Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Palio Macro Era Review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Heimdallalso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimdallalso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Palio Macro Era Review
    Posted: 02/17/2009 at 8:58pm
Well, having become a minor Tensor enthusiast I tracked down (thanks to a local dealer) two sheets of Palio Macro Era and have played/hit with it three times.
I liked to glue now and then, back in the day!
I've since experimented a tiny bit with Goo Gone &
Juic's Ecolo expander 1 & 2.

I used it (completely untreated, of course) on a (WRB)Stiga Titanium 5.4 and an old Stiga Offensive.
In both instances on my FH as i've taken to using Milkyway Pluto on my BH.
MAX sponge. It is a Tensor Bios rubber.
When hitting, I could not distinguish any difference between the RED or BLACK sheet.
Cosmetically, it has a fine matte finish.

Firstly, my only other experience with Tensor's was with a fine sheet of Black Andro Plasma 380, which I LOVED and could loop very well with not to mention, block my arse off with & I guess Yasaka's X-Tend SG (though I thought Tensors don't require SG & that in fact, shouldn't be speed glued).
Other rubbers i've used on my FH and like a great deal would include;
LKT ProXT
Stiga Almana Sound
Sriver G2FX
I offer this info only to provide a slight sketch as to where I'm coming from.

I love it.
I would say it has a med to high throw. It can handle spinny serves well. It generates plenty o' spin on serves and loops/counterloops...
& most importantly (for *me*) when you want it to, it will really POP.
CLICK if you like.
Not as loudly as a heavily glued rubber but a PROMINENT click nonetheless.  

It's early for me to make a complete distinction from the Plasma 380 but i'm fairly sure it's faster. It does have a 42.5 degree sponge.
At first I was having a tiny bit of trouble blocking but it's come around very quickly.
For landing the first loop? VERY nice.Big%20smile
People Always Love it Only!

...as I play with it more & get a clearer picture I'll report back.

Good Hitting Brother & Sisters,

Heimdallalso

NEXY Lissom st 85g
fh/ Andro Impuls Speed max
bh/ Palio Flying Dragon 1.8
Sponsored Links

haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/17/2009 at 9:02pm
Very nice review! I've seen very little on these rubber, so it's good to get some feedback!
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
rossicarbon View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossicarbon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/17/2009 at 9:52pm
This rubber was meant to replace the Macro pro version but since that Macro Pro is more popular than Macro era in HK,  Palio decided to continued manufacturing the Macro pro version.
LOOPMEISTER View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/17/2009 at 10:27pm
Thanks for the review. I like Andro Plasma too, but not as much as T05!
mdjenders View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdjenders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/17/2009 at 10:46pm
Nice review, and I am very happy that you are enjoying your new Macro ERA Tensor!

Some more info:

Palio Macro ERA is a new, 4.5 Gen Tensor BIOS, made in Germany by ESN Elastomers.  The Macro Pro that rossicarbon is referring to is an older, 3G tensor, also made by ESN.   The original Macro was too soft for the Chinese market, so they made the Macro Pro as a firmer version.  The Macro ERA is the newest version with the latest Tensor technology.  These rubbers are NOT manufactured by Palio, they just market them.

The Macro ERA is a grippy, non-tacky rubber.  Sponge hardnesses are 42.5 and 47.5 (just like Joola Express 1/2), thicknesses MAX and 2.0mm.  As with other German tensors, the rubbers play quite a bit softer than the hardness values would indicate.  The 42 I would classify as medium-soft, and the 47 medium-hard (not rock hard at all).

I prefer harder rubbers, and I will be using the MAX 47deg version when my shipment of Palio blades comes in.  My web store will launch very soon once I get this crate of Chinese rubbers and blades (got delayed a bit), as this is most of what I will be carrying!

Right now I DO HAVE stock of the Macro Era German Tensors in the thicknesses and hardnesses I mentioned above.  If anyone would like to try them out or has any questions about them, please send me a PM on this forum, and will be happy to talk with you.  Price is $32/sheet, free shipping, and maybe we can work out a pre-launch deal :).
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2009 at 4:10pm
So let me double-check - they both are non-tacky?
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossicarbon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2009 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

So let me double-check - they both are non-tacky?

They're both non - tacky. The topsheet is similar to andro plasma or revolution. If you want the tacky and germn tension, use Palio maximo.
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2009 at 7:29pm

great review.. thanks..

it's been just 10 minutes that i send a pm to user 'longhand' to create a post on palio macro era... since he also thinks highly about this rubber.

and now i see this post ... :)

by the rossi:
i played a few shots with maximo.. and didn't look like tacky at all. but maximo being older generation tensor ... i am afraid the surface may oxidize.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossicarbon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2009 at 7:34pm
there are two types of maximo one if german tension and one is chinese tension(orange sponge-medium soft), the version with chinese tension is tacky.
ttrubberman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttrubberman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2009 at 7:53pm
Good review, thanks for your sharing.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossicarbon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2009 at 8:10pm
ttrubberman, i have not seen the parcel yet!!  :-(
longhand View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longhand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2009 at 8:27pm
Yeah this was my msg to debraj

I use palio macro era 42 degree max on fh. It's a good rubber. No where near as much kick as my previous speed glued rubbers, but i like it.

i've played maybe 15 hours with my palio on my fh and it's still as spinny as when i first glued it on. My fh is my strong wing so my fh rubbers usually die faster than bh.

I feel it's good with opening loops on underspin. i'm doing better with it than my speed glued rubbers on looping underspin.

Looping far from table is decent. Not great. blocking and counter hitting is easy.

pushing game is a little troublesome for me. i'm having difficulties controlling touch shots with the hard rubber.

Short game: over table flicks, can't really comment because that shot has almost never been in my game during matches. can't really help here.

overall i think it's a good rubber. it's 10 times better than my neos sound synergy tech.

hope this helps. pls note i haven't really tried using it on the bh.
Stiga ebenholz
fh- Palio macro era Max
bh- Palio macro era Max
Thot View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2009 at 8:11am
Sorry for the offtopic, but which the tackiest BIOTECH rubber from Palio? It would be nice to be fast, also. 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimdallalso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2009 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by Thot Thot wrote:

Sorry for the offtopic, but which the tackiest BIOTECH rubber from Palio? It would be nice to be fast, also. 

I don't know but maybe it's mentioned here.
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=20786&KW=fast+tacky
NEXY Lissom st 85g
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimdallalso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2009 at 5:28pm
I'm off to hit against some good players tonight.

Let the TENSOR evolution continue!

Tensor.de
NEXY Lissom st 85g
mdjenders View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdjenders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2009 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by Thot Thot wrote:

Hello Thot,

Hadou is the tacky BIOTECH.  I will have some in 42-44deg hardness very soon.  I tried a sheet and it is pretty fast, especially after the initial uber-tack wears off a bit.  The three basic Palio topsheets are Hadou (tacky, traditional chinese), cj8000 (half tacky), and hk1997 (non tacky, grippy).
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2010 at 4:45pm
I have finally tried PME 47.5 - I came to it looking for a not-too-expensive non-tacky hard-sponged fast rubber. Basically, I love my Gambler Outlaws but

a) it's nice to have a replacement option
b) Outlaws have that pesky durability problem (3rd generation is way better, though)
c) looping and overall spinniness on FH from Outlaw are not top of the line, and after I played Tenergy 05, I realized that I liked the spin and loops there (but hated the sensitivity to the incoming spin)

So I got myself a slightly used PME 2.1 47.5 (and another one in MAX, I hope, will be on its way soon) and put it on my beloved Nexy Color (after BBC 9-10-9 and Galaxy W-1, which all played pretty good with it).

Here is my review, guys:

General Numbers:

Weight: definitely lighter than Tenergy 05, about the same as Outlaw (could be just a bit heavier than that).

Hardness: it feels softer than Outlaw. Probably about the same hardness as Tenergy (or a deg harder).

Speed: about same as Tenergy 05. When playing steady placement game it is somewhat slower than Outlaw but when you go for a power loop, the catapult comes on and shoots the ball really fast. I would say, faster than T-05 and faster than GO for the same effort.

Control: at least as good as T-05. There is no deadness that I felt quite a few times when doing controlled low or mid-power strokes with Tenergy.

Spin: on serves - no better than Tenergy. Honestly, I am not a huge expert on super-spinny serves, so I cannot estimate this to everybody's satisfaction. But judging by my opponents' comments, Tenergy 05 felt a bit more dangerous to them in that department.

Reliability: somewhat better than T-05. Yes, there is a pronounced catapult effect, but the effect itself seems more consistent and predictable than with T-05. Probably T-64 is better than T-05 in that regard, and therefore comparable with PME.

Sensitivity: oh well, here is where PME 47 shines way way better than Tenergy, it beats T-05 quite convincingly. Probably, its topsheet is better in that regard, that would be my guess - so it reacts way less to the other player's spin. Blocking a loop or forehand push/slices against heavy spin  felt considerably better and more controlled than with Tenergy.

Throw angle: middle, comparable with T-64. Once again, it is better   controlled with PME than with T-05 and T-64 - I guess same reason as with sensitivity. A bit higher than Outlaw, of course.

Tackiness - practically none. Granted my rubber was slightly used when it got to me, but reading the other guys opinions I am pretty confident there was almost nothing to begin with.

Click: one of the loudest and pronounced I've heard. When doing a strong loop or even a drive you get a very loud and distinctive whipping click sound, well-known to tensor lovers around the globe.

Strokes:

Serve: no problems there. I do not see catapult effect on my puny serves, and thank almighty for that.

Drive: very reliable and fast, after I adjusted angle just a bit it became low and confident on both wings. However, FH game with this rubber generally feels a little more predictable and reliable to me. I know, however, that some players use PME on both sides with no problem at all, and I can see why.

Loop: terrific arc which is at least as good as Tenergy's, or even better imho. Despite sponge hardness (47.5! which is probably about 41 on DHS scale) you literally feel like it is being pressed and then the spring  unloads very accurately and sends the ball where you need it. I imagine it is even better with 42.5 version but I prefer harder sponged rubbers  on my soft blades, not to mention they play better against people with LPs and other deceptive rubbers. Height and length of the arc seem to be very controllable - again, better than with T-05. Power loop is done with no problems, and if you do it properly, it leaves the table amazingly fast after the bounce.

Push/slice: as for all the tensors, requires some extra attention since catapult can accidentally push the ball off the table. But even here I felt like it was better controlled than with T-05.

Chop/defense: can be done but tensor rubbers are not created for this element. If you start using this rubber you will need to adjust your technique for chopping. However, if you have been already playing with a tensor and provided you even want to chop with it, you won't have to change your game much. General defense is fine.

Smash/flat game: surprisingly, pretty good. Generally, flat game with PME is better than majority of tensors I tried -  LKT Torrent, Tenergy 05 and 64, Vega Pro, Andro Roxon..

Lob: just fine and quite controllable. Had no problems there (after a few minute adjustments).

debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2010 at 6:03pm
very precise review JImT.

i particularly love PME for this:

"There is no deadness that I felt quite a few times when doing controlled low or mid-power strokes with Tenergy."
729-F1||Rhyzm-P(FH)|| Rasant Grip orRhyzm-P max(BH)
vid1
Vid 2
mmerkel View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmerkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2010 at 6:26pm
Just a note on what happened with my PME (42.5). I took it off to try another rubber (EJ syndrome setting in). When I went to put it back on, I lost about 1 - 2 mm around the edge, as it appeared to have shrunk in both directions. I don't think I stretched it when I put it on originally, as I was very carful.
I tried to gently stretch it just a tiny bit, but I must have done it inconsistently as it is now uncontrollable and unpredictable, especially in flat hits.
I think there are areas that are more stretched than others now, which leads to more catapult in some areas while other areas play "normal".
Other than trying to live with the smaller rubber - which must have lost some of its tension through the shrinkage - do you have any suggestions on what to do?
#1 RL Balance -Bluefire M2 -Acuda S2
#2 RL Avalanche#2 -Bluefire M2 -Sigma Europe
#3 Primorac -Boost TP -Magna TC
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2010 at 6:54pm
My experience is PME doesn't shrink or very minimally.. on contrary tenergies shrink a lot.

I think what you must have done.. is stretched the sheet initially when you had first pasted it to the blade and cut it.

there is nothing that you can do now... except trying to paste it with even pressure... so even if it plays different.. it's uniform.
729-F1||Rhyzm-P(FH)|| Rasant Grip orRhyzm-P max(BH)
vid1
Vid 2
mmerkel View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmerkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2010 at 7:05pm
....or I wait for Blit'z ....but that's just the EJ in me gaining momentum..
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimdallalso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2010 at 8:19pm
the "word" is

Blitz available towards the end of May

Thor's available sometime in June

NEXY Lissom st 85g
mmerkel View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmerkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2010 at 8:54pm
End of May sounds good to me, since I'm on the road most of May anyway. That'll pass the time..
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2010 at 10:48pm
Originally posted by mmerkel mmerkel wrote:

Just a note on what happened with my PME (42.5). I took it off to try another rubber (EJ syndrome setting in). When I went to put it back on, I lost about 1 - 2 mm around the edge, as it appeared to have shrunk in both directions. I don't think I stretched it when I put it on originally, as I was very carful.
I tried to gently stretch it just a tiny bit, but I must have done it inconsistently as it is now uncontrollable and unpredictable, especially in flat hits.
I think there are areas that are more stretched than others now, which leads to more catapult in some areas while other areas play "normal".
Other than trying to live with the smaller rubber - which must have lost some of its tension through the shrinkage - do you have any suggestions on what to do?

Here is what happened with my PME. It was a bit larger than my regular blade, sticking out on the sides, so I took scissors and cut off two very narrow short bands of rubber (1 mm width, 4-5 cm length).

Then I noticed (before putting it on Nexy Color, after taking it off BBC 9-10-9) that a considerable amount of rubber glue has accumulated on the sponge. So I used my finger to try and roll it off the sponge and proceeded quite successfully with that removal. In the end, I removed a "huge" chunk of rubber glue residue - a full cubic centimeter at least!

Imagine my surprise when after putting the shiny residue-free rubber on Nexy Color (same face size as BBC) I realized that it was again sticking out 1 mm on the sides and 2-3 mm on top! Granted, upon affixing the rubber I used a roller before putting the paddle into the clicky press but still. I am guessing that residue was tightening up the rubber, keeping the size smaller, and also without it the sponge became a tad softer and more pliable and stretched better when the roller was applied.

Anyway, the moral: try getting rid of all the accumulated gunk - maybe that'll help.

fortran2003 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fortran2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2010 at 6:54am
I bought one, it's 165 RMB.
jonyer1980 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2010 at 7:58am
Little bit expensive, considering to be a Chinese brand though german made, isn�t it?

For that money i don�t hesitate for the small save, and I�d rather go straight  to Tenergy.  We can get here T05 for 30 Euros, so probably doesn�t worth it.

Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Avoid any Butterfly stuff... at abusive prices. Raw power without control means nothing
lauge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lauge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2010 at 3:14pm
where can you get T05 for 30�?
jonyer1980 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2010 at 5:05pm
I�ve got a friend working at Decathlon, so get there with an additional discount.

Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Avoid any Butterfly stuff... at abusive prices. Raw power without control means nothing
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2010 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by jonyer1980 jonyer1980 wrote:

I�ve got a friend working at Decathlon, so get there with an additional discount.

30 euros is $40, so you got a pretty big discount considering T05 retails for $57 Smile
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2010 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by jonyer1980 jonyer1980 wrote:

Little bit expensive, considering to be a Chinese brand though german made, isn�t it?

For that money i don�t hesitate for the small save, and I�d rather go straight  to Tenergy.  We can get here T05 for 30 Euros, so probably doesn�t worth it.

Only the topsheet is Chinese and in my very humble opinion a lot of Chinese-made topsheets are simply superior to Euro-Japanese ones.

Combination of Chinese topsheet and Japanese (or Euro) sponge is the best of both worlds (sometimes) and that is exactly why Nittaku H3 Neo is a way better rubber than regular H3 Neo.

Same with PME.

I agree that Tenergy 05 for $40 is not a huge hit on your wallet compared to $32 for PME but I am saying, however, that imho PME is simply better than Tenergy - mostly because of its topsheet.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic