FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Joola Express One - Review *UPDATED*

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
zrrbiteDK View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zrrbiteDK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Joola Express One - Review *UPDATED*
    Posted: 12/10/2008 at 7:14pm
Joola Express One is like a good steak - Seemingly dull on the outside, packed with juice and an explosion of flavor on the inside.

Background

I'd been playing with TBS / Tenergy 05 for a while. Being a semi-EJ, i wasn't satisfied that something could play that good, and that i was to settle down with a blade and a rubber for more than a month. So, i placed an order for some Galaxy blades, in particular, the W-6, in order to explore the lower end of the speed scale of blades with massive amounts of control.

Let me just say that, for me, Tenergy and W-6 do not work together at all. The high throw of the rubber combined with the slow wooden blade was a poor combo for a powerlooper.

It just so happened that Joola Express was being sold at a, what seemed to be universal, discount. ~35% off. No way was i going to pass that up! I picked up a sheet of Joola Express One 2.0, still trying to maintain that control over speed.

Looks can be deceiving

The topsheet is very special. Unlike any other new-gen rubber. It's almost like it's glazed, and even after several practices/games, it's keeping that glaze which most of all reminds you of a metallic sort of varnish you'd expect to see on a car right out of the factory.

It didn't feel tacky at all, but you could almost sense the secrets lurking below the topsheet, in the green-power enabled sponge which is more or less white in color. With it's 47 degrees of hardness, simply bouncing a ball off the rubber gave an amazingly crisp sound on a wooden blade. I got fairly excited at this point. Too bad it was almost midnight and i was unable to go hit a few balls with it. I sensed alot of explosion begging to be let loose.

All aboard the Express train

First hit with the W-6 / Express One. You know that very first hit? You can always sense if something is sh*t, or if something has potential. I immediately got a good vibe from the Express One.

Having tried Tenergy / W-6 for a while, it took a while to get used to the lower throw, but once i did, i started realizing why some of the pro's played the Express One.

Here you have a rubber that's really hard, which is not only fast and spinny, but plays an extremely good short game and to top it off, is an amazing loopers rubber in all aspects. Brush loops are very controlled with low arches, faster controlled loops are the same, and finally, power drives are incredible spinny and fast. I've never had so many "winners" before, not even with the tenergy. The low throw, and topspin sends the ball zooming past your opponent at an incredible speed. It was hard for me to contain my joy at times.

Express vs Tenergy

As i mentioned, the throw is lower than Tenergy. It's faster and probably a bit less spinny. Control is about the same. Both play a brilliant short game. But where the difference is, is in the explosion. In all aspects of play, the Express one seems to be so controllable, with a consistent low throw that will keep your returns in check, not giving away any radicl opening chances.

Express train to victory

The first hit with the Express One that i mentioned earlier, was a christmas tourney at my club. I rode the express train straight to victory after an initial loss in the group-stage where i couldn't quite get used to the throw, and ended up winning the whole thing.

The Express One is an amazingly interesting rubber. I was quite surprised to find that a rubber could play this offensively on an ALL wood blade, but even more surprised to

For all you powerloopers outthere, check this sheet of glory out, you won't regret it.

Secret ingredient - Pure Green Power

I finally got the chance to get a few real practice sessions in with the Joola Express One @ TBS. Let me sum it up for you: This is an absolutely amazing combo. The first thing that struck me, and keeps striking me, is the similarity with a rubber like Joola Mambo Green Power.

Now i know what's lurking beneath the surface... it's the "Green Power", no doubt. The amount of control in the rubber on a carbon blade is astounding, just like what the mambo gives you. But not only do you get that control, you get explosive speed, spin and a low ball trajectory. It was an absolutely devestating combination. Power loops were easily controllable with either alot of power, and/or alot of spin. More focus on spin would actually put the ball close to the net, with great speed, but spinning out over the side of the table at an incredible angle. Absolutely incredible.

Flat hits are possible from anywhere, even from mid/far distance due to the high amount of control. I'm actually having a hard time describing the potential of this rubber - I'm really excited now that i've paired it with my TBS. And while i might sound like a bad ITTF commercial, there simply isn't much else to say, other than : Go try it out. Don't like it? Hey, you'd probably spend that money on beer anyway, and you're an experience wiser. There's a good chance you might end up with a really lethal weapon.

Final conclusions? This rubber is not a one trick pony. My experiments have been limited, but i've tried it at both ends of the speed scale, and it's performed admirably in both cases. Pure Green Power - and it's light. I've found my new best friend.

Goodbye Tenergy05, i hardly knew ye.
Current:

Avalox BT777 / ? / ?
Sponsored Links

rustyfo View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustyfo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2008 at 7:43pm
nice review, I'm currently awaiting the arrival of Express1 in my mailbox so I'm glad you like it :)
Blade: Tibhar Samsonov Alpha

FH: Tenergy 05

BH: Acuda S1
rokphish View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rokphish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2008 at 11:13pm
Nice... It'll be good to hear more after you play with it for a while...
instagram: rokphishtt

Member of EJ Anonymous
Hurricane Lover
varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2008 at 1:32am
Don't talk to me about ExpressAngry. I have not still recovered from a loss I had from a friend who has Express 1 on one side and 2 on the other side.

Good review Thumbs%20Up.
zrrbiteDK View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zrrbiteDK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2008 at 7:14pm
UPDATE

Secret ingredient - Pure Green Power

I finally got the chance to get a few real practice sessions in with the Joola Express One @ TBS. Let me sum it up for you: This is an absolutely amazing combo. The first thing that struck me, and keeps striking me, is the similarity with a rubber like Joola Mambo Green Power.

Now i know what's lurking beneath the surface... it's the "Green Power", no doubt. The amount of control in the rubber on a carbon blade is astounding, just like what the mambo gives you. But not only do you get that control, you get explosive speed, spin and a low ball trajectory. It was an absolutely devestating combination. Power loops were easily controllable with either alot of power, and/or alot of spin. More focus on spin would actually put the ball close to the net, with great speed, but spinning out over the side of the table at an incredible angle. Absolutely incredible.

Flat hits are possible from anywhere, even from mid/far distance due to the high amount of control. I'm actually having a hard time describing the potential of this rubber - I'm really excited now that i've paired it with my TBS. And while i might sound like a bad ITTF commercial, there simply isn't much else to say, other than : Go try it out. Don't like it? Hey, you'd probably spend that money on beer anyway, and you're an experience wiser. There's a good chance you might end up with a really lethal weapon.

Final conclusions? This rubber is not a one trick pony. My experiments have been limited, but i've tried it at both ends of the speed scale, and it's performed admirably in both cases. Pure Green Power - and it's light. I've found my new best friend.

Current:

Avalox BT777 / ? / ?
Klopic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klopic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2008 at 2:31am
Is here somebody who can compare Express 1 or 2 with speed glued Mambo H?
Klopic

Avalox Blue Thunder 550

F- Palio Aeolus Max

B- Palio Blit' z, 2,0 mm
vivan4tt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vivan4tt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2008 at 6:09am
Express 2 is slow, nothing comparable with a glued mambo H. Joola makes 2 fast and dynamic unglued rubers : Joola Energy an Express 1. Joola Energy is more comparable with a glued Mambo H, the hardness is almost the same. BTW mambo H is more spiny than both Energy and Express 1.
schumi27 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schumi27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2008 at 6:51am
Originally posted by zrrbiteDK zrrbiteDK wrote:

Have you tried express two?

Do you think is such a good rubber as express one?
JordanGreenwood View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JordanGreenwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2008 at 6:55am
Haha  Joola Express Two is far from slow 
Maze OFF
Nimbus sound
Roxon 450
vivan4tt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vivan4tt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2008 at 7:11am
Don't know what you consider slow or not, but for a 42-43� rubber, Express 2 is slow. Slower than Joola Energy, Tibhar Sinus alpha, Tibhar nimbus medium, Donic Platin soft or Donic Sonex jp gold  (i only pick up same hardness rubbers).
JJJs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JJJs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2008 at 9:03am

UPDATE

You said that Express one in light. Which thickness did you use, and how much it is?

Thanks,

zrrbiteDK View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zrrbiteDK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2008 at 9:16am
Originally posted by JJJs JJJs wrote:

UPDATE

You said that Express one in light. Which thickness did you use, and how much it is?

Thanks,

I find 2.0mm plenty fast, especially on a composite blade like TBS. I forgot to weigh the sheet before i stuck it on, but my Tenergy weighs in at 46g, and it feels a good deal lighter. I would say a sheet of 2.0mm Express One weighs in around ~40g, cut to a Galaxy W-6 blade.

Again, don't take my word for it on the specifics. All i can say is that it's lighter than tenergy, but what isnt? : )
Current:

Avalox BT777 / ? / ?
zrrbiteDK View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zrrbiteDK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2008 at 9:21am
Originally posted by schumi27 schumi27 wrote:

Have you tried express two?

Do you think is such a good rubber as express one?

I haven't tried the express two, but ... judging from the numbers and how the express one plays, i have a feeling it might play slow.

A relatively hard rubber with less speed might produce some weird playing characteristics. I haven't tried it tho, it's just a guess. The Express One seems JUST right for it's speed/hardness combo. And right now it's hard for me to imagine how the Express Two will play.
Current:

Avalox BT777 / ? / ?
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2008 at 10:35am
Cut to a TBS head, Express One weighs about 3 grams less than Tenergy 05 (I forget the exact numbers).

One thing I didn't like about Express One is that the top sheet is not very grippy.  I found it difficult to lightly brush a ball or to "grab" a ball with just the top sheet.  I still have it on one paddle, but I intend to mainly use Tenergy at Nationals.
kalinikos View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kalinikos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2008 at 4:59pm
I am currently using Express one and Joola Energy.  I originally used Express one on the backhand for a little more spin and Energy on the forehand.  However i flipped the racket around and tried it the other way.  Express one on the forehand is great for powerlooping and heavy spinning.
vvu.tee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvu.tee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2010 at 5:07pm
Express One is an excellent rubber, the only thing about it I find inferior to Tenergy 05 (and Hexer for that matter) is serves. I have played both on FH on my TBS 6.5 and on a Joola Viva.

(1) BTY T64 - BTY M.MAZE - BTY T05
(2) BTY T64 - BTY M.MAZE - DHS H3 Neo Provincial
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic