FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

How Does One Pronounce "Xiom"?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
lildudejds View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lildudejds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How Does One Pronounce "Xiom"?
    Posted: 03/06/2009 at 12:17am
In Chinese, the X makes a "shh" sound, but Xiom is Korean. Is it the same? Anybody know how to pronounce it?
Nexy Hannibal
Tenergy 05
Tenergy 05 FX
Sponsored Links

Totoro View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Totoro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2009 at 12:29am
I don't actually know...

William Henzell on one of his promotion videos said: Ecks - iom.

Before watching the video I always thought it was Shiom. Whatever =D
I'm 15

Clipper Wood
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 PROVINCIAL 2.15mm 38 degrees
BH: Palio CK531A OX

CPen Looper with LP twiddling, blocking hitting and LP RPB
lildudejds View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lildudejds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2009 at 12:34am
ecks-iom. You are kidding me. That sounds like the "uneducated American" way to pronounce it.

Surely somebody knows? Who speaks korean here? BH Man, help us out?
Nexy Hannibal
Tenergy 05
Tenergy 05 FX
pablogilberto View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pablogilberto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2009 at 12:39am
i've heard a couple of versions of how folks pronounce it...

1) Zee-yom - classy sound to it
2) Ek-shom - more literal

personally, i use the 1st one.
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2009 at 12:47am
Yes the correct pronounciation is "Ecks - iom" - got that straight from the company...
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2009 at 2:55am
How suprising  I was sure it would have zsiiion American style

JohnDoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnDoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2009 at 3:46am
so is it more like eck-see-yom, or ecks-eye-yom
seoulkorean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seoulkorean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2009 at 8:33am
I looked around for a Korean spelling of Xiom, but I couldn't find it.  Since I'm Korean, I would probably go with "Jee Ohm" because there is no "Z" sound in Korean.
My Feedback

Primary: Stiga Hybrid Wood NCT with Boost TP/TC

Backup: RSM PLatinum with TSP Triple Spin
Wawaicetea123 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wawaicetea123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2009 at 8:41am
I have always pronounced it Zhiohm. I am so american.....Big%20smile
Kreanga Aeros ST
FH: Tenergy 05 Red 2.1
BH: Flarestorm II Black 2.1
varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2009 at 9:17am
Originally posted by haggisv haggisv wrote:

Yes the correct pronounciation is "Ecks - iom" - got that straight from the company...

That is right.

varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2009 at 9:22am
Originally posted by wawaicetea123 wawaicetea123 wrote:

I have always pronounced it Zhiohm. I am so american.....Big%20smile

That is easy for Americans. I also use the same when talking to people.

liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2009 at 9:24am
Yup its (エクシオム) or Ekusiomu in Japanese. Thats how I learned its pronunciation.
Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Gewo Nexxus EL Pro 53 SuperSelect
Yinhe Qing
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2009 at 5:41pm
Seoul Korean, I can't remember it spelled anywhere in Korean, just plain ole Xiom written in English. (I am stuck with public computers for the next week or so and am curious to look for myself) Very odd for Koreans to use something completely foreign in spelling and not use its Korean Hangul counterpart. Ehk-Suh-I-Uhm would be rather awkward in Hangul. Ji-Uhm is more natural and would be easier/more sensible. Doesn't mean that is what the company intends. Maybe they are a maverick outfit which runs counter to all established protocal. 

Any foreign word, place or name spelled out in Korean Hangul looks SO VERY wierd and un-natural. Unless you know EXACTLY how the Koreans use that word/name/place, you wouldn't have a clue.  I have never like romanizing Korean words - they should stay in Korean Hangul. Likewise, foreign names or places should also retain their foreign spelling in that language - easier for everyone. Maybe Xiom is real foreign name and the company wants to keep its foreign origin or whatever.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
tabl10s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabl10s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2009 at 7:38pm
I notice you keep saying "Korean Hangul". I learned the "Hangul" stands for "Korea" and "Hangul-en" means "Korean". Eventhough "Xiom" is a made-up word, the person who came up with the name is pronouncing is as it's written.
On a side note, Koreans will add an "e" to the end of certain words:
"Wash" is "Wash-e", etc(Yay!...I just made Super Member). 
apekzhrk View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apekzhrk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2009 at 10:04pm
i haven't read other ppl's comments but i am korean and XIOM is not any of korean words... however, i always thought it was just trying to say the work "Axiom" but idk
varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/07/2009 at 1:50am
Champion who is the parent company of XIOM started some 30 to 40 years ago. When they have stuck a deal with ESN Germany few years ago, they wanted a name to be known in other countries and not just Korea, so in some sense the word XIOM is foreign.

In my understanding, the name XIOM came as a influence or culture in Germany.
hjyoo99 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hjyoo99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/07/2009 at 2:58am

"Xiom" should be pronounced as Axiom I guess. When they tried to think of a name of the rubber(xiom 40) they must have liked the sound and meaning of Axiom and shortened it to make up a new word that could be accepted to international public easily, which ended up confusing people.

And as we koreans tend to get confused to differentiate "a" sound(as in cat) and "e" sound(as in bet) reading English, especially when its the first sound of a word, my guess must be right.

Btw, "Hangeul" is the korean characters, not the language.
tabl10s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabl10s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/07/2009 at 10:16pm
The questions I asked was, "How do you say "Korea" in Korean? and "How do you say "Korean" in Korean? I was stationed in Kunsan.
hjyoo99 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hjyoo99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2009 at 3:54am
Originally posted by tabl10s tabl10s wrote:

The questions I asked was, "How do you say "Korea" in Korean? and "How do you say "Korean" in Korean? I was stationed in Kunsan.

Then you must be/have been an airman. I was in camp humphreys 20 years ago as a Katusa.

Korea  "han-gook"
Korean(language) "han-goo-guh"
Korean(characters)  "han-geul" 
Asaomi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asaomi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2009 at 1:06pm
ex as in example
i as in indoor
om as in omelet
ex-i-om
Butterfly Viscaria
FH: DHS Hurricane 3
BH: Stiga Calibra Sound
ppgear View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ppgear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2009 at 9:24pm
I've always said "shee-uhm" or "shee-ohm".

Arthur Lui
Revspin.net - Table Tennis Equipment Reviews
Top USATT Rating: 2131
danhs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danhs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2009 at 11:27pm
Originally posted by varghesep varghesep wrote:

Champion who is the parent company of XIOM started some 30 to 40 years ago. When they have stuck a deal with ESN Germany few years ago, they wanted a name to be known in other countries and not just Korea, so in some sense the word XIOM is foreign.

In my understanding, the name XIOM came as a influence or culture in Germany.
  Since Xiom gives all their products greek names I assumed it would be pronounced as if it were a greek word.

Off Topic:  You could pronounce the name Epiphone (guitar maker etc.) the same as epiphany- think epitome.  Just found this interesting.
alexli View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alexli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2009 at 11:33pm
I just asked the employees at XIOM in Korea. They said it is "Ecksiom".

MyTableTennis.NET is an official dealer for XIOM in the US now. We will carry XIOM products on mytabletennis.com soon.

Alex
tabl10s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabl10s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2009 at 4:38am
I went to Humphrey's once for a tournament and no one showed up. I also remember there was a Katusa appreciation thing at the base theater and a lot of guy's with guitar's playing at the same time(but not of the same ability).
I like Korea(especially Pusan and Chejedo). The only time(s) I had a problem was when I and another person tried to get a Taxi in Seoul and driver's wouldn't pick us up because we were the wrong color and another time, everyone stared at me as I walked out of Yongsan. It dawned on me that the Rodney King riot was still fresh in thier minds(I was even cursed out of a store)..
varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2009 at 9:09am
Originally posted by tabl10s tabl10s wrote:

I went to Humphrey's once for a tournament and no one showed up. I also remember there was a Katusa appreciation thing at the base theater and a lot of guy's with guitar's playing at the same time(but not of the same ability).
I like Korea(especially Pusan and Chejedo). The only time(s) I had a problem was when I and another person tried to get a Taxi in Seoul and driver's wouldn't pick us up because we were the wrong color and another time, everyone stared at me as I walked out of Yongsan. It dawned on me that the Rodney King riot was still fresh in thier minds(I was even cursed out of a store)..

Where is Humphrey?
tabl10s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabl10s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2009 at 11:47am
Camp Humphrey's.
tomtomny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomtomny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2009 at 12:40pm
Well it is pronouced  
and written 엑시옴 in Korean.

The word Xiom came from word "AXIOM":

Axiom: An axiom is a statement or idea which people accept as being true. FORMAL N-COUNT oft N that principle ...the long-held axiom that education leads to higher income. National Public Radio

And Xiom came from the rubber made by Champion on or around 2001, a German high tension rubber made by Korean sports equipment company "Champion" the full name was Xiom40. Then Champion decided to use this rubber's name into a tabletennis equipment division "XIOM"

I hope this helped a little.
Smile
Innerforce ZLC CS
FH: Tenergy 64 Red
BH: Tenergy 64 Blk
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic