be slimmer or fatter, but it does not have any countour, thus for me it's more neutral (I have not yet found any ST that I don't like).  The disadvantage is that if you are doing very strong FH swing, be careful so that it does not land on your opponent's forehead LOL
liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2008 at 10:03pm
Actually alot of defenders like Joo, Kim, and Park all use FL.
Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Gewo Nexxus EL Pro 53 SuperSelect
Yinhe Qing
liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2008 at 10:34pm
And Zhang is using FL now, she has a new paddle.
Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Yinhe Qing
jkillashark View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jkillashark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2008 at 6:05pm
Does that mean no more sponsorship from Butterfly?
Butterfly Viscaria FL
FH: Black DHS Neo Hurricane 3 Blue Sponge National
BH: Red Butterfly Tenergy 80

Footwork and forehand is always the answer.
liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2008 at 6:09pm
No she still is with butterfly, its just a new custom blade.
Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Yinhe Qing
sprite View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sprite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2008 at 8:51pm
Strong fh will use fl

Strong bh will use straight

generally speaking
YEO

Boost TP
nashron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nashron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2008 at 8:43am
anyone knows what type of handle waldner n jorgen person use?
Thot View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2008 at 9:25am
I like FL handle, but most of the FL blades have thin neck, at least for my big hands.
After trying a few ST blades I decided to switch to thick ST handles because I have a better grip with the middle and ring finger. With thin FL handles I have the mentioned fingers over my palm and I loose the grip when I switch from fh to bh or the other way around.
I tried once a blade with AN, I didn't like it, even if the blade was great.

What I would like to try is the conical handle from tibhar, they have a few blades with conical handle. When I was a kid I had one with con handle from HANOI, it was a good blade.
Valentine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valentine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2008 at 10:31am
Both Waldner and Persson use straight handle.
nashron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nashron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2008 at 11:00pm
my own experience : most of the time i use fl. i have use anatomic in between for a while. recently i use st.

fl for me has more stable grip and can fully utilize power from  the finger and back of my hand but with st i feel little loose grip. Anyway with st, i realise that, i can concentrate to use my wrist more than fl. it is useful for bh strokes. with anatomic i fell i have a firm grip to the blade.

now i realise that both has its own pro n cons. tq for all the feedbacks post here by forum members.
Jeff(ATTC) View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff(ATTC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2008 at 12:30am
I played with an anatomic recently and I thought that is was easier to transition between FH and BH without a grip change.  With flared I felt like I had to change my grip.
Bty Jun Mizutani ZLC
FH: D80
BH: D05
melarimsa View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melarimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2008 at 12:57am
ST handle: mostly BACKHAND hitters, loopers
FL handle: mostly FOREHAND hitter, looper
AN handle: mostly FOREHAND large palm hands hitters, loopers
CO handle: mostly FOREHAND/BACKHAND small hand hitters, loopers
Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2008 at 3:39am
The thinner flares on quite a few Chinese blades and the Stiga master are  IMO, more suited to Chinese players and children who are learning.

I can use a thin flare, but find i adjust my game to play with them.

The Stiga Legend and chunkier flares, like those of the Mazunov are better suited to players with a bigger palm and that's why I prefer them over a thin flare.

The disadvantage of flare I feel is the wider butt end, which can get in the way when using wrist. A straight handle allows more flexibility. particularly when serving and I believe that is one reason why a lot of Europeans use straight handles.

HowToPlayChineseLoop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HowToPlayChineseLoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2013 at 7:12pm
Originally posted by Thot Thot wrote:

I like FL handle, but most of the FL blades have thin neck, at least for my big hands.
After trying a few ST blades I decided to switch to thick ST handles because I have a better grip with the middle and ring finger. With thin FL handles I have the mentioned fingers over my palm and I loose the grip when I switch from fh to bh or the other way around.
I tried once a blade with AN, I didn't like it, even if the blade was great.

What I would like to try is the conical handle from tibhar, they have a few blades with conical handle. When I was a kid I had one with con handle from HANOI, it was a good blade.

HANOI is the capital of vietnam/
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2013 at 7:29pm
I dislike most FL handles except some Donic blades. I love more mass in my hand so I favor ST or a large AN. ST is great for BH. Most manufacturers make FL for frail old people or children, they are simply to small even for my small hands. They are so small I am constantly change grip position. Large SQ or Oval ST feels so good. I wish I could go to the factories and show them what a real handle size feels like. The only BTY blade that has a decent grip is Timo Boll ALC Squared ST...they got that one right! :)
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

tuco View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2013 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by liXiao liXiao wrote:

Actually alot of defenders like Joo, Kim, and Park all use FL.

That's interesting.  considering the Joo blade only comes in ST.  Most oversize chopping blades also only available in ST.

The Dark Side is:
"Quicker, easier, more seductive" - Yoda

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2013 at 10:16pm
What is interesting is that after a five year delay, this thread has come back to life , even if it was mainly to mention something about Hanoi that (I think) most people know. 

I am interested to learn though that some of the best defenders of all time use FL.  That is honestly something I did not know.
JohnnyChop View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2013 at 11:00pm
A lot of people think its easier to twiddle with ST handles but i think it is debatable!

I have heard that anatomic is good for hitters! Can someone confirm this?

My personal fav handle is the straight squared handle from butterfly it makes me feel like i know exactly the angle of my blade!
729 Battle 2 Yasaka Goibao 5 Nittaku Fastarc G1   
Nittaku Fastarc G1 Butterfly Cypress Max
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2013 at 11:48pm
Anatomic can feel very good or very bad depending on size and shape. Don't think handle shape has anything to effect being a "hitter". It's usually a split among pros using FL or ST. AN and CO is less common among professionals.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2013 at 1:15am
Originally posted by frogger frogger wrote:

Anatomic can feel very good or very bad depending on size and shape.

This is so true even for ST and FL.

Before starting EJing I thought that all handles of the same type were the same. Boy was I wrong! In fact, pick any two different blade models, even from the same manufacturer, and there will be likely at least slight differences in the shape of the handle (this may not apply to brands who have standardised handles, like Stiga or OSP). I don't understand whether this is by design or whether it just happens that manufacturing lines differ, but I find it annoying that sometimes I like a blade a lot but just cannot stand the handle.

Actually I stopped playing with Nittaku Violin because of the thin ST handle (I also tried grip tape but could not stand it). I've recently got a Violin with L-Size handle. The differences are minimal at first sight (size is less than 1mm larger, and the cross section is less rounded) but the difference is huge. This blade acutally has the most comfortable ST grip I ever tried (that's subjective, of course), and now I've started playing with Violin again!
Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.
tiehwen View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiehwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2013 at 9:48am
Originally posted by frogger frogger wrote:

Anatomic can feel very good or very bad depending on size and shape. Don't think handle shape has anything to effect being a "hitter". It's usually a split among pros using FL or ST. AN and CO is less common among professionals.
+1. This also applies/depends on different model of the same brand, say, Butterfly's TBS An. vs Photino An. or SC An.
imho, the last 2 are thicker & nicer & feel snuggy(sp?) & comfy & the TBS's feels kinda thinner & the bottom flare out more.
Donic's Anatomic are so nice & I'm shocked that it's quite consistent in shape & thickness (I've tried 2 so far).
OSP's An. are nice because they have very nice "Template" & very "standard". The BEST Anatomic shape/handle, IMHO.

Edited by tiehwen - 12/13/2013 at 9:48am
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2013 at 4:34pm
30 years ago I had a Friendship blade with a large AN grip. I still remember how comfortable that blade was. It was a rather squared AN grip if you can imagine that, that fit the hand like it was molded to you. Sometimes odd variations of a handle can feel very good. Now all the "cookie cutter" mass produced blade handles don't always feel so good. Like I said earlier they make them for old people and children. To small! To small! Stiga Legend grip and BTY SQ ST gets you in the ball park but still doesn't hit any home runs.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

Magic_M View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2013 at 4:36am
Like arg0 says, there are big differences between the available FL handles. Normally I don`t like FL handles, because most of them are too concave. That means, that the handle is too wide on the bottom and too thin at the top (neck) of the handle. It doesn`t feel comfortable for me. 

AN handles also vary very much. Some of the old AN handles (like Butterfly Mazunov or Donic Persson Powerallround) have AN handles, that fit really good to my hand, other handles feel extremely bad. Therefore I prefer ST handles in general.

But there are at least two FL handles, which are a (nearly) perfect combination between ST and FL (and maybe also CO) handles. They combine the advantages of both handle-types, because you can change the grip without any problems and although the grip is a bit more stable than with ST handles. 

Examples for this kind of handles are Nittaku Tenor and Nexy Arirang. Look at the picture of my Nittaku Tenor. So you can see, what I mean. The handle is very moderate FL.

geswin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geswin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2013 at 6:44am
For me Conical handle is the best handle available.
I like FL because of its concave(bigger at the edge)
I like ST because its just feels right but its loosen due to my sweaty hands.
Conical handle were less slippery for me, and it retains the quality of both FL and ST.
Some say FL are better for FH, and ST for BH. Conical is the hybrid of both. Its not as good as those too, but i think its the most balanced handle. And suitable for my hand (A big fat hand, and I'M asian, problably arround moderate hand with lots of fat)
Fan of ELCON/conic handle
V'King 05/ Sigma 2 euro/ hexer+
Virtuoso+ Hexer HD/ SE II euro
Accoustic Vega japan / P3
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic