FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

petermoo reviews Andro Hexer (sort of)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
petermoo View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petermoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: petermoo reviews Andro Hexer (sort of)
    Posted: 11/17/2009 at 12:13pm
I've been reading quite a few threads on Andro Hexer lately and I noticed a lot of comparisons with Tenergy, so I decided to give it a spin (no pun intended) for myself.
Pressed for time as I am, I will give a little mni review this time and also maybe contradict a few of the things I have seen posted (sorry about that and respect to all)
Hexer roughly resembles Tenergy in that it has the rough irregular foamy sponge type of construction (ESN's 'spring sponge') it cuts really easy but as far as I'm concerned , thats where the resemblance ends.
Its lighter than any of the Tenergys by maybe 10 -15 % (I saw someone said it was heavy, so I have to disagree there).
The sponge was harder than JO Gold, T05 but a tad softer than Platin (regular Platin).
The topsheet is not as grippy as Tenergy either.
I wasnt blown away by the spin (tried on two blades) on my services nor on my loops.
I found the throw to be slighty low to medium and it produced really crisp loop drives, A real good forehand mid distance looping rubber.
More linear than Tenergy, better control on incoming spins, I didnt observe a lot of wear and tear on the surfacemfrom my looping so I give it the thumbs up in the durability department.
I think the Hexer has pretty good speed ( do you guys watch Curb your Enthusiasm?) pretty, pretty good! As fast as platin with a little bit more synpathetic touch and feel (better dwell).
Now can someone please forward this review to Christian Suss so he can maybe give it a try?
Petermoo
Sponsored Links

debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2009 at 12:40pm

very nice and precise review petermoo. thats what differentiates professionals from us.

my only contradiction was in the spin department for serves... it
may be a tad less grippy than tenergy topsheet but being slower in short game it prolly allows a little more hand jerk, resulting equal amount of spin.

and yes linear is the word that makes it better than tenergy for me.
729-F1||Rhyzm-P(FH)|| Rasant Grip orRhyzm-P max(BH)
vid1
Vid 2
Anton Chigurh View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2009 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by petermoo petermoo wrote:

I think the Hexer has pretty good speed ( do you guys watch Curb your Enthusiasm?) pretty, pretty good!

LOLLOLLOL Clap
petermoo View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petermoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2009 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by debraj debraj wrote:

very nice and precise review petermoo. thats what differentiates professionals from us.

my only contradiction was in the spin department for serves... it
may be a tad less grippy than tenergy topsheet but being slower in short game it prolly allows a little more hand jerk, resulting equal amount of spin.

and yes linear is the word that makes it better than tenergy for me.
Hi Debraj
It maybe my technique; but I had difficulty getting real bite on my serves with Hexer (and also Gold, Platin and other tensors). Maybe with practice and a change in my stroke it will come, I remember when Bryce first came out I could not extract any spin from my serves and later on, I was pretty fine with it.
That's why I called it a sort of review as it really takes more time to adjust and get the optimal results from any rubber.
Petermoo
dragon kid View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2009 at 1:39pm
Hmm..
If you have to choose between the two for competitive play, which one will it be Petermoo? Tenergy or Hexer?
655H3PClassicAcudaS1
'Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody'
Boss1703 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boss1703 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2009 at 2:06pm
i don't know about suss but i know new andro player torben wosik (angers) plays with it.
https://www.facebook.com/pierrefiassemapageping

updated 20.11.10 http://bosscollection.skyrock.com

http://tennisdetablecomtests.skyrock.com

petermoo View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petermoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2009 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by dragon kid dragon kid wrote:

Hmm..
If you have to choose between the two for competitive play, which one will it be Petermoo? Tenergy or Hexer?
I dont know if thats a fair question.
The simple answer is that I would choose the Hexer as it's lighter and I really have a problem playing with heavier rubbers.
Petermoo
dauntless View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dauntless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2009 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by petermoo petermoo wrote:

I found the throw to be slighty low to medium and it produced really crisp loop drives, A real good forehand mid distance looping rubber.
Petermoo

I agree with this. I think it shines here.
I will also agree with the serve part... seemed Mark V was as spinny on service, but that was before I snapped a bit more and then the spin kicked in on Hexer. It seems like you have to really let it "bite" before the rubber comes alive spin wise. You can hear the difference. I will say though that the rubber holds a lot of promise for me sense it HAS control and isn't as reactive to incoming spin. So far pretty impressed. Blocks are a bit disappointing. But again, this could just be a technique issue, and may take some practice.

Gotta say I am still loving Mark V (unglued) on BH can you believe that???LOL
1. BTY Primorac, Nittaku H3N, T64 2. BTY Primorac, H3N, Mendo MP Feedback
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2009 at 1:54pm
boz... !! boz!
vid1
Vid 2
ztec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ztec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2009 at 11:31pm
Hi petermoo, is Hexer heavier or lighter than JO Gold? And where'd you purchase your Hexer from?
kelvinyoong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelvinyoong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2009 at 12:06am
Presports is now selling Hexer @ USD38.00

Not sure how much stock they have.
Andrzej Grubba AN
Sriver 2.1 Sriver 1.9
petermoo View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petermoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2009 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by ztec ztec wrote:

Hi petermoo, is Hexer heavier or lighter than JO Gold? And where'd you purchase your Hexer from?
I have actually gotten rid of the sheet already and so I'm working from memory so I dont want to guess. I think the difference between the two is fairly negligable as far as weight is concerned.
I didnt buy the sheet, It was sent to me for my opinion.
Petermoo
liang1983 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liang1983 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2009 at 9:42am
Originally posted by kelvinyoong kelvinyoong wrote:

Presports is now selling Hexer @ USD38.00

Not sure how much stock they have.
I just checked it, is 42.11USD / RM 130.00
Butterfly Photino
Tenergy 05
Tenergy 05
kelvinyoong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelvinyoong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2009 at 10:20am
I use currency converter from xe.com to get the rate.

USD42 is too high based on the current spot forex rate. Killer pip spreads.
Andrzej Grubba AN
Sriver 2.1 Sriver 1.9
liang1983 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liang1983 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2009 at 11:03am
Is that Andro Hexer durable?? last longer like T05??
Butterfly Photino
Tenergy 05
Tenergy 05
bozbrisvegas View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2010 at 9:01am
Originally posted by debraj debraj wrote:

boz... !! boz!
Yes Debraj?

Lighter is what I have been looking for.  But I am starting to find that Hexer bottoms out much too quickly in high paced rallies.

No disrespect Peter Moo, he is much higher ranked than me that's for sure.   But after playing another 5 hours and against many varied players in that time all I can say is that the only thing Hexer has going for it is its :

1. Lack of speed
2. Lack of spin

which equals
3. Control.

Sorry (well not really sorry, but I just think Hexer has no chance in hell ever coming close to the general consensus, the majority of table tennis players that is spinnier or faster than any of the tenergy.

It is a control rubber, if that is your game it is an excellent rubber.

Grubba Variant ALL
fh: Hurricane 38 degrees MAX
bh: tensor MAX
Watch me playing TT
Fruit loop View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruit loop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2010 at 10:53am
I can vouch for Boz' review. Played with him tonight. The shots off hexer were really easy to block/counter loop. And I'm pretty sure humidity affects it the same as any tenergy.

I had a quick hit with it also. To me it felt closer to t64 (which is a good thing) but it wasn't as crisp feeling even though it was on Boz' ishlion which is harder and faster than my tbs. Hexer reminds me of a 1 month old t64 1.9.

Good rubber to progress and improve with.
Timo Boll Spirit FL
Dr Evil ox both sides.
pingpongrob View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongrob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2010 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by bozbrisvegas bozbrisvegas wrote:

all I can say is that the only thing Hexer has going for it is its :

1. Lack of speed

Yet yesterday you said that impuls speed was to fast for your 50 year old club mate, and that Tenergy automatically placed the balls on the table.

But I am starting to find that Hexer bottoms out much too quickly in high paced rallies.

Mybe Boz, you are hitting the ball to flat.Wink

Boz, think about it - speed is in the control of the beholder, some players get excelland speed from an all round blade (my daughter uses an Andro SuperCore Cell All, and its fast). Spin can be achieved with excellant control.
So my feedback so far from players that have purchased Hexer, is that they prefer Hexer overall, I've even seen a few players do the swap permanantly.

Hexer+ will be released soon, that should aleviate your thirst for speed.

One question for those that are capable to answer, if Tenergy is 100% natural Rubber & Hexer is 100% natural rubber, why does Boz think that Tenergy 05 has more spin - especially on serves. Could it be the slightly harder sponge - We all now the harder the sponge -> the more topspin thats achieved on fast loops, the Softer the sponge -> the more topsins on soft loops.

here's your sponge comparison

Andro Hexer Red 2.1mm - 30.0 degree's
BTY Tenergy Red 2.1mm - 32.2 degree's
Distributor for Andro, XIOM, Tibhar, Joola, Dr Neubauer, Donic, DHS, AIR, Dawei, 729 & Yinhe

http://www.affordablett.com.au
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2010 at 5:59pm
No Pinpong Rob I said impulse speed kept going into the net or off the table.  I didn't say to fast for him.  But you are right if you consider fast to be the low end fast.  In the low end f3 big slam is too fast. 

They are bouncy in the short game and gutless bottoming out at the medium or high end. 
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
LOOPMEISTER View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2010 at 6:05pm
Hey boz, do you mean it bottoms out like the speed reaches a limit when you are away from the table (like a car will top out at 90km/h), or it bottoms out like when you feel the ball hitting the blade (because the rubber is too soft and it bottoms out)...?

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2010 at 6:06pm
you are still saying I am hitting the ball to flat.  What is with that?

I am sure 100% that if I were to graze anymore than I do especially with Hexer the ball will just slip off and hit the ground at my feet.
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2010 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by LOOPMEISTER LOOPMEISTER wrote:

Hey boz, do you mean it bottoms out like the speed reaches a limit when you are away from the table (like a car will top out at 90km/h), or it bottoms out like when you feel the ball hitting the blade (because the rubber is too soft and it bottoms out)...?

Both

And this for me is a big reason why I am starting to lose excitement for tenergy fx.  Don't get me wrong I believe tenergy fx will be far better than Hexer or vega pro europe because the topsheet is far grippier.  The topsheet which most people have overlooked in the last year is actually now becoming a much bigger deciding factor in why these porous sponges are so spinny.

Yes we can talk about pip shape and density but it must be the surface difference too.

Hexer is like a watered down tenergy 64.  I shouldn't even compare Hexer to tenergy 05 anymore. 

Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2010 at 6:53pm

1. Lack of speed

2. Lack of spin

which equals

3. Control.

Seriously Boz, you can not actually believe this your self? lack of spin is not the same as control, it is rather the opposite, the more spin you can generate with your rubber, the more control you have over your shots.

I have used the Hexer on my Dawei Wavestone blade and I can tell that is wasn't slow at all, but it had many gears, and to reach the top gear, you actually had to commit to the stroke. If you are able to handle this, then it should be an advantage, compared to Tensors that are considered as bouncy, because they always give you pretty high speed.

To be honest, to me it looks like you are bad mouthing Hexer due to your interest in the Tenergy, but since I haven't played with any Tenergy, I can not make the comparison my self.

And no, Hexer is not the rubber I pick to play, I actually prefer the Andro Roxon 450 since it suits my game better, mostly so because of the free speed I get from it even when I'm not in perfect position to make the stroke. Besides, I think the durability of the Roxon is better.
The holy grail
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2010 at 7:23pm
Oh well, I suppose now there will be no point in trying any other rubber and doing a review or sharing my opinions of it.

I spent my own $50 to see if what Debraj was raving about was true. I also did the same with hurricane III neo.

I am very happy to find another rubber to contrast on my setup to cause a bit more trouble for the timing of my opponents.

Hurricane III neo is totally totally not me.  I would have to use it for about a year to get half decent with it.

Hexer is what I couldn't find in hurricane.  It is slower and has less spin.

You are right Speed play - I was using the CONTROL  word in the way most table tennis circles use it.

For me Hexer has less control in Active and more control in passive.  Even that is a generalisation.  when moving away from the table and fishing Hexer was way too slow for reaching shots, so for me that is a passive stroke that it fails at.
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2010 at 7:32pm
Your attempt to constantly prove Tenergy's superiority are getting tiring Boz. If you like Tenergy, fine, be happy about it but to constantly claim that it is the best rubber known to man is a bit strange, cause frankly, if this was the best rubber available, then you would probably not be able to handle it. No disrespect, I've seen you play and I do believe you play at a higher level then I am, but you are not a pro. Some rubbers are best for the pro's others are best for the intermediate players while others suit the beginners best.

As stated before, i haven't tried Tenergy, but I do believe that Hexer is a pretty advanced rubber that requires a lot of it's user to perform to it's best.
The holy grail
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2010 at 7:35pm
Unfortunately, it is tiring, sorry.

Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
Piingpoong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Piingpoong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2010 at 9:40pm
Hexer is good with bh in Nittaku Acoustic
Nittaku ACOUSTIC
FH: TG3
BH: Hexer
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2010 at 10:35pm
Yea I think Hexer because it is softer and lower throw will suit a softer blade - but I think the already lower amount of speed will be problematic for people who like to win points away from the table.

Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2010 at 12:15am
boz... not just you i feel the same when moving from tenergy to hexer... and same again while changing from hexer to tenergy....likewise.

Don't comment after 5 hours... at least 2-3 weeks as i had mentioned. after that
- if you don't have problems in looping with tenergy,
- if you don't feel tenergy (05) is speed deficient in away from table loops;
i would seriously question my capability to review a rubber.

but 2-3 weeks at least to mold your game to a higher hold time rubber... requiring different hand speed and stroke.
vid1
Vid 2
speaquinox View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speaquinox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2010 at 3:47am
I guess it's quite normal for Boz to think like this about other rubbers. He's been using 05 for several months. Getting used to Tenergy's grip makes one find other rubbers almost non grippy. Other than that, with T05, we all know that high spin is always there with little effort. So when you try to get same spin with same stroke on any other rubber, one can easily be disappointed. However I know many pros that prefer Boost or even Tensors over Tenergy anyday. 

Innerforce ALC, Glayzer / Rozena
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic