Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Playing a chopper

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
Author
liondefence View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liondefence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2008 at 6:48pm
lol, perfect LOL. As a Chopper, I'll shall take these tips and strengthen my weaknesses mwuahahaha
Mind over power.

Donic Defplay Senso (FL)
FH: Globe 999 N-in
BH: TSP CURL P1-R
Overgrip: Wilson(White)
Sponsored Links

hpesoj07 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hpesoj07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/05/2008 at 5:29am

playing a chopper.... there are many ways how to play a chopper....

1)  you must practice a very heavy loop spin and a flicks... try this one by buying some balls maybe 100 pieces.. and you must find a partner who can practice you and who will trow you the balls in order for you to practice looping...

2)  when playing with choppers dont give to much spins with your chops, just try to bring the ball in their court and just try be relax...

3)  also, choppers are affraid with a rolling service... they are not good in returning it... when they return a rolling service you can easily attack them..

4)  try also using old rubbers for your backhand or should i say you must practice how to use anti spin rubbers...

thats all i hope you can win with him now...
IceDefence View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IceDefence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/05/2008 at 4:15pm
My coach ays, topspin and lot of patience
DHS PG2-L

FH: Butterfly Tackiness Chop II Red 1.9
BH: Joola Poker Black 1.2
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2008 at 12:55pm
I can't remember ever losing to a chopper that used inverted pimples on both sides in my whole life, I love playing those guys, side spin to the left, step left, loop. If they get one back hit another one untill they are too far from the table to impart any decent amount of spin on the ball and hit the kill shot, you can't lose. If you watch the ball for a dead push that has no spin (most choppers will try and trick you with variations in spin) you should be able to get a backhand flick in on the spinless balls they throw at you).

If they have long pimples on one side well that becomes a whole other bigger problem. But definatly invest in getting a strong loop forehand and backhand and you wont have to worry about choppers anymore. You will however start to worry about the guys that refuse to chop as this is the best way to beat a looper

unisonus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unisonus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2008 at 6:07pm
Quote lol, perfect LOL. As a Chopper, I'll shall take these tips and strengthen my weaknesses mwuahahaha

Every style of play has some innate, irremediable weaknesses.

Since choppers play at a distance, they may be moved to and fro as well as side to side. Moving them to and away from the table is just as important, and more effective, than just moving them side to side. In fact, choppers love wide angles. Looping the middle and pushing a short ball unpredictably is a very powerful tactic. Just wait for the chopper to pop up your push and attack his elbow.

Choppers, like all shakehanders, are vulnerable to attacks where they have to decide between forehand and backhand strokes. But a lot of choppers avoid indecision by always preferring the backhand (which is mechanically better suited for chopping). In this case, one strategy is to keep looping aggressively and continuously to their forehand side, so that they are position far away from the table on that side, with their backhand in play. When they are far enough, you can push or loop at a wide angle to their backhand side.

Learn to consistently loop backspin with your backhand. That opens up a world of opportunities against choppers.

Dreamer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2008 at 1:15pm

U R right. I have played with many players whose attacks are really powerful. I like chopping wih flat rubbers (bad performed movements means passing the ball in a really high basis). When getting the right touch to chop the ball...I assure you it is quite difficult to my opponenet to win the point (sometimes smashing the ball is not enough)

Dreamer
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2008 at 5:24pm
I must confess that after playing with several choppers and defenders using LPs I came up with a tricky plan - I put used Srivers FX on my spare carbon blade (W-1) which basically allows me to pay much less attention than usual to the spin coming back from them. Then I simply move them around a bit and go for the flat kill shot - it's enough that the ball is just a tad above the net; if your rubbers are closer to Anti than to their original condition then you don't care that much about spin. You shouldn't undertake a lot of looping of your own, since your rubbers won't go for it - just do precise controlled pushing and blocking and then hit them hard. If they return ball - usually with a relatively high chop or lob from far zone - then you need to smash and kill it... preferably to the side.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
TT_Freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT_Freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2008 at 3:33am
Depending on how much spin you get and how good you are on both wings, you can either hit through a chopper or hit around a chopper. Someone with a big forehand but not much of a backhand wants to get every single ball to his forehand, so he'll hit into the body and try to draw errors and weak balls to tee off on. Ryu Seung Min and Ma Lin have crazy good forehands so they want to use this option.

A two-winged player has the option of hitting around a chopper and attempting clean winners (ie Kreanga). You'll find that people with strong backhands will invariably tear most choppers apart thanks to their superior positioning (as long as their forehands aren't pathetic). Kong Linghui and Samsonov have pretty much never lost to a chopper since turning pro. Likewise Wang Hao has torn through the choppers he's faced since his rookie years.
Violin
F1
Actor

10g at 3 and 9
10g at 12
20g at the end of handle
The Shakehander View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Shakehander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2008 at 7:24pm
Against choppers, i usually run them around (mix up my returns) and smash when they give me a loose ball.
Totoro View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Totoro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2008 at 2:43am
You can angle your pushes short into the corners of the table. He will be forced to move around and occasionally play a no spin push.
I'm 15

Clipper Wood
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 PROVINCIAL 2.15mm 38 degrees
BH: Palio CK531A OX

CPen Looper with LP twiddling, blocking hitting and LP RPB
zerowings007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zerowings007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2008 at 6:40pm
All good ideas.

Watch J.O. Waldner video and see how he beats a chopper.

I hope I have spelled his name correctly.
johnny89atc View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnny89atc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2008 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by zerowings007 zerowings007 wrote:

All good ideas.

Watch J.O. Waldner video and see how he beats a chopper.

I hope I have spelled his name correctly.

Yes, you have...
Blade: OSP Virtuoso-L RST 87gr
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 05 FX 2.1
BH: Butterfly Tenergy 05 1.9
Hasham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hasham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/2008 at 2:09pm
im an all round player who loves to chop, that is to say that even though chopping is not my only style of play it is the style which is most annoying and it often leads to tedious rallies which frustrates the attackers/loopers
if a choppers gets into a rhythm then its best to keep a cool head and keep pushing the ball. I use smooth offensive rubber for my all-round game and i try to smash any incoming loops, if the loop is too spinny then i have to counter-loop. Choppers will usually throw chops with lots of backspin, the best way to deal with these is to angle your bat accordingly so that merely touching them will cause the ball to spin off your bat real quick, in theory use the incoming backspin to launch the ball onto
the other side of the table, this might startle your opponent as the ball will have more speed than a normal push.
gnopgnipster View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnopgnipster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/2008 at 9:19pm
Originally posted by Hasham Hasham wrote:

im an all round player who loves to chop, that is to say that even though chopping is not my only style of play it is the style which is most annoying and it often leads to tedious rallies which frustrates the attackers/loopers
if a choppers gets into a rhythm then its best to keep a cool head and keep pushing the ball. I use smooth offensive rubber for my all-round game and i try to smash any incoming loops, if the loop is too spinny then i have to counter-loop. Choppers will usually throw chops with lots of backspin, the best way to deal with these is to angle your bat accordingly so that merely touching them will cause the ball to spin off your bat real quick, in theory use the incoming backspin to launch the ball onto
the other side of the table, this might startle your opponent as the ball will have more speed than a normal push.
Easier said than done. Takes a lot of practice and every chopper is different.
Hardbat: Valor Champion/FH/BH-Valor Premier-OX

Regular:Valor Big Stick FH-Apollo II & BH-Globe 979 OX

Hasham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hasham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2008 at 4:16am
Originally posted by gnopgnipster gnopgnipster wrote:

Originally posted by Hasham Hasham wrote:

im an all round player who loves to chop, that is to say that even though chopping is not my only style of play it is the style which is most annoying and it often leads to tedious rallies which frustrates the attackers/loopers if a choppers gets into a rhythm then its best to keep a cool head and keep pushing the ball. I use smooth offensive rubber for my all-round game and i try to smash any incoming loops, if the loop is too spinny then i have to counter-loop. Choppers will usually throw chops with lots of backspin, the best way to deal with these is to angle your bat accordingly so that merely touching them will cause the ball to spin off your bat real quick, in theory use the incoming backspin to launch the ball onto the other side of the table, this might startle your opponent as the ball will have more speed than a normal push.

Easier said than done. Takes a lot of practice and every chopper is different.

I know, I just outlined some general strategies you have to adjust your game according to each player
saif View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2008 at 7:32am
Originally posted by thethinker thethinker wrote:

I have been watching a lot of matches of choppers recently and I heard this over and over again from the commentators:
1. Don't get into a long rally of loops and chops. Get the points over fast and make the attack as surprising as possible (i.e. when the chopper is not looking for the kill).
2. Move the chopper in and out instead of side 2 side. and/or attack the middle of the table.
and 3. Don't try to over power the chopper (but you do need a flat kill).

I repeat them in summary so that this might help someone by refreshing their memory. Good luck.

I totally agree Thumbs%20Up
TBS FH & BH: T05fx
Tibhar Samsonov Alpha FH: Grip-S Europe BH: Rakza7 soft
Victas Koji Matsushita FH: Tenergy 80 BH: Feint long III
https://www.facebook.com/groups/5439549367/
saif View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2008 at 7:46am
Originally posted by TT_Freak TT_Freak wrote:

Depending on how much spin you get and how good you are on both wings, you can either hit through a chopper or hit around a chopper. Someone with a big forehand but not much of a backhand wants to get every single ball to his forehand, so he'll hit into the body and try to draw errors and weak balls to tee off on. Ryu Seung Min and Ma Lin have crazy good forehands so they want to use this option.

A two-winged player has the option of hitting around a chopper and attempting clean winners (ie Kreanga). You'll find that people with strong backhands will invariably tear most choppers apart thanks to their superior positioning (as long as their forehands aren't pathetic). Kong Linghui and Samsonov have pretty much never lost to a chopper since turning pro. Likewise Wang Hao has torn through the choppers he's faced since his rookie years.

Wang Hao lost to Weixing in 2003 world championships.
TBS FH & BH: T05fx
Tibhar Samsonov Alpha FH: Grip-S Europe BH: Rakza7 soft
Victas Koji Matsushita FH: Tenergy 80 BH: Feint long III
https://www.facebook.com/groups/5439549367/
jakeblanks View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jakeblanks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2009 at 1:44am

i try to loop it so it will back them off the table then just go short with it to the sides the trick is going "in and out" you could say

JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2009 at 3:54am
My technique against a chopper is to loop the ball fast with very heavy topspin as early as possible into the rally which means the opponent almost always puts a heavy chop ball back which can be looped again. I only push a ball back when it is very short and anything over the end of the table is looped. I generally get very good results against choppers both locally and nationally.
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2009 at 12:46pm
There are not many quality choppers left in the UK, probably 4/5 in the top 100, more in the vets. One of the best I've played was Mark brown from Kent, he uses friendship both sides (no pips) which makes him incredibly hard to read. I prefer to play choppers who have LP's, I can play to the Pips and dictate the spin. One of the basic tricks to use when playing a LP chopper is to push long and heavy to the pips, when they push ot back there will be nothing on the ball so you can loopdrive the ball easily and get them on the back foot.
The Older I get, The better I was.
varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2009 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by Juan King Carlo Juan King Carlo wrote:

My technique against a chopper is to loop the ball fast with very heavy topspin as early as possible into the rally which means the opponent almost always puts a heavy chop ball back which can be looped again. I only push a ball back when it is very short and anything over the end of the table is looped. I generally get very good results against choppers both locally and nationally.

Thumbs%20Up Very good tip.

That also means we have to play Wink!
Takadigi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Takadigi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2009 at 9:18pm
There is no cookie cutter rule for playing choppers. It depends on the particular player's and the opponent's strengths and weaknesses. What works for me may not at all work for you. And also, what worked against one player may not at all work against a different chopper.

Personally, I don't try to go loop after loop. My goal usually is to keep the chopper move in and out constantly. So, I try to mix short slow loops, hard long loops and short pushes. I try to win the point by placing it properly as opposed to trying to overpower the chopper. Unlike the most common tactics, I don't try to hit down the middle on to the body and instead try down the sides.
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2009 at 8:12am
Originally posted by jakeblanks jakeblanks wrote:

i try to loop it so it will back them off the table then just go short with it to the sides the trick is going "in and out" you could say

my anti chopper recipe

1 serve fast to the bh corner

2 slow loop to the right side

3 attack to the middle

4 every 3 loops , make a drop shot

5 attack twice to the fh
Talent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Talent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2009 at 4:29pm
one of the most important things against a chopper is when he chops a high ball,dont smash,do a hard drive but dont smash!!!
Blade:BTY TBS
Forehand:Omega 4 Europe max
Backhand:Omega 4 Europe max
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2009 at 5:03pm
God help me against Adham this summer . . . or at least you guys! I'm following this thread closely!
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
pongp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2009 at 5:33pm
against a chopper using pips (short or long): vary between pins and dead balls (and try to camouflage wether you give spin or not).
Choppers with inverted rubber: just spin, nothing else.
larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2009 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by Talent Talent wrote:

one of the most important things against a chopper is when he chops a high ball,dont smash,do a hard drive but dont smash!!!

It can be tricky smashing high balls with backspin, but you really need to put those balls away. If you can't, then you give the chopper a much larger target. With practice, smashing high chops is pretty easy, as long as you read the spin.Or you can loop kill them. If you can't find a chopper to practice this against, try to get a coach to feed multiball backspin, where he puts the ball up a bit.
-Larry Hodges
mdjenders View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdjenders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2009 at 2:48am
great tip, larry!  i am a chopper, and the toughest opponents for me are the ones willing and able to confidently step in and smash the chops when i leave them too high. 

too many opponents have great loops but hesitate and let these high chops drop and loop them.  i hit a weak shot, but now i am back on even footing in the point!  when i play a fellow chopper, i usually take the offensive, and i practice this on a newgy all the time.  just tilt the head as far up as possible, dial down the speed, and you get a reasonable approximation of a high chop with medium level of backspin.  take the ball at its apex, open up the blade angle and smash away with confidence.  decelerating or hesitating will dump the ball into the net.

another tip:  if you have any kind of pips on your racquet, you are at an incredible advantage vs. an equally rated chopper.  when a double inverted receives a juicy chop, they are faced with a difficult shot whichever they pick.  when a pips player receives such a ball, they have a slow "roll" type of shot in their arsenal (watch he zhi wen play a chopper to see this in action).  give slow, low spin balls to reduce the amount of chop that the chopper can put on the ball, then be ready for a floater to kill.
longreachlooper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longreachlooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/03/2009 at 11:37am
Playing a chopper??????

I push to their backhand,

then kill it!!!   

-Blade

-Spinny verywell controlled stuff forehand

-long pips or inverted or med. pips on backhand

if7084 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote if7084 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/26/2009 at 12:08am
If the ball is high enough, kill it and put it away before he sets up his chop again but not to his stronger side. Move him around. If the ball is low you have 2 choices. Give up the attack and do a short 2 bounce underspin or side underspin when you don't like the spin that he has generated. If you can read the amount of spin right and your BH/FH Loop is near consistent, use it mostly on his BH side so that he can't get his forehand started.

Also, if he plays what Joo Se Hyuk plays, start with mixing a side-under or plain underspin if you want him to back off the table and chop. Otherwise mix them up and throw him a side top or plain topspin to his weaker side to throw him off immediately enabling you to control the point fast before he tries to figure out if he should chop it or not.

Try this and see how this works for yourself and come back and tell me if this advice works for that.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
  Share Topic