FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Equipment Propaganda.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Wawaicetea123 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wawaicetea123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Equipment Propaganda.
    Posted: 02/04/2009 at 1:36pm

Zoran Primorac is supposedly playing with Sriver el on both sides with his Primorac carbon blade. Looks like a Timo Boll Spirit with Byrce on the forehand. Does any body else have any more pictures like these? I hate how they lie to sell the equipment.
Kreanga Aeros ST
FH: Tenergy 05 Red 2.1
BH: Flarestorm II Black 2.1
Sponsored Links

Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2009 at 1:41pm
I dont think most pros use the exact same rubbers all the time especially now with the glue ban. Also, many of the pros use custom built blades with production handles.  
stan1551 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stan1551 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2009 at 1:47pm
I find it silly that people are buying equipment based on what pros are using... You should get setup which suits you, personally....
proud member of the (not so exclusive) EJ club
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2009 at 1:57pm
no doubt stan.....its funny that everyone is so concerned what pros are using.  (not saying that is your point wawa!) They want what the pros want because they think its the best thing for making them play better.  But....unless your close to pros levels...or 2000+ rating...doesn't seem like its logical.

Sure you can adapt to certain equipment, but I have found it's best to use what works good for you at what ever skill level you have...then work up from there as your skills progress. 

But then again....it may matter if there was no affordable Chinese equipment!
Asaomi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asaomi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2009 at 2:15pm
i guess that people are interested in what pros use because then, they are sure that those equipment (especially rubbers) are usable and not crappy.
Butterfly Viscaria
FH: DHS Hurricane 3
BH: Stiga Calibra Sound
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2009 at 2:26pm
I realy can't see much in those pics of Zoran. Especially, not rubbers.

I agree that equipment buying shouldn't be based on whatever you think your favorite player is using. His level is wa-a-ay beyond yours and he has played with that equipment for many years in huge number of matches. However, people still do that - nothing original - same way as girls are buying whatever crappy dress Paris Hilton was wearing at the Oscars etc.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2009 at 3:18pm
This is before the glue ban so definitely, Zoran is committing a breach of ethics.  So is Butterfly.  After the ban, sure, there will be some experimentation so we would expect players trying different stuff.  But this is before so somebody's lying.

I've always felt that manufacturers are taking part in unethical conduct.  Even though it's ridiculous if some beginner wants to buy the set-up Timo Boll is using, the fact is the manufacturer advertised what Timo is using and now, the beginner wants to spend money on it.  Advertising the wrong thing is unethical.  To this day, I still don't understand how players will use a completely different blade, stick their sponsor's handles on it, and say "I'm using this brand blade" but they're not.  Is there an international copyright/trademark lawyer that can explain this?

The blade issue is the biggest culprit but it happens with rubbers too.  I've read somewhere that Schlager actually "bakes" his sponge more to give it a harder feel.  So the Bryce I'm buying isn't exactly like his.  But they have to pay his endorsement so I have to pay the high price.  At least the Chinese say what's national, provincial or commercial.
ibupro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ibupro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2009 at 4:11pm
How is Zoran committing a breach of ethics? That is a rather strong charge.
All Zoran did is change his equipment, he didn't cheat anyone.

Zokie has been playing with TBS for 2 years or more, and most likely he changed rubber sheets at the same time. That Butterfly has not changed their their listings is not something Primorac has any control over.
varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2009 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by wawaicetea123 wawaicetea123 wrote:

Zoran Primorac is supposedly playing with Sriver el on both sides with his Primorac carbon blade. Looks like a Timo Boll Spirit with Byrce on the forehand. Does any body else have any more pictures like these? I hate how they lie to sell the equipment.

Don't you think it is Zoran Primorac is lying by not using the equipments he is supposed to use and given by his brand manfufacturer Wink?

stan1551 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stan1551 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2009 at 4:36pm
All of above just underlines my point. How you can try to get the equipment based on what your favorite player is using... if it is even impossible to determine... since whaterver is being advertised he/she is using may or may not be true?...regardless of the reason(s)
proud member of the (not so exclusive) EJ club
AMonteiro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMonteiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2009 at 4:40pm
I don't care what they use but on BTY Japan website they say Zoki uses TBS.
Dynaryz AGR /Yasaka Goiabao 5 / Dynaryz AGR
Stavros View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stavros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2009 at 4:45pm
Primorac usually uses TBS and Sriver.
InfinityVPS   -   D80   -   D05
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2009 at 4:46pm
Tomo Boll has "generously" given his name to more than 5 or 6 blades being peddled by Butterfly. Surely you don't insist that he plays with all of them?

With some of them I doubt that he held them in his hands for longer than 10 seconds...
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
kelvinyoong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelvinyoong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2009 at 5:28pm
If you look in the 2008/2009 Butterfly catalog, it states that Zoran Primorac is using TBS with Srivers.
varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2009 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by kelvinyoong kelvinyoong wrote:

If you look in the 2008/2009 Butterfly catalog, it states that Zoran Primorac is using TBS with Srivers.

Doesn't it say Joo Se Hyuk uses Tenergy on both sides of his racket? Or is it just the US Butterfly catalog says so?
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelvinyoong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2009 at 5:44pm
Yeah in the US catalog is states that Joo Se Hyuk uses a Matsush*ta Pro with T64 on both sides.
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2009 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by ibupro ibupro wrote:

How is Zoran committing a breach of ethics? That is a rather strong charge.
All Zoran did is change his equipment, he didn't cheat anyone.

Zokie has been playing with TBS for 2 years or more, and most likely he changed rubber sheets at the same time. That Butterfly has not changed their their listings is not something Primorac has any control over.

Actually, he did cheat someone.  He cheated that young kid that looked up to him and wanted the same set-up as his TT hero.  Whether that's ridiculous for the kid or not is beside the point.  He can't take two minutes to pick up the phone and call his sponsors and say "Hi guys, I'm playing with TBS and Tenergy now.  You think you can change it on your catalogs?" But BTY has to keep selling Sriver EL and Primorac Carbon to pay his endorsement fees so they both just keep lying.
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2009 at 5:51pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

Tomo Boll has "generously" given his name to more than 5 or 6 blades being peddled by Butterfly. Surely you don't insist that he plays with all of them?

With some of them I doubt that he held them in his hands for longer than 10 seconds...

I'm glad you mentioned this JimT.  A friend of mine who is familiar with legal issues actually mentioned this as a loophole.  If Friendship says "Hao Shuai plays with SST and Higher" just like on the zeropong website, they can mean in practice, some meaningless tournament or for 10 seconds like you said.  But we all know that's not what he uses.  Who cares about the consumer.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wawaicetea123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2009 at 5:57pm
I am glad other people feel strongly and even stronger than i do about this. I since day one have been a huge butterfly enthusiast and now i want nothing to do with them. I seriously want to just buy abunch of stiga stuff to basicaly boycott them. The equipment is over priced, the customer service provided is the worst ever, and they don't care about what you ask them. I bought my new set up thats in my signature for the glue ban and i figured hey they could assemble this to get it exact and the rubbers came uneven and in the little box where you can ask for special things i asked for no side tape( not that its a big deal but they totally ignored that)also if you supply a pro with this blade and rubber so be it but don't list them as using that. I just cant stand that they lie to the unknowing 12 year old. If the player dos not like thier own blade then dont list them as using their sponserd one just list them correctly or say custom.
Kreanga Aeros ST
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wawaicetea123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2009 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

That is not what i mean in the slightest bit. Timo has many blades named after him because he is their best sponserd player and they want to sell blades which is totally understandable. but if they listed him as using more than one blade then that is not standable in my opinion. It is dishonest to list a player using what they dont use and i am not gonna do buisness with them anymore.
Kreanga Aeros ST
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wawaicetea123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2009 at 6:03pm

Yeah in the US catalog is states that Joo Se Hyuk uses a Matsush*ta Pro with T64 on both sides.

Isn't T64 an offensive rubber? How does that make any sense?
Kreanga Aeros ST
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wawaicetea123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2009 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by Stavros Stavros wrote:

Primorac usually uses TBS and Sriver.

There is no doubt That he is using a TBS and probably Sriver in black on the back hand but the red sheet is definitely a white sponge so if it would be Sriver it would be custom (sriver topsheet byrce sponge- like wang hao did) They aren't listing that which is not fair.
Kreanga Aeros ST
Totoro View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Totoro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2009 at 6:09pm
LOL

The rubber sticks out so much when it's speed glued hehhe.
I'm 15

Clipper Wood
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 PROVINCIAL 2.15mm 38 degrees
BH: Palio CK531A OX

CPen Looper with LP twiddling, blocking hitting and LP RPB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelvinyoong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2009 at 6:29pm
Looks more like he pulled the rubbers off another blade and stuck it on.

Also the TBS he is using looks very used judging from the darken handle due to sweat.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wawaicetea123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2009 at 6:35pm

Looks more like he pulled the rubbers off another blade and stuck it on.

Also the TBS he is using looks very used judging from the darken handle due to sweat.

This was when they could glue and the rubbers would expand larger than the head they cut it to. Those rubbers were cut for that blade. I agree he has obviously been using that tbs a long time which furthers my point that butterfly is a bunch of unrighteous jerks. Butterfly should change the list or not put it up at all.
Kreanga Aeros ST
varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2009 at 6:37pm

That surprises me.

BYW, I have his forehand rubber with me that he has used in one of the tournaments in 2007.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelvinyoong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2009 at 6:39pm
They did change it in the 2008/09 catalog but he could have been using it for whole 2007 for all we know or just after the glue ban.
ibupro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ibupro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2009 at 6:48pm
"He can't take two minutes to pick up the phone and call his sponsors and say "Hi guys, I'm playing with TBS and Tenergy now. You think you can change it on your catalogs?" But BTY has to keep selling Sriver EL and Primorac Carbon to pay his endorsement fees so they both just keep lying."

I don't know if you have ever had a job, but does your boss jump to comply with your requests? Do you think butfy is going to leap every time Primorac sez jump?

This is not how the real world works.
liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2009 at 6:59pm
Even butterfly Japan doesnt lie about this. They said pre glue ban he used TBS with sriver on both sides, but he must have switched to bryce.
Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Gewo Nexxus EL Pro 53 SuperSelect
Yinhe Qing
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wawaicetea123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2009 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by ibupro ibupro wrote:

"He can't take two minutes to pick up the phone and call his sponsors and say "Hi guys, I'm playing with TBS and Tenergy now. You think you can change it on your catalogs?" But BTY has to keep selling Sriver EL and Primorac Carbon to pay his endorsement fees so they both just keep lying."

I don't know if you have ever had a job, but does your boss jump to comply with your requests? Do you think butfy is going to leap every time Primorac sez jump?

This is not how the real world works.

I do not expect him or any other pros to call them up and tell them anything about what they are using but if they are not using what they are listed as using i just don't think it is fair and I am not gonna buy any butterfly equipment when my rubbers wear out.
Kreanga Aeros ST
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic