Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - David Zhuang vs. Samson Dubina - Video & Photos
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

David Zhuang vs. Samson Dubina - Video & Photos

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Robert Trudell View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert Trudell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: David Zhuang vs. Samson Dubina - Video & Photos
    Posted: 12/25/2008 at 12:26am
Sponsored Links

popperlocker View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popperlocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/25/2008 at 1:37am
thanks for your videos robert, appreciate it.
but watching your nice videos make me depressed. Top players in the country playing, and the seats are empty... A ticket is what 5 dollars? There are more people in a elementary school basketball game than this
le xex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote le xex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/25/2008 at 1:39am
thank you so much for posting videos from the nationals with excellent quality, hope you have more to come :)
Low Tek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Low Tek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/25/2008 at 1:09pm
Instead of making them into WMVs, why don't you upload them to Youtube to cut down on the download time?
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/25/2008 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by Low Tek Low Tek wrote:

Instead of making them into WMVs, why don't you upload them to Youtube to cut down on the download time?

Rob usually does that too. But lately we have been asking him for the hi-fi versions. Quite often it is pretty painful to watch YouTube versions - bad resolution sometimes doesn't even allow you to see the ball properly...
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
NoFootwork View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoFootwork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/25/2008 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by popperlocker popperlocker wrote:

but watching your nice videos make me depressed. Top players in the country playing, and the seats are empty... A ticket is what 5 dollars? There are more people in a elementary school basketball game than this

How do you expect people to show up if they don't even know it exists.  Any attendees are either other players or immediate family members/caoches of tournament attendees.  By the time the finals rolls around, many of those are headed for the airport. 

When I played at the US Open in 2007 in Vegas, there was zero advertizing/marketing for the event.  There wasn't even a sign in front of the venue (Las Vegas convention center).  Once inside the convention center, you walk down this long corridor and then you start to hear TT balls.  That was your first hint that some ping pong/table tennis is being played.  I'm pretty sure it was the same for the Nationals. 

In a town that is all about glitz, big lights, and over the top advertizing, USATT has taken the unique approach of holding their major US tournaments in utter secrecy, lest word about TT gets out. 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert Trudell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/25/2008 at 3:00pm

For several reasons.

1) YouTube only allows 10 minute videos. More editing is required.

2) It requires more labeling time.

3) I've run out of space on Google Video.

4) I'm trying to get more traffic on my website for higher advertising revenue.

5) I'm curious what the limits are of my unlimited space and unlimited bandwidth account are.

6) YouTube & Google video is blocked at many locations.

I'm wondering why the download time is longer for you than YouTube.  I don't know if the problem is the server that I'm using or your connection speed.  I'm getting very fast downloads -- faster than YouTube.

What's the speed of your connection?

--Rob
www.Outpost81.com

zrrbiteDK View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zrrbiteDK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/25/2008 at 5:07pm
Dubinas secret. He's drinking someones urin sample.

I got distracted during the game. It wasn't very entertaining. The players didn't really look like they enjoyed being there. No excitement, no fire. Maybe if there'd been an applauding audience the players would actually feel a bit more excited.

One of the few saving graces from the game: Dubinas got a pretty decent backhand.
Current:

Avalox BT777 / ? / ?
tomkat22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomkat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/25/2008 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by NoFootwork NoFootwork wrote:

Originally posted by popperlocker popperlocker wrote:

How do you expect people to show up if they don't even know it exists.  Any attendees are either other players or immediate family members/caoches of tournament attendees.  By the time the finals rolls around, many of those are headed for the airport. 

When I played at the US Open in 2007 in Vegas, there was zero advertizing/marketing for the event.  There wasn't even a sign in front of the venue (Las Vegas convention center).  Once inside the convention center, you walk down this long corridor and then you start to hear TT balls.  That was your first hint that some ping pong/table tennis is being played.  I'm pretty sure it was the same for the Nationals. 

In a town that is all about glitz, big lights, and over the top advertizing, USATT has taken the unique approach of holding their major US tournaments in utter secrecy, lest word about TT gets out. 
       Hmm,I never gave it much thought but I think you're right Nofootwork. Perhaps the USATT committee should mandate that a set percentage of expenditures should go towards publisizing the major events,US Open,Nationals,etc.  Would be money well spent.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
zrrbiteDK View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zrrbiteDK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/25/2008 at 5:20pm
23:08 ... if i'm right, and thats a nun recording the game, then the USATT need to get their priorities straight :P
Current:

Avalox BT777 / ? / ?
naijachief View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naijachief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/25/2008 at 5:30pm
Dubina's backhand is solid. His serves seemed to be tossed too low.
who no know go know
Low Tek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Low Tek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/25/2008 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by Robert Trudell Robert Trudell wrote:

For several reasons.

5) I'm curious what the limits are of my unlimited space and unlimited bandwidth account are.

I'm wondering why the download time is longer for you than YouTube.  I don't know if the problem is the server that I'm using or your connection speed.  I'm getting very fast downloads -- faster than YouTube.

Ahh I see. especially having to edit videos for upload.

My download time isn't really the issue, its more of an issue with instant gratification. =]

I'm currently getting about 690 kb/s from your server downloading this video, but it's going to take about 10 mins before I can watch it, where as if it were on Youtube I could start watching it instantly. =]

Great stuff regardless man. Keep em coming.
sprite View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sprite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/25/2008 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by zrrbiteDK zrrbiteDK wrote:

The players didn't really look like they enjoyed being there. No excitement, no fire.

For Dubina:
Excited to be there, but he didn't believe he could win, = stress and anxiety and the inability to play at his full potential.

For David:
Everything to lose, if Dubina plays well enough, David is out and not going to where he really wants to be, the final. David's intent is to minimize errors and survive the challenge.

Not much for the viewer seeking entertainment, plenty for the participants.
YEO

Boost TP
manluski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manluski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/25/2008 at 5:40pm
happy xmas naijachief:

dubina is  the local champion around here. very good observation on the serve. imo, it  on the border of illegality if international judges are used.  the backhand is good but lacks some accuracy, patience and confidence.

his game suits pips players and he had the best shot at defeating the old  man. but lost the opportunity i believe due to the above reasons and experience. i wonder who was coaching him. 
manluski
zrrbiteDK View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zrrbiteDK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/25/2008 at 5:41pm
I must say, david played the match strategically well, even tho he has major flaws in his game and i'm still surprised he moved on.
Current:

Avalox BT777 / ? / ?
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/25/2008 at 5:47pm
Dubina needs a little more consistency. Needs a little more serve variety. At least make him do something rather than the long serve to backhand all the time. 
manluski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manluski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/25/2008 at 5:50pm
I must say, david played the match strategically well, even tho he has major flaws in his game and i'm still surprised he moved on.

imo, he did not play stategically well.

he has a game with pips player and a decent back hand. he should have utilized varieties of backhand services expecially low ones to zhang's forehand and ripped the return with his backhand.

as i said, i wonder who was coaching him or his strategy. that was a missed opportunity. as i don't thing he will have a much better chance against inverted rubber players.
manluski
zrrbiteDK View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zrrbiteDK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/25/2008 at 5:52pm
What i mean by that, is that he recognized that dubina was making alot of mistakes and didn't really attempt anything.

I could be mistaken. Maybe david just isn't  better than that !
Current:

Avalox BT777 / ? / ?
manluski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manluski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/25/2008 at 5:57pm
What i mean by that, is that he recognized that dubina was making alot of mistakes and didn't really attempt anything.

I could be mistaken. Maybe david just isn't  better than that

david is a smart, crafty, and experienced player.
david realised that dubina had no strategy and as you said didn't attempt anything. so he just played save and let dubina defeat himself.
manluski
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert Trudell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/25/2008 at 6:18pm

Originally posted by Robert Trudell Robert Trudell wrote:

For several reasons.

Ahh I see. especially having to edit videos for upload.

My download time isn't really the issue, its more of an issue with instant gratification. =]

I'm currently getting about 690 kb/s from your server downloading this video, but it's going to take about 10 mins before I can watch it, where as if it were on Youtube I could start watching it instantly. =]

Great stuff regardless man. Keep em coming.

> My download time isn't really the issue, its more of an issue with instant gratification. =]

Rather than downloading it, try just clicking the link and it should come up right away and stream while you're watching it.

--Rob
naijachief View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naijachief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/25/2008 at 7:40pm
manluski, same to you. You are right, he missed opportunities to win, yet, he still played very well considering the opponent.
who no know go know
manluski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manluski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/25/2008 at 8:10pm
dubina's  game is well suited to pips rubber. however, he is playing like a semi pro, while david is full pro despite his age and limitations. he read the game,  saw no danger and just out piped him. just like sprite said in his posting.
manluski
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic