Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Service Disguise

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Dafydd393 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dafydd393 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Service Disguise
    Posted: 08/20/2009 at 8:19am

Hi all,

Do you have any tips as to disguise my serves? I am happy with the serves that I can do as they work well against players who are weaker than myself but against better players they are to easy to read therefore easy to play.

I can make some vids if that would help?

Thanks,

David
Blade - Ma Lin Extra Offensive FL
Fh - Boost TC 2.0mm
Bh - Boost TC 2.0mm
Sponsored Links

LachlanTan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LachlanTan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2009 at 8:24am

The best disguise is to do fake reverse pendulum. If you are referring to others, normally player can react fast enough to it e.g. angle bat as to backspin and at contact immediately do topspin flick. As pros return serves by processing information of bat motion.

johnny89atc View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnny89atc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2009 at 8:39am
It is important when you want to disguise your serves to make the same move. Then you can touch the ball to different places to produce different types of spin. You can also make the same move and use your wrist more to produse heavy spin or less to make a no-spin serve. Furthermore you can make some moves before or after the serve to confuse your opponent (see Ma Lin)...
Blade: OSP Virtuoso-L RST 87gr
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 05 FX 2.1
BH: Butterfly Tenergy 05 1.9
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2009 at 9:42am
most basic deception is pendulum underspin/topspin. a bit tough to explain but it depends (again) on the contact point. another way to explain it would be if you hit the ball early or late in your motion...
www.youtube.com/gsutabletennis
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2009 at 9:56am
johnny makes very good points.

i would only add three things:

-contact the ball near the tip of the blade for heavy spin
-contact the ball near the handle of the blade for no spin
-learn to use the up and down motion from your legs to help you alter the contact point and timing of the serve

that last one took me the longest to figure out how to do, but it allows me to make a backhand chop serve that looks like heavy under but is actually is light topspin. i can't tell you how many third ball attacks are "free" because of my opponents push it back high.
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
johnny89atc View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnny89atc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2009 at 10:35am
tpgh2k and icontek are also right. tpgh2k (if I understand it correctly)says that when you make your pendulum serve, you should start with a motion downwards and end it with an upward motion.If you contact the ball early, you'll put underspin, in the midle of the motion it's sidespin and in the end you are going to have topspin.Ryu Seung Min makes a similar motion at his pendulum (I love his serves!)...
Blade: OSP Virtuoso-L RST 87gr
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 05 FX 2.1
BH: Butterfly Tenergy 05 1.9
Waldmeister View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waldmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2009 at 5:16pm
The beginning and the end of the service motion-"way" should always look the same to your oponnent. Vary spin by hitting the ball on different points on the motion way or by altering the hitting motion, without changing beginning and end of the service stroke. 
P�����������������������h
Dafydd393 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dafydd393 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2009 at 6:14pm
Thanks for all the tips and advice. I made a few vids of my serves that I will convert and post tomorrow.

Thanks again, David
Fh - Boost TC 2.0mm
Bh - Boost TC 2.0mm
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2009 at 12:56am
try at the very last moment before the ball contacts the racket, try to change the angle of your blade
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2009 at 12:59am
Originally posted by johnny89atc johnny89atc wrote:

tpgh2k and icontek are also right. tpgh2k (if I understand it correctly)says that when you make your pendulum serve, you should start with a motion downwards and end it with an upward motion.If you contact the ball early, you'll put underspin, in the midle of the motion it's sidespin and in the end you are going to have topspin.Ryu Seung Min makes a similar motion at his pendulum (I love his serves!)...

Bingo! i was afraid i didn't explain it clearly Big%20smile
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2009 at 1:30am
I am relatively new to TT but I will throw in my 2 cents worth in anyway.  It may be entirely wrong but you might get some ideas that might help you.

I think there are 3 basic types of deception serves.  The first and simplest one just involves hitting the ball on a differnet part of the blade.  The tip is always moving faster than the middle or area by the handle so it produces move spin.  Unless the blade speed is really fast, a good opponent can easily see the contact point.  I see this as more of reducing reaction time rather than deception, but if an opponent is not paying attention he can be completely fooled.

The 2nd method, already mentioned, involves moving the tip of the racquet in a semi-circular motion.   At one point it is moving down, at another more foreward, and finally slightly up.   The timing of the contact determines whether you get under, side, or top.   This is the basis of deception in the pendelum serves.   Of course the change of direction of the tip has to happen quickly so that the opponent can not really tell at what point the contact was made.   If done too slowly, you get more of reduction in reaction time effect as in method 1.

The 3rd method involves depth perception error.   In these types of serves the racket is moved straight toward the opponent and at the same time a blade angle change or a secondary movement is added.  Sometimes this secondary movement is done at or just before contact and at other times just after contact.   Limited depth perception of 2 in-line objects (ball and racket) can keep the oppenent from determining if the movement happened before or after contact.   The "scoop" serve where the racket is pushed tip forward toward the opponent can use this.   The blade can go from  angled down (slight top to dead) to level (full underspin) and anywhere in between.  The tip up at the end is just a follow through effect but does add some more deception.    You can also do a side-spin deception with the scoop.   Start with the basic timing for the underspin (level blade) serve.  Then add or fake a side-spin component by raising one side of the blade just before (side-under) or just after (under only) contact.    

Another version of the depth perception effect is making a wrist snap at contact or slightly after contact.   If the blade angle is kept constant and farily hoizontal you can produce heavy underspin with wrist snap at contact  and very light underspin if the snap is done after contact without the opponent being able to read if the snap was at or after contact.   Blade movent needs to be straight at the opponent.   If there is too much side movement it becomes eaiser to tell if the snap was at or after contact.  The last version involves an up and then down motion.  Usually it is a down and forward motion followed by an up and back motion.  Contact on the down and forward part creates underspin.  Contact on the up and back (even with an open racket) produces topspin.   Just as with the pendulum serve, the timing difference between down and up contact points must be really small.  I like to combine this with a little side-spin producing motion.  I think it is harder to recognize side-top vs side-under than it is to see top vs under when watching the ball bounce.

Good luck with your servers.

Mark

figgie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote figgie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2009 at 8:59am
I am going against everyone on here.

First off, if your serves are being attacked by stronger players. That means it is not low enough and/or spinny enough. Before working on deception, work on those two as those will reap benifits before deception makes an ounce of diffrence.

With that said, how is are your short serves (double bounce) and you long serves? Or are both type just big blob riding somewhere in the middle? ;)

get where I am coming from?
Speed glue, booster, tuner free since 2006!!!
Dafydd393 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dafydd393 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2009 at 9:15am
Originally posted by figgie figgie wrote:

I am going against everyone on here.

First off, if your serves are being attacked by stronger players. That means it is not low enough and/or spinny enough. Before working on deception, work on those two as those will reap benifits before deception makes an ounce of diffrence.

With that said, how is are your short serves (double bounce) and you long serves? Or are both type just big blob riding somewhere in the middle? ;)

get where I am coming from?

Thanks, I will keep this in mind. Mostly my serves are double bounce but I do vary the length and against weaker players I serve long so the I get a long return that is fairly easy to attack.
Fh - Boost TC 2.0mm
Bh - Boost TC 2.0mm
Low Tek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Low Tek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2009 at 10:47am
Originally posted by tpgh2k tpgh2k wrote:

most basic deception is pendulum underspin/topspin. a bit tough to explain but it depends (again) on the contact point. another way to explain it would be if you hit the ball early or late in your motion...

Hehehe. I can confirm this. Tuan loves my Pendulum serves. =]

Also, when doing a Pendulum Serve make note of where the ending point of your motion occurs. I noticed that sometimes when I did an Underspin serve my racket motion would end with my blade being flat. While my topspin serves ended with my racket in a more open position. Some players would see this and use the ending motion to see what kind of spin I put on the ball.

After practicing in a mirror I saw how my ending motion would give away the spin. I now try to end my motion with an open racket for both types of serves.
Dafydd393 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dafydd393 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2009 at 5:56pm

Video as Promised. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Di9IoKVR-Os Sorry for not embedding this! More videos will be posted tomorrow.

Any tips/views/advice welcome.
Fh - Boost TC 2.0mm
Bh - Boost TC 2.0mm
ChopSmash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChopSmash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2009 at 2:29pm
Your serves are very visible. Contact with the ball is out in front on the body, and is rather easy to see what the racket is doing. Many opponents get clues about serve spin by seeing what the racket is doing. I suggest that you make the racket less visible, and therefore make it more difficult for the opponent to see what the racket is doing. The ball has to be visible at all times, but the racket doesn't. You can hide what the racket is doing in any way you want. To make the racket less visible, contact with the ball should not be out in front of the body. Make contact closer to the right side of the body, and turn the body farther toward the right. Make small changes, a little at a time, over weeks, or even months.
Dawei Genote S
FH Nittaku Hammond Pro β
BH Yasaka Mark V
Dafydd393 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dafydd393 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2009 at 2:49pm
Thanks ChopSmash. Do you think that I should stand more 'side on' to the table in order to hide the contact?
Fh - Boost TC 2.0mm
Bh - Boost TC 2.0mm
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2009 at 2:55pm
i would stand near the corner as much as possible. you contact the ball a bit high also. just make sure that the bounce isn't too high. or else your serves will get murdered.
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

Dafydd393 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dafydd393 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2009 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by tpgh2k tpgh2k wrote:

i would stand near the corner as much as possible. you contact the ball a bit high also. just make sure that the bounce isn't too high. or else your serves will get murdered.

When playing on a proper table I do stand near the corner (left leg in line with the table leg) but as this was shot in my kitchen, space was limited and to get my serve in shot I had to stand further in and back.

EDIT: New video uploaded!

Fh - Boost TC 2.0mm
Bh - Boost TC 2.0mm
ChopSmash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChopSmash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2009 at 3:21pm
<<<<more 'side on' to the table>>>

Yes. Turn the body more toward the right. And, as tphg2k wrote, get a little bit lower. Bend over at the waist a bit. Bend the knees a bit more.
Dawei Genote S
FH Nittaku Hammond Pro β
BH Yasaka Mark V
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic