Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New blade

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
THEMANFZ1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THEMANFZ1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New blade
    Posted: 10/20/2008 at 2:41am
My friends birthday was last week and it gave an excuse to make another blade.  Here it is, and it plays really well just like the last one.  Don't notice much of a difference in the spar varnish I used to seal it either.

Joola MC1-Inspirit Quattro 2.0 & Palio CJ8000
Ritc V6-Globe 999 2.0 & 729 lightning FX
Sponsored Links

THEMANFZ1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THEMANFZ1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2008 at 2:44am
THEMANFZ1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THEMANFZ1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2008 at 2:47am
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2008 at 2:48am
nice picture/macro
your signature says mc1. is the photo really showing that blade?
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2008 at 2:50am
the picture quality is amazing. what camera/setting do you use?
THEMANFZ1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THEMANFZ1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2008 at 2:50am
THEMANFZ1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THEMANFZ1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2008 at 2:53am
No its not my MC1 I made this particular blade.  Its only the second blade that I have made.  The first one turned out pretty good, so good that my buddy wanted it and so I made this one for him.  The camera is a sony cyber shot 3.2 on macro setting and no flash.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2008 at 2:56am
what tool do you use to cut thin layers of wood? do you just buy veneer?
THEMANFZ1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THEMANFZ1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2008 at 2:59am
The tool is a planer, Mine however is still in the box so I just bought the veneers of birch and balsa.  The handle however is a combination of pine and zebra wood which I put together in my garage.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2008 at 3:08am
I thought a planer was taking wood OFF a bigger piece of wood (to make it from 10mm to 9mm for example).
Oh man! this is really cool.
Where do you buy the wood and what glue do you use to stick the plies together?
don't feel pressed to give away your secrets! it's ok if you keep them :)
THEMANFZ1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THEMANFZ1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2008 at 3:18am
You are correct thats exactly what the planer does you have the wood cut originally with a band saw or the like then use the planer to plane down the thickness you want.  I get the wood from a local wood distributor and the glue is a wood glue that bonds well but remains slightly flexible.  I want to make a one ply hinoki soon.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2008 at 3:39am
I have a planer that I bought used on craigslist and a band saw bought from the same guy who coached me into using his machines for 2 hours (I did not ask; I just could not stop him him from telling me how to use and maintain his/my tools). After the coaching he said "I play ping pong with my neighbors every week I want a blade from you"
"I know what you plan was" I said.
The band saw is super; the planer is bit too industrial I think even if portable. They are both $400 tools if you buy them new and he gave me both of them for $100 and he added 7 replacement blades for the band saw only after I promised I'd make a blade for him.
Funny retired guy. I saw this day the highest grade of humanity in Washington state!
I was about to start a class at my daughter's school (24 kids on 4 tables) and I had bought many rubbers from eacheng (24 when I needed less than that) and I put 2 of them on his blade that he found too fast and spinny of course.
The sure thing is he was happy I kept my word.
One ply spruce 92 grams blade with cheap and spinny 729 rubber? man you can't beat it!
I wish he never tells me he went back to his old blade to avoid more teasing from his buddies.
mmmh (?) I should have followed through and ask him. He should have too.
I do 1 ply only right now.
Spruce is cheap but I have gathered here and there that Western Red cedar is even cheaper and at least as good for that matter (no pun intended).

THEMANFZ1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THEMANFZ1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2008 at 3:51am
POC or port orford cedar is the next best thing to Hinoki.  Its really not hard to make the 5 ply blades.  Tools used, bandsaw, table saw, random oscillating sander, bech sander, sanding block and a lot of clamps. Oh yeah I almost forgot...You lucky Bastard!!! I could only dream of getting that kind of a deal, especially when I need a better band saw.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2008 at 4:00am
with your photo (video?!?!?) skills you will soon post a 5-ply blade making from start to finish.
I'll help you with the editing with free to use movie editing software (although I think you will not need me as I had your camera once and I had no idea I could do nice pics like those you posted above).
The pain is to make a decent interesting movie with 5 dozens clips so no matter the skills one will often says "maybe next time".
THEMANFZ1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THEMANFZ1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2008 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

with your photo (video?!?!?) skills you will soon post a 5-ply blade making from start to finish.
I'll help you with the editing with free to use movie editing software (although I think you will not need me as I had your camera once and I had no idea I could do nice pics like those you posted above).
The pain is to make a decent interesting movie with 5 dozens clips so no matter the skills one will often says "maybe next time".

Sounds like a plan.  I will have to write down the steps first in order to get a shooting schedule that makes sense.  I am interested in the editing software however, shoot me a link if you don't mind.
Glueless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glueless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2008 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by THEMANFZ1 THEMANFZ1 wrote:

POC or port orford cedar is the next best thing to Hinoki.�

It sure is:

American Hinoki 9 mm Bald Cypress single-ply
Venus 2.2
Neptune 0.6
Windshield Wiper Grip (Don�t you wish YOU had a 3-sided blade?)
zerowings007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zerowings007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2008 at 5:31pm
Hello THEMANFZ1,

I want to change the top layer of my blade.

What kind of planter that you used to make a thin veneer ? How thin can it get ? what make and model # ?

Do you have the name and address of your local wood distributor ?

thanks for your help.

THEMANFZ1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THEMANFZ1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2008 at 3:09am
Originally posted by zerowings007 zerowings007 wrote:

Hello THEMANFZ1,

I want to change the top layer of my blade.

What kind of planter that you used to make a thin veneer ? How thin can it get ? what make and model # ?

Do you have the name and address of your local wood distributor ?

thanks for your help.

I would not recommend planing your blade due to the fact that it has already been laminated and the glue could chip the planer blades not to mention the probability that you will have tear out.  Your best bet would be to sand off the top layer of wood and glue on a drum sander like this one http://www.grizzly.com/products/12-Baby-Drum-Sander/G0459
I noticed that you are in canada you have a store there called Lee Valley here is the link to their site  http://www.leevalley.com/home.aspx  They are located all over Canada they might sand it for you for a fee or may be able to direct you to a local woodworker that could do it for you if you do not have the equipment.  The drum sander works much like a planer except it uses a sanding belt instead of cutter blades to take off the wood. Careful however the glue will gum up the sanding belt on the sander so don't be surprised if they do not want to sand it down to the glue for that reason.  Lee valley also is a source that you could use to get veneers to build your blade.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zerowings007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2008 at 2:51pm
Thanks THEMANFZ1,
I have recently moved to California. I will be sanding off the top layer of my blades by hand. Looking for a thin layer of Port Orford Cedar, Hinoki or Spruce veneer to replace it.
Most distributors require a big order, but I only need a small amount. Does your supplier sells a small amount of wood, or I have to do my own wood veneer with a planer ?

thanks you
THEMANFZ1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THEMANFZ1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2008 at 6:17pm
I don't think he carries the POC not sure about the spruce.  Another option is yellow alaskan cedar.

I am making another one.  I stained the grips last night and will do the cut out and gluing up tonight maybe even a coat or two of seal.  The grips on this one are birch not tiger wood so not as dramatic in appearance.  I will post pics later.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zerowings007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2008 at 6:48pm
What kind of wood did you used on the new one.

What is the thickness and weight ?
THEMANFZ1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THEMANFZ1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2008 at 6:57pm
two layers of 1/32in balsa, a center core of 1/64in. baltic birch, and 3/32in birch on the outer plys with a birch grips.  The birch is still pretty dense so I am not sure if it will be any lighter than the one pictured above with the tiger wood grips, it was 93grams.  The grips on the above pictured blade are thick 1 1/4 inch wide, so that added weight.  The one I am currently making will have a 1in straight grip and should be lighter.  I was contemplating making the grips out of cork, like american hinoki above has, but I decided to go with birch on this go around.  I'm still working on getting the grip shape just right. 
Glueless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glueless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/2008 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by THEMANFZ1 THEMANFZ1 wrote:

I was contemplating making the grips out of cork, like american hinoki above has, but I decided to go with birch on this go around. I'm still working on getting the grip shape just right.

Before I got my American Hinoki blade, I had never tried a cork handle before. After playing with mine for a couple of weeks now, I would have to say that I absolutely LOVE cork handles. They just feel really great, are much more grippy than a wooden handle and provide vastly superior sweat absorption. I tend to have very sweaty hands when I play.

Since my blade is only a couple of weeks old I cannot speak to the durability of a cork handle, but so far after two weeks of use (approximately 10 or 12 hours of play) the handle still looks unused. So I think it given a little bit of care the cork handle should last for years.
American Hinoki 9 mm Bald Cypress single-ply
Venus 2.2
Neptune 0.6
Windshield Wiper Grip (Don�t you wish YOU had a 3-sided blade?)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic