Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Platin vs F1 review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
chockster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chockster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Platin vs F1 review
    Posted: 06/05/2008 at 3:29am

Thought I'd share my thoughts of the new JO Coppa Platin rubbers (2mm) compared to Desto F1 2mm (original version - not the 'new' version) which I've been using for my forehand for many years.  (This is on a Butterfly Balsa Carbo X5 blade)

speed: Platin is a bit faster
spin: Platin has a bit more spin both on serve and loop
sponge hardness: feels about the same
throw angle: about the same (fairly high)
loop drive: Platin is more powerful.  Slightly faster but the added spin keeps it on the table
looping underspin: close to the table I find F1 a little better - the speed of Platin makes my shots go long.  I'll need to get used to it and make slight adjustments to my stroke to compensate
flat hit: I'm not the best judge for flat hitting as heavy loop is my game, but on high kills Platin has more speed and control.
pushes/short game: Platin has more control and is less likely to pop the ball up than F1 (this is probably F1's weakest aspect)
blocking: slightly better than F1.
away from the table chopping: I resort to this occasionally when under attack. Platin has surprisingly good control for chopping considering its speed.  F1 is more likely to pop the chop up too high if you get it wrong
sound: Platin is louder
feel: very similar, though Platin has a slightly 'crisper' topsheet feel
weight: my impression is Platin is slightly heavier.  don't have scales to confirm.
durability: assuming it keeps its spin, Platin's more durable, no doubt.  I had to pull and pick at the offcut pretty hard to damage it.

Overall they feel and play very similarly which makes the transition from F1 to Platin easy, BUT Platin does almost everything F1 does a little better! 

I can't make any F2/F3/JO Silver/JO Gold comparisons since I haven't tried any of those.

Balsa Carbo X5
FH: Tenergy 2.1
BH: Darker V-lon S max
Sponsored Links

humint View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote humint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2008 at 9:07am
thank you very much ;)

btw, where did you by your platin from?
chockster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chockster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2008 at 7:24pm

got it from affordablett.com.au

If you're using/like F1 I wouldn't rush to throw it away - but I'd say Platin is a safe bet when it's due for replacement.  I've dabbled with other rubbers in the past which turned out as a dissapointment and always ended up going back to F1...until now!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic