FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Do you varnish your blade?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
schumi27 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schumi27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do you varnish your blade?
    Posted: 01/21/2009 at 5:59am

Is it worth? Does it alter the feeling of it?

Thanks
Sponsored Links

Totoro View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Totoro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2009 at 7:23am
Yes it is. It's essential that you varnish/seal your blade if you're using water based glue. If you don't the water in the wated based glue gets into the top layers of wood and wrecks it completely.

It doesn't alter the feeling of it.

Completely worth it. It also ensures that most of the glue residue is left on the rubber so it's easy to peel off.
I'm 15

Clipper Wood
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 PROVINCIAL 2.15mm 38 degrees
BH: Palio CK531A OX

CPen Looper with LP twiddling, blocking hitting and LP RPB
schumi27 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schumi27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2009 at 8:37am
But it seems that some varnishes (e.g. donic one) are also water-based, aren't they?
kelvinyoong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelvinyoong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2009 at 9:52am
Sealing is a must if using water based glues.

I use Xiom I-Sure, 2 coats is all you need.
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2009 at 12:00pm
Yes we do. There were tons of postings here - search for Minwax or Varathane.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
tuco View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2009 at 12:07pm

I have used water based varnish in the past - a thin layer is all you need.  If the blades are already factory sealed, you probably don't want to add any more sealants.

The Dark Side is:
"Quicker, easier, more seductive" - Yoda

varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2009 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by tuco tuco wrote:

...If the blades are already factory sealed, you probably don't want to add any more sealants.

I have seen custom blades that are sealed, but the branded ones dont have any sealing.

LittleFish.Net View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleFish.Net Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2009 at 2:13pm
Factory sealed blades are a rarity. The only ones that I know on top of my head are Yasaka's Ma Lin extra offensive and some Stiga nanotech blades. Both are done to increase stiffness and not for the same reason why most players do it: to protect the wood.   
Violin CPen/FH:T05 2.1/BH:T64 1.9
W-6 CPen/FH:IQUL 2.2/BH:IQUL SV 2.0
pongcrazy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongcrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2009 at 2:16pm
Yes, I seal my blade so my wife doesn't get splinters in her backside.
Viscaria, H3 Neo, Coppa X1 Gold
7p2a-7t, TG2 Neo, Acuda S2
venacious View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote venacious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2009 at 2:58pm
Does rubber cement also peel off easily after a coat of minwax polyurethane?
notfound123 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notfound123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2009 at 4:18pm
I use Joola varnish. I let the varnish soak into the wood for like 30 seconds and then wipe it off with a paper towel. This creates a very very thin layer to protect the blade but doesn't alter playing characteristics.
ffx-me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ffx-me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2009 at 6:22pm
I dont varnish, rubber cement doesnt splinter the blade, but I used hair spray when I speed glued
-Primorac 2000, 802 + globe 999 quattro
-Korbel, Cream MRS + 802-40
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2009 at 7:35pm
Hair spray?
YIKES!!! Not that again. :-).
ffx-me, I respect you bro and send you all the love, but . . .  if you're using Butterfly blades you can get away with much more than Stigas. If you don't seal a Stiga there's a reallllly good chance the top-ply will come off with rubber cement or any other tt glue.
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2009 at 7:37pm
I would suggest that member NOT confuse varnishing with sealing.
IMO, varnishing is slapping on a thick coating or varnish.
Sealing is rubbing in enough poly or similar to bond the top-plies to hold them together when removing rubbers and to prevent moisture to get in there to warp the blade.

And . . . having said all this . . . there are many levels in between Varnishing and Sealing.

IMO, you MUST seal EVERY blade made of wood. It just depends on how much.
ffx-me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ffx-me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2009 at 7:37pm
Oh I didnt know that, never had a stiga blade.  Many people said that hair spray was a good (one time) varnish
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2009 at 7:41pm
Hairspray is better than nothing, but I never could see the sense of using a temporary sealant. Just rub a VERY thin coat of the real stuff into the top ply. The amount of protection you get from one-coat greatly outweighs any, if any, loss of feel. BUT, this is all just MO. However, if your blade is special or expensive or both . . . don't risk losing it. :-).
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2009 at 7:41pm
Even Cole puts one thin coat on all his blades. :-).
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2009 at 7:42pm
Admittedly, I have gone sealant crazy on a few. The sure looked nice and I could sit my water glass on them in between matches.
ffx-me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ffx-me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2009 at 7:43pm
I just dont want to buy some varnish for a one time thing, seems like a waste
schumi27 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schumi27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2009 at 7:47pm
So all the products (Joola varnish, donic varnish, etc) are to varnish the blade instead of sealing it?

tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2009 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by ffx-me ffx-me wrote:

I just dont want to buy some varnish for a one time thing, seems like a waste

Hey ffx-me, get over here and I'll hook you up . . . to the sealed side!!
Varathane water-based clear satin
ffx-me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ffx-me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2009 at 7:49pm
where is here, lol, I have university to attend, lol
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2009 at 7:51pm
Originally posted by schumi27 schumi27 wrote:

So all the products (Joola varnish, donic varnish, etc) are to varnish the blade instead of sealing it?

Don't buy any of that made for TT overpriced garbage.
tdragon View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2009 at 7:53pm

Oh I didnt know that, never had a stiga blade.  Many people said that hair spray was a good (one time) varnish
Yes, Stiga blades have horrible qualities.
But sealing the blade would make the blade harder and the blade would loss some feel as well. So pros vs cons
ffx-me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ffx-me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2009 at 7:55pm
Hum I like the softness of my blade
chronos View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2009 at 9:12pm
I highly recommend sealing.  I use Yes! paste for gluing and can just rub a little water on my blade and wipe off with a towel after 30 seconds - stays on the surface and doesn't get into the wood.  Won't change the characteristics with a few layers - put more on if you want to harden the blade up and add speed ;)

When you get a new blade ,spend a few minutes on it with some fine grain sandpaper.  Do the edges, the surface, get it super smooth, you'll be amazed at the difference.  Then put a few layers on the edge, 1-2 on each face, really helps protect the blade, and looks beautiful.
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2009 at 12:21am
Chronos is 100% CORRECT!!!!!!
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2009 at 12:26am
Originally posted by tdragon tdragon wrote:

Yes, Stiga blades have horrible qualities.
But sealing the blade would make the blade harder and the blade would loss some feel as well. So pros vs cons

tdragon, HUGE RESPECT FOR YOU and you are right . . . pros and cons.

With sealing, I think it also depends on what kind of blade we're talking about. The 1-ply hinokis and other hard fast blades seem unaffected. Admittedly, a soft blade with lots of flex will be more effected, but a little sealant can go a long way. One blade that nearly everyone swears is affected by sealant is the Acoustic, which defies my theory. Yet, all in all, I HIGHLY recommend sealing, even if only a pinch to:

1. Protect the top ply from splintering.
2. Protect the logo.
3. Protect from glue getting absorbed into the wood.
4. Make rubber changing easier.
5. Protect the blade from warping due to moisture.
6. Some argue the sweet spot is expanded and more consistency is gained. ??
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2009 at 12:27am
:-).
speedy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2009 at 1:55am
Originally posted by schumi27 schumi27 wrote:

Is it worth? Does it alter the feeling of it?

Thanks

Hello all... I sealed ALL my blades.  I have been asked this question in the past, and how here we go again. 

Here are the list I have tried:

1. Joola Vanish - I have used this and still have a bottle of this.  It's ok, but it's so so thin of a varnish that you need to do couple of times to see you have something on the blade.  If you put too much at one time, you will end up wasting it because you need to wipe it with a clean cloth to make the surface smooth.  The brush comes with this is ridiculously small.  It will take you forever to varnish your blade with this brush.

2. Painter's Touch - I once saw someone in my club use this to varnish his blade.  Well, this is very bad.  DO NOT use it.  I tried it, and it left an even surface even though I use a sponge to wipe it right after I applied the varnish on the blade.  Again, it's not good.

3. Minwax Polyurethane - As some of you mentioned, this is very good to use.  When you get this, remember to buy the satin, don't get the semi-gloss or gloss, you will have a hard time to glue your rubbers on your blade.  I have used it for about a year, and I discovered there is something else better.

4. Cabot Polyurethane - It's also Polyurethane.  This is the best one so far that I have used.  So, what are the differences between the Cabot and Minwax?  Well, Minwax has strong gasoline smell.  Cabot is thinner, and it's easier to smoothen the surface of your blade.

In addition, please do not use hairspray.  Hairspray is designed for your hair, not for wood.  Common sense, right?

I hope this helps everyone...

SPEEDY
Viscaria Super ALC ST
JOOLA Rhyzen CMD(FH)
Nittaku Moristo SP (BH)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic