Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ma Lin Extra Offensive

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
jpingchow123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpingchow123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ma Lin Extra Offensive
    Posted: 02/26/2009 at 10:27pm
I've read good reviews on the Ma Lin Extra Offensive or YEO, but I was wondering about the durability of this blade and whether or not polyurethane should be applied to it.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links

eD27 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eD27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2009 at 10:31pm
I want to know about this blade too. Thinking of getting one.

How is it for attacking? Cuz it says its perfect for blocking but for attacking and short games? Weight and comfort?
GenomicsKnight View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenomicsKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2009 at 10:32pm
Top ply is stained, so it tends to fade from gluing.  A light coat of PU should help.
CEO, Single Ply Hinoki Club
TSP Dynam 10.5mm
and other fine 1-ply Kiso Hinoki blades
ibupro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ibupro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2009 at 10:50pm
YEO comes with lacquer already applied.  It is not stained, the outer ply is walnut, which is dark wood.
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2009 at 10:53pm
Originally posted by eD27 eD27 wrote:

How is it for attacking? Cuz it says its perfect for blocking but for attacking and short games? Weight and comfort?

Well, Ma lin uses it. Im sure its different a bit.. but still very similar, since its much older. And look at his attacking game. Ma lin also has the best short game in the entire world.. so I think he can answer some questions. Smile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpingchow123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2009 at 11:00pm
Compared to the Ma Lin Soft Carbon and Ma Lin Carbon how does the speed, control, and feel differ?

Also since YEO is an all wood blade is it more susceptible to damage?
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2009 at 11:11pm
all wood blades/composite blades are equally suceptable to damage. You can ding a carbon blade and it can tear into the carbon layer same as wood.
LeRome View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeRome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2009 at 11:16pm
it's a lil slower with a lil more control compared to ma lin carbon, but i prefer the feel of yeo over mlc, mlc has a really good feel for a carbon blade, but the tiny bit of that ping-y vibration just reminds u that it's a carbon blade.  wish the yeo was a lil heavier though, the weight of the mlc was perfect.  as far as susceptibility to damage goes, i don't think it matters whether it's carbon or all wood, if u hit the edge of the blade on the table it's gonna leave a lil dent
BL: Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive Penhold
FH: DHS Skyline TG2 2.2mm
BH: Nittaku Hammond 2.1-2.3mm
ibupro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ibupro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2009 at 11:17pm
Originally posted by eD27 eD27 wrote:

Weight is mid to high 80's usually.  Used by Ma Lin who specializes in attacking and short game.  What more can be said?

It is a great blade, but the outer walnut ply is hard and fast which makes for short dwell with some rubber sheets.  I use 2mm Boost TP  which makes for short dwell, high speed and spin.  I was using max previously which allowed for longer dwell but I found that 2mm serves me much better for quick attack and allows the speed of the blade to be put to better use.

I like to attack from close to mid distance and to use strokes which make it hard to read where I intend to place the ball.  Short dwell and high speed make this style very effective if your stroke supplies plenty of spin.

I am using straight handle, it is squarish with flat sides which let me know very well how I have the blade angled.  A little thin maybe, but I adjusted to it quickly.

I love my YEO!  It is a very powerful all wood blade for close and middle distance, very spinny.
If you play more away from the table you will find other blades more useful I think.
eD27 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eD27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2009 at 11:21am
great. but what's the difference between the 3 ma lin blades?

cuz all the reviews i read are kinda the same for the 3
Dafydd393 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dafydd393 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2009 at 1:17pm
Im' thinking of getting one myself.

@Ibupro, you say that it has short dwell time but it is able to produce large amounts of spin. Surely if it has a lower dwell time, it wil not produce as much spin?

Also how well would dawei's quattro sponge (40 Deg) work with this blade and how is looping from 2 steps back?
Blade - Ma Lin Extra Offensive FL
Fh - Boost TC 2.0mm
Bh - Boost TC 2.0mm
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2009 at 1:19pm
I got a C-pen YEO for a friend couple weeks ago....my choices for weight were from an amazing 76g to 86g.   Seems like a big difference for some reason, so I opted for a 80g one.  
ibupro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ibupro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2009 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by Dafydd393 Dafydd393 wrote:

@Ibupro, you say that it has short dwell time but it is able to produce large amounts of spin. Surely if it has a lower dwell time, it wil not produce as much spin?

Read it however you see fit, your experience might not match my own; the dwell is *comparatively* short, the spin is very high.  The walnut is a hard top ply but also makes good spin.
This places a premium on correct timing and contact point while rewarding by allowing deceptive placement and providing a shot that goes rapidly from the blade to the table.  The power of the Boost TP gives the ball sustained speed and is very spinny in its own right.  TP is great match-up with the YEO for me, I was using TC on my Gatien Extra, but I was immediately convinced by the YEO and TP.  Switching the rubbers to the other blade did not work well for me.
I believe dwell has more to do with control than with spin.  I accelerate the blade quickly and too much dwell affects my shot making in a negative fashion.  Players who accelerate at a more controlled rate would benefit from more dwell I think.

tdragon View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2009 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by ibupro ibupro wrote:

Read it however you see fit, your experience might not match my own; the dwell is *comparatively* short, the spin is very high.  The walnut is a hard top ply but also makes good spin.
This places a premium on correct timing and contact point while rewarding by allowing deceptive placement and providing a shot that goes rapidly from the blade to the table.  The power of the Boost TP gives the ball sustained speed and is very spinny in its own right.  TP is great match-up with the YEO for me, I was using TC on my Gatien Extra, but I was immediately convinced by the YEO and TP.  Switching the rubbers to the other blade did not work well for me.
I believe dwell has more to do with control than with spin.  I accelerate the blade quickly and too much dwell affects my shot making in a negative fashion.  Players who accelerate at a more controlled rate would benefit from more dwell I think.

I am surprised too. The blade does not much dwell time, but it could loop easily to generate spin. Oh no, it could be used to smash easily to generate spin. Something does not sound right here. LOL LOL

You need the dwell time, so you could feel the paddle pulling the ball to generate more spin on loop. even the blade has a lot of dwell time, but it does not mean that it would be easy to control since you may not chop or push correctly if the blade is OFF or OFF+.
ibupro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ibupro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2009 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by tdragon tdragon wrote:

I am surprised too. The blade does not much dwell time, but it could loop easily to generate spin. Oh no, it could be used to smash easily to generate spin. Something does not sound right here. LOL LOL

You need the dwell time, so you could feel the paddle pulling the ball to generate more spin on loop. even the blade has a lot of dwell time, but it does not mean that it would be easy to control since you may not chop or push correctly if the blade is OFF or OFF+.

So you are saying that world champion Schlager with his fast carbon blade and byrce hard did not have enough dwell time to feel the paddle pulling the ball to generate more spin on loop? And that Schlager may not chop or push correctly?

Something does not sound right hereTongue
tdragon View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2009 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by ibupro ibupro wrote:

So you are saying that world champion Schlager with his fast carbon blade and byrce hard did not have enough dwell time to feel the paddle pulling the ball to generate more spin on loop? And that Schlager may not chop or push correctly?

Something does not sound right hereTongue
I guess that I have argued with Schlager here LOL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpingchow123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2009 at 5:38pm
so how bout the YEO?
tdragon View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2009 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by jpingchow123 jpingchow123 wrote:

so how bout the YEO?
YEO is a great blade. But I feel that it would be great for Penhold rather than Shakehand since it has a little hard feel so it would best fit for push, smash. It is one of the best blade for its price.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpingchow123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2009 at 5:46pm

so how bout the YEO?
YEO is a great blade. But I feel that it would be great for Penhold rather than Shakehand since it has a little hard feel so it would best fit for push, smash. It is one of the best blade for its price.

It's for penhold so, yay!

Speaking of penhold, for people that play that way, do you prefer having the rubber up the the handle or leaving space for fingers?
tdragon View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2009 at 5:50pm

LOL
A lot of Shakehand player like me playing YEO too LOL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpingchow123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2009 at 5:54pm

LOL
A lot of Shakehand player like me playing YEO too LOL

What's your setup?
tdragon View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2009 at 6:04pm

What's your setup?
YEO works well with Chinese rubbers. I stopped playing it after stopping speed glue. Ouch

Several people have reported YEO playing well with Stiga Boost TC/TP and Tenergy 05.
goldfish View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2009 at 1:55pm
Tenergy 05 works very well with YEO.
Innerforce ZLC cs
FH:Tenergy05 2.1mm
BH:Donic Vario sound 2.0 mm
Items for Sale
Dafydd393 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dafydd393 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2009 at 3:47pm
How is looping with heavy spin with this blade? I'm still unsure about how much dwell time the blade has, anybody?
Fh - Boost TC 2.0mm
Bh - Boost TC 2.0mm
ibupro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ibupro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2009 at 6:56pm

How is looping with heavy spin with this blade? I'm still unsure about how much dwell time the blade has, anybody?

Sorry about the confusion.  Plenty of dwell time imo. 
I was comparing the YEO with 2mm TP vs 2.3mm TP, and with the Gatien Extra with 2.3mm TC. 
I hope you would agree that 2mm TP on YEO would allow less dwell than max TC on a GE.
2.1mm Tenergy 05 has longer dwell on the YEO than TP 2mm imo.

What I found was that 2mm TP allowed me to use the speed of the hard outer ply on drives while the thicker sponge gave more dwell.

chocolate View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chocolate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2009 at 2:30pm
Would this blade loop well with gambler outlaw 2.2?
Sallom89 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sallom89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2009 at 4:24pm
YEO is Ma Lin extra offensive or what guys? sorry I don't get it :P!
Member of Wang Hao fan club.

Hurricane Hao III
FH: Thors
RPB: Omega Pro
Dafydd393 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dafydd393 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2009 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by Sallom89 Sallom89 wrote:

Yes
Fh - Boost TC 2.0mm
Bh - Boost TC 2.0mm
dauntless View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dauntless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2009 at 6:46pm
I have a 87g YEO that is ST handle. I am probably going to put Gambler Outlaw on it to test. Any thoughts on how this combo should play?
1. BTY Primorac, Nittaku H3N, T64 2. BTY Primorac, H3N, Mendo MP Feedback
Totoro View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Totoro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2009 at 2:35am
Originally posted by Sallom89 Sallom89 wrote:

YEO is the shorthand form of - Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive.
I'm 15

Clipper Wood
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 PROVINCIAL 2.15mm 38 degrees
BH: Palio CK531A OX

CPen Looper with LP twiddling, blocking hitting and LP RPB
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic