Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

NEXY Reviews: the COLOR blade (FL)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 10>
Author
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2009 at 4:24am
Well no I don't want to oppose your view, its yours. I always stand by my principles though as explained above. It is easy to compare a blade with another make/style and make judgements about performance, which is a quite valid thing to do. If however you take one blade of your choice, and rate the three components of previously mentioned performance (Speed/dwell/touch) against the different modes of production (all-, all+, OFF, OFF+ ) you will see my point. Dwell/touch, NEVER increase in line with speed. That is not so suggest that there is not overlaps of these properties between different manufacturers ratings and personal experience, But to go back to the requests directed at Mr Moon, ie 'can you increase Dwell and speed' I'm sure he would like to tell you he can.... but that would also suggest that if he made a blade with less speed, it would have less dwell, if not why not? there is always a correlation between speed and dwell.
The Older I get, The better I was.
Sponsored Links

anubhav1984 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anubhav1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2009 at 6:32am
Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

Well no I don't want to oppose your view, its yours. I always stand by my principles though as explained above. It is easy to compare a blade with another make/style and make judgements about performance, which is a quite valid thing to do. If however you take one blade of your choice, and rate the three components of previously mentioned performance (Speed/dwell/touch) against the different modes of production (all-, all+, OFF, OFF+ ) you will see my point. Dwell/touch, NEVER increase in line with speed. That is not so suggest that there is not overlaps of these properties between different manufacturers ratings and personal experience, But to go back to the requests directed at Mr Moon, ie 'can you increase Dwell and speed' I'm sure he would like to tell you he can.... but that would also suggest that if he made a blade with less speed, it would have less dwell, if not why not? there is always a correlation between speed and dwell.

I just want a blade with the same dwell as that of Color Wink but with some more speed! Not too much to ask for is it?Tongue And yeah, i would never say that dwell increases linearly with the speed of the blade. It is just that there are certain blades from certain makers that have very good speed and amazing dwell. Big%20smile I just love that deadly combo. That is why i am liking my K-5 so much. But i still wished it to be a bit faster and have a bit more dwell than it has right now, which is much lower than Color.
Butterfly Viscaria FL
FH - Undecided
BH - Undecided
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2009 at 7:02am
Originally posted by anubhav1984 anubhav1984 wrote:

I am in partial agreement to what you say. And I am definitely not confused about the laws of physics.
People's perception kept aside, I believe, the speed of the blade has nothing to do with its dwell time. Period!

This is where we disagree, maybe your interperetation of 'dwell' is different to mine;

jossix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jossix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2009 at 8:19am
Originally posted by anubhav1984 anubhav1984 wrote:

I just want a blade with the same dwell as that of Color Wink but with some more speed! Not too much to ask for is it?Tongue And yeah, i would never say that dwell increases linearly with the speed of the blade. It is just that there are certain blades from certain makers that have very good speed and amazing dwell. Big%20smile I just love that deadly combo. That is why i am liking my K-5 so much. But i still wished it to be a bit faster and have a bit more dwell than it has right now, which is much lower than Color.
I thought you identified the amultart as that perfect magical blade that you are seeking -one that provides the  Karmic balance. get the  amultart already..should be no need to look any further. lol
Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2009 at 10:03am
Anubhav1984

The Color was developed from the Dexter and it was designed to create a better balance between spin and speed, for a different type of player; hence Nexy's comment about the Color being more harmonised, than the Dexter.

The Dexter is 6.8mm thick, using the same woods as the Color; however the thicker ayous centre ply and thinner Hinoki outer plies, means the Dexter is  stiffer and faster, with less dwell time, compared to the Color and is designed primarily for a player who is a hitter, blocker and smasher.

It will still be a good choice for mid distance looping and loop driving, but the lower dwell time means it won't be as easy to generate spin with, as the Color.

In contrast the Color is 6.3mm thick, which makes it a fairly stiff blade, but with a bit of flex. The construction has also changed with thicker Hinoki plies, which play a more prominent role, than the thinner outer plies of the Dexter and it has a thinner Ayous centre ply, too.

Hinoki has a soft feel when playing slow shots and some spring, which gives the blade a lively feel when you hit harder. It's the thicker Hinoki plies of the Color, in combination with the Spruce inner plies and Ayous core, that gives this blade better dwell time, than the Dexter and most blades in it's speed class, too.

The Color is an offensive minus blade, with very good dwell time and designed for the allround/offensive player, who wants a versatile blade, to outwit their opponents with variations of speed, spin and placement.

Regarding changing the Color to have "more dwell and speed", I disagree with you on that one, because Nexy made a number of prototypes, that were tested over 18 months, to find the right balance between Speed/ Dwell/touch and in my opinion he has achieved that.

The attention to detail in the research and development stage, have produced a blade that felt right, from the first few minutes of playing with it and will appeal to a wide range of players.

I used one word in my review of the Color, to describe what I think makes this blade stand out, which was Synergy, i.e. "the whole is greater, than the sum of the parts".

APW46 is also referring to synergy, when he wrote "it is possible to get the balance of Speed/Dwell/touch just right from the perception of some players, and the most successful blades, get this feel right for more players than the less successful blades."

p.s. I haven't actually played with the Dexter, but through my correspondence with Nexy and my experience with other wooden blades around 6.8mm thick, like the Clipper Wood and Mazunov, as well Hinoki blades like the ishlion, Color and Oscar, I have a rough idea of how I would expect this blade to play.

Jolan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jolan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2009 at 10:19am
yeah, I ended to the same conclusion. If I want a faster combo with "color", i'll just have to stick some faster rubbers than my xtend. I should be fixed by sunday when I'll try it with a max thickness rubber. The blade is just perfect as it is. No need for modification.
Joola Wyzaryz Freeze
Vega pro 2.0mm
Vega intro 2.0mm
Blade collection : https://photos.app.goo.gl/PrgCu5ib5RnhVXTn9
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anubhav1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2009 at 10:24am
Peter C

I totally agree with you. I also believe that Color is destined to be a LEGEND. It will be counted with the likes of Allround Classic, OC and et al.

But for me it is the inherent need for speed that drives me to believe that a blade with a faster speed and exact same dwell can be made.

For Nexy it is like taking up a challenge. I guess he wanted to develop something in the OFF- category when he set out to make Color.
If he wants, i believe, he should be able to create something exactly same as to what i am referring to. A more faster Color!

Butterfly Viscaria FL
FH - Undecided
BH - Undecided
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anubhav1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2009 at 10:31am
I guess people are thinking that i want some kind of modification in Color.
That is definitely not the case.
All i want is, another blade to be made, with a bit faster speed.
I feel Color will find its entry in the Hall of Fame book for sure.

Butterfly Viscaria FL
FH - Undecided
BH - Undecided
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2009 at 12:37pm
Let me add a bit to this interesting discussion.

1) First off, I again concur that Color is an extremely well designed blade. One thing that stands out (and Mr. Moon mentioned that he specifically spent a lot of time on that) is its overall weight balance. My Color is 93 grams heavy but it feels to me lighter (no kidding) than my 88 g V-6 and my 86 g Darker.

2. Now about dwell against speed. Generally some of you are right when saying that when speed goes up, dwell goes down. But that is only true when we are talking about all other things being equal. They don't have to be - blades can be made of different materials, using composites, different number of plies with different flexibility etc. So it is not illogical to have a blade X which is both faster and dwellier than blade Y. As an example, let's say blade Y is made of one rather thin (8 mm) ply of Koto wood. Then it will be slow (thin!) and inflexible with bad dwell time since Koto is relatively hard. Now take X to be Color or Btfy Viscaria - they are both faster than blade Y and certainly have more dwell time due to their flexibility and also because of the relative softness of their outer plies.

Anubhav - if all you require from Color is some extra speed then all you really need is to provide it yourself. That's the best way to go. "Color" is certainly at least an OFF- blade (I don't feel it being ALL+) and I don't think Nexy should push it up the speed ladder - then it will become a different blade with a slightly different balance etc. No need for that - OFF- is an extremely popular class of blades and Color will be well positioned there.

3. Finally - a very important marketing note Smile

Since this is an extremely new blade on a new brand I should say this and I hope that Mr.Moon will be reading me - I advise you to change the name. Color is too generic a word. All your other blades - Hannibal, Sahara, Dexter, Ikarus, Oscar - have very special, unique names. But "Color" is too bland... and if we are correct here and Nexy will have the classic blade and extremely popular item in it, then you really need to think of a special name so that the people will have no problem talking about it and naming without confusing word "color" and name "Color".

Perhaps you could have a quick naming contest in your company and among us testers here.

I propose two names: Harmony (if you don't mind a feminine name) and Gautama (calmness of mind and overall balance are cornerstones of Buddha). Maybe I will come up with some better names later.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2009 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by Peter C Peter C wrote:

APW46 is also referring to synergy, when he wrote "it is possible to get the balance of Speed/Dwell/touch just right from the perception of some players, and the most successful blades, get this feel right for more players than the less successful blades."

Thanks PeterSmile
Heimdallalso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimdallalso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2009 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

- I advise you to change the name. Color is too generic a word. All your other blades - Hannibal, Sahara, Dexter, Ikarus, Oscar - have very special, unique names. But "Color" is too bland... and if we are correct here and Nexy will have the classic blade and extremely popular item in it, then you really need to think of a special name so that the people will have no problem talking about it and naming without confusing word "color" and name "Color".

Perhaps you could have a quick naming contest in your company and among us testers here.

I vote
Color
NEXY Lissom st 85g
fh/ Andro Impuls Speed max
bh/ Palio Flying Dragon 1.8
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2009 at 2:58pm
I honestly don't mean to be facetious, But is 'color' a miss spelling of Colour? ( given the colourful splash of artwork on the blade)
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2009 at 3:02pm

I honestly don't mean to be facetious, But is 'color' a miss spelling of Colour? ( given the colourful splash of artwork on the blade)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color
it can be spelled both ways.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2009 at 3:05pm
Color sounds good. That way when Mr. Moon is ready to release a faster version he will call it "Full Color" or "Color Full" as a pun with "Colorful"; but we are not there yet.
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2009 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

Color is simply an americanized version of Colour. Same as with neighbo(u)r, behavio(u)r, flavo(u)r etc. We aim to simplify! Wink

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2009 at 3:08pm

Color sounds good. That way when Mr. Moon is ready to release a faster version he will call it "Full Color" or "Color Full" as a pun with "Colorful"; but we are not there yet.

I dunno. This name is so different from all the other names in Nexy lineup - others are memorable and unique. This one isn't and it's too common a word.

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2009 at 3:11pm
Coloray? Big%20smile
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2009 at 3:12pm

Color is simply an americanized version of Colour. Same as with neighbo(u)r, behavio(u)r, flavo(u)r etc. We aim to simplify! Wink

We have "amour" in French and Spanish people simplified it into "amor"; like love is anything simple Cry...

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2009 at 3:13pm
I would laugh at my boss asking "HEY FATT DO ME A FAVOUR".
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2009 at 4:09pm

Coloray? Big%20smile

Prismatic (like Kinetic from Andro) Tongue - all colo(u)rs in one rainbow.

Rainbow?

APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2009 at 4:46pm
Thanks guys, being from England, I was brought up with classical English, I know everyone else has added their own quirks. But English is derived from so many different languages, we confuse ourselves at timesLOL
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2009 at 5:04pm
When you guys started spreading it all over the world, you should have realized nothing good could come out of that Wink

APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2009 at 5:25pm

When you guys started spreading it all over the world, you should have realized nothing good could come out of that Wink

Heh, I'm starting to like you more Jim....
Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2009 at 6:04pm
We don't need to go abroad, to get confused as some English people are more than capable of doing that all by themselves.

I remember my step grandmother, who came from Stoke; leaving me totally confused, on one occasion.

We'd finished dinner and she asked "where are the muffins?"

To which I replied, "what do you want muffins for, we're going to have cakes."

"Yes, I'm looking for are the muffins?"

At this point, I'm confused why she wants muffins; when we are going to have cakes.

"Yes Muffins, Muffins; you know, as in side plates"

At which point the penny dropped, "Oh, the side plates are in that cupboard".

Unbeknown to me, muffins is the word used in the Pottery factories in Stoke, to describe side plates, whereas my initial thought was "What a strange woman, what does she want crumpets for?"

APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2009 at 6:19pm
Lets not go into the raging argument in my family... Pycletts or crumpets? Midlands people call the Pycletts, northern, Crumpets... We spend most of Christmas day arguing about it...
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2009 at 6:22pm
Guys!!! ... remember the Color blade? which we are supposedly discussing here in this thread? Unhappy

Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2009 at 6:30pm
Don't worry Jim, we haven't forgotten, just sharing a bit of banter.

By the way, did you say you had Outlaw and Wraith on the Color?
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2009 at 6:34pm
Yep - Outlaw 2.2 FH, Wraith 2.2 BH

Jolan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jolan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2009 at 6:38pm
Played it again tonite ! Yummy....You can call it dwell time, but I know there's something more than that in that blade. It could become the reference in OFF- blade. The control is insane, pleasure and feel are there too. I've promised to my EJ mate sending it to him next week, my heart already starts bleeding in anticipation. What a shock ! It is soooooo good !
Nexy, you def got something there. Congrats !
Joola Wyzaryz Freeze
Vega pro 2.0mm
Vega intro 2.0mm
Blade collection : https://photos.app.goo.gl/PrgCu5ib5RnhVXTn9
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2009 at 6:56pm
I'm gonna say this now. I have had a few pm's with moderators.
I really think that Mr moon has come up with a truly remarkable blade that offers a real benefit to many players. I cannot go along with reviews that show a clear biased towards this product through the gratitude of the recipients of the free blades, Its just crass, no one feels that they can critisise the blades in any way because they have recieved them in liew of a positive review. This is silly, wrong and not representing a clear review of members/players who wish to buy this product. It as if these blades are the best ever, they are not, they are really good, I like the one I have, but there are many similar blades worse and better on the market. For goodness sake, lets stop the patronising rubbish, and review Mr Moon's blades in the real context they deserve. Stop this 'WOW' stuff, these blades are good, quality, well made, they can stand up along side many blades of the major manufacturers, but please, please, spare the the patronising.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 10>
  Share Topic