Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

2008 World Veterans Champioshiprs Videos

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
SmilyCancer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmilyCancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2008 at 6:19am
Originally posted by McGuiggan McGuiggan wrote:

Also, the WVC lets anyone play, no matter what standard (correct me if i'm wrong again)

correct
Sponsored Links

elcapitan_thfc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elcapitan_thfc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2008 at 6:39am
@Jim T

I can see your point, but when He Zhi Wen was playing in ECL he was playing against Schlager and other top players like Ryu Seung Min etc so naturally when they are looping 5 or 6 balls at him his style would look good as it is based on blocking and counter attacking. If HZW was to play in WVC I'm sure that his level would look alot lower as his generation don't have a power looping game. Same for DY, he would also look alot better in ECL!!
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2008 at 8:10am
Originally posted by Redoya Redoya wrote:

I was there. It was my first participation in an event of this scale.
Great experience to meet Kalinic, Neubauer, Dig yi,.... Very nice fella.
Mature people, many with college degrees, some PhDs. A Chinese American gave me his card; he's MIT graduate in engineering. It is a tradition to exchange small gifts before the match and I didn't know that - I was bare-handed. The Japanese carry a small envelope with pins and other trinkets for occasion like this (omiyagi).
If could see the podium you would see smiling faces only. The all felt winners - in being there. No sponsors, no pressure to win. There is comething magic that compels an 97 years old lady to travel from down-under, facing long lines, elevators, crowded toilets, 20 hours in a plane, into an unknown land in the tropics.

Wow, it must have been pretty amazing... I should have gone too Cry

If you don't mind sharing with us - how expensive was it? I mean the participation fee and the hotels etc.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2008 at 8:16am
Originally posted by GraemeW GraemeW wrote:

JimT,

The Consolation Final was for the plate event for those who didn't make it out of the original qualifying groups, i.e. the bottom half of the competitors who entered that age group.

To put this into context, my team mate has a USATT ranking of 2085, which he obtained from playing in the NA Teams in 2006 with a playing record of W25, L2. I suspect his ranking would have been higher had he been playing in a higher division (he's going back this year so we will see!). My team mate also played in the World Vets 50-59's in Bremen 6 months earlier in May of 2006 and didn't get out of his qualification group!

The video camera is a cruel mistress!

Best wishes,

Graeme

I agree - when I filmed myself playing and watched it afterwards, I was disgusted... and during the match I felt I played pretty good, but ...

Video camera does indeed strip away some illusions!

As for your mate - he could have easily, by accident, gotten a better group... it is my understanding that there are no ratings used in WVC and therefore seeding is not done. So I believe it must have been his bad luck there was a couple of better players in his group... I am pretty sure that Bremen WVC was a tougher event because more of the better European players participated. Some guys must have missed Rio-de-Janeiro WVC simply because of the expense of going to Brazil - but that's just a guess...

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2008 at 8:18am
Originally posted by elcapitan_thfc elcapitan_thfc wrote:

@Jim T

I can see your point, but when He Zhi Wen was playing in ECL he was playing against Schlager and other top players like Ryu Seung Min etc so naturally when they are looping 5 or 6 balls at him his style would look good as it is based on blocking and counter attacking. If HZW was to play in WVC I'm sure that his level would look alot lower as his generation don't have a power looping game. Same for DY, he would also look alot better in ECL!!

That's true - you play to the level of your opponents, and also you quite often can only play the game your opponents allow you. If you play a kid from basement you will very likely win but you won't show your best game, that's for sure!

varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2008 at 9:14am
Has not Dr.Neubauer played?
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2008 at 9:50am
Originally posted by varghesep varghesep wrote:

Has not Dr.Neubauer played?

He did - in 64-69 age category. He didn't make it into quarters in Men's Singles but he won Doubles championship.

Redoya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redoya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2008 at 2:10pm
Men's singles 40+ semifinals

Carsten Egeholt (Denmark) vs Colum Slevin (Ireland)
last points of the match only.
Redoya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redoya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2008 at 2:25pm

Me's doubles 65+ Final
Herbert Neubauer (Switzerland) / Wolfgang Schmidt (Germany) vs
Van Inh Le (Australia) / Igot Klaf (Australia)
last game only
paulmac173 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulmac173 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2008 at 2:27pm
thanks a lot but is there any more footage of that semi?? 
McGuiggan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McGuiggan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2008 at 3:05pm

Men's singles 40+ semifinals

Carsten Egeholt (Denmark) vs Colum Slevin (Ireland)
last points of the match only.
This is the wrong video, it has the same code as the 65+ Doubles final video, so you have posted the same video twice by mistake, will you upload the correct one please?
Timo Boll Spirit
Bryce Speed 2.1 FH
Bryce Spee FX 2.1 BH
asr1990 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asr1990 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2008 at 3:38pm
Chris Brewer who won the consolation tournament at the Euro Vets played Colum Slevin in the groups and lost 3-2, he plays in my area, any vids of him anywhere, not sure if it was last year or the year before??
i beat him(Brewer) 3-2 in the league
mizutani jun
tenergy
bryce speed fx
Will be trying Zeta soon
paulmac173 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulmac173 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2008 at 4:38pm
Colum Slevin didnt lose any games in the group and he didnt play last year
asr1990 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asr1990 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2008 at 4:40pm
he didnt lose to chris brewer, he won, but i just wanted to now when it was and are there any vids of that game?
mizutani jun
tenergy
bryce speed fx
Will be trying Zeta soon
elcapitan_thfc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elcapitan_thfc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2008 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by paulmac173 paulmac173 wrote:

Colum Slevin didnt lose any games in the group and he didnt play last year

Eh I think you'll find the dude said he won 3-2 in the group and I also think you will find he was at the European Vets last year which he won.
Rage
Redoya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redoya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2008 at 5:47pm
Apologies for the blunder.
Here's the correct footage:

Men's singles 40+ QF Egeholt vs Slevin

Not the most interesting part of the match though.
The semis took place at the same time. I moved the camera after Ding's.
Hope somebody who has the whole scene will post it here.

Redoya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redoya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2008 at 6:14pm
fFor Brazilian fans of Biriba

Scenes from the training sessions part 1

Part 2

Biriba was the greatest hope for a  podium. Here he is tuning his strokes to play against a chopper, a very rare breed in Brazil. Germans took most of the metals, 26 or 29 according to some sites.

As one can see, Neubauer wears some  strange type of shoes, similar to a runner's. He said he has back problems and can no longer jog daily as he mentioned in a 2006 interview. 
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2008 at 7:00pm
Many thanks, Redoya!

Redoya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redoya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2008 at 11:38pm
 Men's singles 70+ Consolation Final

Minoru Kohakura (Brazil) vs Kozi Suzuki (Brazil)  part 1

Part 2
 Suzuki is the 2008 Brazilian Inter champion in the 70-74 class.
Japan born Kohakura  shows remarkable agility for someone of his age and body type.

bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/19/2008 at 1:41am

Part 2
Japan born Kohakura  shows remarkable agility for someone of his age and body type.

hi redoya do you know ding yi's blade and pips out( is he gluing?)
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/19/2008 at 11:55am

Part 2

Terrific! Thanks much!

Redoya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redoya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/19/2008 at 3:58pm
Men'singles 70-74 Final

Dieter Lippelt (Germany) vs Joseph Rakosnik (Czech Rep) Part 1

Part 2

A long battle between two defensive players. Concentration, stamina and mental strengh are in play. Lippelt played many years in the 1st Bundesliga and is still active. He uses a thick sponged short pips in the FH and anti in the back. In Germany, many greyhaired compete side-by-side with upcoming youngsters in lower divisions.

I am having proble in uploading part 3. The same clip turns up. Maybe someone can help me.
Redoya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redoya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/19/2008 at 4:24pm
 No. Unfortunately haven't seen his racket. Do not know whether there was a gluing area outside but no glue can was seen in the hall. In the recent Brazilian Open the pros were using lavish amount of speed; they reapply several times.

Nearly all  Asian vets are penholder but none RPB. Neubauer rubber and thick balsa blades are popular. Many still with the frictionless type. All of my 12 opponents ( 4 in singles, 8 in doubles) had long pips, except a Japanese PH who had an Mark V sticked to an 35 old relic. 

Umpires and players didn't complaint about height of toss in service or thickness of rubber. A player had a hardbat with a sizable hole where his thumb rests. In the Open umpires did carry a list of allowed rubbers.

In Vet some laxaty is understandable. Overall, the spirit is  of competiveness as a sport but at the same time of congregation and celebration.
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/19/2008 at 5:29pm

No. Unfortunately haven't seen his racket. Do not know whether there was a gluing area outside but no glue can was seen in the hall. In the recent Brazilian Open the pros were using lavish amount of speed; they reapply several times.

Nearly all  Asian vets are penholder but none RPB. Neubauer rubber and thick balsa blades are popular. Many still with the frictionless type. All of my 12 opponents ( 4 in singles, 8 in doubles) had long pips, except a Japanese PH who had an Mark V sticked to an 35 old relic. 

Umpires and players didn't complaint about height of toss in service or thickness of rubber. A player had a hardbat with a sizable hole where his thumb rests. In the Open umpires did carry a list of allowed rubbers.

In Vet some laxaty is understandable. Overall, the spirit is  of competiveness as a sport but at the same time of congregation and celebration.

Definitely sounds like a lot of fun. I am envious... I wonder where they will hold WVC in 4 years...

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/19/2008 at 6:17pm

Men'singles 70-74 Final

Dieter Lippelt (Germany) vs Joseph Rakosnik (Czech Rep) Part 1

Part 2

A long battle between two defensive players. Concentration, stamina and mental strengh are in play. Lippelt played many years in the 1st Bundesliga and is still active. He uses a thick sponged short pips in the FH and anti in the back. In Germany, many greyhaired compete side-by-side with upcoming youngsters in lower divisions.

I am having proble in uploading part 3. The same clip turns up. Maybe someone can help me.

Redoya, your file is called "...Consol Final"... so is that a main final or a consolation one?

Thanks.

Redoya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redoya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/20/2008 at 12:42am
   1. Definitely there is domething wrong with my computer. I will try to fix it this weekend. You are right. The first video is from the Consolation Final.

2. The next WVT will be held in China, in June 2010, in a city called Hohhot. It's Mayor was in Rio and participated in the 50+ category. The 2012 Champs will be in Stockholm. I believe that packages will be arranged by travel agencies.

3. The WVT carries the prestige of being a major event sanctioned by ITTF. It is supervised by the Swaythling Club, so a certain organizational standard is expected.

4. To make more visible my viewpoint that the WVT differs from the formal ProTour, I assembled this very short video:
The high pitched sound comes from the Russain fighter Larissa Farina.

5. Speaking of Russia, the big surprise of this tournament was caused by Inna Tikhomirova, a fine chopper. Unknown, unseeded, she won the 40+ without droppiing a single set with great ease. Her level was above other contestants. 
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/20/2008 at 4:23am

hope i can see kalinic, heard that he had amazing serves
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/20/2008 at 5:31am
Originally posted by bbkon bbkon wrote:

hope i can see kalinic, heard that he had amazing serves

neubauer was gluing for free but he wanted to selll glue
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/20/2008 at 10:24am

1. Definitely there is domething wrong with my computer. I will try to fix it this weekend. You are right. The first video is from the Consolation Final.

2. The next WVT will be held in China, in June 2010, in a city called Hohhot. It's Mayor was in Rio and participated in the 50+ category. The 2012 Champs will be in Stockholm. I believe that packages will be arranged by travel agencies.

3. The WVT carries the prestige of being a major event sanctioned by ITTF. It is supervised by the Swaythling Club, so a certain organizational standard is expected.

4. To make more visible my viewpoint that the WVT differs from the formal ProTour, I assembled this very short video:
The high pitched sound comes from the Russain fighter Larissa Farina.

5. Speaking of Russia, the big surprise of this tournament was caused by Inna Tikhomirova, a fine chopper. Unknown, unseeded, she won the 40+ without droppiing a single set with great ease. Her level was above other contestants. 

I think your PC is fine. I just think you named your clips differently from what is in them. My suspicion is that the only video which is missing is a part of Consolation Final in 70+. Just rename the file, put the proper description when uploading it and it should go just OK.

I am very grateful for the videos as I am sure others are as well. Thanks again!

Redoya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redoya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/20/2008 at 5:18pm
1. Thank you for your suggestion. I will try it on Sunday.

2. It is a pity that I don't have Kalinic's video. As all the matches started at the same time I had to pick juust one. And I was betting that Ding would win in the 40+ category.

3. Indeed  Zoran has a good service. Very economical. Only his forearm and wrist are used. For somebody of his size (6'5") it would be nearly impossible to perform a dance step full body twist like Liu Guoliang.

4. Imposing but unassuming, he was much requested for photos. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic