Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TSP, calling all blade owners :)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2008 at 1:17pm
Update!, I put H2 blue on the forehand and Stiga Mendo on the backhand. The H2 is a real sticky one, still too sticky to use even tho I keep cleaning it and rubbing it. But I'll play with it for a couple hours tomorrow and see if I can knock some sense into the H2 and make it unstick a bit

Sponsored Links

rokphish View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rokphish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2008 at 1:39pm
Looks good. What's the weight?
instagram: rokphishtt

Member of EJ Anonymous
Hurricane Lover
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2008 at 1:41pm
Unsure on the weight but Iruiru had none under 90, so I asked for one under 95 :D. It doesn't feel very heavy anyway. A little bit more than the average blade but it's fine for me. I have played for a few season on ~95 gram carbons before in the past so it's ok. The only issue is for the last two I've played on a 70 gram balsa: P

holda View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote holda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2008 at 2:06pm
thank you for the pics.very good.
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2008 at 8:05pm
I have question that is still bugging me until today.  Someone probably can help me.

I am wondering about TSP Balsa Glassfiber series with numbers like 4.5, 5.5, 6.5 and 8.5, are they the actual overall thickness of the blade or only the thickness of the balsa part (which will make the overall thickness of the blade far thicker than indicated)?

Thank you very much.
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2008 at 8:22pm
They are not exact messurements but roughly how thick they are in the core 6.5 is OFF, 8.5 is OFF+ the others are all around and defensive blades. The "fitter" blades have a non wood handle and a non wood core up untill just above the handle where the artifical substance is rubber glued to the balsa. The fitter blades have basically zero vibration. I read one guys opinion that had both blades that the butterfly balsacarbo X5 is similar but slightly better than the TSP 6.5, I think he had the non fitter version

P.S the glass layer and top ply on these blades are so thin that it hardly adds anything to the thickness. I think the 6.5 8.5 etc is somewhere inbetween the core and the total thickness

varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2008 at 8:41pm
As nicefrog said, it is not exactly the thickness of the blade. The defensive blade starts with 2.5 and 8.5 is the offensive. The thickness of the central core balsa increases from 2.5 to 8.5. These blades are light.

Originally posted by doraemon doraemon wrote:

I have question that is still bugging me until today.  Someone probably can help me.

I am wondering about TSP Balsa Glassfiber series with numbers like 4.5, 5.5, 6.5 and 8.5, are they the actual overall thickness of the blade or only the thickness of the balsa part (which will make the overall thickness of the blade far thicker than indicated)?

Thank you very much.
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2008 at 8:59pm
varqhesp, do you have hino-carbon power in stock, I might have to buy one off you soon if I really like the one I just got :), but I might try a break 9 first so migth be a while. I'll see how I go

haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2008 at 9:33pm
Very nice blade pics nicefrog! The grain look pretty good to me as well... I would seal it very lightly regardless. Let us know how it plays!
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2008 at 9:44pm
Thank you for the answer.

I have been wanting to try those Balsa Fiber Glass series but are quite afraid of the thickness.  My collections are usually no greater than 6 mm in overall thickness.

Second, I have never tried Balsa.  So I don't know how it feels, I only know that Balsa is light.  I heard that it is either you like it or you hate it.

Actually, how Balsa behaves in playing?  I mean, does it feel stiff/soft, muted or springy, etc.  Can anybody help?

How the Fiber Glass help in making this blade better, other than widen the sweet-spot?  Does it create a synergy with Balsa, similar to the synergy of Hinoki + Carbon, which people said are in harmony?

Thank you.

EDIT:  After reading a bit more on the web, I found that Balsa is stiff but has soft feeling.  How is the dwell time compared to Limba, Koto or Hinoki?  Thanks.
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2008 at 10:31pm
Dwell time varies depending on how hard you hit it IMO. On low impact shots dwell time is high, the harder you hit it, the faster the balsa rebounds. Thinner balsa blades have more flex, which gives them more dwell time again.
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
rokphish View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rokphish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2008 at 11:29pm

Second, I have never tried Balsa. 

I thought one of your andro blade has balsa core?
instagram: rokphishtt

Member of EJ Anonymous
Hurricane Lover
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2008 at 11:43pm
Originally posted by rokphish rokphish wrote:

Second, I have never tried Balsa. 

I thought one of your andro blade has balsa core?

I have 1 Andro JM Saive OFF, which is stiff 5-ply all-wood blade.  Mine is heavy, about 93 grams (considering that it has small head size).  I am not sure what kind of wood Andro uses, but they are all stiff, harder wood (harder than my Korbel for sure), which I am sure they are not balsa.

On the contrary, I know that Andro JM Saive OFF- (Off Minus) has balsa in it, that's why it is so light, lower than 80 grams.  Both Saive OFF and OFF- are two completely different blades.

I also have Andro C. Suss Hinoki All+, which has Hinoki top-ply, but I am not sure about the core and 2nd layer.  I think they are not Balsa either because they are not so fragile.  I know that you can easily dent a Balsa, even with your own finger nails.

EDIT:  Regarding JM Saive OFF, I am sure that it's not balsa.  Regarding C. Suss Hinoki, I am not so sure because it's light.  If it has balsa, I probably don't know about it.
varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2008 at 1:19am
Originally posted by nicefrog nicefrog wrote:

varqhesp, do you have hino-carbon power in stock, I might have to buy one off you soon if I really like the one I just got :), but I might try a break 9 first so migth be a while. I'll see how I go

The TSP Hino-Carbon Speed & Power are in stock. Some of the Balsa Fiber series too.
dauntless View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dauntless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2008 at 2:11am
This blade is very much like my blade in dimensions, I really like the factory shaving on the handle for comfort. I did the same thing myself... I would like to know how this blade plays in the short game, and how much control you have. I would especially like to know how it blocks. You are using harder rubber than I am though so this might not be a fair comparison. Is it a "ping" sound or a "thwock" kind of speed glue sound (when hitting hard)? (not that that is a big deal just curious)

Same thickness, same dimensions almost except a little wider, and carbon placement in the layers very similar, same kiri core, and the quality looks great.

Hope it works out great for you.
1. BTY Primorac, Nittaku H3N, T64 2. BTY Primorac, H3N, Mendo MP Feedback
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2008 at 10:11am
OK I'm back, the verdict is, it's a very nice blade BUT it is just simply too fast for my style of play. I'm not sure if I've adapted over the last couple of years to suit the 6.5 Balsa but I really am struggling to play with any OFF+ carbon at the moment. I was using the TSP hino-carbon tonight alot but I need to stand back at around 2-4 meters from the table to land a full power loop, 2 meters is ok anything closer I was finding it very difficult to get them down in time. With my 6.5 Balsa the arc the ball flys is a much more "arcy" arc and also starts to dip down on my side of the table even from right up hard against the table, on the hino-carbon the ball has a straight fast path for about 4 meters and then hooks down. Yet I have just as much ball speed on the balsa simply because I can use full power and land anything from close to the table or mid distance (it's not so good to attack from the wall but has incredible control from long distance and returns with top spin lobs from there perfectly all day and thats still a very good return to use from long distance.

I had H2 blue on the forehand and stiga mendo on the other side of the hino-carbon, I tried swapping them around a few times but they both were similar apart from the H2 being tacky :P but the actual flight of the ball was pretty much all blade. I could close the face and help a bit or just simply not hit the ball so hard but the first option gives you less spin, easier to return shots and second option puts you at a slower speed than a full swing on a slower blade so either way isn't really a sensible option. In the end it's a mid range kind of blade and not suitable to my in your face attack style of game.

I don't know, the H2 on the 6.5 Balsa is just such a good a combo it's making everything else look pretty silly at the moment, I had about 4 bats in the hall tonight and one or the other top players who's an international kind of guy came over and said which one is the good one?. And I said they are all good and he goes no the one you played with in the final last week, it's your best for sure no one here can beat you with that one.

So I gave him the 6.5 Balsa and he played with it and goes yes it's perfect, everyone says the same and everyone tells me my shots have much more kick off that than any other blade. I was even having a hit with a young kid for an hour or so and he told me with blade kicked the hardest and dipped the lowest off the table. He said the 6.5 balsa is the best, the Joola Cat second with inspirit (that has a distinctive glue sound when hit hard and its no even iq, just the original one) but it's certainly less powerfull than h2.

So I have come to a conclusion, since right now, these last couple of months I've been playing better than perhaps I ever have. So I'll just buy enough 6.5 fitters to last me the rest of my life and sell everything else :D. H2 is an important part of the equation for sure but so long as I can get a rubber that can be smacked around and it's tacky and low throw, I doubt the rubber is all that important compared to the blade in this case. So if DHS stop making H2 blue it wont be the end of the world, I'll just go with another low throw chinese rubber with fat pimples.

I'll keep the hino-carbon just because it's pretty and I might by a 8.5 balsa one day just so I have the option to go faster if I want but I really do seem to have come across a very special and super super easy to play combo. I mean you can almost play blindfold with it and land any ball just where you want from anywhere around the table long or short whatever. And no other blade I have generates as much top spin (the Accoustic comes close) and the Joola Sheik is fairly similar to the 6.5 too.

I know I was supposed to the reviewing the hino-carbon :D and it's a good blade, it doesn't make any anoying sounds "PTING" like the galaxy T's and if your game suits a very fast carbon and you find one at 85 grams you would love it. But if I was going to use it in competition I'd be at a 3 point a game disadvantage over balsa before I even started and I can't really afford to do that. I know with the 6.5 and H2 blue I have a very good chance of going through the whole season undefeated next year and after the first half of this year on H3's costing me both the local championship and the aggregate (I came back to within one game on the strong H2 finsh, being undefieted since I started using H2 again :P) well I'm pretty keen to just have a good solid blade/rubber combo and get on with the job of winning all my stuff I'm supposed to win back again next year :).

Funny thing was the kid I was having a hit with who really liked how the 6.5 hit the ball and how it was kicking under his blade come over at the end of the night and showed me the blade he uses that his grandfather gave him (hes only been playing one year) and funny enough he had a 4.5 balsa TSP, TSP 730 on the forehand and shriver el? on the backhand. I said to him, that's sounds perfect for you for the next............ Long time, keep it, look after it :)

So I'll leave it at that

I'm off the make some money to buy enough 6.5s to last the rest of my life

bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2008 at 1:09pm

I wonder if i can get hino carbon in cpen version
charlesj View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlesj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2008 at 1:13am
Yes, I wonder what's the approx weight of it in cpen?
and the thickness?
holda View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote holda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2008 at 1:42am
how about the weight distribution?is it head heavy or is it not?
there is the other one-HINO-CARBO speed.both look the same.
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2008 at 6:13am
Holda I prefer head heavy blades but this one feels just normal and I'm still not sure what the difference is between the speed and the power version. Maybe we can ask varghesp to compare one of each :)

varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2008 at 9:16am
I've played in a tournament on Saturday with TSP Yanagi Alpha. I won the third in the tournament. I've also beat the top player in the state who is 220 points higher than me. I've felt it is a very stable blade.
varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2008 at 10:32pm
Have you found out the difference between TSP Hino-Speed and Hino-Power? I thought with Hino-Power, you can play a very close to the table game.

Are you playing with Hino-Power?

OK I'm back, the verdict is, it's a very nice blade BUT it is just simply too fast for my style of play. I'm not sure if I've adapted over the last couple of years to suit the 6.5 Balsa but I really am struggling to play with any OFF+ carbon at the moment. I was using the TSP hino-carbon tonight alot but I need to stand back at around 2-4 meters from the table to land a full power loop, 2 meters is ok anything closer I was finding it very difficult to get them down in time. With my 6.5 Balsa the arc the ball flys is a much more "arcy" arc and also starts to dip down on my side of the table even from right up hard against the table, on the hino-carbon the ball has a straight fast path for about 4 meters and then hooks down. Yet I have just as much ball speed on the balsa simply because I can use full power and land anything from close to the table or mid distance (it's not so good to attack from the wall but has incredible control from long distance and returns with top spin lobs from there perfectly all day and thats still a very good return to use from long distance.

I had H2 blue on the forehand and stiga mendo on the other side of the hino-carbon, I tried swapping them around a few times but they both were similar apart from the H2 being tacky :P but the actual flight of the ball was pretty much all blade. I could close the face and help a bit or just simply not hit the ball so hard but the first option gives you less spin, easier to return shots and second option puts you at a slower speed than a full swing on a slower blade so either way isn't really a sensible option. In the end it's a mid range kind of blade and not suitable to my in your face attack style of game.

I don't know, the H2 on the 6.5 Balsa is just such a good a combo it's making everything else look pretty silly at the moment, I had about 4 bats in the hall tonight and one or the other top players who's an international kind of guy came over and said which one is the good one?. And I said they are all good and he goes no the one you played with in the final last week, it's your best for sure no one here can beat you with that one.

So I gave him the 6.5 Balsa and he played with it and goes yes it's perfect, everyone says the same and everyone tells me my shots have much more kick off that than any other blade. I was even having a hit with a young kid for an hour or so and he told me with blade kicked the hardest and dipped the lowest off the table. He said the 6.5 balsa is the best, the Joola Cat second with inspirit (that has a distinctive glue sound when hit hard and its no even iq, just the original one) but it's certainly less powerfull than h2.

So I have come to a conclusion, since right now, these last couple of months I've been playing better than perhaps I ever have. So I'll just buy enough 6.5 fitters to last me the rest of my life and sell everything else :D. H2 is an important part of the equation for sure but so long as I can get a rubber that can be smacked around and it's tacky and low throw, I doubt the rubber is all that important compared to the blade in this case. So if DHS stop making H2 blue it wont be the end of the world, I'll just go with another low throw chinese rubber with fat pimples.

I'll keep the hino-carbon just because it's pretty and I might by a 8.5 balsa one day just so I have the option to go faster if I want but I really do seem to have come across a very special and super super easy to play combo. I mean you can almost play blindfold with it and land any ball just where you want from anywhere around the table long or short whatever. And no other blade I have generates as much top spin (the Accoustic comes close) and the Joola Sheik is fairly similar to the 6.5 too.

I know I was supposed to the reviewing the hino-carbon :D and it's a good blade, it doesn't make any anoying sounds "PTING" like the galaxy T's and if your game suits a very fast carbon and you find one at 85 grams you would love it. But if I was going to use it in competition I'd be at a 3 point a game disadvantage over balsa before I even started and I can't really afford to do that. I know with the 6.5 and H2 blue I have a very good chance of going through the whole season undefeated next year and after the first half of this year on H3's costing me both the local championship and the aggregate (I came back to within one game on the strong H2 finsh, being undefieted since I started using H2 again :P) well I'm pretty keen to just have a good solid blade/rubber combo and get on with the job of winning all my stuff I'm supposed to win back again next year :).

Funny thing was the kid I was having a hit with who really liked how the 6.5 hit the ball and how it was kicking under his blade come over at the end of the night and showed me the blade he uses that his grandfather gave him (hes only been playing one year) and funny enough he had a 4.5 balsa TSP, TSP 730 on the forehand and shriver el? on the backhand. I said to him, that's sounds perfect for you for the next............ Long time, keep it, look after it :)

So I'll leave it at that

I'm off the make some money to buy enough 6.5s to last the rest of my life
Klaus123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klaus123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2008 at 11:03pm
The only TSP blades i played were

TSP fitter offensive carbon: stiff, hard, without any feel, no spin, like dead.

TSP Texas: similar to the one above, and additionally it was very heavy too, aslike an IKEA plank :-(

I was disappointed by both blades.
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2008 at 11:16pm
Has anyone tried TSP GAIA? it's a 6 mm Allwood blade.
Andro Wanokiwami AO Offensive 83 gr
H3 National Orange 40 deg 2.2
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2008 at 11:32pm
Originally posted by peter79 peter79 wrote:

Has anyone tried TSP GAIA? it's a 6 mm Allwood blade.

As per the note, it is a 5 ply offensive blade. The color of the wood in the core looks gray.

varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2008 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by Klaus123 Klaus123 wrote:

The only TSP blades i played were

TSP fitter offensive carbon: stiff, hard, without any feel, no spin, like dead.

TSP Texas: similar to the one above, and additionally it was very heavy too, aslike an IKEA plank :-(

I was disappointed by both blades.

The blade itself can't put any spin.

What blade are you using now?

nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2008 at 2:13am
GAAAAAAAAAH, iruiru only just prcocessed my bill for the Hino Carbon today months after I got it and now it cost me heapsssss more than it was supposed to due to the ecconomy of the world (usa) falling to crap :P. So just a note that you should tell them to hurry up and do their bookwork if you are planing to buy something on a good exchange rate like I was. I ended up paying 150 bucks for a 100$ blade :p

haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2008 at 6:46am
That sucks!

You think your currency has dropped against the Yen, you should see the AUD$... it's dropped a huge amount against just about every currency, including about 25% against the USD$!!!
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2008 at 7:31am
I am from Australia that's why it changed so much :) bloody Americans, everythings their fault in the end or beginning :p. The next lot of stuff you import for your shop is going to be costly !. Lucky table tennis equipment doesn't cost 30 grand like cars

varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2008 at 9:42am

GAAAAAAAAAH, iruiru only just prcocessed my bill for the Hino Carbon today months after I got it and now it cost me heapsssss more than it was supposed to due to the ecconomy of the world (usa) falling to crap :P. So just a note that you should tell them to hurry up and do their bookwork if you are planing to buy something on a good exchange rate like I was. I ended up paying 150 bucks for a 100$ blade :p

Are you buying the TSP Hino-Carbon Power or the Speed?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic