Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

2008 World Veterans Champioshiprs Videos

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Redoya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redoya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2008 World Veterans Champioshiprs Videos
    Posted: 06/15/2008 at 10:46pm
Men's singles quarter-finals

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XZ5GPBEF
Ding Yi (Austria vs Traian Ciociu (Luxembourg), part 1

Part 2

Ding Yi, 59 (b. 14.01.59 in Shanghai), is currently ranked 5th in Austria, after W. Schlager, C. Weixing, R. Gardos and D. Habesohn. Was once 7th in WR, 5th in the 92 Olympics and seven times Austrian champion.

Traian Ciociu, 43 (b. 06.03.65), as a member of the Lux team defeated David Zhuang (US) and Xiao Han (US), but lost to Cazuo Matsumoto (BR) in the recent World Team 2008 in Guangzhou. He's rated 2567.
Sponsored Links

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2008 at 10:51pm
Originally posted by Redoya Redoya wrote:

Men's singles quarter-finals

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XZ5GPBEF
Ding Yi (Austria vs Traian Ciociu (Luxembourg), part 1

Part 2

Ding Yi, 59 (b. 14.01.59 in Shanghai), is currently ranked 5th in Austria, after W. Schlager, C. Weixing, R. Gardos and D. Habesohn. Was once 7th in WR, 5th in the 92 Olympics and seven times Austrian champion.

Traian Ciociu, 43 (b. 06.03.65), as a member of the Lux team defeated David Zhuang (US) and Xiao Han (US), but lost to Cazuo Matsumoto (BR) in the recent World Team 2008 in Guangzhou. He's rated 2567.

You must be kidding - are you saying that Luxembourg qualified for WTTC 2008?
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
Redoya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redoya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2008 at 1:16pm

Final Men's singles 40+ Ding yi vs Carsten Egeholt (Denmark), last game

The first 2 games have been uploaded by somebody else (see mesatenista.net).

In the last W. Veterans 2006, Egeholt scored 3x2 against Ding Yi in the 5th round. Just before that match, Ding Yi had to fetch an ersatz racket because the referee found that his rubber was no longer legal (Spinpips perhaps??). Egeholt has played in the German Club Fulda-Maberzell, now well-known by Waldner + Persson in its team.

According to a German forum, both players had developed shoulder injuries, after a week long tournament. But the Danish performance was visibly hampered. 
paulmac173 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulmac173 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2008 at 3:07pm
anyone have videos of colum slevin and carlsten egeholt in semi?? 
theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2008 at 7:11pm
lol i remember ding yi! hes in that beyond table tennis video!!!!!!! crazy guy
i lost my racquet

Schlager u beast

http://www.youtube.com/MDSguy

Redoya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redoya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2008 at 2:16am
Men's singles 40+ semifinals Ding Yi vs Alexander Savelyev (Russia) Part 1

Part 2

Savelyev, rated 2518, gives to an extremely exhausted Ding Yi a rough time. The classical all-attack FH only penhold style is certainly very demanding. An energy saving art or play is given by Juanito and Gao Jun.

In the adjacent table, the former Doubles World Champion Zoran Kalinic (Serbia) is upset by Miroslav Cecava, Czech, Veteran World Champion 2002 in the 40+ category. Kalinic is a player in a 2nd Division Austrian Club. 
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulmac173 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2008 at 5:42am
anyone have semi between colum slevin and carlsten eggholt??
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2008 at 10:51am

Final Men's singles 40+ Ding yi vs Carsten Egeholt (Denmark), last game

The first 2 games have been uploaded by somebody else (see mesatenista.net).

In the last W. Veterans 2006, Egeholt scored 3x2 against Ding Yi in the 5th round. Just before that match, Ding Yi had to fetch an ersatz racket because the referee found that his rubber was no longer legal (Spinpips perhaps??). Egeholt has played in the German Club Fulda-Maberzell, now well-known by Waldner + Persson in its team.

According to a German forum, both players had developed shoulder injuries, after a week long tournament. But the Danish performance was visibly hampered. 

Yeah.. this was not a very interesting match - Egeholt was out of form with his visibly injured shoulder.

Ding Yi's semifinal match against Savelyev was much more exciting - too bad it wasn't the final.

But I think Savelyev cannot be rated 2500 - I would say 2100-2200. Same probably can be said about Ding Yi... 2300 tops, I guess.

GraemeW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GraemeW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2008 at 11:35am
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

Ding Yi's semifinal match against Savelyev was much more exciting - too bad it wasn't the final.

But I think Savelyev cannot be rated 2500 - I would say 2100-2200. Same probably can be said about Ding Yi... 2300 tops, I guess.

You're joking?!

Take a look at the results for the Austrian 1. Bundesliga for 2007-8

http://cust40.vereinsmeier.com/de/menu_2/meisterschaft-cup/bundesligen/ergebnisse-tabellen-ranglisten3

Number 5 on the list is Ding Yi W48, L15 - ahead of Bernhard Presslmeyer WR171, Stefan Fegerl WR328 and rising very rapidly, Xiaoquan Feng WR253, and Peter Musko WR335, to name just a few folk.

A US 2100-2200 rated player might just scrape in at number 4 (of 4) of an Oberliga team (4th level after 1 and 2 Bundesliga and Landesliga, or be a solid Unterliga player... no higher.

Sorry if that sounds a little harsh to my American friends, but the gulf is as wide as the Atlantic is broad.
Butterfly Korbel ST
Red FH: BTY Tenergy T80 1.9mm
Black BH: TSP Curl P4 1.5mm
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2008 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by GraemeW GraemeW wrote:

You're joking?!

Take a look at the results for the Austrian 1. Bundesliga for 2007-8

http://cust40.vereinsmeier.com/de/menu_2/meisterschaft-cup/bundesligen/ergebnisse-tabellen-ranglisten3

Number 5 on the list is Ding Yi W48, L15 - ahead of Bernhard Presslmeyer WR171, Stefan Fegerl WR328 and rising very rapidly, Xiaoquan Feng WR253, and Peter Musko WR335, to name just a few folk.

A US 2100-2200 rated player might just scrape in at number 4 (of 4) of an Oberliga team (4th level after 1 and 2 Bundesliga and Landesliga, or be a solid Unterliga player... no higher.

Sorry if that sounds a little harsh to my American friends, but the gulf is as wide as the Atlantic is broad.

First of all, I said 2300 for Ding Yi... secondly I was simply judging by his game at WVC. A 2300 US rated player ... that would be Wally Green, for instance, of the guys I saw play in tournaments recently. It seemed to me (again, only judging by the video clips from this thread) that Wally could be at least equal to Ding Yi or even better...

elcapitan_thfc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elcapitan_thfc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2008 at 12:22pm
Yeh dude, I'm afraid you may have got that one horribly wrong, at the tail end of 2005 Ding Yi was still around 100 in the world and just check out his results in league and stuff!
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2008 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by elcapitan_thfc elcapitan_thfc wrote:

Yeh dude, I'm afraid you may have got that one horribly wrong, at the tail end of 2005 Ding Yi was still around 100 in the world and just check out his results in league and stuff!

Guys, please take into account that I simply watched the videos from this thread and judged solely by his play at WVC in Rio-de-Janeiro (from these three videos).

He might have been in worse shape than he is usually or smth... or perhaps I am hallucinating...

Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulmac173 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2008 at 2:39pm
I have taken that into account and you still are completely wrong. 
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2008 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by paulmac173 paulmac173 wrote:

I have taken that into account and you still are completely wrong. 

Hmm... that doesn't sound convincing enough for me... but who knows.

Are you judging solely by his standing in Austrian league, or did you see him play or smth like that?

Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulmac173 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2008 at 3:24pm
I played with him and have seen him play
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2008 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by paulmac173 paulmac173 wrote:

I played with him and have seen him play

OK, then... I just want to repeat that this was the first time I ever heard about the guy and all the info I had was the videos from WVC - so I am absolutely unbiased here and have no axe to grind whatsoever. Please believe me when I reiterate that in these videos he plays at 2300 level. However, I also found a report that both Ding Yi and Egerholt had some shoulder problems by the end of the tournament (I think it was mentioned here as well) - that, of course, could have played some role in his performance (I didn't notice anything obviously wrong in his play but it could have hampered his play nonetheless).

Redoya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redoya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2008 at 4:27pm
A short clip
Men's singles 40+ Consolation final
Michael Rigmond (Denmark) vs Franck Liedtke) last game

GraemeW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GraemeW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2008 at 4:44pm
I haven't played against or seen Ying Di, but I have trained alongside the others noted in my earlier post... they are class! (Bernhard and Peter can hold their beer too!)

I guess that appearances can be deceptive, especially on a shaky hand held video. I suspect that one might form the same impression rating-wise if you were to see a video of say, Gao Jun or He Zhi Wen and you didn't know who they were. All three players play an old-fashioned, but highly effective, Chinese style that has almost disappeared but was prevalent at the top of the world for many years. Not pretty, but hard to break down.

JimT... hope I didn't offend you!
Butterfly Korbel ST
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2008 at 5:01pm
OK, guys!

please tell me I am crazy or smth... but this level of play I can see every week in our local club (I am talking about the consolation final). And I understand that these guys could have been somewhat tired by the 5th game or they are nervous - after all, this is a World Championship .... but come on! this is a f**ing World Championship! are you saying that this is how 44- or 47-yr old veterans who supposedly are in the first or second dozen or so of the world in their age group play table tennis?

Again, I understand that many TT veterans in their 40s play way better than all of the guys who came to WVC put together - after all, JO or Persson or Jian Jaliang or many many others didn't attend so this event was mostly for the second-tier guys... but still...

Makes me want to go to the next WVC (I will be 45 in 2010) - I am sure I won't get any prizes but at least I will be able to win a few points and not embarass myself silly...

Or am I completely off the mark here? Feel free to flame on me...

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2008 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by GraemeW GraemeW wrote:

I haven't played against or seen Ying Di, but I have trained alongside the others noted in my earlier post... they are class! (Bernhard and Peter can hold their beer too!)

I guess that appearances can be deceptive, especially on a shaky hand held video. I suspect that one might form the same impression rating-wise if you were to see a video of say, Gao Jun or He Zhi Wen and you didn't know who they were. All three players play an old-fashioned, but highly effective, Chinese style that has almost disappeared but was prevalent at the top of the world for many years. Not pretty, but hard to break down.

JimT... hope I didn't offend you!

No offense taken at all. He Zhi Wen kicks ass, by the way! He is just super and he would win this WVC with one eye closed and one hand tied behind his back. But really, when I watched his videos in ECL, there was no doubt in my mind that this was the guy who is in the first 40 of the world ratings...

Read above my short crazy note about consolation final, though...

McGuiggan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McGuiggan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2008 at 6:54pm

OK, guys!

please tell me I am crazy or smth... but this level of play I can see every week in our local club (I am talking about the consolation final). And I understand that these guys could have been somewhat tired by the 5th game or they are nervous - after all, this is a World Championship .... but come on! this is a f**ing World Championship! are you saying that this is how 44- or 47-yr old veterans who supposedly are in the first or second dozen or so of the world in their age group play table tennis?

Again, I understand that many TT veterans in their 40s play way better than all of the guys who came to WVC put together - after all, JO or Persson or Jian Jaliang or many many others didn't attend so this event was mostly for the second-tier guys... but still...

Makes me want to go to the next WVC (I will be 45 in 2010) - I am sure I won't get any prizes but at least I will be able to win a few points and not embarass myself silly...

Or am I completely off the mark here? Feel free to flame on me...
I wouldn't say second tier at all there JimT, correct me if i'm wrong here, colum Slevin (semi finalist put out by the runner-up) beat Jiang Jialiang in bundesliga one time, proving he was a very high rated player, top 100 in the world at a stage.

Also, the WVC lets anyone play, no matter what standard (correct me if i'm wrong again) and there are no qualifying rounds like the normal world champs, hence why there may be some players which you feel look quite weak - which brings me to the point that it may be deceptive how good they are because of the camera...
Timo Boll Spirit
Bryce Speed 2.1 FH
Bryce Spee FX 2.1 BH
asr1990 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asr1990 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2008 at 7:03pm
Jim T Colum Slevin plays at much higher than 2300 level
mizutani jun
tenergy
bryce speed fx
Will be trying Zeta soon
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2008 at 7:21pm
Guys, I appreciate the responses but you are missing my points and you are  contesting statements that I never made. Let me re-state:

1) I have no idea as to the current level of Colum Slevin - he is not in the videos!!

2) I am only talking about these videos - I wasn't there at WVC so I have absolutely no idea how these guys played except for these 4-5 videos

3) naturally it is quite possible that these guys usually play much better, and that these videos do not represent their normal skills

BTW, I didn't know that anyone could participate - I thought there would be at least some pre-selection done... it seems that you only need to be a member of a ITTF-affiliated national federation, and naturally pay a fee (I guess it is a hefty one) and pay for your accomodations, tickets etc.

Too bad the next WVC is in China - if it were in Europe I would seriously think about signing up... maybe I should go to European Veterans Championships (although I wouldn't be surprised if it were a much tougher tournament!)

Redoya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redoya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2008 at 8:35pm
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4TRHEVY6
Men's singles 60+ final  Jaroslav Kunz (Germany) vs Niels Ramberg (Denmark)

Ramberg was 13 times Danish champion.

Kunz was a major figure in the former CSSR, having participated six times in World's. In Calcuta '75 reached the third position teamed with his famous countyryman Milan Orlowski. Tim Boggan once described him as a "tenacious bulldog". His hardest match was against the Brazilian Biriba that  played with a badly sprainned ankle.
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2008 at 10:06pm
where did you get all these clips? were you there, filming it?

Thanks, man!

Redoya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redoya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2008 at 10:11pm

This might be of interest for those who participated in the event

Photos and award ceremony part 1

Part 2
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2008 at 10:21pm

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4TRHEVY6
Men's singles 60+ final  Jaroslav Kunz (Germany) vs Niels Ramberg (Denmark)

Ramberg was 13 times Danish champion.

Kunz was a major figure in the former CSSR, having participated six times in World's. In Calcuta '75 reached the third position teamed with his famous countyryman Milan Orlowski. Tim Boggan once described him as a "tenacious bulldog". His hardest match was against the Brazilian Biriba that  played with a badly sprainned ankle.

Man, I hope I can still stand at the table when I am 64 !

Redoya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redoya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2008 at 10:33pm
I was there. It was my first participation in an event of this scale.
Great experience to meet Kalinic, Neubauer, Dig yi,.... Very nice fella.
Mature people, many with college degrees, some PhDs. A Chinese American gave me his card; he's MIT graduate in engineering. It is a tradition to exchange small gifts before the match and I didn't know that - I was bare-handed. The Japanese carry a small envelope with pins and other trinkets for occasion like this (omiyagi).
If could see the podium you would see smiling faces only. The all felt winners - in being there. No sponsors, no pressure to win. There is comething magic that compels an 97 years old lady to travel from down-under, facing long lines, elevators, crowded toilets, 20 hours in a plane, into an unknown land in the tropics.
GraemeW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GraemeW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2008 at 2:12am
JimT,

The Consolation Final was for the plate event for those who didn't make it out of the original qualifying groups, i.e. the bottom half of the competitors who entered that age group.

To put this into context, my team mate has a USATT ranking of 2085, which he obtained from playing in the NA Teams in 2006 with a playing record of W25, L2. I suspect his ranking would have been higher had he been playing in a higher division (he's going back this year so we will see!). My team mate also played in the World Vets 50-59's in Bremen 6 months earlier in May of 2006 and didn't get out of his qualification group!

The video camera is a cruel mistress!

Best wishes,

Graeme
Butterfly Korbel ST
Drewie View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2008 at 5:28am
One member in my club from sweden in Oskarshamn named "Bo Eriksson" played in this tournument and if you have videos when he is playing (but i think not)

Please upload them, maybe you are the coach of his opponent and filmed it =) 

He played in the 70 years class
(FH,BH)Tibhar Nimbus Sound 2.0
(blade) Persson Power speed
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic