Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Butterfly Mizutani Jun  versus Butterfly Amultart
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Butterfly Mizutani Jun versus Butterfly Amultart

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ritterbruder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ritterbruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Butterfly Mizutani Jun versus Butterfly Amultart
    Posted: 12/07/2008 at 9:51pm
I tried out a Butterfly Amultart today and I really want to buy one sometime. I looked online and the Mizutani Jun looks very similar in appearance, specifications, and price.

Is there any major difference between these two blades? I want to make sure before I make a purchase.

Thanks
Sponsored Links

lildudejds View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lildudejds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2008 at 9:58pm
mizutani is thinner, slower, a little harder in my opinion. They are both great blades, really just depends on how thick you want your blade. Amultart has a higher throw.
Nexy Hannibal
Tenergy 05
Tenergy 05 FX
tdragon View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2008 at 12:14am
Originally posted by lildudejds lildudejds wrote:

mizutani is thinner, slower, a little harder in my opinion. They are both great blades, really just depends on how thick you want your blade. Amultart has a higher throw.
Are you sure that Mizutani is a little harder? I haven't played with Almutart, but many have reviewed as it is very hard feel blade. My mizutani feels soft (even softer feel than my TBS).
MaLong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaLong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2008 at 12:26am
I think the difference in feel is due to the different top ply. Amultart's top ply is hinoki. It may feel hard but at the same time very springy. Mizutani's top ply is Koto or Limba (I'm not sure), but these will feel hard and dead if you bounce a ball on the blade itself. Overall, Amultart is faster than Mizutani.
I think they are quite different blades.
Blade: Butterfly Schlager Light Fl
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 64
BH: Butterfly Tenergy 64

bull_harrier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bull_harrier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2008 at 12:32am
Originally posted by tdragon tdragon wrote:

Originally posted by lildudejds lildudejds wrote:

Are you sure that Mizutani is a little harder? I haven't played with Almutart, but many have reviewed as it is very hard feel blade. My mizutani feels soft (even softer feel than my TBS).

From my experience with the Mizutani I'd have to disagree with those reviews.  It had a hard, woody type feel to it and it wasn't softer than that TBS. 
Clipper CR WRB
FH: Boost TP
BH: Boost TP

My Biology/Physiology Learning Channel on Youtube
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2008 at 12:57am
Mizutani is harder than Maze, I haven't tried TBS. Is Maze Harder than TBS?
I think Mizutani is more suitable for soft rubber while Amultart is more suitable for medium to hard rubber.
I've tried both Mizutani n Amultart with Tenergy 05.
I like Amultart with Tenergy 05 better than Mizutani.
Andro Wanokiwami AO Offensive 83 gr
H3 National Orange 40 deg 2.2
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

lildudejds View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lildudejds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2008 at 1:21am
yeah I actually like the feel of amultart better, however I don't like how thick it is. If they made it the thickness of mizutani, i would buy it. But, making it that thin and keeping the same feel isn't really possible...
Nexy Hannibal
Tenergy 05
Tenergy 05 FX
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2008 at 1:55am
As long as it's balanced and not head heavy, thickness doesn't matter. You must get used to it. First I thought 1 ply hinoki is very thick at 9 mm, I didn't get used to it. But once I'm get used to it, it's fine.

I found Tenergy suits all wood blades better, On mizu it doesn't have enough dwell time. Maybe Tenergy 64 suits Mizutani better than Tenergy 05 since it's said softer.

Andro Wanokiwami AO Offensive 83 gr
H3 National Orange 40 deg 2.2
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

wizz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2008 at 11:31pm
I have both so I'll give my impressions.

Hardness
The Mizutani is definitely the harder blade, thin Koto outer plies on the relatively hard ZLC = recipe for a hard feeling blade. The Amultart feels softer is due to the relatively thick Hinoki outer plies giving much better dwell time on shots vs the MJ.

Speed
The Amultart is definitely the faster of the 2. Due to the higher throw angle and better feel offered by the outer hinoki layers it certainly can let you feel that it has better control- however the rebound speed of the Amultart is MUCH faster so depending on what rubber you use, get used to seeing quite a few balls fly off the table.

Conclusion
Which blade you choose of these 2 really depends on your preferred playing style and feel on shots. For me personally, I like to brush loop on the FH and drive loop on the BH. For me, this means I prefer the MJ for FH and Amultart for BH.

If you like to brush loop (preferred wing) and most of your attacking shots are over the table then definitely its worth considering the MJ. T05 on my FH means the over the table loops stay low, spinny and dip very quickly.

If you prefer to drive through the ball on loops, the Amultart is the only way to go here. High throw + the added dwell time of hinoki means you can really close the face and drive through the ball to produce very penetrating shots with lots of gears.

Some other blades worth considering that are cheaper or around the same price.

Mizutani: - Xiom Strad, Schlager Carbon, Primorac Carbon, Viscaria

Amultart: - Xiom Control OFF Series, Kreanga Carbon, Kong Ling Hui Special
MaLong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaLong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2008 at 11:39pm
Hi Wizz, did you mix up the last 2 lines? I would guess that the Amultart is more similar to Schlager carbon and Primorac carbon, while the Mizutani is more similar to Viscaria. Am I way off?
Blade: Butterfly Schlager Light Fl
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 64
BH: Butterfly Tenergy 64

wizz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2008 at 12:15am
Originally posted by MaLong MaLong wrote:

Hi Wizz, did you mix up the last 2 lines? I would guess that the Amultart is more similar to Schlager carbon and Primorac carbon, while the Mizutani is more similar to Viscaria. Am I way off?

Hey ML,

I wouldn't say you would be off at all, a case for the Schlager Carbon could be made to be more similar to Amultart as both have hinoki outer plies.

However the Schlager Carbon and Primorac Carbon both have characteristics of a harder feel on majority of shots which is why I put them in the same category as the MJ.   

But I think you are right about the Viscaria the more I think about it. More of a traditional all wood feel. Post edited :)

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic