FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Position of the middle finger in penhold grip

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Vladovich View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vladovich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Position of the middle finger in penhold grip
    Posted: 08/20/2008 at 1:25pm
I am interested in the position of the middle finger on the backhand surface. Should it lie at the middle and more straight (like Ma Lin and Wang Hao) or at the right side and more curved (like Liu Guoliang)? What are the consequences of this variation on the different strokes?

Sponsored Links

dalamchops View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dalamchops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2008 at 1:28pm
just letting u know that none of them position it the same for every stroke. They change it when they serve, loop, smash, and block
Stiga Titanium 5.4 Cpen
Andro Hexer Pips 2.1
Donic Acuda S2 Max
Vladovich View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vladovich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2008 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by dalamchops dalamchops wrote:

just letting u know that none of them position it the same for every stroke. They change it when they serve, loop, smash, and block

Ok, but can you explain me, if you know, what they do exactly? How do they change their grips? How do they change position and pressure of various fingers during different strokes? I would like to know that. I think it is very interesting.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dalamchops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2008 at 1:55pm
players that do both traditional block and RPB tend to change their fingers on the back. When blocking, the thumb opens up, index finger presses down (to close the angle), and the 3 fingers stack on each other in the back to become reinforcement. When you do RPB the thumb presses down to open the back side, and 3 fingers in the back are like how Liu is holding it in the picture.

Having the fingers all the way extended while serving gives u more power and having them curled makes it easier to keep them short.

Ko Lai Chak from HKG serves while holding down on the paddle more instead of the handle
Stiga Titanium 5.4 Cpen
Andro Hexer Pips 2.1
Donic Acuda S2 Max
Thylacine View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thylacine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2008 at 1:58pm
  The classic chinese penhold grip is that of Liu Guoliang. Wang Hao extends his midle finger because he plays RPB. If you execute the rpb with curled fingers you must have really good footwork because the angle from which you can attack the ball is smaller.
The curled fingers on the back provide better angle variation  for the traditional penhold backhand. The extended fingers add to the power of your forehand.
Single Ply Hinoki club
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dalamchops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2008 at 2:01pm
the pictures don't relaly tell the whole story.. Liu Guoliang is holding it to do RPB, while Ma lin and Wang Hao just finished using their FH
Stiga Titanium 5.4 Cpen
Andro Hexer Pips 2.1
Donic Acuda S2 Max
Vladovich View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vladovich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2008 at 2:47pm
Thanks for your comments guys. Really helped me to better understand penhold grip. And should the fourth finger ever lie on the backhand rubber?

Originally posted by Thylacine Thylacine wrote:

The classic chinese penhold grip is that of Liu Guoliang. Wang Hao extends his midle finger because he plays RPB.

So, then Ma Lin have to move his middle finger, to extend it when he does rpb and forehand, and to curved it back, when he switched to classic backhand? Or he does traditional backhand with extended fingers?
Vladovich View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vladovich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2008 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by Thylacine Thylacine wrote:

The curled fingers on the back provide better angle variation  for the traditional penhold backhand.

I agree, so when your middle finger are curved and, especially, lies on the right side of the backhand surface then you can provide very good angle variation with that position, and do not have to open your thumb to close up the angle.

And with extended mid finger, when it lies in the middle of backhand side, you have to open your thumb to close up the angle.

Did I understand this wright?
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2008 at 3:21pm

I don't play penhold, but if I did my middle finger might tend to go more straight up when my opponent starts to win.

Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Master_of_loops View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Master_of_loops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2008 at 3:23pm
It is like shakehand grip (many styles)! Choose style that is most comfortable in your hand!
liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2008 at 3:28pm
Well here are few different examples. Kan Yo keeps his fingers completely flat for the FH and RPB. On his serve and regular black he stacks the fingers. Kaii Yoshida, as a traditional penholder, lets the middle and ring finger lie on the blade, but he arches the pinky up quite high, so when you look at his paddle from side, his fingers kind of look like a triangle in a way. I will post pictures soon.
Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Gewo Nexxus EL Pro 53 SuperSelect
Yinhe Qing
liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2008 at 3:37pm

Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Yinhe Qing
Vladovich View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vladovich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2008 at 3:46pm
This last picture is a beautiful example, thanks a lot!
liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2008 at 3:57pm
your welcome, I will post more pictures.
Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Yinhe Qing
liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2008 at 3:59pm

Tell me if you want more, and of what.
Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Yinhe Qing
Vladovich View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vladovich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2008 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by liXiao liXiao wrote:

Tell me if you want more, and of what.

Thanks a lot!

Well, I would like to see his traditional backhand block, if he use it, did he open the thumb, and the positon of his fingers on backhand side during that stroke. Big%20smile

I hope it is not a hard task. Smile

Thanks!
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Master_of_loops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2008 at 4:29pm
liXiao, nice coaching pictures! Can you also tell me where can I buy Japan TT national team shirt (Mizuno, yellow colour, last seen on Beijing 2008, Mizutani wears this shirt)?
liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2008 at 4:46pm
Oh you have to go to~ http://www.mizunonetorder.com/mizuno/product/68HB894/

You will have to use a proxy, I suggest spe.bigbig.com he is ultra reliable, and if you have any questions he has email, msn, and aim
Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Yinhe Qing
liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2008 at 4:46pm
Oh and Vlad I will find you pictures.
Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Yinhe Qing
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Master_of_loops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2008 at 4:50pm

Oh you have to go to~ http://www.mizunonetorder.com/mizuno/product/68HB894/

You will have to use a proxy, I suggest spe.bigbig.com he is ultra reliable, and if you have any questions he has email, msn, and aim

Tongue Thank you liXiao!!!!!!!
liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2008 at 4:52pm
Oh and they have EVERY exclusive shirt to the Japanese team.
Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Yinhe Qing
liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2008 at 4:55pm

Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Yinhe Qing
liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2008 at 4:58pm

Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Yinhe Qing
liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2008 at 4:58pm
Damnit the pictures wont load.
Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Yinhe Qing
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Master_of_loops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2008 at 5:05pm
liXiao: Have you any Japan national shirt? I'm asking this because you are the fan of Japanese TT like me!
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Master_of_loops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2008 at 5:07pm
Also which blade and rubbers are you using for new TT era (speed glue ban and boosters ban)? I reccently saw that you used Photino. Maybe you know how is comparing to my new TT era weapon Mizutani ZL?
liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2008 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by Master_of_loops Master_of_loops wrote:

liXiao: Have you any Japan national shirt? I'm asking this because you are the fan of Japanese TT�like me!

I have 2 shirts, the first is the Mizuno shirt with the yellow stripes (the one Kan is wearing) the other was a white one with sponsorship patches on the left breast. And Now that I am a penholder, I have decided to buy the Kaii Yoshida with bryce, but I'm wondering if I should use fit chack, or fair chack.
Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Yinhe Qing
T h e N A M View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T  h  e  N  A M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2008 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by dalamchops dalamchops wrote:

Liu Guoliang is holding it to do RPB

that's how his grip was with his FH...
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Master_of_loops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2008 at 6:25pm

Originally posted by Master_of_loops Master_of_loops wrote:

liXiao: Have you any Japan national shirt? I'm asking this because you are the fan of Japanese TT like me!

I have 2 shirts, the first is the Mizuno shirt with the yellow stripes (the one Kan is wearing) the other was a white one with sponsorship patches on the left breast. And Now that I am a penholder, I have decided to buy the Kaii Yoshida with bryce, but I'm wondering if I should use fit chack, or fair chack.

Beautifull TT national shirts gems! I see that your favourite player is Yoshida, and I like him too. One of my most favourite video is Yoshida vs Suss, when Yoshida kick his ass 11-0 (lol,lol,lol,lol). Also, that is beautifull when you use same equipment as your favourite player which has same style as you. And, you cant make misakes with that combos, because they are the best! My favourite player is Jun Mizutani, and I will soon use combo smillar as he (same blade as he, but with Tenergy 05, which I think he will using from September 1st) for new  TT era. Maybe you can wait little more to see what will using Kali? Maybe Butterfly will make his penhold ZL carbon blade?
charlesj View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlesj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2008 at 11:28pm
any clearer pics of wang hao or ma lin when they do forehand loops and when they do RBH?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic