Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Paddle Palace Raitings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
e1itepirate View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote e1itepirate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Paddle Palace Raitings
    Posted: 12/14/2009 at 12:27pm
Do you think paddle palace's ratings are correct? They list Tenergy 25 as being faster then Tenergy 64 when butterfly says tenergy 64 is the fastest. When you compare their ratings to the manufacturer's they never match up. For example Nittaku lists naurcross ex hard as 12.2 speed and 10.8 spin; ex soft as 11.8 speed and 11.2 spin; and nodias as 10 speed and 10 spin. However paddle palace lists nodias as being faster then naurcross ex soft and just as spinny as ex hard. This is really making my life difficult in choosing my backhand rubber. I want a rubber good for blocking and counterhitting but I cant tell if naurcross ex hard is too fast for me, or nodias is going to be too spinny for me.
Sponsored Links

the-mezz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the-mezz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2009 at 12:38pm
Yeah I actually had a similar experience buying from them. I learned the hard way that Juic 999 Elite is indeed NOT fast at all and incredibly soft, I took it off after two days of use.

I'd go with the manufacturers ratings, and try looking at another website.
Offensive CR WRB
H3 Neo 2.1
Gambler Aces PRO 2.15
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2009 at 2:16pm
They (PP) claim they make their own ratings by testing the rubbers but I bet they don't test a hundred rubbers and then write down the average. taht's one thing that affects the veracity of their ratings. But quite often manufacturer's ratings are also a bunch of junk...
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
Jonan View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2009 at 6:17pm
Yeah, some seem really off and really biased, especially newer, expensive products. Like Aircondle being 9.8 speed and 9.2 spin, it does not have much spin at all compared to other rubbers, and it certainly isnt the fastest thing in the world which 9.8 would make it. Also Jo Platin soft, 9.5 speed and 9.7 spin and 7.4 control...I like the stuff, and it's good, but its not perfect, not that controled or that much spin I feel.
Anton Chigurh View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2009 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by e1itepirate e1itepirate wrote:

Do you think paddle palace's ratings are correct? They list Tenergy 25 as being faster then Tenergy 64 when butterfly says tenergy 64 is the fastest. When you compare their ratings to the manufacturer's they never match up. For example Nittaku lists naurcross ex hard as 12.2 speed and 10.8 spin; ex soft as 11.8 speed and 11.2 spin; and nodias as 10 speed and 10 spin. However paddle palace lists nodias as being faster then naurcross ex soft and just as spinny as ex hard. This is really making my life difficult in choosing my backhand rubber. I want a rubber good for blocking and counterhitting but I cant tell if naurcross ex hard is too fast for me, or nodias is going to be too spinny for me.

The PP ratings are odd, but setting those aside to address your rubber concern:

In my experience, the Nittaku Narucross EX Hard is an excellent rubber for blocking and counter-hitting. I used it myself for a long time, before I switched to Chinese rubbers. The only complaint I have with it is the top sheet falls apart rather quickly. I would play 5-7 days a week, 2-4 hours a day and my top sheet would start to fall apart after about a month. It was still usable, but it would really start to look like crap. I feel like I take good care of my rubber (clean it after every session, keep it covered, etc) but it still fell apart a bit too quickly for me (especially when at the time it was $40/sheet).

But performance-wise, I have no complaints.

EDIT: Three other people in my club use it as well. Two people, one a blocker and the other a counter-hitter, use it on their forehands, and another, a C-pen fast attacker, uses it on his backhand. They all think very highly of it
Neo H3 40D| Offensive S | Tenergy 80
ChopSmash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChopSmash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2009 at 8:33pm
I rarely agree with the *rubber* ratings from PP. But, then I don't tend to agree with most of the rubber ratings from any retailer. And, I've found no way to compare ratings between manufacturers. However, I do tend to agree with most of the *blade* ratings from PP, and many other sources. Well, at least I agree with the *speed* ratings. The *control* ratings are difficult to judge.
Dawei Genote S
FH Nittaku Hammond Pro β
BH Yasaka Mark V
Thaidog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2009 at 9:55pm
PP ratings used to be in the ballpark but now with all these bulit-in speed glue effect rubbers they are all getting screwed up... especially the spin ratings. These new rubbers may produce that kind of spin with full strokes but not with pushes and serves.

I think they should start adding what type of rubber it is eg tacky chinese style or Tensor ESN rubber. I would even like friction coefficients for all topsheets and degree sponge densities.
Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

Tenergy 64 FX National 2.1mm

He never boosts... of course he never had to...
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2009 at 12:50am
Originally posted by Thaidog Thaidog wrote:

PP ratings used to be in the ballpark

Yep. In the mid 90's.

The problem with trying to class speed, spin or control with a single number is that it's doesn't even begin to accurately describe a rubber.

-Some rubbers are only fast with full strokes (like DHS H2).
-Some rubbers are fast with passive strokes (Donic F2) but you can bottom them out with full strokes and produce SLOWER shots than firmer sponge rubbers with the same swing speed.

-Some rubbers produce massive spin with the topsheet but little spin on hard hits.
-Some rubbers produce massive spin with the sponge, but very little spin on brushing contact.

-Some rubbers produce a good spin on some strokes (pushes, blocks) but not much on others (loops, drives)... And you could argue that it's somewhat technique dependent and you'd be right.

The bottom line is that trying to sum up the behaviors of a topsheet and sponge with a number between 1 and 10 is a bit of a joke.

If the ITTF wanted to exert better control on the sport, they could sanction a third party to create a more objective ratings system for rubber properties - including comprehensive mechanical tests of the rubber's behaviors (like the old vs. new gambler outlaw video that those wonderful brits did).

As a consumer, wouldn't you just kill for an accurate performance/rating system for rubbers?
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic