Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Playing a chopper

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
tomibraniste View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomibraniste Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2011 at 4:42am
Yea it was , thank you for your post
Sponsored Links

ityw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ityw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2011 at 10:06pm
Cry
longreachlooper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longreachlooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2011 at 9:37am

-Blade

-Spinny verywell controlled stuff forehand

-long pips or inverted or med. pips on backhand

weatherall123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weatherall123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2011 at 4:18am
I also regularly play against a chopper, and I find it easiest to come out ahead by playing location. Location can make or break a game against this guy.
Butterfly IF ALC ST
FH: T05
BH: T64
tabletennistips View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabletennistips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2011 at 5:26pm
Give them a hard stare and make them belive they can't chop LOL
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2011 at 5:27pm
how about this- don't just automatically assume they are good at moving side to side just because you are told to. Not all choppers are as good at doing that as you think they are. Nowadays, they practice in and out more.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabletennistips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2011 at 9:46am
Originally posted by alink91 alink91 wrote:

My advice is too loop very consistenly agisnt the side he cannot attack on, also, use side spin loops sometimes
+1
check out my TT channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/tabletennistips1
I am selling:
bryce speed fx brand new unopened and timo boll OFF forte PM if interested

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabletennistips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2011 at 9:47am
Originally posted by longreachlooper longreachlooper wrote:

WTF????
check out my TT channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/tabletennistips1
I am selling:
bryce speed fx brand new unopened and timo boll OFF forte PM if interested
탁구초보 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 탁구초보 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/2011 at 4:22pm
Not all choppers are weak in drives.... Quite a few of us moved from offensive play to defensive....
Good Footwork. Impossible.
aroonkl View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aroonkl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/04/2011 at 5:11am
Originally posted by tabletennistips tabletennistips wrote:

Originally posted by alink91 alink91 wrote:

My advice is too loop very consistenly agisnt the side he cannot attack on, also, use side spin loops sometimes
+1
-1.  When it comes back, it'll be harder to clearly read its spin.Dead
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/04/2011 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by 탁구초보 탁구초보 wrote:

Not all choppers are weak in drives.... Quite a few of us moved from offensive play to defensive....

This is the toughest type of chopper there is.  There is no place safe to reset the ball when the underspin gets too heavy.  Probably I hate you.  LOL
jonspaker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonspaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2011 at 4:51am
I don't like this game play~!
My friends play with it, but it make me bored.
The Shakehander View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Shakehander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2011 at 3:50pm
There is only one way to beat a chopper and that's with "more patience" while waiting for the opportunity to attack to close the point, you'll have to use everything in your arsenal form pushing to even chopping back...lol

Choppers like players who are not patient.

*this is for competitve play where the chopper is consistent*

Edited by The Shakehander - 11/24/2011 at 3:53pm
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2011 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by The Shakehander The Shakehander wrote:

There is only one way to beat a chopper and that's with "more patience" while waiting for the opportunity to attack to close the point, you'll have to use everything in your arsenal form pushing to even chopping back...lol

Disagree, as I doubt that the best way to beat a chopper is to try to out push or out chop him/her. A controlled looping game will probably work a lot better, then attack the weaker chops that comes back. I do how ever agree that patience is important.
The holy grail
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Shakehander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2011 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by Speedplay Speedplay wrote:

Originally posted by The Shakehander The Shakehander wrote:

Disagree, as I doubt that the best way to beat a chopper is to try to out push or out chop him/her. A controlled looping game will probably work a lot better, then attack the weaker chops that comes back. I do how ever agree that patience is important.

You have to re-read my post and not read what you want...lol
chopchopslam View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopchopslam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2011 at 9:43am
At a tournament I went to recently, the open finals came down to an excellent chopper vs. an excellent attacker. It was a very strange match to watch -- did not really look like two 2400+ players, but it was. The attacker pushed back on the vast majority of balls -- not a slow short push with a little arc, but a long low push. He was basically just hitting the ball lightly with a very open faced racket. He rarely attacked, but when he did, it often didn't help him much, because the chopper was such a good defender, she would chop it back and they'd go back to the chop-push-chop game.

The attacker won the match just by sheer consistency and endurance, but I was surprised he didn't try attacks more often. I guess his pushes were less risky and he could keep the point going longer that way. Btw in a match against any other player, this guy would blast them off the table with consistent power loops, but I would have never known that if I had only watched him in the finals.

Edited by chopchopslam - 12/01/2011 at 2:30pm
Butterfly Grubba Pro
Tenergy 80
National Team Pogo LP .6mm
Loop40mm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loop40mm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2011 at 11:40am

In 1999 Los Angeles TT Open, Lin, Xiuzhen Grace with penhold Yasaka short pips played against a female Canadian chopper with shakehand forehand inverted and backhand long pips. Actually the Canadian player flipped back and forth from inverted to long pips frequently.  Grace Lin patiently slow-looped her opponent with occasional strong attacks.  The rally and the game took a long time to finish and Grace Lin won the match.

Stiga Ebenholz NCT V

FH Tenergy 05

BH DHS Tin Arc 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longreachlooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2011 at 5:32pm
 I really enjoy a chopper ----- attacker match.

Have a good one, if you're into it.

Edited by longreachlooper - 12/21/2011 at 5:35pm
-Blade

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Shakehander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2011 at 5:52pm
one way to play a chopper

Edited by The Shakehander - 12/28/2011 at 9:40pm
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2011 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by chopchopslam chopchopslam wrote:

At a tournament I went to recently, the open finals came down to an excellent chopper vs. an excellent attacker. It was a very strange match to watch -- did not really look like two 2400+ players, but it was. The attacker pushed back on the vast majority of balls -- not a slow short push with a little arc, but a long low push. He was basically just hitting the ball lightly with a very open faced racket. He rarely attacked, but when he did, it often didn't help him much, because the chopper was such a good defender, she would chop it back and they'd go back to the chop-push-chop game.

The attacker won the match just by sheer consistency and endurance, but I was surprised he didn't try attacks more often. I guess his pushes were less risky and he could keep the point going longer that way. Btw in a match against any other player, this guy would blast them off the table with consistent power loops, but I would have never known that if I had only watched him in the finals.

I think that too often, people ask the question "How to Beat a Chopper" rather than "Using My Skillset, What Strategy to Play Against a Chopper".  The second question is far more important when playing a player of your strength.

There was a 2500+ player who used to run into a 2300/2400 long pips chopper and lost to the chopper every time (6 times) because he never developed a system for playing choppers and tried to loop harder and harder.  The Chopper, on the other hand, found a super skillfull 2000+ looper (on the forehand) and practiced returning the loopers forehand loops repeatedly.  The chopper had problems with people who used an open racket technique, but this 2500+ simply tried to overpower spin all the time, which doesn't work against  long pips chopper because unless you blast the ball by them, you have to overpower your own spin!

In the end, if you have problems playing against a particular type of player, you need to find someone who will simulate that player and practice against him.  You may be surprised that the technique you develop that works will not be anything you found in the book.

Edited by NextLevel - 12/22/2011 at 6:57pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longreachlooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/30/2011 at 11:16am
One good thing to remember when playing the chopper, 

IF you are in long rallies like in the above video, is to have your 
arm up! when you are going to SMACK THE BALL for a point-winner. 

After looping or "lifting" so many after each other, 
you can forget to put your arm back into a HIT-KILL position.

Edited by longreachlooper - 12/30/2011 at 11:17am
-Blade

One Table Tennis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote One Table Tennis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/03/2012 at 6:28am
Try these:

HD version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnuaDKxHBes&context=C34f5e88ADOEgsToPDskLz7mfiBaJ60wgHWLuuGg0J

Non HD version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NR_-zPhnAo&context=C302bdd3ADOEgsToPDskJcfBx4TeZvBTNoOL_x8dfh

Editor, http://www.tabletennisbug.com

Facebook - Menas Jagadish

Blades- Tibhar H 3 9

Rubbers - Rakza 7 Soft, Tibhar 5Q
jorgealarcon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jorgealarcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2012 at 2:17pm
Thanks for the tips on how to handle a chopper here at http://www.mytt.net  
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2012 at 2:06am
i think nothing helps more than having one to practice with- or at least having someone that is proficient at chopping for practice. I learned the hard way how much difference it makes playing a decent chopper when you practice for it and then playing one (the same one) when you haven't practiced it in a while. Even though in my mind playing was the same, I hadn't had that rhythm regularly and instead of hanging with consistentcy, I had to go for it on the first ball every time or loop one drop one because my confidence wasn't there to go for multiples in a row. You can't be lazy playing a loop-chop rally against a legit defender. I haven't really played a chopper since last september- and even then I was out of practice and simply got lucky, and I might be out of luck if I drew one in a tournament in the near future who was just steady. I need to cross my fingers. Plus, after playing Maria Kretschmer for the first time, I realized how much I really need to think about it more- that woman is LEGIT.

Edited by beeray1 - 01/24/2012 at 2:09am
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2012 at 2:41pm
Re-chopping or pushing back chops from a chopper is basically giving away the point. Brush Loop or hit through with Anti is the only thing I've found to turn it around and win the point . . . and I stink at brushing!
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
power7 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote power7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2012 at 10:51am
I enjoy playing defensive players sometimes because the pace is a lot slower.  I just to think about chores, and next week work schedule, etc.  For players that are use to faster pace attacker-attacker games playing a defender can be frustrating.

However, the key for me was being patient and slowing down my internal pace a bit.  Instead of blasting smashes and loops against good defenders.  I would use pushes and chops at half long distance to reset the pace.  I would do this anytime I felt I was playing at the defenders pace. 

Once the ball is reset, I go back to a 3 ball or 5 ball strategy.  The key is patience and a good short game to bring the ball back under your control.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longreachlooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2012 at 11:13am

Always nice 
  to have an attacker 
    to practice against.
-Blade

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longreachlooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2012 at 2:54pm
ok, forget it! T. T. is SERIOUS.
Haven't meant to be silly,
been ill 4 a while.
The sport is incredible.
This is the best forum I have ever been involved in.

Edited by longreachlooper - 03/22/2012 at 4:45pm
-Blade

llj000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote llj000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2012 at 12:56pm
However, the key for me was being patient and slowing down my internal pace a bit.  Instead of blasting smashes and loops against good defenders.  I would use pushes and chops at half long distance to reset the pace.  I would do this anytime I felt I was playing at the defenders pace.  

------------------------------------------------------------------------

raphyelrosby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raphyelrosby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2012 at 3:58pm
I played a chopper in the last tournament, and one BIG mistake I made was only looping to his chopping side. Maybe if I had tested the other side I could have won, but I chose to only attack where I knew he couldn't attack. What if my spin would have prevented a counter attack and setup an easy finish for the point. Anyway thats my 2 cent's. TEST YOUR OPPONENT, DON'T ASSUME ANYTHING!!
Xiom Hayabusa ZX, Sigma II pro on FH, Vega Elite BH.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
  Share Topic