FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

DHS HK 655 blade Review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
ohhgourami View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DHS HK 655 blade Review
    Posted: 11/01/2009 at 12:23am
As some of you already know, I have been looking for a new Hurricane King with a thicker handle and I have finally found it.  I just got it last night and I currently don't have any glue on me or time to hit so I decided to take pictures of it.  I should have a review posted up within a few days comparing it to my old HK.  I'm sure there are users out there that are curious of how the new ones play and I think its best to compare it to the old one since nothing is quite like it.

Here are a few pics:

This HK is 90 grams compared to 86 grams on the I07.  I don't think it will feel much different as the 655 has more weight towards the handle making much less head heavy.

The handles are the same width, but there is more thickness on middle section on the new one Smile  Same sized handle as the Clipper CR.

As you can already see, the middle ply is definitely thicker, I'd say 40-50% thicker but the outer ply seems to be slightly thinner.  Will that affect how much spin I can get?  We will see.

The wood grain is much finer this time so there is definitely no need for sealing this blade, not like I sealed my old one anyway.

The pictures aren't exactly the clearest since I took them with my phone and its becoming obsolete.
Custom Walnut 7-ply
DHS H3 Provincial untuned 40°
BTY T64
210g
Sponsored Links

Sallom89 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sallom89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2009 at 2:46am
Nice, good luck with it.
Member of Wang Hao fan club.

Hurricane Hao III
FH: Thors
RPB: Omega Pro
chris.b40 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.b40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2009 at 10:10am
is that a fl handle? looks rather long
      AVALOX BLUE THUNDER
Asaomi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asaomi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2009 at 3:35pm
This will be interesting. please keep us updated!
Butterfly Viscaria
FH: DHS Hurricane 3
BH: Stiga Calibra Sound
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2009 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by chris.b40 chris.b40 wrote:

is that a fl handle? looks rather long

yup its flared,  both HKs have exactly the same dimensions except for thickness.  maybe the HK handles are a bit longer than standard?  sounds about right since my hand is lower down the handle when holding my Joola blades.
Custom Walnut 7-ply
BTY T64
210g
ejmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2009 at 4:12pm
when the blade gets thicker the gravity center goes to the head not to the handle.

you can compare gravity center in blades by just looking at what point the blade falls by putting in the border of a table. the less distance from the handle the more the gravity center goes to the handle and less head heavy. just do it with both blades and you get.

the more blade surface also will make the blade more head heavy when putting the rubbers.

hh656 is more head heavy than hh. but it is ok it is well balanced.

the problem with head heavy is when you feel much charging and unbalanced. if not there is no problem.

EJ Club.

MM T05(fh)/Srvfx(bh); InfVps,LSW,Viscaria,RwV,TBAlc,PG7,yextsc,yeo. EJmaster wood.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2009 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by ejmaster ejmaster wrote:

when the blade gets thicker the gravity center goes to the head not to the handle.

you can compare gravity center in blades by just looking at what point the blade falls by putting in the border of a table. the less distance from the handle the more the gravity center goes to the handle and less head heavy. just do it with both blades and you get.

the more blade surface also will make the blade more head heavy when putting the rubbers.

hh656 is more head heavy than hh. but it is ok it is well balanced.

the problem with head heavy is when you feel much charging and unbalanced. if not there i no problem.

i see your logic on this but the 655 is definitely less head heavy.  i did a test similar to yours and it confirms so.  even when swinging both blades (without rubber) the 655 swings lighter.  with rubbers on the blade, it should also be more balance since they both have the same surface area.  like i said, your logic makes perfect sense, but this blade must have been designed this way.

when i get back to school, i might get some hitting time on a cheap table, but hitting time nonetheless Big%20smile  i should have a few updates sometime before midnight (PST)
Custom Walnut 7-ply
BTY T64
210g
chris.b40 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.b40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2009 at 7:41pm
when the blade gets thinner the center of gravity goes to the handle?
      AVALOX BLUE THUNDER
chris.b40 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.b40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2009 at 7:52pm
Your rebound is saying 76 mine is 73
      AVALOX BLUE THUNDER
ejmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2009 at 8:51pm
yes chris when the blade gets thiner the gravity center goes to the handle.
ejmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2009 at 8:59pm
these are good news ohh, because if hk655 is less head heavy is because the handle is thicker what for me is good. i didnt like the thin hk07.

and i like gets thicker in the middle section.

hope this is true because in tenor people said not head heavy and it is with rubbers, because tenor also has a little bigger surface blade, not as hk655 being the same surface blade as hk.
ejmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2009 at 9:13pm
in hh656 handle is exactly the same as hh so it is a little more head balance.

btwy i change tenor handle by hk05 handle (i had one i didnt like it beacuse very thin), and i got better balanced tenor and comfortable handle. however the weight kept being too heavy. but i can play with this heavy. i can not play head balanced and heavy weight.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/02/2009 at 4:48am
I finally got my rubbers glued onto the 655.  I'm using my old rubbers from the old HK and for some reason the rubbers don't fit perfectly Confused  Theres just a bit of wood showing but that won't be an issue (i hope).  The first thing I noticed about this set up is that it is significantly heavier but I'm not sure about head heaviness.  I would say it is a bit less or about the same.  My blade might be heavier than it should be since I just put added an extra layer as I did not peel off the old glue from the rubbers (i just hope it doesn't affect the playing properties).  Of course the blade feels much thicker now too.  Besides these things, the blade feels great in my hands as the handle is finally a good size Smile  Serving will be different as I grip the rubbers to serve and the thickness will take some time to get used to, but thats not an issue.

I had some things to take care of earlier so I couldn't get any hitting and my hitting partners gf was nagging him so he had to bail too.  BUT I did do some bounce test and just smacked the ball off the wall and I'll say there are some differences.  The first difference is the feel, there is definitely no lost in feel compared to the old one, but different.  The old one had more of a shaky vibration while this one has a nice solid resonance.  Must be from the thickness.  Also it sounds different when bounce the ball off it.  It is LOUDER, but its a lower pitched crack sound when I flat hit.

I'll have more information tomorrow night.  I also hope the additional weight will not affect my swing speed significantly as I barely got used to my old setup after using Express 1 Ermm I might consider regluing the rubbers if the weight is a bit much.  Anyone have extensive experience with Joola X Glue?  My 2300 friend can just peel ALL the glue with one quick pull across.  I have no idea how he's able to do that...

Sorry I couldn't hit with you CGS.  The tank ended up taking 3 hours to set up.
Custom Walnut 7-ply
BTY T64
210g
liang1983 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liang1983 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/02/2009 at 5:04am

tell me more info after you played... ... Tq

Butterfly Photino
Tenergy 05
Tenergy 05
chris.b40 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.b40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/02/2009 at 6:21am
One question ,what do you owners of Hks use as back up blades ?

Hk is not exactly cheap so ownin two of these at once is taxing on the pocket.
      AVALOX BLUE THUNDER
ejmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/02/2009 at 9:04am
if the blade is thicker and the handle too, the blade should be heavier, unless the wood is changed. no miracle.
dan_can View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dan_can Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/02/2009 at 11:15am
HK655 could be heavier than HK by 4 - 6 grams.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/2009 at 3:49am
Now to finally write my long awaited review on the HK 655 Smile

While warming up with just flat hits, is consistent with my initial observations.  It is definitely more powerful and the feel is different but this different feeling isn't a bad thing (i like it a lot more).  And did I say its more powerful? Big%20smile  It's a lot more powerful than the old one, but it's not out of control.  It just plays beautifully with H3 NEO.

Over the table loops:  Absolutely amazing.  No control lost compared to the previous one and seems like it has more spin too!  Backhand feels fantastic because the HK is more solid, the ball digs deeper into the sponge.

Mid table looping:  I think this is where the blade shines.  If you ever had the problem that the ball would slow down too much by the time it reached the other side or after it has bounced off the table with the old HK, well that problem has been solved.  Looping from mid table is a joy and my consistency went up so much but yet I can hit hard with relentlessness speed.

Overall, when it comes to performance wise.  This new one is just an improvement on the old HK.  As advertise, its a fix for the new non-toxic glue era.  Coming off the old one, the 655 needs little to no adjustment in the way you hit.  And not you don't need to swing as hard to product the same loop with the old version.  The thing I like about this blade the most is the feeling.  For me, that is the biggest improvement since I thought the old one might have had too much feeling or at least felt shaky.  It still has probably the same feeling but its a softer vibration, less abrupt and unstable.  Also, the handle feels amazing since it's finally fits my hand well.  The thicker ply is giving me blisters but that's fine.

Some last words:  I must repeat that the HK655 is a fantastic blade: the best I've ever used.  I don't think I'll ever buy another blade Shocked (its that good).  Is it worth the price?  Maybe not.  This blade is truly one of the finer things in life.  If you're happy with your current blade, I'd just stick with it.  But if you have a few hundred dollars to blow on a blade that meant to be paired with chinese rubbers, this is definitely one to consider.
Custom Walnut 7-ply
BTY T64
210g
tdragon View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/2009 at 3:59am
Originally posted by chris.b40 chris.b40 wrote:

One question ,what do you owners of Hks use as back up blades ?

Hk is not exactly cheap so ownin two of these at once is taxing on the pocket.
You could have Stiga Offensive NCT as your back up. It does not have the speed like HK, but it has more flex and better control. I have couple friends (including my coach) using it.
chris.b40 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.b40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/2009 at 8:21am
ohhgourami   Nice to know I am not alone ? very truthful ,tell it like it is review.
      AVALOX BLUE THUNDER
chris.b40 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.b40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/2009 at 8:32am
[/QUOTE] You could have Stiga Offensive NCT as your back up. It does not have the speed like HK, but it has more flex and better control. I have couple friends (including my coach) using it.[/QUOTE]

The truth is I have only owned one stiga blade (Ebenholz), and like most owners I am quite disappointed,after trying this blade with several rubber combinations I gave up. Not that good stiga blades do not exist, but I am reluctant to buy another in the Stiga brand.
  However, IMO there is no other all wood blade like HK655.

If this price ever drops to the level of most other blades this blades sales will go triple platinum.
      AVALOX BLUE THUNDER
chris.b40 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.b40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/2009 at 8:51am
p8187410.JPG
      AVALOX BLUE THUNDER
chris.b40 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.b40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/2009 at 8:53am
p8187407.JPG
      AVALOX BLUE THUNDER
chris.b40 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.b40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/2009 at 8:55am
These pics are of my blade purchased from ttrubberman.com
      AVALOX BLUE THUNDER
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/2009 at 4:12pm
WOW 95 grams?!  i cant imagine adding another 5 grams to the setup.  im still getting used to the weight of my unwieldy beast.
Custom Walnut 7-ply
BTY T64
210g
chris.b40 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.b40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/2009 at 4:59pm

Believe it when I tell you that my set up used to be about 85 grms. this has a more solid hit.  kills are dead...never to be returned again

Most loop drives are one shot hits, and blocks off of stingy drives are blown away across the other end of the table.

People I know say that you can play and win with any type of blade I say a great blade enhances great play.

Just came from Utah games where I beat a 2000 rated player in a masters tournament. Won gold in the doubbles.
      AVALOX BLUE THUNDER
chris.b40 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.b40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/2009 at 5:01pm
Noticed you play with joola express pips ,how are they on the hk 655?
      AVALOX BLUE THUNDER
chris.b40 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.b40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/2009 at 5:07pm

Your old hk ,are you selling it ?    If so,  pm me.

AVALOX BLUE THUNDER
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/2009 at 5:16pm
I agree that this blade definitely enhances great play and most shots definitely do not come back.  Im definitely no where near your level of play though.  I think most people would wonder why im even using something so fast.  Shocked

Express 1 is inverted.  i think it plays great on the 655 compared to the other Joola tensors ive tried.

i dont plan on selling the old HK, but if you PM me an offer, i might just rethink that Wink
Custom Walnut 7-ply
BTY T64
210g
cagaragesales View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cagaragesales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/2009 at 7:16pm
If you look closely, you can see my fingerprints on that 1st edition HK655 =) Just Kidding
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic