Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Should begginers use the same rubber on both sides
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Should begginers use the same rubber on both sides

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
gytt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Should begginers use the same rubber on both sides
    Posted: 11/06/2009 at 4:31am
Hi All,
Any advise on the subject? I just got a Yasaka Classic (FL) blade and am considering the rubber.

Read an article that says beginners like me should start by using the same rubber on both sides. Any views and why?

"Choosing your table tennis rubber sheets - As we discussed earlier, your choice of rubber will be dictated by your style of play. If you're a beginner I'd recommend that you use reverse rubbers.
Additionally, I'd recommend that you use the same type of rubber on both sides of your racket as this will help you to develop your strokes."
For now, I am considering using the RITC 729 Cross rubber. Is it suitable?

Sponsored Links

Boss1703 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boss1703 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/2009 at 4:36am
i think it really depends where you are...

on forum as tennisdetable.com they recommend tibhar IVL+sriver fx+varispin.
https://www.facebook.com/pierrefiassemapageping

updated 20.11.10 http://bosscollection.skyrock.com

http://tennisdetablecomtests.skyrock.com

kelvinyoong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelvinyoong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/2009 at 4:40am
Srivers L on both sides will do. Maybe get a thinner sponge like 1.7 or 1.9 for the BH.
Andrzej Grubba AN
Sriver 2.1 Sriver 1.9
popperlocker View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popperlocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/2009 at 4:47am
it's a good idea to use the same rubber so you don't get confused and have to make adjustments constantly. quote kreanga, "i recommend for new players steady..."
when i started, having two different sides was annoying, i was more concentrated on twiddling than the actual stoke.
if young player under 1700 usatt, you should not be worried about twiddling, what rubber you have, or varying spin.
fardude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fardude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/2009 at 6:17am
i dont think beginners should even worry about their equipment, they should be worrying about their techniques 
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/2009 at 6:53am
as long as its not bryce max or tenergy max on both sides
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
Schlager View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schlager Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/2009 at 7:42am
I would definitely recommend starting with the same rubber on both sides. Same thickness too. I used to twiddle so much, and could never deside on what rubber to have on fh/bh. Vario Soft is a great rubber for beginners IMO. A little softer than Sriver and Mark V, and a grippy topsheet without being tacky like chinese rubbers.
Blade: Butterfly M. Maze Off ST

Rubbers: Bluefire M2 2.0
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/2009 at 10:43am
I agree with the majority above - and also-

-Same rubber both sides creates balanced swing weight (the racquet swings the same way in both directions)
-Same rubber both sides actually *helps* you focus on technique (you come to better understand how FH and BH strokes are related in terms of control and power)

I would stay away from tacky topsheets (like many 729 sheets) as a beginner as they are more unforgiving to incoming spin; you will have many more unforced errors as you are learning to read spin.
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
GBtabletennis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBtabletennis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/2009 at 11:33am
I always say to kids, get sriver FX on your forehand and sriver EL on your backhand, choose same thickness, 1.7mm but if you want faster on your forehand go for 1.9.

But what I learned here, is that you don't have to change your equipment to get better, what I see at my club, that beginners get new equipment in a short time.
The funniest thing that a beginner bought Tenergy, he said to me, that he plays better with it... Ok.. Play against me! And he realize that I was right that Tenergy is bad for him, cause his technique was worse. (It's still worse after one year.) He has changed his rubbers for 5 times a year with  different thickness.
But I think, just start with Sriver and get a new blade what you like, not the rubbers. I think the blade is very important, because that's how you want to feel it; Do you want it fast and hard, or slow and soft.. More important than new rubbers.

What's the best beginners blade? And don't say Timo Boll Off- or Timo Boll All+, many beginners have broken that blade (see it 3 times happening at 4 months, and it was a new blade, no longer used than 2 months)
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/2009 at 12:36pm
I don't think it matters if you want to get a slightly more controlled rubber for your bh.  It's not like the two shots interfere with each other.  they are totally different strokes that occupy different spots in your brain.  There's no "confusion."  Now if you were to get long pips or anti or even way different rubbers, that would be a different story.  But I think it's fine to go like 2.0/1.8 or whatever.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
gytt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2009 at 6:16am
Hi All,
Good comments and advise. Thank you so much.

I've a good idea after reading the posts and I got to say it helped me decide on the rubber as well as whether I should go for both sides.

So I did use the same rubber on both sides and played yesterday. Never was I made to worry about twiddling, I just tried to execute my strokes and building on my technique.

Thanks again!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic