Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

XIOM Jazz Review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rokphish View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rokphish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: XIOM Jazz Review
    Posted: 09/27/2008 at 9:46am
Okay, finally I got to the end of the line of XIOM blades to try...

Jazz is one of three of the Xiom's Novus Wood series.

The 5 ply blade is made of Hinoki - Koto - Ayous - Koto � Hinoki at 6 mm thickness.

The made and finishing of the blade is superb and very smooth. The flaw I see: the cut on the logo on the handle is not very straight, but it's a very minuscule overlook.

If I were to rate it on the finishing/make of the blade, I would rate it at 99% (points taken off for the small flaw.)

The head is of compact size, the size according to Xiom's specification are: 152.5x148.5 while the handle are 100x34x24 for the FL & 100x29x22 for the ST. The ST handle is slightly smaller towards the bottom end. First thing I noticed when holding it was how nice and comfortable it is on my hand. The handle is wide and thick enough, about as good as my Hurricane blades FL handles. Feels thinner but wider than the HK. It's certainly wider and thicker than the Korbel FL & Wavestone FL handles which I also have. The head is about the same as my Waveston & Amadeus blades.

The weight quoted for me is 82.9g (FL) & 82.8g (ST) but when I weighed it using my dad's digital weight scale for his medicines, it weighed at 80.9g (FL) & 80.85g (ST). 2g less than quoted weights.

The rubbers I put on the blade are: Hurricane 3 Provincial 39 degree and Prasidha Tokyo 2, so they are the same rubbers as I have on the Hurricane King setup.  

Now, here are the preliminary/first impressions I have on the blade:

First  times I hit with it, certainly much better compared to the first time I hit with Aria, which felt bad right after trying Amadeus, but after awhile got better as I play longer with Aria. It felt good like Fuga on first few hits with them.

The blade feels softer & milder than both Aria & Fuga. It's slower than the Aria & Fuga and has a good dwell time. I could impart heavy spins on both fast and slow loops just fine.

On fast loops, I felt it almost as quick as I did with the Amadeus (not as quick as Ignito, which is best in this regard in my opinion). It's quite fast, but just my feeling I could do it much faster with Ignito.

Blocks are effortless, just a good amount of bounce. I don't have problem on the short play with it.
Chops are fine short and long, nothing to write home about.

I usually don't smash on FH, so I don't know how it does altering between loops and smashes. The few smashes on FH I did were good. Not blazing fast of course with the Hurricane rubber, but enough to win the point. I smash on the BH, when I smash, it generates fast speed and power.

Control is good. I think Jazz has better control than the other two Novus Wood blades.

I switched sides and used the Tokyo 2 on the FH and it felt great. Things are going faster, but still with good amount of control. I think for those playing with both Japanese/European rubbers will be satisfied with the amount of speed and control of this blade. This is even without gluing.
For those who haven't played with Tokyo 2 rubber, I think it's somewhat similar with Bryce Speed FX on speed and spin ( I feel spinier for Tokyo 2). Less bouncy on the short play and better control over all.

If you remember the short review I wrote about Fuga, you'll remember I wrote about the bit vibration especially on FH hit with H3P rubber. Well, glad to say that it's not the problem with Jazz. Jazz gives good feel and nice vibration. Slight and not good, not too much to become annoying.

Throw is about medium-low, slightly lower than Fuga I'd say.

Now, how do I feel about Jazz? I've had the chance to communicate with the designer of the Novus Wood blades and in one of those conversations he mentioned that he actually designed Jazz according to his specification and according to his own personal likings. That it to say he actually designed Jazz specifically for himself. I was holding out when he said that and now I could say that he's done a great job. I like the feel of this blade much more than Aria which is more powerful blade. The Fuga I could probably loops better with it. But Jazz gives me better feel than both of them. And though it's not a speed demon, it's fairly fast. Should rightly belong in the All+. If you like more control out of a blade and want to have a blade that has good feel, I could recommend the Jazz for you.

Please bear in mind that this is just preliminary impressions. I do plan to revisit the blades after I finish making my round with the untested blades. Also, I also want to try the XIOM blades again with Zeta. I've been waiting to try the Zeta until I have finished trying the blades with similar rubbers as I had started in the beginning. But it might take awhile because I have other blades to try before I start on another round with the XIOM blades...

Well, that's it for now.
Comments and questions are welcome. 
instagram: rokphishtt

Member of EJ Anonymous
Hurricane Lover
Sponsored Links

everest81 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote everest81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2008 at 9:49am
Xiom should pay you for such a thorough review with pics..Tongue
Member of Single ply Hinoki club
Kokutaku Cho-Super Cho Tokusen + Tenergy Max
Collecting dust: Nittaku Cho tokusen 9mm, kokutaku cho tokusen 9mm, darker 90 10mm, ryno custom poc blade 10.2mm
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2008 at 9:59am
Well, I have a chance trying Aria, Fuga and Jazz, Amadeus, Ignito from Rokphish. Among 5 blades, I like Jazz and Amadeus more than the others.
Between Amadeus n Jazz, Jazz has more woody feel and more flexibility.

Andro Wanokiwami AO Offensive 83 gr
H3 National Orange 40 deg 2.2
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

Brainstorm69 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brainstorm69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2008 at 10:00am
rokphish, great review and terrific pictures.  One thing I have a question about.  At one point you say it's about as fast as Korbel, yet you finish with a statement that it's about All+ in speed.  That confuses me as I have always read that Korbel is an OFF blade. Confused
F3S | Tulpe T-7007 | F3S
rokphish View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rokphish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2008 at 10:10am
Originally posted by everest81 everest81 wrote:

Xiom should pay you for such a thorough review with pics..Tongue

I wouldn't say no to that... Tongue

Originally posted by Brainstorm69 Brainstorm69 wrote:

rokphish, great review and terrific pictures.  One thing I have a question about.  At one point you say it's about as fast as Korbel, yet you finish with a statement that it's about All+ in speed.  That confuses me as I have always read that Korbel is an OFF blade. Confused

Simple my friend... I made a mistake... I wrote ONE review and copy and paste and edit the areas where I see there are differences (I thought to help with uniformity between the reviews). Apparently I missed some... Embarrassed Thanks for noticing that. I edit it shortly. Wink

Member of EJ Anonymous
Hurricane Lover
nick911sc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick911sc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2008 at 10:17am
Hey Great review Rokphish!  You always give such great reviews and i love how you compare the other xiom blades with it.

What's next on the list to review?
YEO Cpen

Xiom Fuga Cpen

Xiom Strato Cpen

Dawei Matrix Cpen

Dawei Quattro A+ FL

rokphish View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rokphish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2008 at 10:24am
Thanks Nick... I use the same template for the xiom blades so they read the same...

October is Hinoki month. I'll be playing with 1 ply, 5 ply, and 9 ply all hinoki blades...

Member of EJ Anonymous
Hurricane Lover
nick911sc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick911sc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2008 at 10:49am
Yea I noticed but it helped because it's easier to compare to the other blades you've reviewed.

I'd like to know what you think of zeta when you use it.
YEO Cpen

Xiom Fuga Cpen

Xiom Strato Cpen

Dawei Matrix Cpen

Dawei Quattro A+ FL

rokphish View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rokphish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2008 at 10:55am
Me too. I bought zeta for a few weeks but haven't had a chance to try it yet. And probably not in october as well... I was on ej frenzy and went out of budget plus additional surprise expenses came up recently... I'm selling some of my stuff and hopefully zeta will not be sold out during this time...

Member of EJ Anonymous
Hurricane Lover
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2009 at 7:43pm
ropkish, so compared to any stiga or donic blades that you have tried what is the speed of the xiom jazz? 
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
rokphish View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rokphish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2009 at 12:48am
a step down slower than clipper cr wrb and non-wrb...
say clipper: 0ff, jazz: all+/off-

Member of EJ Anonymous
Hurricane Lover
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2009 at 6:08am
is the control really that good and is it ok with hurricane 2?
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2009 at 6:09am
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

is the control really that good and is it ok with hurricane 2?

control is all relative. If it's all+ to off-, sure the control is good.
rokphish View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rokphish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2009 at 3:16pm
i was playing with h3p and it was fine... didn't try it with h2...

Member of EJ Anonymous
Hurricane Lover
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2009 at 11:32pm
you think i should keep mine since im looking for an all wood blade??? 

rokphish View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rokphish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2009 at 11:59pm
sorry yogi, i didn't understand what you're trying to ask...

Member of EJ Anonymous
Hurricane Lover
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2009 at 2:54am
i mean im asking if its worth using and keeping the xiom jazz since im lookign for an all wood blade?

rokphish View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rokphish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2009 at 12:38pm
i quite like jazz... very good blade if you're not looking for a very fast all wood blade...

Member of EJ Anonymous
Hurricane Lover
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2009 at 3:59pm
rokfish, could you post a table of all Xiom blades you reviewed with columns such as price, type, speed, control, stiffness, and whatever else you prefer.

That would be a huge help to anyone trying out Xiom blades. Thanks, man!
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic