Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hexer Review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hans Regenkurt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hexer Review
    Posted: 09/05/2009 at 6:49am
I had a one hour long hit with the Hexer one of my team mates yesterday. I would be about an USATT 2000 player.

All in all it does not suit my forehand game fast as I hoped it would. The details:

Its thickness is 2.1, the sponge is the new type which is the same as that of the Barracuda and Genius(there are a lot of little holes in it).

I would compare it to Joola Express 1 max which I've been using for the past few months. The Hexer is tangibly softer than E1 and lighter, too. I play powerful topspins from every location possible and only push 2-3 times after service reception.

The Hexer is ok to start a rally with and it gives you good control and somewhat more dwell time than E1. However, its relative softness and flight path prevents the agressive player from keeping the opponent under pressure from further than 1.5 meters off the table. The rubber somehow lacks power from a distance. Not the rubber for the Kreanga style players.

The positive things about it are: good to receive service, good short game, blocks well, service is average, counters well. Chops well over the table.

The topsheet is grippier than E1. The feel is better than E1.

Overall:

Speed: E1 faster
Spin: at high speed E1 is spinnier, on slow shots Hexer wins

In my opinion it is more of a backhand rubber.

It could be similar to T64 without the Chinese feel.

IT didnt strike me as a big surprise, so in spite of the fancy marketing I would say it is a competitor to T64 at a reasonable price, but if you want a powerful rubber for your forehand to play like Kreanga this should not be your choice.
Sponsored Links

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2009 at 6:55am
I forgot to mention that the flight path problem could be eliminated by using a hard blade, like Koto outer plied ones or newer carbon blades. It didnt work really well on TBS, and i gues it wouldnt on Primo Carbon or Schlager carbon.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2009 at 3:51am
Played with it again, there is a lot of glue build up on the sponge now, so it stuck to the blade better than the first time. Still on TBS, Tenergy 05 on the other side.

The speed and spin it can create is amazing, surpasses Tenergy 05. The downside is that you have got to work very hard for it, it needs hard strokes.

Our conclusion yesterday was that this rubber needs an off+ blade to work fully well on. Further results coming soon but it looks like i'm going to have to correct myself on the speed from the distance.
Atomica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atomica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2009 at 4:13am
 I have just put this rubber (Hexer) on a Donic Waldner Black Devil Carbon blade, along with a sheet of Tibhar Sinus Sound.

I wont be able to have a proper hit with it until tomorrow evening, hopefully the speed and feel of the Black Devil should bring out the best in both rubbers.
bagung View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bagung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2009 at 10:29am
how does it compare to Roxons....?
thanks...
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2009 at 10:50am
I havent tried any of the roxons, so i dont know.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2009 at 4:42am
After further testing I have come to the conclusion that my first impressions were correct.

I have bought a new blade, Andro Kinetic CF Light Off+, which is awsome by the way, put the two rubbers aforementioned on it.

Hexer is for controlled looping, but not for winning very fast counter looping rallies.

It is good at opening up a point, it gives slightly more spin and much better feel than E1 on slow loops and lets you place the ball precisely. You have much better control over the amount of spin than with E1.

All in all it is a backhand rubber that you can use to spin up the ball and disturb your opponent with cleverly placed, slow but spinny loops, however, if your style is to finish the rally by outpowering your opponent, choose another rubber.

I think it is spinnier than T64, but T64 has a better flight curve which makes it a better option for off the table loopers.
bozbrisvegas View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2010 at 8:49am
I didn't find it faster than tenergy 05 at all.  There are ways of hitting it which are faster but they are not the type of shot which is as high percentage IMO.  In most shots it is slower and much less spin.

I have sold my Hexer now so my 20 hours of testing are done.

Grubba Variant ALL
fh: Hurricane 38 degrees MAX
bh: tensor MAX
Watch me playing TT
Nhung View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nhung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2010 at 9:27am
Originally posted by bozbrisvegas bozbrisvegas wrote:

I didn't find it faster than tenergy 05 at all.  There are ways of hitting it which are faster but they are not the type of shot which is as high percentage IMO.  In most shots it is slower and much less spin.

I have sold my Hexer now so my 20 hours of testing are done.

True, it is not faster than T05/T64 at all and one should use it on a hard blade. TBS is not a good choice
FH: Tenergy 64
BH: Tenergy 05

FH: Hexer+
BH: Hexer

BH: Joola Xpress 2
FH: Bryce Speed FX
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2010 at 9:48am
Originally posted by bagung bagung wrote:

how does it compare to Roxons....?
thanks...

I've made a review comparing it to Roxon 450 and 500 here:

http://www.affordablett.com.au/smf/index.php/topic,681.0.html

In general, I would say it requires more effort then Roxon, but it is easier to play short with it as it isn't as bouncy as the Roxons are. Seems to be less durable then Roxon as well.
The holy grail
Nhung View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nhung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2010 at 10:35am
In general, I would say it requires more effort then Roxon, but it is easier to play short with it as it isn't as bouncy as the Roxons are. Seems to be less durable then Roxon as well.

What makes you think that Hexer is less durable then Roxon. I think that Roxon's speed glue effect only lasts a few weeks. 

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2010 at 11:40am
Originally posted by Hans Regenkurt Hans Regenkurt wrote:

I would say it is a competitor to T64 at a reasonable price

Feel is quite different, though.  Hexer is much softer and slower, less feel on blocking, nowhere near as good off the table.
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2010 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by Nhung Nhung wrote:

Quote In general, I would say it requires more effort then Roxon, but it is easier to play short with it as it isn't as bouncy as the Roxons are. Seems to be less durable then Roxon as well.

What makes you think that Hexer is less durable then Roxon. I think that�Roxon's speed glue effect�only lasts a few weeks.�

The surface on the one I have changed dramatically with in the first two weeks as it went from a moist kind of grip to a very dry kind of grip and this decreased the spin in the short game. This might not be durability, as this might be how it is supposed to be, once broken in.

It was also very fragile and I got two (minor) chips on it the first time I used it. Sure, I caught the table (gentle) but I've done this loads of times with the Roxon with out any visible damage to the rubber.

To me, Roxon seems to last for at least 10-12 weeks, but I have heard players who uses 10 months old Roxon and claims it still plays as new.
The holy grail
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2010 at 5:06pm
I had my first hit ever today with a sheet of Roxon 450 today, quite nice, by far the best Tensor I have ever used.  I will probably stick with Tenergy 05, but the Roxon was impressive.  I would like Hexer if it played with a somewhat harder feel.
Nhung View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nhung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2010 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

I had my first hit ever today with a sheet of Roxon 450 today, quite nice, by far the best Tensor I have ever used.� I will probably stick with Tenergy 05, but the Roxon was impressive.� I would like Hexer if it played with a somewhat harder feel.

Yes same for me. but Roxon 450 is also soft don't you think

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2010 at 9:44pm
Definitely softer than T05!  But maybe a little bit harder than Hexer.  For some reason the softness of the Roxon 450 relative to T05 was less of a bummer than it was for the Hexer.  I'm not sure why.
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2010 at 11:55pm
I love hexer for the
- great short game(much slower than T05),
-very good away from table looping angle, consistency, speed(which is higher than T05)
-decent life for a tensor, when you use spinmax

but where i am looking for an improvement is a little harder sponge.. or else over the table drives and blocks suffer. here tenergy 05 is significantly better.

i am looking forward to hexer+.

and also want to know:
how mark v hps (not soft), and xiom vega pro compares in these 2 dept compared to hexer and tenergy?

729-F1||Rhyzm-P(FH)|| Rasant Grip orRhyzm-P max(BH)
vid1
Vid 2
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2010 at 12:38am
Debraj I'm quite hurt that you never said anything about me trying Hexer.  I am like a child wanting their father's approval.

Seriously now,  I found Hexer much more tenergy 64 in that they both have much more non linear propulsion.  I would put these 2 in the same category as hurricane III neo. (cant say normal hurricane since I havent really trialled).

Non linear

I would have a hard time saying which plays slower at the slow end.  Hexer or hurricane III neo.

I found tenergy 64 less linear than Hexer.  Hexer and Hurricane III neo are really really slow at the slow end, still slow at the middle and at the super high end uncontrollably fast.  Hexer is faster at this super high end but it is just as uncontrollable as the hurricane III neo. 

Why do I say this?  Both these rubbers flatten out their trajectory to straight lines no matter which blade I use when digging in. 

Hexer is too soft at the high end flattening out with a huge catapult in straight line, not allowing full strength.  Something similar happens with h3 neo but more chaotic depending on tack. 

tenergy 64 has the same non linearness but is more consistantly fast and at the full swing power end flattening out but not so extreme because of the denser sponge.  The high speed and more spin than hexer makes it consistant.   I still find tenergy 64 way too non linear at times I need more control. 

If I picked up the Hexer 2 years ago - I would have joined bought 20 sheets. 
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2010 at 12:44am
okay dude i was just waiting for you to spend some more hours with hexer... and looks like you have done that already. good. so at least you know how hexer feels.. and if tenergy fx feels like linear harder hexer... may be i will be interested to try some.

so when are you joining bfy? ;)
vid1
Vid 2
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2010 at 12:47am
20 hours and I sold it,

but it has opened my mind to why tenergy fx is probably going to flop similar to tenergy 25.

I will joing btf when you get your Andro dealership. Ying%20Yang
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2010 at 12:52am
What is Hexer+?  Is this something coming out soon?  Hexer with a harder feel would be quite nice. 

Vega Pro is nothing at all like T05, T64 or Hexer, although it is quite linear and spinny when you can dig in.  Much slower, more like Baracuda, substantially lower throw angle that some people will like a lot.  very controlled.  People who can play with Chinese sponges will be able to use it, even though it is not in the least bit tacky.  Not good for me, though. 
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2010 at 12:57am
  das ist Hexer danke
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2010 at 2:14am
So how do you think it will be different?  Harder would be nice.
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2010 at 3:38am
I think it will be harder then regular Hexer, I know it is supposed to be faster.
The holy grail
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2010 at 8:01am
I thought Hexer+ is a harder version of Hexer. But from chinese forum they say it's softer than Hexer. I wish a harder Hexer although I haven't used hexer LOL
Waiting Haifu Waterbase glue to arrive and will try it and compare it with T05.
Andro Wanokiwami AO Offensive 83 gr
H3 National Orange 40 deg 2.2
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

pingpongrob View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongrob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2010 at 9:14am
Originally posted by peter79 peter79 wrote:

I thought Hexer+ is a harder version of Hexer. But from chinese forum they say it's softer than Hexer. I wish a harder Hexer although I haven't used hexer LOL
Waiting Haifu Waterbase glue to arrive and will try it and compare it with T05.

The Chinese Forums have got it wrong.

Hexer+ will be a harder version.
Distributor for Andro, XIOM, Tibhar, Joola, Dr Neubauer, Donic, DHS, AIR, Dawei, 729 & Yinhe

http://www.affordablett.com.au
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2010 at 12:06pm
slurp slurp. Go Rob!!

yes harder it is...and definitely want it to retain most of the hexer properties that are topsheet-related.
vid1
Vid 2
dragon kid View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2010 at 1:05pm
I have been using Hexer on my Backhand for about 10 hours of practice and play. Before that I was using T05 for the last year and a half.
I must say I am going to join debraj's Hexer wagon. From the first hit I found that I can play with it without needing much adjustment. The speed on high gear will be close to T05. The T05 spin is much better on my serves. But the control of this rubber is amazing the blocks are great, the opening loop is better, easier to place the ball, and it flat hits better. Thus my BH play is more consistent with Hexer.
The downside are my BH serves will be less spiny and my BH push will have less backspin. That probably means I need to twiddle to serve with my H3Neo from time to time. But I can say that Hexer will be a permanent BH rubber for me for the foreseeable future.
655H3PClassicAcudaS1
'Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody'
speaquinox View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speaquinox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2010 at 3:18am
Originally posted by debraj debraj wrote:

and also want to know:
how mark v hps (not soft), and xiom vega pro compares in these 2 dept compared to hexer and tenergy?

debraj, you know I got the HPS Soft. Last week I bought a pair of regular Mark Vs. After comparing HPS with regular Mark V, I can now say that the topsheets are identical. Using slower strokes, the tophseet has the classic grip. So, pushing, serving, openning loops are very nice. However, the problem I see in HPS is that the sponge is not that good as the latest Tensors (Vega, Hexer etc.) or SS of Tenergy. I must say it's fast. I tuned the regular quite a bit to come close to HPS as per speed. But this fast sponge doesn't seem to help the spin. You cannot consistently feel the "click" when looping, unless you made a proper stroke each time. Even so, the glue effect is not good.  When speed increases, the sponge is just fast, doesn't seem to help the mechanical spin that as we are used to like most new gen rubbers. So this makes it less forgiving, some counters going flattish. My tuned Mark V has similiar speed (maybe lower?!) with much better spin characteristics. Just to let you know, since I know you're interested in this rubber.
Innerforce ALC, Glayzer / Rozena
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic