Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Playing a chopper

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author
kmh888 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmh888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2007 at 1:43pm

be extremely patient. just wait till the chopper pops the ball up then kill it

Gatien Extra
FH: Hurricane Provincial
BH: Palio CJ800 Speed

Special thick glue
Sponsored Links

bogeyhunter View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogeyhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2007 at 3:33pm
Just play the way you play.
The fact is .....you can't beat chopper!Ouch
mdjenders View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdjenders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2007 at 6:05pm
One interesting, last-gasp strategy to try when getting murdered by a chopper is to reverse the roles in the match.  Serve a long, attackable ball to the chopper's forehand and immediately retreat way back and start lobbing deep with topspin.  Sometimes this will rattle the player, forcing them to attack when they are not comfortable doing so on every shot.  After lobbing a few to the chopper's forehand side, throw in one to the backhand especially if they are using long pips.  The intent is to cause an awkward return that can be killed with a swift charge to the table.  This also works nicely against some of the "take it off the bounce" close to the table Neubauer blockers.
varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2007 at 11:48am
Some players have troubled me by giving heavy underspin serves to my pips. Sometimes I misunderstand and take the shot as top spin. It is very hard to return heavy underspin balls by long pips generally. As anybody struggle against underspin, the heavy underspin balls are enemies to long pips.

mdjenders View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdjenders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2007 at 3:21pm
That is true, varghesep.  It depends on what kind of pips and sponge you are using, but it is generally difficult to push against underspin with long pips and return a decent amount of underspin.  Without a very aggressive chopping stroke, the end result is a no spin or slight topspin that is waiting to be killed.  Twiddling is always a good play for the chopper against this kind of serve to use the inverted for the opening push.
varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2007 at 8:17am
You are correct.
HunkyTonk View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HunkyTonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/10/2007 at 2:55am
Hmm...ok...this is what you should do:

Choppers usually weak on their drives...so serve with alotta mount of sidespin then push hard to the corner, followed with a hard smash

or (my fav)

Serve short, then loop (full power) his return, followed with a hard smash.

When playing against chopper, set your tactics right, dont give him a chance to think. Wink
Schlager Carbon
Fh-Coppa JO Gold,
BH-Donic F3

http://www.tenismeja.tk
Spindrive@50 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spindrive@50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/18/2007 at 7:22am
Yes, a chopper or anyone defensively oriented player, is actually a kind of irritating, frustrating yet entertaining opponent.
If he/she is a regular game playing partner, I'd like to not to beat them but develop the consistency in my looping skills, stamina and in the long run, also be able to develop strategic placement combination which could expose their weaknesses.
Anyone chopper is different from one another so it really takes time to learn how to defeat them and playing against them requires an attitude of patience, perseverance and great stamina.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogeyhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/18/2007 at 7:48am
Originally posted by HunkyTonk HunkyTonk wrote:

Choppers usually weak on their drives...so serve with alotta mount of sidespin - What if they use LP side to return your serve? You got it back !!!! then push hard to the corner - They lift, followed with a hard smash

or (my fav)

When playing against chopper, set your tactics right, dont give him a chance to think. Wink - When chopper play OFF player, they don't have to think much......they play OFF player all the time!!!!!!

Read the one posted after you. That one is good.
HunkyTonk View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HunkyTonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/19/2007 at 12:10am
Originally posted by bogeyhunter bogeyhunter wrote:

Choppers usually weak on their drives...so serve with alotta mount of sidespin - What if they use LP side to return your serve? You got it back !!!! ( i guess you aint that smart...if the opponent uses LP, you shouldnt serve to the LP...serve short to the forehand...jeezzz) then push hard to the corner - They lift (Choppers usually fail often when lifting the balls, if they do, it wouldnt be a strong lifting) followed with a hard smash

or (my fav)

When playing against chopper, set your tactics right, dont give him a chance to think. Wink - When chopper play OFF player, they don't have to think much......they play OFF player all the time!!!!!! (Dude, i said tactics..it means before playing....Dude choppers DO think...they always try to put Off player outta position (disable the opponents position to loop)

Read the one posted after you. That one is good. (everybody has good points except you LOLLOL)
Schlager Carbon
Fh-Coppa JO Gold,
BH-Donic F3

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogeyhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/19/2007 at 12:37am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fP-xQ6E4F4Y
Your tactic maybe good but this kind of topspin won't cause good choppers any trouble.
HunkyTonk View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HunkyTonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/19/2007 at 1:12am

I was playing with a counterdriver in that video not a chopper....usually when im againts a new good player....i do random shoot (random amount of topspin, driving to every corner etc)...see what they're capable of...after im done gathering information....i take a break...get a drink...and thinking about the tactics how to beat him....then play again

That's what i often do....sounds funny...but it works...SmileSmile
Schlager Carbon
Fh-Coppa JO Gold,
BH-Donic F3

drew collins View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drew collins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2007 at 7:11pm
watch some of joo see hyuk videos. then you can see how the pros play choppers.
drywater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drywater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2007 at 1:26am
i hate playing choppers. they are so annoying with only one type of shot. sometimes i jus hit it real high with no spin to see if they would slam it, but no they jus chop it back over. so frustrating
cagaragesales View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cagaragesales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2007 at 9:39pm
What's all the fuss about playing against defenders? I think it's tons of fun playing with them! Different style of table tennis and the game becomes interesting to watch. I yearn to see those classic battles of offensive vs defensive players going all out at each other. Anyways, thanks for the tips Larry Hodges, they were great!
jared table ttk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jared table ttk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2007 at 4:15pm
olviously every defensive player is different but my advice is loop consistantely to theyre middle when theyre backspin gets to much push it or touch it to the bachand if the defensive player chops this back there will ba a little bit of top witch you can the topspin verhard and make a winner     ( i hope ) lol
TTReactor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TTReactor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2007 at 4:21pm
I used to have a lot problems with chopers/defenders/blockers. Now I am much better as my ratio is on 60-40 to winning a match. It is all about playing more and more with choppers. If you have one to practice with you are golden. Yeas they are all different but overal I think it is same to play with.
Exclusive Table Tennis Gear & Official Distributor
http://www.TTReactor.homestead.com
varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2007 at 4:40pm
As one of my friend said at the club, get a long pips and play against the chopper - eye for eye Smile.
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2007 at 5:01pm

Originally posted by bogeyhunter bogeyhunter wrote:

Choppers usually weak on their drives...so serve with alotta mount of sidespin - What if they use LP side to return your serve? You got it back !!!! ( i guess you aint that smart...if the opponent uses LP, you shouldnt serve to the LP...serve short to the forehand...jeezzz) then push hard to the corner - They lift (Choppers usually fail often when lifting the balls, if they do, it wouldnt be a strong lifting) followed with a hard smash

or (my fav)

Serve short, then loop (full power) his return, followed with a hard smash.

When playing against chopper, set your tactics right, dont give him a chance to think. Wink - When chopper play OFF player, they don't have to think much......they play OFF player all the time!!!!!! (Dude, i said tactics..it means before playing....Dude choppers DO think...they always try to put Off player outta position (disable the opponents position to loop)

Read the one posted after you. That one is good. (everybody has good points except you LOLLOL)

Serve to Fh, ok, but you do know that a lot of Lp users twiddle? Tehn what will you gain by serving at his Fh, you will still get the Lp effect back at you. Also, the sidespin serve suggestion, thats a low level advice, works greatm, but at higher level, sidespin gets killed most of the time, even defenders can hit through it.

Thinking before facing an opponent is good, but when playing, time is essential, the less time you spend thinking about what you should do, the more time you can spend on doing it. In this case, def players holds the advantage as they plays heck of a lot more off players then off players play def.

There is no such thing as an easy solution on how to beat a chopper. Like with any other style, you have to read your opponent and find his/her weaknesses and exploit them. One thing that should be considered when playing choppers are rhythm, it's essential not to let them build any rhythm. How this is achieved is different against different players. Some hat the variation between short and long, other are vulnerable at their cross over point while the third might have trouble handling spin variation.

Bogeyhunter actually made one good suggestion, (Look at the poster after you) which is more then you managed to do, still, nice try
The holy grail
gnopgnipster View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnopgnipster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2007 at 7:21pm
When I play a very heavy spin looper I flip the racket and chop the ball with the long pips. If you want to use the short pips make sure you get low on you stance and follow through on your chop with a downward slightly forward motion. Most of the time the ball pops up because you don't follow through on the swing. If the loop cannot be controlled this way then flip the racket, chop it bACK with the long pips and give him a chop that is proportional to his loop. Lets see how he likes that.

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/2007 at 1:24pm
Loads of practice - that's the only way!

Reminds me of a time when I played a very experienced and very good chopper (I was 23, he was 50) and this was not my first time with him - the previous two I lost because I played in my usual hesitating manner waiting for another guy to commit a mistake or attack me - and pushing back and forth with this guy was killing me both physically and mentally. That was a rather important match at the district championship level so I really wanted to win.

So, when I lost the first game, in the second, after we went over 10 (that was  approx. in the 1990) I saw I had no prayer, so I said to myself: what do you have to lose? So I started throwing him long and high lobs - right from the beginning, without any provocation - and he bought it. He started swinging at them, and I easily counterattacked; or he simply missed after a couple of hits. I won the second game, but then he calmed down in the third and stopped taking my bait.. I think I lost that one eventually, but I gained a very good lesson

Which is: your brain is as important to you in TT as your arms and legs !!
Use it not just to store the experience but to make decisions right there based on it during the game...don't just wave your arms and hit the ball.. get yourself a good strategy or some tactical ideas when you see that your regular game is not good enough against this opponent.

Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
colleur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colleur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2007 at 11:08am
I love playing against defenders, I gently tope then faster and faster in the backside
Without forgetting to push some of the balls and bring them back closer to the table with strollers and small tops
Blade: Nittaku Violin
FH and BH: Mark V 30 Max
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2007 at 11:13am
This is definitely a good approach but once in a while you should play a match with a chopper and try and get competitive - that'll give you a taste of a real match athmosphere, not to mention you would have to expend some real amount of energy!

colleur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colleur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2007 at 11:21am
My partner is also chopper, which also explains that I am competitive on this type of player
Blade: Nittaku Violin
FH and BH: Mark V 30 Max
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2007 at 11:25am
Originally posted by colleur colleur wrote:

My partner is also chopper, which also explains that I am competitive on this type of player

Lucky you!

dek-dek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dek-dek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2007 at 3:06pm
choppers like it to the body. it depends on what rubbers they are using aswell. with pips out i usually keep it to them and eventually the ball wil pop up and an easy smas to win the point
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2007 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by dek-dek dek-dek wrote:

choppers like it to the body. it depends on what rubbers they are using aswell. with pips out i usually keep it to them and eventually the ball wil pop up and an easy smas to win the point

The main question is - are you good enough to keep the ball flying until they make a mistake?

Don't forget that many of the choppers can suddenly attack if they see an easy opening... watch some of the Matsush*ta clips on YouTube...

dek-dek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dek-dek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2007 at 3:14pm

thats true aswell. well im speechless

Leon Reid View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon Reid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2007 at 12:46pm
to beat a chopper u atttack to there body as that is where they are weekest
also do slow spiny balls out wide when they drift back from the table as most choppers find these difficult to control

if the chopper is particularly good then you will need to push the odd ball short doing so before the peak of teh bounce and then attack long again

Seen it all done it all lost the t-shirt

Time is fikle so dont waste a second

Freinds are fikle but feel free 2 squander them

Blade:Clipper WRB
FH:Vario Soft
BH:Neos
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2007 at 10:27pm
Another good strategy against a chopper sending you long balls is to suddenly drop the ball really close to the net while at the same time stopping it short - you need to practice that because this is not such an easy thing to do - but it could be very very effective against mid-level choppers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
  Share Topic