Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Koto wood vs. limba wood

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
hut8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hut8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Koto wood vs. limba wood
    Posted: 11/01/2008 at 9:38am
lima  vs.  koto  outer  plies  which  is  harder,which  more  springy which  is  more  durable.
Sponsored Links

hut8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hut8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2008 at 11:32am
tell me
BKTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BKTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2008 at 12:13pm
Assuming the thicknes is the same,
Koto is harder, and limba softer.
CL+H3+64
Jolan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jolan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2008 at 1:33pm

That's what I thought too, but I recently played with a MMaze rocket hard like a rock just after playing with an old TBS which felt much softer actually. So I'd say, in genral : yes, limba softer, but sometimes you might find exceptions.

Joola Wyzaryz Freeze
Vega pro 2.0mm
Vega intro 2.0mm
Blade collection : https://photos.app.goo.gl/PrgCu5ib5RnhVXTn9
BKTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BKTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/02/2008 at 1:26am
possibly due to the inner plies on this occasion? (also sometimes the veneers are not of the intended thickness as the designer wants it)
CL+H3+64
firetack View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firetack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/02/2008 at 7:40am
which has more rebound.koto or limba?
Black Balsa 3.0 fh/tenergy 05 1.9 388d ox

W0LovePP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W0LovePP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/26/2014 at 10:45am
Could someone respond to firetack's post? In other words, which has better short game (better control near the table), koto or limba as surface veneer?

Assuming everything else is the same.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/26/2014 at 11:08am
Originally posted by Jolan Jolan wrote:

That's what I thought too, but I recently played with a MMaze rocket hard like a rock just after playing with an old TBS which felt much softer actually. So I'd say, in genral : yes, limba softer, but sometimes you might find exceptions.

This is exactly true.  It seems to vary by batch.

TBS uses neither limba nor koto to my rememberance.  It's something different that looks like ayous, but has a bit of a yellow pine look.  Someone will tell us.

Edited by cole_ely - 09/26/2014 at 11:15am
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Dorje View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dorje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/26/2014 at 2:30pm

Koto vs Limba outer layer. 

Koto:

Koto has short dwell time so it is great for players who prefers that spin is generated more with the rubbers topsheet than sponge. It has good speed for smashes due to short dwell time. Fibres are quite densely connected, hence it usually does not splinter off. It is suitable for players who likes to "rebound" the ball back for the soft touches, doesn't like the ball to stay on the blade too long. It is good for close to the table attackers. Under that quite hard koto surface layer we do not see second layer as carbon only (carbon is always mixed with some other type of fiber: Arylate, Aramid, Kevlar, Zylon...). If second layer is pure carbon, than the blade has ussually hinoki surface. 

Limba:

Limba has quite long dwell time so it is great for players who prefers that spin is  generated with the rubbers sponge not as much as with the topsheet. Limba by itself has low speed due to long dwell time, which is probably (correct me if I am wrong) due to a bit loosely connected wood fibres of the wood type (which is also the reason why it sometimes splinters off). Limba is suitable for players who prefers to hold the ball longer on the racket and those who prefer to generate the power shots by himself. Some players for example: Jun Mizutani, Vladimir Samsanov, Petr Korbel.

Timo Boll Spirit An

Fh: Joola Rhyzm Max red

Bh: Tibhar Aurus Max black
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2015 at 4:43pm
A brief note on this topic. 

In Sid's excellent thread explaining the properties of various popular BTY blades, he commented:
Originally posted by assiduous assiduous wrote:

If you are good already, dont go for limba blades, and consequently pass on ANY Innerfoce blade. 
I look at what Sid recommends (basically that if you like going through the ball with open paddle rather than brushing it, eschew Limba and use Koto outers instead). Then, I look at the world's top players' games and select one guy who would have specifically that kind of game that Sid describes. Kind of like the world's Koto representative.

It would have to be Ma Long. More than any other player in the world.

Except that Ma Long actually uses a Innerforce type blade with Limba outers!

So, it is not as apparent as it seems. 

I think Koto vs Limba choice also depends on the rubber one wants to use. In Europe, TB-ALC might be the most popular blade among pros & they pair it with T05. However, when I look at the pros that use MX-P (Drinkhall, Samsonov, Freitas, Tokic, etc) they all seem to be pairing that rubber with blades that have limba outers.

The reason I bring this up is that as I've moved from T05 to harder Tensor rubbers, I find that they match up with Limba better. MX-P feels way better on a MJ-SZLC than on a ZJK-ALC.

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2015 at 4:50pm
Freitas uses T05. Limba vs. Koto is largely personal. Unfortunately, we like to all pretend that these things are more scientific than they really are. Rubber choice is a different story.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
LOOPMEISTER View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2015 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

TBS uses neither limba nor koto to my rememberance.  It's something different that looks like ayous, but has a bit of a yellow pine look.  Someone will tell us.

Question

Considering a Timo Boll Spirit is the same construction as a Timo Boll ALC, Zhang Jike ALC, Viscaria, etc, (koto outers) but with different handles, many people are going to be surprised this revelation.

Edited by LOOPMEISTER - 04/02/2015 at 5:27pm
lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2015 at 7:21pm
FWIW:

http://www.wood-database.com/lumber-identification/hardwoods/koto/http://www.woodworkingnetwork.com/wood-archives/wood-products-magazine/koto_127690623.html#sthash.Olk5QMbv.dpbs

"Koto is also used in the production of sporting goods. Its wood surface plies are used in the production of some table tennis blades. ?Koto wood surface plies encourage crisp, fast blocks and hard hitting for sharper ball contact and faster rebound,? says the maker of the high-tech table tennis paddles called The Ninth Wonder, which are priced at $169 per blade. "

http://www.wood-database.com/lumber-identification/hardwoods/limba/ 
http://oneofakindtrading.com.au/Limba-table-tennis-blades.htm

"When used for constructing blades, limba and ayous seem similar. They both are soft and have heavy grains. Typically the limba blades are a bit more expensive, so you'll find them more commonly in the Japanese and euro blades and the ayous more in the chinese, although there are exceptions. Limba grains seem a bit tighter and don't shed as badly. As a result it's probably just a touch harder. Both should be sealed before gluing, but ayous MUST be sealed or it WILL strip off with the rubber."

W0LovePP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W0LovePP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2015 at 8:51pm
What I would like to know is which one is better for pushing/pushes, koto or limba on the surface with everything else being the same.
asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2015 at 10:03pm
the koto on my zxi backed by zephillium carbon provides a superb kick.

"I do not have any idols. I am my own idol." - Zhang Jike

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71761&PN=1#905629
sonykurniawan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sonykurniawan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2015 at 2:48am
Originally posted by W0LovePP W0LovePP wrote:

What I would like to know is which one is better for pushing/pushes, koto or limba on the surface with everything else being the same.

Imho, koto will be more direct and limba a bit bouncy... But that also depending on the rubber.
Victor_the_cleaner View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor_the_cleaner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2015 at 2:18pm
Yes, all things equal, koto is better for pushing and short game control because it is less bouncy and more direct. I happen to completely agree with the cutoffs from line32's post.

What does Ma Long use? What is the exact contruction? 

It is important to note that the differences in wood are easily noticeable only if all other factors are held the same. There is a big difference between IF on one side, and Maze and Mizutani on the other. They are made of exactly same plies, (maze and if alc    and mizutani and if zlc) but in different order. Putting the carbon layer immediately after the first layer of limba creates a harder feel because the wood cannot compress as much before hitting the carbon. It also makes the blade stiffer. If the carbon layers are closer together the blade will have more flex. If  you put both carbon layers right in the middle, they will reduce flex very little and the touch will be almost like wood blade (but not the price). 

With that said, I would be very surprised if Ma Long plays with IF type of blade. If the carbon is under the first layer, that would make it Mizutani type, although I admit i never thought of Ma Long using limba at all, so..
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2015 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by Victor_the_cleaner Victor_the_cleaner wrote:

What does Ma Long use? What is the exact contruction?

His professional version of the Hurricane Long 5 is as follows: limba - ayous - ALC - ayous - ALC - ayous - limba
king_pong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote king_pong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/05/2015 at 12:51am
Koto for cho's,  Limba for pros  Wink
Stiga Infinity VPS (Master): fh/bh - Nittaku Hammond CR max
asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/05/2015 at 12:52am
Originally posted by king_pong king_pong wrote:

Koto for cho's,  Limba for pros  Wink

:/ my last name starts with Cho and I'm not even Chinese.

"I do not have any idols. I am my own idol." - Zhang Jike

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71761&PN=1#905629
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2015 at 4:44pm
BTW: FZD, of course, uses limba.

Besides Ma Long, Fang Bo uses the same Innerforce-type blade with limba outers as well (I think both use the W997 which is similar to the Hurricane Long 5):

Giangt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Giangt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2015 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by Victor_the_cleaner Victor_the_cleaner wrote:

.... I admit i never thought of Ma Long using limba at all, so..
The 506 he played during his long winning streak was Limba as well.
aroonkl View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aroonkl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2015 at 5:38pm
I hate that funny looking picture. Angry
What did they think when they chose it ! It gotta be better looking pic of his. LOLLOL
[/QUOTE]

Edited by aroonkl - 04/06/2015 at 5:43pm
NoRema View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoRema Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2015 at 5:58pm
If i remember correctly Ma long was a violin player for a long while wasn't he? Definitely not a koto player ;)

Click the picture for feedback ^
Ray View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2015 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by NoRema NoRema wrote:

If i remember correctly Ma long was a violin player for a long while wasn't he? Definitely not a koto player ;)

Actually ML was Acoustic player
Life is too short for defensive play.

https://twitter.com/spinnier_com
fb.me/spinnier
NoRema View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoRema Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2015 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by Ray Ray wrote:

before accoustic ;)

Edited by NoRema - 04/06/2015 at 6:28pm

bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/07/2015 at 12:06am
Originally posted by Ray Ray wrote:

and a  nittaku rutis at 18
vivan4tt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vivan4tt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/07/2015 at 7:44am

Definitely not a koto player ;)

He played with a Timo Boll Spirit, Koto outer. see at 1min33 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40fdLema5lo

And it is not like he was using it in a minor event, in fact it was the most important match of the year 2010 for him. 

He was sponsored by Nittaku, but Rutis and Acoustic were lacking power. 

ANd this is why I can't stop laughing when I read that "TBS is for European looping style" on various forums from guys that obviously know nothing about blades.
Timo Boll Spirit and Timo Boll ALC are ultra popular blades in Chinese Superleague also. 

Edited by vivan4tt - 04/07/2015 at 7:55am
Mizutani sZLC / T05fx / T05fx
NoRema View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoRema Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/07/2015 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by vivan4tt vivan4tt wrote:

Definitely not a koto player ;)

He played with a Timo Boll Spirit, Koto outer. see at 1min33 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40fdLema5lo

And it is not like he was using it in a minor event, in fact it was the most important match of the year 2010 for him. 

He was sponsored by Nittaku, but Rutis and Acoustic were lacking power. 

ANd this is why I can't stop laughing when I read that "TBS is for European looping style" on various forums from guys that obviously know nothing about blades.
Timo Boll Spirit and Timo Boll ALC are ultra popular blades in Chinese Superleague also. 

ahh, i find it hard that i forgot about the tbs, my friend actually has THAT SPECIFIC tbs

Edited by NoRema - 04/07/2015 at 2:35pm

lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2015 at 11:06am
Good info on different woods:

http://www.tabletennisdb.com/blog/wood/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic