Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nittaku Lumilas Review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
robjkc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robjkc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nittaku Lumilas Review
    Posted: 01/17/2009 at 4:09pm
I've gone through a few blades during my EJing, looking for the perfect blade for me.  Well, I think I've come close to that with this blade.

I am pretty much an average player (1600 US) who prefers to loop whenever possible. 

I came across this blade after borrowing it from one of my club mates.  From the first hit with it I really liked it.  It had good speed, good flexibility, and a nice soft feel with no bad vibrations.  Every hit gave the ball a nice arc which seemed to dip down to the table at the last second.  So after losing to this guy one to many times I bought a pair from paddlepalace. 

I've only hit with it a few times at the club and on my robot for about an how so this review is just an initial impression.

So here are the specs (see http://www.nittaku.co.kr/shop/display/home.php?mode=subdetail&num=479 for details):

Plies: 5 wood, 2 texalium (limba, limba, texalium, ayous, texalium, limba, limba http://cafe.daum.net/hhtabletennis)
Thickness: 5.5 mm

Speed: OFF, 10.0 (compared to 10.7 for acoustic on nittaku's site)
Control: 8.5 (compared to 8.3 for acoustic)
Weight: 85 grams (mine weighed 88)
Feel: Medium-Soft/Mild
Vibrations: Minimal
Price: $65 US
Photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/robjkc/NittakuLumilas

Initial impressions:
After opening the box I did the bounce test.  The blade had a soft feel with  little vibration.   One thing I noticed was that the handle was thinner than I remembered.  I would say it is similar to the Acoustic handle, on the thin side making me wish I bought the straight handle.  The blade had a nice finish to it like all Nittaku blades I have used.  The surface seemed presealed from the factory so I didn't need to seal the blade face.

I was anxious to try it out on my robot so I put on some IQ UL and Cermet and gave it a few hits.  My first impression was that is was a great spin looper's blade.  It had a nice flex and good dwell giving me time to generate good topspin.  The throw on the blade was medium, just right after coming from some low throw blades.  Although it is great for looping it may be a little lacking in the smashing department due to its flexibility.

The short game may take a little adjustment with the added flex as I seemed to pop the ball up a little on pushes, but looping underspin and flicks were very easy.

Hopefully, all goes well at the club.  I am really looking forward to trying it out in a match situation and I will update the review once I do so.

Anyway, get your preorder in now at mytabletennis.com.

Sponsored Links

kong linghui View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kong linghui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2009 at 8:43am
I've just bought this blade but I am busy till now. I have not yet tested this blade, about the overall form it's very nice! I hope it will suitable to my playing style, heavy topspin on backhand and forehand
Nittaku Lumilas (Globe999 NT, Tackifire SP Soft)
(Collection: Nittaku Noveliar/Temendous/Fillmea/Runlox-5/Kong linghui SP)
robjkc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robjkc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2009 at 11:55pm
Originally posted by kong linghui kong linghui wrote:

heavy topspin on backhand and forehand

I think this blade will be exactly what you are looking for.  Let me know what you think of it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kong linghui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2009 at 1:42am
I*ve just played it one time. I am interested in his topspin, because my playing style is close to table. but speed is slower than Fillmea and Noveliar, Tremendous. With Globe999NT for FH, it makes heavy topspin but we need more power for dead shot. How do you feel?
robjkc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robjkc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2009 at 8:33am
The Lumilas is rated the slowest out of the blades you mentioned and is also the thinnest.  With it being a soft, flexible blade I think it might work better with a medium hardness non-tacky rubber or one of the new tensors like tenergy.
speedy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2009 at 10:58am
Originally posted by robjkc robjkc wrote:

The Lumilas is rated the slowest out of the blades you mentioned and is also the thinnest.  With it being a soft, flexible blade I think it might work better with a medium hardness non-tacky rubber or one of the new tensors like tenergy.

Just to add to this, this Lumilas is good for players who use Chinese rubbers.  I tried this blade once.  I borrowed this from a member from my club.  He has Hurricane III on it.  I like the feel, but with Chinese rubbers on, it became top heavy.
SPEEDY
Viscaria Super ALC ST
JOOLA Rhyzen CMD(FH)
Nittaku Moristo SP (BH)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kong linghui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2009 at 10:32am
As speedy said it's also suitable for Chinese rubber? How do you feel? it's the same feeling as KLHS? I think it's a little spinny than KLHS. it/s soft or medium feeling? Please help me to buy KONG LINGHUI after lunar Newyear, mr.Speedy
Salamandr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salamandr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/04/2009 at 9:50am
Can you compare it to Timo Boll Spark? (sold also as "Bazelart") These blades are 5+2x arylate, and they are composed from the same wood as far as I know, only arylate is between outer layers. Playing result should be similar, maybe Lumilas is slightly faster, this could be what am I looking for.
rvega01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rvega01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2009 at 11:11pm
Hi,
I agree with your post 100%, therefore I have a question you may help me.
Just for you to have an idea I play with Acoustic and Tenergy 25 both sides and now I just want to tried chineese rubbers to see how I play.
One time I tried Acoustic with DHS H3 and it was too slow for me compared with the Acoustic with Tenergy 25. My question:

Which Nittaku Blade like Filmea, Noveliar, Lumilas, Septear, Shellshock, etc...., do you think would be a good combination with DHS Neo H3, to have a good speed(like Acoustic with Tenergy 25) and also good Control?

Thanks a lot,

VV
onurzaim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onurzaim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/03/2011 at 9:12pm
I am interested in this balde too. I wonder how its speed its compared to Innerforce AL and Timo Boll ALC.

My club mates told me I lack speed in game. That is why I want to switch to a faster blade with similar feeling to Innerforce Series (2 wood + fiber + core + fiber + 2 wood ).

I found Timo Boll ALC hard for my liking. When I get tired I lose control( hard feeling) with 38 degrees of Haifu red sponge while Innerforce AL prvides me great control al the time. I can play with 40 degrees of DHS on innerforce without any loss of control. I need something between both blades.
Frindship F-1
Forhand: Hurricane 3 39
Backhand: Haifu Shark III pink sponge
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic