Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Joola Express one and two

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
drclaude1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drclaude1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Joola Express one and two
    Posted: 11/09/2008 at 12:18pm
Has anyone tried either one of these rubbers yet?
Carbonado 290

Rakza7
Rakza7
Sponsored Links

BHDoom View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BHDoom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2008 at 12:54pm
i have hit some with Ex1, pretty nice, defintely some glue effect there, topsheet looks nice, good sound even, i am still tuning but if i was to give up that i might make the switch to that rubber, Ex2 is softer i think, Ex1 doesnt feel hard to me at all so Ex2 would probably feel too soft for me, i just dont like the thicknesses, comes in 2.0 and 2.3
BTY Viscaria FL

FH: Black BTY T05 2.1

BH: Red BTY T64 2.1
Hans Regenkurt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2008 at 1:23pm
Express 1 is quite nice, however, do not expect it to perform as well as a glued up sheet. Express 2 is very soft and rather slow.
varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2008 at 1:43pm
I have played against a player who is using Express 1 on the forehand and Express 2 on the backhand. There is tremendous power for looping with express 1. I had problem in countering his loops. The rubber is very thick, so make sure you dont put speed glue or many layers of glue on it to make it more thicker.
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2008 at 2:46pm
I've been testings Express One for about three weeks.  When I got it, it was right at the start of a tournament (so I had no chance to play with it) and I had a hard time adjusting.  I had previously been playing with Sriver L and speed glue.

After that tournament, I spent about two weeks doing a side-by-side test between Express One and Stiga Boost TC.  In many ways, they are the opposite.  My Boost rubber had a very sticky top sheet, soft sponge, and was pretty slow (compared to my old Sriver with speed glue).  The Express One top sheet is not even slightly sticky, the sponge is medium hard, and it is fast.  Eventually, I decided I didn't like the Boost TC rubber, so a few days ago I started doing a side-by-side comparison betwen Express One and Tenergy O5.

The biggest change for me with Express One is that the rubber is less grippy that Sriver.  With grippy rubbers, you can often pick up the ball ("grab it") with just the top sheet, in order to loop.  In the past, I used this often on the BH.  However, Express One won't grab the ball at all and you have to hit hard enough into the ball so that it will dig into the sponge.  Also, Express One has a flatter trajectory that Sriver, with less curve.  At that first tournament, those two changes caused me a lot of problems.  Now, however, I've had a few weeks of practice and I can do pretty well with it.

I'm still comparing Express One with Tenergy 05, but I can tell you that most of my opponents and practice partners report that they can't tell the difference.  I'll post more when I've had more time on this comparison.
varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2008 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by benfb benfb wrote:

I've been testings Express One for about three weeks.  When I got it, it was right at the start of a tournament (so I had no chance to play with it) and I had a hard time adjusting.  I had previously been playing with Sriver L and speed glue.

After that tournament, I spent about two weeks doing a side-by-side test between Express One and Stiga Boost TC.  In many ways, they are the opposite.  My Boost rubber had a very sticky top sheet, soft sponge, and was pretty slow (compared to my old Sriver with speed glue).  The Express One top sheet is not even slightly sticky, the sponge is medium hard, and it is fast.  Eventually, I decided I didn't like the Boost TC rubber, so a few days ago I started doing a side-by-side comparison betwen Express One and Tenergy O5.

The biggest change for me with Express One is that the rubber is less grippy that Sriver.  With grippy rubbers, you can often pick up the ball ("grab it") with just the top sheet, in order to loop.  In the past, I used this often on the BH.  However, Express One won't grab the ball at all and you have to hit hard enough into the ball so that it will dig into the sponge.  Also, Express One has a flatter trajectory that Sriver, with less curve.  At that first tournament, those two changes caused me a lot of problems.  Now, however, I've had a few weeks of practice and I can do pretty well with it.

I'm still comparing Express One with Tenergy 05, but I can tell you that most of my opponents and practice partners report that they can't tell the difference.  I'll post more when I've had more time on this comparison.

Very good comparison.

I have not used Express 1 and Boost TC. I can probably do it only next year as US Nationals is coming up. After looking at Express 1, it has the German technology with similar to Tensor bios. Look at some of the rallies between Chen Weixing and Kenta M. . Chen W. uses Express 1. As you have said, "grabbing the ball" for brush loop would be little easy against underspin, but the trouble will be against no spin ball. Agaist the top spin, you have to take advantage of the full rubber.

drclaude1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drclaude1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2008 at 5:03pm
Can anyone compare them to speed fx?
Carbonado 290

Rakza7
Rakza7
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2008 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by varghesep varghesep wrote:

I have not used Express 1 and Boost TC. I can probably do it only next year as US Nationals is coming up. After looking at Express 1, it has the German technology with similar to Tensor bios. Look at some of the rallies between Chen Weixing and Kenta M. . Chen W. uses Express 1. As you have said, "grabbing the ball" for brush loop would be little easy against underspin, but the trouble will be against no spin ball. Agaist the top spin, you have to take advantage of the full rubber.

That's a great video.  Chen looked superb.

I understand what you're saying about Nationals.  I've been trying to find a good rubber all fall and I have a fear that by Nationals I still won't have a comfortabe choice.  Unlike some people, I prefer to stick with one paddle and rubber.  Unfortunately, the glue ban forced me to change.

There is one more rubber I would like to test, but it's not available yet: Tibhar Nimbus VIP.  I've hit with some people's Nimbus (regular) and it's pretty good but a little soft.  The VIP version is supposed to be harder.

In the meanwhile, I'm focused on Express One versus Tenergy.
rustyfo View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustyfo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2008 at 7:11pm
in that video Matsudeira really looks like he needs to pack on 5-10kgs of muscle if he is to have a fighting chance. His loops are sooo slow.
Blade: Tibhar Samsonov Alpha

FH: Tenergy 05

BH: Acuda S1
ohhgourami View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2008 at 9:15pm

Very good comparison.

are you sure that Chen Weixing uses Express 1?  i always thought he uses Drum CWX.
Custom Walnut 7-ply
DHS H3 Provincial untuned 40°
BTY T64
210g
BHDoom View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BHDoom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2008 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by ohhgourami ohhgourami wrote:

Very good comparison.

are you sure that Chen Weixing uses Express 1?  i always thought he uses Drum CWX.

i dont think he ever used that CWX, just what joola wants you to believe, i thought he used Hurricane, not sure, maybe since the glue ban he has changed to Express, that would be a tough change for his style i would think to go from tacky chinese glued to grippy tensor bios, but then again he is an amazing player so i am sure he could adjust
BTY Viscaria FL

FH: Black BTY T05 2.1

BH: Red BTY T64 2.1
ohhgourami View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2008 at 10:13pm
im pretty sure he used CWX since my friend got a chance to ask him at the US Open
Custom Walnut 7-ply
DHS H3 Provincial untuned 40°
BTY T64
210g
varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2008 at 10:30pm

I think there is some wrong information going around. I had spend a good amount of time with Chen at the club as well as personally outside of the club when he was here last time. He does not use DHS Hurricane 3 as far as I know. He has used Joola Drum (not the CWX commercial version) with TSP Speed Glue against heavy curvy loopers. The Drum CWX is a soft version of Drum with the same top sheet. He uses CWX with certain players only - also with a lot of speed glue.

On his backhand he uses TSP Curl P1R as well as Joola Octopus. At the tournaments he uses Octopus against pushers. Against heavy loopers like Rosskopf he uses TSP Curl P1R.

Chen uses Express 1 after the glue ban as far as I know. I don't get a chance to ask him this time when he is at the Joola Team Event. If he replies my email, I will let you know guys.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic