FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Donic Opticon - Brief Review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Donic Opticon - Brief Review
    Posted: 10/23/2008 at 9:55pm
Hi guys,

Remember that I have been asking you about Balsa lately.  Finally, I bought Donic Opticon.  By the way, I have to remind you that Opticon is not fully Balsa.  One of the reviewers in German forum gave this structure of construction:

Beech (0.5 mm) - Abachi (2 mm) - Balsa (2.5 mm) - Abachi (2 mm) - Beech (0.5 mm)
Total thickness = 7.5 mm

I measured mine and got the following:
Beech (~0.3 mm) - Abachi (1.5 mm) - Balsa (3.5 mm) - Abachi (1.5 mm) - Beech (0.3 mm)
Total thickness = 7.1 mm
By the way, I am sure about Balsa and Beech, but I am not sure about Abachi.  It looks like Ayous to me.

Weight is 80.5 gram but after I sealed it with 1 layer of Donic non-VOC lacquer, the weight is 81.3 (yeah, 0.8 gram difference).  Handle is normal FL (no Senso nor Dicon hollow handle) which is nice.  It fits my hand perfectly.

I put Mark V Xs Max on FH and Sriver EL 2.1 on BH.  I usually have Mark V 2.0 and Sriver EL 2.1 for testing all my blades (so I eliminate all the differences contributed by rubbers), but since the Mark V is worn out, I replaced it with Mark V Xs.

With 2 rubbers, the weight is 171 gr, which is a bit light for my taste.  But it is really balanced and not head heavy.

Playing Characteristics
:  Since this is not fully balsa, it is not too springy as I first expected from various comments.  It is stiff and light, good for blocking and hitting / driving.  For looping, it still has good dwell time.  I can do fast loop and slow loop fine.  It is not fast, probably All+/Off- normally, unless you are doing hard impact shot and the spring effect raise the speed to solid Off.  It has 2nd kick during hard hit which does not come from flexibility.  This blade is stiff, so 2nd kick comes from something else.  My feeling that this blade does not behave linearly.  At high impact shot, it becomes very fast and felt stiff / firm, but at low impact shot, it becomes slow and soft.  So you must be careful during short game, because the ball can go off the table easily if you put more force.  But given the right touch (after you get familiar with the blade), I can produce very spinny push with EL on BH, much spinnier compared to my other blades.

I might be able to give a more comprehensive review later on, when I have played for let's say a month.  I just had it for no more than a week.

I hope this answers the request of a forum member (I forgot who he/she was) that asked for a review if I get the blade.

Sponsored Links

GenomicsKnight View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenomicsKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2008 at 12:31am
Nice review.  By the way Abachi is Ayous, and vice-versa.
CEO, Single Ply Hinoki Club
TSP Dynam 10.5mm
and other fine 1-ply Kiso Hinoki blades
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2008 at 1:01am
Thank you.  I frequently heard about Abachi but never know what it looks like.  I know the look of Ayous but never know that it is actually Abachi (same thing) Embarrassed
Brainstorm69 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brainstorm69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2008 at 1:19am
Originally posted by doraemon doraemon wrote:

I hope this answers the request of a forum member (I forgot who he/she was) that asked for a review if I get the blade.

It was me.  Thanks much for the review.  And just to confirm, this is the Opticon, not the Opticon RS, correct?

Also, you didn't mention anything about the vibration, or the lack thereof.  From everything I've read, there should be little or no vibration with the Opticon.  Is this your experience?
F3S | Tulpe T-7007 | F3S
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2008 at 9:28am

Opticon RS has a little vibration. I think Option has more vibration due to thinner balsa center ply. Opticon RS is fast, has long dwell time. Control is better than Carbon Blades.

Andro Wanokiwami AO Offensive 83 gr
H3 National Orange 40 deg 2.2
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2008 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by Brainstorm69 Brainstorm69 wrote:

Originally posted by doraemon doraemon wrote:

It was me.  Thanks much for the review.  And just to confirm, this is the Opticon, not the Opticon RS, correct?

Also, you didn't mention anything about the vibration, or the lack thereof.  From everything I've read, there should be little or no vibration with the Opticon.  Is this your experience?

Sorry, I missed this completely.

I just want to confirm that I got the Opticon, not the Opticon RS.

About vibration, I still feel a bit of vibration, but very subtle compared to Korbel or Samsonov Alpha.

Odd thing, when I put a tape on the handle (just to experiment), the feel of the blade becomes better, with a more pronounced vibration.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic