FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Palio Macro Era Review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
LOOPMEISTER View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2010 at 6:56pm
I am almost certain the the entire PME rubber is made in Germany, topsheet included.

Sponsored Links

Heimdallalso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimdallalso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2010 at 2:33am
wonder if mdjenders knows where the topsheet is produced?

Ermm
NEXY Lissom st 85g
fh/ Andro Impuls Speed max
bh/ Palio Flying Dragon 1.8
fortran2003 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fortran2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2010 at 4:24am
Did anybody pay attention to Palio's new rubber "thunder", or "雷" in Chinese?

It's chinese topsheet plus germen sponge.

Here has more detail:
http://www.sundns.org/discuz/viewthread.php?tid=311208&extra=page%3D1

I believe for chinese players, stiky topsheet + germen/japan sponge is the trend.
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2010 at 4:39am
Originally posted by Heimdallalso Heimdallalso wrote:

wonder if mdjenders knows where the topsheet is produced?

Ermmdidn't he already say it
Some more info:

Palio Macro ERA is a new, 4.5 Gen Tensor BIOS, made in Germany by ESN Elastomers.  The Macro Pro that rossicarbon is referring to is an older, 3G tensor, also made by ESN.   The original Macro was too soft for the Chinese market, so they made the Macro Pro as a firmer version.  The Macro ERA is the newest version with the latest Tensor technology.  These rubbers are NOT manufactured by Palio, they just market them.

The Macro ERA is a grippy, non-tacky rubber.  Sponge hardnesses are 42.5 and 47.5 (just like Joola Express 1/2), thicknesses MAX and 2.0mm.  As with other German tensors, the rubbers play quite a bit softer than the hardness values would indicate.  The 42 I would classify as medium-soft, and the 47 medium-hard (not rock hard at all).
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
fortran2003 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fortran2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2010 at 4:59am
holda View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote holda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2010 at 5:49am
Thank you all for sharing your observations.Can you also tell us about the durability of these rubbers.Tensors from ESN are pretty fragile and their longevity ,well,sucks.What about Palio Macro?Does the top sheet retain its grip after 2-3 months?Also,is it true that the top sheets aren't made by ESN,but the sponges are?If the top sheets are durable,then these Palio rubbers can be very attractive.Updates will be much appreciated.
Be right back...
Please email to me if pm box is full.Later...
nathanso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nathanso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2010 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by mmerkel mmerkel wrote:

Just a note on what happened with my PME (42.5). I took it off to try another rubber (EJ syndrome setting in). When I went to put it back on, I lost about 1 - 2 mm around the edge, as it appeared to have shrunk in both directions. I don't think I stretched it when I put it on originally, as I was very carful.
I tried to gently stretch it just a tiny bit, but I must have done it inconsistently as it is now uncontrollable and unpredictable, especially in flat hits.
I think there are areas that are more stretched than others now, which leads to more catapult in some areas while other areas play "normal".
Other than trying to live with the smaller rubber - which must have lost some of its tension through the shrinkage - do you have any suggestions on what to do?
I have half a dozen PME sheets and they have all shrunk like this when removed from the blade. I now cut them a tad too large, and I also keep my unattached sheets compressed under a heavy book as they also tend to cup over time. Minor inconveniences for an otherwise outstanding rubber.
BBC, SP, LP
nathanso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nathanso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2010 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

Originally posted by mmerkel mmerkel wrote:

Just a note on what happened with my PME (42.5). I took it off to try another rubber (EJ syndrome setting in). When I went to put it back on, I lost about 1 - 2 mm around the edge, as it appeared to have shrunk in both directions. I don't think I stretched it when I put it on originally, as I was very carful.
I tried to gently stretch it just a tiny bit, but I must have done it inconsistently as it is now uncontrollable and unpredictable, especially in flat hits.
I think there are areas that are more stretched than others now, which leads to more catapult in some areas while other areas play "normal".
Other than trying to live with the smaller rubber - which must have lost some of its tension through the shrinkage - do you have any suggestions on what to do?
Here is what happened with my PME. It was a bit larger than my regular blade, sticking out on the sides, so I took scissors and cut off two very narrow short bands of rubber (1 mm width, 4-5 cm length).Then I noticed (before putting it on Nexy Color, after taking it off BBC 9-10-9) that a considerable amount of rubber glue has accumulated on the sponge. So I used my finger to try and roll it off the sponge and proceeded quite successfully with that removal. In the end, I removed a "huge" chunk of rubber glue residue - a full cubic centimeter at least!Imagine my surprise when after putting the shiny residue-free rubber on Nexy Color (same face size as BBC) I realized that it was again sticking out 1 mm on the sides and 2-3 mm on top! Granted, upon affixing the rubber I used a roller before putting the paddle into the clicky press but still. I am guessing that residue was tightening up the rubber, keeping the size smaller, and also without it the sponge became a tad softer and more pliable and stretched better when the roller was applied.Anyway, the moral: try getting rid of all the accumulated gunk - maybe that'll help.
PME 42.5* is so soft and stretchy that rollers easily push it out of shape during installation, i.e. they can inadvertently stretch a cut sheet by several mm, at least. Initially I was installing (uncut) PME 42.5* by inverting the rubber on a table and lowering the blade onto the rubber to avoid stretch! Now I have gotten better at installing it right side up, but using small diameter (1"-1.5") rollers is a no-no. I have a 4" diameter roller that, if used with a gentle touch, will not stretch the 42.5 PME during installation.
BBC, SP, LP
nathanso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nathanso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2010 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by holda holda wrote:

Thank you all for sharing your observations.Can you also tell us about the durability of these rubbers.Tensors from ESN are pretty fragile and their longevity ,well,sucks.What about Palio Macro?Does the top sheet retain its grip after 2-3 months?Also,is it true that the top sheets aren't made by ESN,but the sponges are?If the top sheets are durable,then these Palio rubbers can be very attractive.Updates will be much appreciated.
The durability is fantastic. While the sheets lose their initial sheen after a week or so, this does not seem to affect the grip. I have sheets that are 6 months old, at least, and they still play great. Abuse-wise, I have done things to them that would shred an Outlaw or T05 and they emerged completely unscathed (42.5*). My lone sheet of 47.5* developed a chip/crumble around its edge but then it stayed that way for a long time. I always thought it was the sponge that was made by ESN.
BBC, SP, LP
holda View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote holda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2010 at 12:47pm
To nathanso :
Thank you.That is really good to know.I have been waiting for more reviews on these rubbers.I plan to get me a couple of these when I have used current sheets.
Be right back...
Please email to me if pm box is full.Later...
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/03/2010 at 4:54pm
Lately ttarmory is out of stock on almost all of  MAX rubbers (in 47.5 as well).
I pm'd mdjenders here and emailed thru ttarmory but no response so far.

FastPaddle also sells them but not in MAX, I think...

So I am kinda stuck... anyone has a MAX 47.5 PME they no longer need?
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/04/2010 at 12:25pm
Is the general consensus that PME is more durable than other same gen tensors?

If so, it's a smart move on Palio's part -  - in order for their market (mainland china) to pay a premium (compared to made in china goods) it would not only have to perform well, but also come closer to rivalling traditional chinese rubber in terms of durabality. 
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/04/2010 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

Is the general consensus that PME is more durable than other same gen tensors?

If so, it's a smart move on Palio's part -  - in order for their market (mainland china) to pay a premium (compared to made in china goods) it would not only have to perform well, but also come closer to rivalling traditional chinese rubber in terms of durabality. 

I have been only using my PME 47.5 for around 2-3 weeks (and it had a few hours on it before it came to me) - so far it's good.

Also I play all the time against a friend of mine who is using it on his only setup and plays about 3-4 hours a week for about half-year by now. It has of course lost its sheen and part of the traction/grip but is certainly still very playable and didn't crack or anything like that.

dauntless View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dauntless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/04/2010 at 10:07pm
his shipment frm china is probably stuck
1. BTY Primorac, Nittaku H3N, T64 2. BTY Primorac, H3N, Mendo MP Feedback
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2010 at 11:14am
Originally posted by dauntless dauntless wrote:

his shipment frm china is probably stuck

That's what I hear.

Beer Belly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beer Belly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2010 at 1:02am
It's so difficult to source a sheet of PME these days. /cry
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2010 at 3:09pm
Mike just emailed me that he is waiting on his shipment which is indeed currently stuck in the customs.

According to Mike PME 42.5 is around 35-36 DHS scale, and 47.5 is around 38-39. Also Palio intends to release a 52.5 version (in June) which will be tacky Confused (and correspondingly around 41-42 hardness, I guess)

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2010 at 10:18pm
Finally, ttArmory has new Macro Eras and they also have Blitz - which is 5th gen tensor, kind of a next step from PME, I guess.

I already ordered two new PME from ttnpp.com, so I will wait a bit until some more info on Blitz becomes available. There is a review here already, by Heimdallalso, go read it if interested.

nathanso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nathanso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2010 at 3:55pm
My Blitz shipped today from Ttarmory. I should have my first round of robot tests and an initial review -- including a PME 42.5* comparison -- finished by Thursday late.
BBC, SP, LP
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2010 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by nathanso nathanso wrote:

My Blitz shipped today from Ttarmory. I should have my first round of robot tests and an initial review -- including a PME 42.5* comparison -- finished by Thursday late.

My understanding is that you should to compare Blitz and PME 47.5 - because Blitz only exists in 47.5. Basically it is the newer version of PME 47.5 MAX

dual700 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dual700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/26/2010 at 12:14pm
Jim,

I played 4 matches with PME 42.5 on my 1 ply hinoki on one side and T64 on the other.
I pretty much agree on your findings except the throw angle.
PME is slightly lower than T64 and a tad bit slower (speed wise).
I had my club mate who's about 2100 to try it and he found the same.

Just my observation. Smile

Great rubber, nevertheless. I want to try the 47.5, maybe it has the same arc/speed as the t64.

Thanks
nathanso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nathanso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/26/2010 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by dual700 dual700 wrote:

Jim,

I played 4 matches with PME 42.5 on my 1 ply hinoki on one side and T64 on the other.

I pretty much agree on your findings except the throw angle.

PME is slightly lower than T64 and a tad bit slower (speed wise).

I had my club mate who's about 2100 to try it and he found the same.

Just my observation. Smile

Great rubber, nevertheless. I want to try the 47.5, maybe it has the same arc/speed as the t64.

Thanks
Can you compare T64 to PME 42.5*? T64 has been recommended to me and I'm a longtime PME user. I'm particularly interested in T64's sensitivity to incoming spin (not a PME strong point) and its ability to loop over the table.
BBC, SP, LP
dual700 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dual700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/26/2010 at 12:38pm
IMO, last night my opponent is about 2000. Played with him 2x...
I had more failures returning his serves with PME, maybe it's me or the rubber is brand new and more sensitive to spin. My T64 is a bit old..
But anyhow, I was flipping PME and T64 back and forth. I have better chance returning serves (I think) and heavy pushes with T64..

I'll pay more attention next time...
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/26/2010 at 12:46pm
Nathan, if you want less sensitivity try PME 47.5. I switched to PME from Tenergy specifically because Tenergy was too sensitive to the incoming spin for my taste. Naturally the harder sponged version is better in that regard.

Anyways, I advise both you guys to try 47.5 version - it sounds like both of you could benefit from using that one instead of a soft version.

dansari View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dansari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/26/2010 at 1:07pm
You could also try T25 if you're concerned about T64's sensitivity to incoming spin.  Mine should be coming any day now...
Iolite Neo, FH: Tenergy 25 2.1, BH: Tenergy 05 2.1
nathanso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nathanso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/26/2010 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by dansari dansari wrote:

You could also try T25 if you're concerned about T64's sensitivity to incoming spin.� Mine should be coming any day now...
I don't want to throw this thread too far off-topic, but seeing that I'm a longtime PME user perhaps this will be of benefit to others who are using or considering PME.

PME 42.5* suits me very well (better than 47.5* due to its tighter arc on over the table loops). I recently bought Donic Baracuda max and loved the spin and the unexpected insensitivity to incoming spin.. but I hated the high throw angle. So, does T25 or T64 (or any other inverted rubber) combine low throw, tight arcs, and insensitivity to spin? I've shied away from the Tenergy series (after owning T05 1.9) due to their heavy weight since I prefer a paddle in the 150-155g range and Tenergy usually makes that impossible, even with OX LP on the BH.
BBC, SP, LP
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/26/2010 at 2:15pm
Nathan, did you try 47.5 and switched to 42.5 because...?

nathanso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nathanso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/26/2010 at 2:18pm

Nathan, did you try 47.5 and switched to 42.5 because...?
I have them both but prefer 42.5* due to its tighter arc on over the table loops.
BBC, SP, LP
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/26/2010 at 2:30pm
The softer rubber is of course more controllable and provides somewhat better looping, but it's always a tradeoff - then you get more sensitivity to the incoming spin. I think the right strategy there is to upgrade your play and your technique so that you can confidently use the harder rubber. But it doesn't happen right away, naturally... it takes time.

dual700 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dual700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/26/2010 at 4:59pm

I think the right strategy there is to upgrade your play and your technique so that you can confidently use the harder rubber. But it doesn't happen right away, naturally... it takes time.
Jim, I think that's against EJ's law Big%20smile LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic