Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chinese forehand Vs. Euro forehand?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 16>
Author
qynthnghm View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qynthnghm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2011 at 2:31am
I, personally, prefer my American forehand.
Sponsored Links

icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2011 at 11:15am
Originally posted by AnthonyTT AnthonyTT wrote:

I noticed that the Europeans tend to have more of a bent elbow while the Chinese a more full swing without the elbow bent what so ever. My question to the people of the forums is whats your style? I notice more tend to play the European style or at least in my area. It seems the Chinese stroke tends to have more spin, speed, and power while the European stroke tends to be easier placement and consistency. Thoughts, opinions, which way you use and WHY. Appreciate it guys, thanks.

If you take the time to read this whole monster thread, you'll get everything you are looking for :)
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
AVarun View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AVarun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2011 at 4:01pm

Forget, for a second, the Euro vs Chinese forehand stroke issue ;-), there's different advice offered even within the same general type of stroke! 

One fellow says contact the ball at the tip of the racket, while another points to the middle or near bottom of the blade as the correct contact area. The first one says more spin is generated at the tip of the blade, while the second claims that as long as you brush and finish the stroke in the right way, you'll obtain sufficient spin.  Both though, want you to finish the stroke the same way, up and foreward like a salute, or toward the left earlobe( for righthanders).They are also agreed that the racket angle should be a little closed. And then along comes a Chinese coach who tells you to keep the racket flat as you loop the ball.  So we are back on topic.

Guy Fleegman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guy Fleegman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2011 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by nicefrog nicefrog wrote:

I agree with APW46, if you took two kids and gave one of them two sheets of original 729 and the other Sriver. Left un coached and told to learn how to loop they would both end up with respective Chinese and European styles no matter what race or height the kids were.

Firstly, if they were left alone to play in a basement with no contact to proper table tennis then I'd suspect they'd develop neither.

If in a club then they'd be strongly influenced by those around them.

Therefore, the only thing we could do is look at the game now. If we started from scratch, would be end up with the two? Probably, but rules might have some influence.

But what about Kreanga's style? That's not Euro or Chinese. Hungarian or something? I've forgotten.
cls2222 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cls2222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2011 at 12:51am
Originally posted by Guy Fleegman Guy Fleegman wrote:

Originally posted by nicefrog nicefrog wrote:

I agree with APW46, if you took two kids and gave one of them two sheets of original 729 and the other Sriver. Left un coached and told to learn how to loop they would both end up with respective Chinese and European styles no matter what race or height the kids were.

Firstly, if they were left alone to play in a basement with no contact to proper table tennis then I'd suspect they'd develop neither.

If in a club then they'd be strongly influenced by those around them.

Therefore, the only thing we could do is look at the game now. If we started from scratch, would be end up with the two? Probably, but rules might have some influence.

But what about Kreanga's style? That's not Euro or Chinese. Hungarian or something? I've forgotten.

I would say Kreanga's style is an old European style, like Grubba, Gergely, etc. Roskopf was like the pioneer of the "modern" European style.
Korbel
Stiga Boost TX   

qbp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qbp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2011 at 5:35pm
The following article may be interesting to read

http://people.math.gatech.edu/~yingjie/loop.html
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2011 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by qbp qbp wrote:

The following article may be interesting to read

http://people.math.gatech.edu/~yingjie/loop.html
I don't quite understand the stick analogy... 
tomibraniste View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomibraniste Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2011 at 4:41am
sorry i can t access your link
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2011 at 11:01am
Originally posted by tomibraniste tomibraniste wrote:

sorry i can t access your link
can you now?
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2011 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by AVarun AVarun wrote:

One fellow says contact the ball at the tip of the racket, while another points to the middle or near bottom of the blade as the correct contact area. The first one says more spin is generated at the tip of the blade, while the second claims that as long as you brush and finish the stroke in the right way, you'll obtain sufficient spin.
Hitting the ball closer to the tip of the paddle may generate speed but it could also lose speed because the ball is not hit with the sweet spot. The hitting near the bottom of the paddle advice is pure nonsense.  I have heard that before.  I can see no basis for it from a physics stand point.  I am not am not good enough to determine exactly where on the paddle the ball will hit so I try to hit the ball in the center.  The difference between the center of the paddle and closer to the edge is perhaps a couple of inches which is only 5% of the total distance from my shoulder to the tip of the paddle.  At most one would get %5 more speed or spin.  There have been other threads that show how the COR changes along the length of the paddle.  If the COR drops by %5 there is nothing to be gained. I am more concerned with the attitude of the paddle and the angle and speed of the swing.

And then along comes a Chinese coach who tells you to keep the racket flat as you loop the ball.
As in horizontal or closed 90 degrees?  That can't possibly work because the normal force would be down and the ball will go into the net or table. If you mean neutral or vertical, that will work most of the time but it isn't optimal.   I think most of us close the paddle 30 to 45 degrees when looping and maybe more when brush looping and less when looping backspin.  Either this Chinese coach was in error or he was misunderstood.

ityw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ityw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2011 at 10:05pm
china of course
looper123 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote looper123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2011 at 8:54am
for years ive tried european rubbers from stiga, butterfly tibhar and i had a world of trouble with my forehand....my friends who are over 2400 american rating, kept telling me to use the european like rubbers...but never got where i wanted to be...recently ive changed to a  chinese rubber..what a difference has made so far....your form must be very accurate to play with a chinese rubber especially when attacking...ive gone from 1800, to a 2100...big improvement...u have to find your style which i believe is alot of ppls problem....find a style, see what suits you and then practice it...im all about form so the chinese rubbers are perfect especially for close to the table play.....and remember table tennis is all about timing....if u find your timing u found your rubber...
yangyang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yangyang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2011 at 3:38am
I love China.

vali View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2011 at 4:12am
Originally posted by Guy Fleegman Guy Fleegman wrote:

Actually I did it by applying the upper-hook move from boxing. It appears natural to me. And that looks alike the Chinese style of topspin. 
Clipper
FH: XIOM Vega Asia , max
BH: Yasaka RAKZA7, 2.0
singody View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote singody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/11/2011 at 5:59pm
But the basic principles are similar between them.
Handmade ZLC.
厌倦源于过度求新,满足来自用心重复。

My Feedback:
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=41593&title=feedback-singody
dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2011 at 8:28am
Originally posted by pnachtwey pnachtwey wrote:

Hitting the ball closer to the tip of the paddle may generate speed but it could also lose speed because the ball is not hit with the sweet spot. The hitting near the bottom of the paddle advice is pure nonsense.  I have heard that before.  I can see no basis for it from a physics stand point.  I am not am not good enough to determine exactly where on the paddle the ball will hit so I try to hit the ball in the center.  The difference between the center of the paddle and closer to the edge is perhaps a couple of inches which is only 5% of the total distance from my shoulder to the tip of the paddle.  At most one would get %5 more speed or spin.  There have been other threads that show how the COR changes along the length of the paddle.  If the COR drops by %5 there is nothing to be gained. I am more concerned with the attitude of the paddle and the angle and speed of the swing.

As in horizontal or closed 90 degrees?  That can't possibly work because the normal force would be down and the ball will go into the net or table. If you mean neutral or vertical, that will work most of the time but it isn't optimal.   I think most of us close the paddle 30 to 45 degrees when looping and maybe more when brush looping and less when looping backspin.  Either this Chinese coach was in error or he was misunderstood.

The two quotes are actually related.  First, regarding the open/closed paddle, that's one of the fundamental differences between the European loop and the Chinese loop.  However, unlike what many people think, it's not the degree of tilt that matters.  In the Chinese loop, the angle of tilt is kept relatively the same whether you're looping a high arching top spin or a low backspin that barely clears the net.  What changes in a Chinese loop is the motion of the arm--obviously going more down to up for looping backspins and more back to front for looping topspins.  Thus, for all Chinese loops, the swing up to the point right before contact is as if you're trying to smash the ball to a point about 6 inches above the net.  This is where the second fundamental difference comes in.

First, for your other point regarding where to contact the ball, this is related to another of the fundamental differences between the European loop and the Chinese loop. After reading my first paragraph, you might wonder how the Chinese loop could land its shot despite keeping the tilt of the paddle the same.  This is due to the different wrist movement when looping.  In the European loop, the wrist moves in the same direction as the arm, just to add that extra little spin.  This wrist movement makes a somewhat small difference compared to the power and speed of the arm movement, so the contact point makes little difference.

In the Chinese loop, however, the angle of tilt NEEDS to change RAPIDLY, RIGHT before contacting the ball.  The bat goes from being fairly open to completely closed, ending in the signature "salute" look.  This wrist movement is absolutely critical for the Chinese loop.  Without this wrist movement, every single Chinese loop would go straight up into the air because of the front to back movement of the arm combined with the constantly open tilt of the bat.  The arm adjusts a little bit as well in a similar motion to the wrist, but due to the heaviness of the arm, the effect is much smaller.  Secondly, this wrist movement also imparts heavy spin onto the ball by converting some of the forward momentum into spin.  This is when the contact point comes into play.

Because the wrist movement starts right before contacting the ball, and people's natural instinct is to aim at the ball with the center of the bat, the center will be the closest to the ball when the wrist movement begins.  Thus, if the contact point is at the center, there is very little time for the wrist to accelerate before contact is initiated.  However, if you contact the ball with the trailing edge of the bat, then you give the wrist more time to accelerate.  The result is that you add additional spin to the ball while sacrificing some speed.  This is very important in looping heavy backspins or balls that are below the table.  This is also more difficult to do, which is why you'll see many Chinese players use the European loop in those situations(Ma Long seems to be the best at doing this tho).  This point actually applies to all strokes that require rapid wrist movement, which is why serves and backhand flicks are the spinniest when you use the trailing edge of the bat.

To summarize, the secret of the Chinese loop is neither the open bat angle nor the brush stroke, but a COMBINATION of the two as it begins with an open bat and finishes with a brush stroke using rapid wrist rotation + right-left movement.  Thus, at contact, the bat is still quite open, so the ball launches off of it with high speed almost like a smash.  However, the quick wrist movement forces the trajectory of the ball more downward and imparts it with heavy spin.  This is what makes the Chinese loop both fast and spinny.

EDIT:  Just to add a little more, the "Chinese loop" is a power shot designed mostly for balls that are at least above the table.  The closer the ball is to the table, the higher it needs to be.  It also needs a fairly full swing, so when a player should use the Chinese loop depends on on how close the ball is to the table, how high it is, and how much time a player has to make the swing.  When the ball is lacking sufficiently in any or all of the areas, you'll see even Chinese pros use the European loop instead.  Also, I've never seen any Chinese national team player use the Chinese loop during warm ups, the shot is too powerful for that, so videos of their warm ups won't show anything.

Edited by dingyibvs - 05/14/2011 at 8:45am
racquetsforsale View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2011 at 3:43pm
I for one would be grateful if you can find some high speed slow motion footage illustrating the rapid change in blade angle prior to or during contact (from open to closed) of the Chinese player's looping stroke. I don't believe this actually happens, at least based on the few high speed footage I've seen.

I have seen the exact opposite of what you've describe though. In a video clip pnachtwey linked in another post, the one with the high speed video footage of a chopper and an attacking player, when the latter hits what appears to be a drive, the angle of his paddle is very closed during the backswing and during the initial third of the forward swing as well. The paddle then begins to open up prior to contact. The result is a driving stroke which still imparts toppsin to the ball because the swing path is still low to high.

Pnachtwey, have you noticed this?

Edited by racquetsforsale - 05/14/2011 at 3:44pm
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2011 at 3:52pm
I think dingyus is talking about the old chinese stroke. Like Kong Linghui stroke. Modern strokes barely change the angle of the racket. 
mercuur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercuur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2011 at 5:05pm
I saw it today in a slow motion but no idea where it was anymore. It was a shot on a high impact ball coming in whereyou could see how the player catched the ball with a more open bladeface and made an extreme wrapping angular motion over the ball to control it and convert spin and speed.
Speed (partly) to spin but also incoming spin (partly) to forward speed.
The latter it,s the spin that comes in that loads energy into the rubber when the bladeangle is more open and the ball is catched in. When this energy unloads and the ball leaves the rubber with a more closed angle the ball jumps of from the blade with added forward speed from the spin (instead of upward speed if the bladeangle wasn,t closed by the time the ball looses contact to the rubber).

What bladerotation does is also that the bladeparts (rubber) lower side at the blade decreases speed to the center of the blade.

Suppose you have a black spot size of a ball on the bottom side of the blade (nearer to where the pointerfingertip is at bh side) and a white spot marking the center.

If the centerpart of the blade( the blade as a whole) makes a linear forward motion to the ball but the bladeangle rotates shortly before contact (going on during the first part of contact) to a more closed angle this means the back dot looses some forward speed relative to the blade centerspot.

By the time (fraction of a second)  the ball leaves the bat and the rotation has allready stopped this means the forward speed for both dots is the same again.

So apparently as the black dot first lost forward speed to the linear speed it obvously has gained back this forward speed again only by stopping the bladerotation. Guess which loop wil be faster the one hit with the center or the one hit more towards the lower edge.

This would be a loop with a completely stretched arm. In practice the chinese players use the underarm last moment to add more upward tilt (and spin) or not, keep the bladeangle open more or not aso they have all sorts of options for each stroke to adjust last moment for control and for added energy. Chinese loop and european loop (or old school new school) are just stereotypes. In practice players use both combined ; a bit more of this or a bit more  of that dependant on the situation, ecquipment and between players. Even european players do.

Boll also uses this principle using fingerpressure. He contacts the ball in with the finger relaxed the blade automatical will rotate to a more closed angle if the ball is struck on the lower part. The ball impact makes the blade rotate and this builds pressure in his hand between finger and gripping part of his hand. He feels the contact better that way on his finger then if hit on the center also. His fh orientated grip helps a lot for this. The pressure with his pointerfinger is builded up by the impact of the ball not activ use of handmuscles so much but still tension for energytranfer and a change of bladeangle to build it up during contact.

Not all loopers may do this conscously but to have a good feel for the ball with shakehand fh (blade horizontal) more towards the tip of where the pointerfingertip is at bh is automatical where you make contact as the torcque between indexfinger and grippart of the hand is a big part of the feeling.

With penholdgrip the idea is even more pronounced due to the typical angle of the blade (and all fingers at the backside) to the underarm.

Edited by mercuur - 05/14/2011 at 5:13pm
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2011 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by racquetsforsale racquetsforsale wrote:

I for one would be grateful if you can find some high speed slow motion footage illustrating the rapid change in blade angle prior to or during contact (from open to closed) of the Chinese player's looping stroke. I don't believe this actually happens, at least based on the few high speed footage I've seen.
Neither do I.  Not at any significant rate of rotation anyway.

I have seen the exact opposite of what you've describe though. In a video clip pnachtwey linked in another post, the one with the high speed video footage of a chopper and an attacking player, when the latter hits what appears to be a drive, the angle of his paddle is very closed during the backswing and during the initial third of the forward swing as well. The paddle then begins to open up prior to contact. The result is a driving stroke which still imparts toppsin to the ball because the swing path is still low to high.

Yes, I think it is natural because the arm rotate around the shoulder so it is natural for the paddle to swing in an arc too.  I just don't think it is good to be changing the paddle angle like that because it makes the angle the ball is hit at very timing dependent.  If the impact occurs a few milliseconds earlier or a far milliseconds later the angle is completely different and the ball could go into the net or off the end of the table.  I bet that if you look closely you would see the paddle's attitude is pretty constant the few milliseconds before and after impact I try to keep my blade at the same attitude through out the stroke so the timing isn't critical.

As for this whole Chinese vs Euro forehand business,  if you play with the same paddle the attitude, rotation, direction and speed of the paddle must be the same at the moment of impact to get the same result.  The swing before or after impact doesn't affect the path of the ball.

There has been too much talk. There are accelerometer applications at the Apple application store that can be down loaded.  I wonder if an iPhone or iTouch update fast enough.

If I thought it was really important I would get an accelerometer and attach it to the back of a blade and have someone that claims to have a EU stroke swing the paddle and then to the same with some that claims to have a CN stroke and compare.  Then just for giggles I would see if all Chinese players play with the same CN stroke.  I bet not.

Accelerometers aren't too expensive.
and run the USB cable from a laptop up my back and down my arm the the accelerometer on the back of the paddle but then all you would get is my swing.  I could probably get others at the club to try too. Notice that the data can be recorded 1000 times a second or once every millisecond.  I bet you would see the acceleration change a bit during the 2 to four milliseconds the ball is in contact with the blade.  The data would have to be integrated once to get the velocity and again to get the position of the paddle every millisecond.

I would have to go back the link I found about jugglers to see how fast their hands accelerate so I would buy an accelerometer that could handle the range of accelerations.

With this information we could put an end to the speculation about EU and CN strokes etc.

dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2011 at 9:02pm

I can't find a good slow motion video, because more slow motion replays during games are from either in front or behind the player, but you really need to see it from the right side(for a right handed player) or the right-front side to fully appreciate the stroke.  However, there was a Chinese article explaining Ma Long's technique posted on many TT message boards including this one, and it's got some great pictures.  The relevant ones are these:

Ignore pictures 8 and 9, as they're part of the looping vs. underspin explanation.  The rest of the pictures are for "Forehand mid-distance counter-loop."  Notice how the stroke begins with an open racquet, but ends with it closed.  It's really more complicated than that as the wrist moves in all three axes of rotation, and the entire stroke varies widely depending on the incoming ball and the intentions of the player.

It's important to note again that the angle of tilt isn't the key difference, the key difference is the more forward rather than more upward movement of the arm, which is countered by both the wrist rotation and the sideway motion of the arm from before the contact to the follow through.

Also, as mercur pointed out, no player uses this move exclusively, and even less so a pure form of this move.  In a game, it's almost always a combination of the "European" loop and the "Chinese" loop, and that goes for both Chinese and European players.  If you wanna see a "pure" form of the Chinese loop, watch the XuXin/MaLong vs. MaLin/ChenQi match at the 23:33 mark.  Xu Xin executes a perfect one.  Then again, how often do you get a high, close to the table, topspin ball needed to execute this move in its pure form?  Well, maybe quite often for our level of play LOL but not for the pros!  Any deviation from the requirements would require more brushing, and the "Chinese" loop will look much more "European"!
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/15/2011 at 2:57am
Mercurr,

Too bad you can't find the video again. Is it just one instance of the stroke or a series of strokes. If it's just one shot, it could very well be the player is actually making a correction because the incoming shot has bounced higher or has more topspin than expected.

Dingyibvs,

The apparent change in blade angle is a result of the way most Chinese players execute the backswing or transition from the followthrough of the previous stroke into the backswing of the next stroke. They don't take the paddle straight back and down but along a downward curved path, similar to tracing the Nike swoosh logo, starting from the thin end. This curved path actually takes the paddle down and then up again before the forward swing. This is one reason why the Chinese forehand looks so fluid.

The important thing to note from those picture is, the paddle angle is established once the forward swing begins and the player does not change it proactively. Only after contact and the ball is long gone does the relaxation phase of the stroke take over and whatever the paddle angle is at that point is not important anymore.

Similarily, on the BH loop, some players turn their paddles perpendicular to the table at the end of the followthrough. There is a high speed slow motion clip of Kreanga executing one of his trademark BH loops that illustrates this. Note how the paddle does not begin to rotate towards the perpendicular until after contact.

Edited by racquetsforsale - 05/15/2011 at 3:00am
mercuur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercuur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/15/2011 at 3:58am
Closely before that at around 23.10 a few other loops that show it including a further from the table counterloop from Xu-xin (penhold players can use it more pronounced). The wrapping part I think is from an arm twist to the shoulder and elbow and the curving of the stroke from use and timing of different shouldermuscles.

To have an idea for the out of center hittingspot on the blade it can be simulated with a blade in hand, a fh orientated grip and putting pressure on different spots on the blade with the other hand to simulate ballimpact. Putting pressure in the center feels unstable and not natural. There is no feel with the indexfinger and/or in the hand. Bring it closer to the tip of the indexfinger towards the edge the torque brings tendsion between indexfinger and part of the hand that holds the grip.

Hit strongly forward with a semi closed/open blade angle and a relaxed hand with the indexfinger will bend backward to other parts of the hand and the ball impact can be used to build up tension in just as much a fraction of a second as ballcontacttime is a fraction of a second.

Offcourse the bladeangle reacts on this  also. Not much in terms of degrees (static) because the ballcontacttime is short but it becomes much more when expressed as anglechange/second (dynamic). For support and use of the rubberkatapult this is significant as it lengthens dwelltime compared with when the whole hand would be rigid.

dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/15/2011 at 7:38am

Mercurr,

Too bad you can't find the video again. Is it just one instance of the stroke or a series of strokes. If it's just one shot, it could very well be the player is actually making a correction because the incoming shot has bounced higher or has more topspin than expected.

Dingyibvs,

The apparent change in blade angle is a result of the way most Chinese players execute the backswing or transition from the followthrough of the previous stroke into the backswing of the next stroke. They don't take the paddle straight back and down but along a downward curved path, similar to tracing the Nike swoosh logo, starting from the thin end. This curved path actually takes the paddle down and then up again before the forward swing. This is one reason why the Chinese forehand looks so fluid.

The important thing to note from those picture is, the paddle angle is established once the forward swing begins and the player does not change it proactively. Only after contact and the ball is long gone does the relaxation phase of the stroke take over and whatever the paddle angle is at that point is not important anymore.

Similarily, on the BH loop, some players turn their paddles perpendicular to the table at the end of the followthrough. There is a high speed slow motion clip of Kreanga executing one of his trademark BH loops that illustrates this. Note how the paddle does not begin to rotate towards the perpendicular until after contact.

No, the paddle angle changes right as contact occurs, and proper follow through is critical.  Obviously, what happens after contact makes no difference to the ball, but proper follow through ensures a fluid and consistent motion as is the case with just about any sport.  The angle of the paddle is at ~45 degrees right before contact in Ma Long's picture, while it's almost completely closed after contact, and that's a key part of the Chinese loop.  In fact, the caption in picture 5 specifically states that you need to start closing the paddle and add spin to the shot.

With that said, you really need to experience it to know the difference.  I started playing without a coach, and like the people here, I couldn't find any good explanations for looping or good videos for it.  Thus, all I had to go with was videos of pros looping, and all I could see clearly was their starting and finishing racquet positions.  So with that, I began practicing by putting a TT Table up against a glass wall and start serving myself topspins.  I did that for at least an hour just about every night for many months, experimenting with literally dozens of racquet angles and wrist movements.  After many thousands of strokes, I eventually discovered that two strokes gave me the greatest consistency, speed, and spin.  Now, I had no idea what an European or a Chinese loop was, but apparently those two were the strokes I settled on.  I wanted to find out which one was the best kill shot, so I spent weeks training with alternating strokes.  One European loop, one Chinese loop, a few hundred times a day, and I discovered that the Chinese loop was the best for me.  This is very possibly because I was using a premade DHS X4002 racquet with the H3Neo on the FH side.  I had no idea what a Chinese rubber or an Eurojap rubber was either, so it was by sheer experimentation that I settled on the Chinese loop with a prototypical Chinese rubber.

Watching myself in the mirror, I can tell you this:  You are most certainly NOT going to appreciate the difference by watching the players loop.  The differences are subtle.  Well, the differences SEEM subtle.  The difference in the feeling in your palm as you strike the ball, however, is anything but.  I feel the ball MUCH more when I'm doing the Chinese loop, almost like I'm smashing it.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/15/2011 at 3:57pm
Dingyibvs,

I don't know if Ryu Seung Min incorporates blade rotation in his forehand but here's a match between him and Bastian Steger. It's a long match but with lots of super slow motion replay of Ryu's FH loop. If you have time, please take a look and identify the time of replays that demonstrate the blade rotation.

mercuur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercuur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/15/2011 at 4:31pm
At 23.10 for instance. The shot I meant was indeed a controlling shot where the player catched the ball in the sponge and all he did was wrap the blade. Offcourse this adapts the bladeangle for the trajectory but part of the control also comes from the way how spin and speed are fine tuned this way at the last moment. It adjusts the dwelltime to the rubbers time needed to katapult in a certain situation. Not always aiming to maximize dwell time but to get the right dwell adapted to the ball, rubber and blade.

The incoming spin also stretches the topsheet and as the blade was flipped (for the shot I meant) by the time the ball released to a closedangle part of that spinenergy transfers to speed andother part as counterspin and the bladerotation added some spin also.

The sudden change in bladeangle as for this stroke was an exaggerated example. But the principle of how the ball builds tension into the hand and to the arm by torque is essential for chinese loop . A player like wang liqin also has the blade more lengthwise to his underarm then upward and the wrist bend downward. That way even if he would contact the ball at the bladecenter it is not in line with the underarm. That puts torcque to his underarm and upperarm also and influence the bladeangle. The reason this is not uncontrolled (unstable blade) is due to the controlled tension from his side by his muscles and tendons, and an important role for the indexfinger.

For instance with a loop where the blade starts at 45 degrees let the ball in, the blade rotates to 40 or maybe even 35 degrees then build up tension (torque back) the angle rotates back to 45 degrees and the index finger now puts pressure to the ball. Same angle at the start and same at the end....No one sees it or it has to be in slow motion. Including the opponent who only has the trajetory of the ball to make uo what the spin speed ratio is. If the ballcontact would not rotate the blade counterwise first it's also impossible to use such fingerpressure for looping.

Hitting out of center (or use a tenaly blade) is not even necessary but sometimes focussing on it helps to get the feeling for the ball "hanging into the blade" and get a better torcque.

The long arm loop could have to do with this; The arm muscles can be more relaxed then on contact (only a slight tension to catch the ball in with control) and the torque from impact of the ball (due to the balls energy and the players forward energy) wll change the bladeangle more and sorta rotate the bladebackwards due to it and build up tension in the arm (torcque or twist). Not just the sponge catching the ball in, also the players relaxation catches the ball as a reversed accelleration within a forward stroke immediately followed by an increase of the accelleration when the tension builds up.

Difficult to explain but applying pressure to the fh side of a blade ( holding it as for a loop) with the other hand only little pressure is needed to press the blade backwards rotating it (including the hand) to the elbow and shoulder. From this twist of the arm the player can choose to counter it, torcqe back before the ball leaves the rubber this means added forward energy from indexfinger-pressure. Or not.

In the first case there won,t be a visible change of bladeangle as the angle changes only shortly and then goes back to the same angle.

The second case the bladeangle stays more closed over the ball. A player can vary in between these two extremes to determin the trajektory.

With a salut loop or using arm muscles too much the arm becomes less "torcqueflexible" I guess and this works to a much lesser extend then (but Bolls fh grip  allows bladetorcque and fingerpressure to counter it also).

Edited by mercuur - 05/15/2011 at 4:53pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/15/2011 at 5:13pm
Mercurr,

I can't find a slow mo replay @ 23min 10 seconds. Can you make sure that's the right spot? Thanks.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/15/2011 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by dingyibvs dingyibvs wrote:

In fact, the caption in picture 5 specifically states that you need to start closing the paddle and add spin to the shot.

Dingyibys,

I think it's more accurate to interpret the caption to say, "The blade angle is closed in order to address the incoming topspin." This is different from saying,  "Start closing the blade," which is not mentioned at all in the rest of the article. Look at the photos again, the blade angle has already been established in Photo 4.

Incidentally, the rest of the article describes exactly the curved path of the backswing I was talking about---how the forward swing does not actually start from the lowest point of the backswing.
dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/15/2011 at 9:48pm

Originally posted by dingyibvs dingyibvs wrote:

In fact, the caption in picture 5 specifically states that you need to start closing the paddle and add spin to the shot.

Dingyibys,

I think it's more accurate to interpret the caption to say, "The blade angle is closed in order to address the incoming topspin." This is different from saying,  "Start closing the blade," which is not mentioned at all in the rest of the article. Look at the photos again, the blade angle has already been established in Photo 4.

Incidentally, the rest of the article describes exactly the curved path of the backswing I was talking about---how the forward swing does not actually start from the lowest point of the backswing.

Yes, you're perfectly right, but you can see how the blade is more open at the start of the swing.  So you need to close the angle before contact.  I just watched myself in the mirror doing the swing, and it's apparent that the closing of the paddle doesn't seem nearly as obvious as it feels. It needs to be timed perfectly and it needs to happen over a VERY short period of time that my whole arm/forearm/shoulder strains to make that motion.  It's actually pretty interesting to me how the two motions seem so damn similar in the mirror.  But everything about it feels different(and the ball definitely come off differently).  In fact, when I swing the bat in the air, it even SOUNDS very different.  One sounds like I'm slicing through air, the other is much louder like I'm smashing through air.  Try it, when you're smashing through air it gives a very high pitched sound, and that's how a Chinese swing sounds like.

This whole discussion is very interesting to me.  As mentioned before, I never had the techniques explained to me, and I've never had to explain it to other people either, it was all from experience by trying out dozens of different techniques.  This has made me actually examine my techniques in detail.

Looking at my wrist motion right around contact, it seems far more complicated than just closing the angle.  In fact, it seems to me that the closing of the angle is achieved more by the arm, as the elbow rises up while keeping the hand lower.  The wrist motion actually seems like it externally rotates(the motion for opening the angle) a tiny bit, but crucially, it also flexes a decent amount and abducts(the wrist motion by an European looper) a decent amount as well.  The general feel is that the external rotation combined with the flexion gives the stroke an extra "smash" quality(and also the smash sound as the blade traverses through air), while the raising of the elbow, the depression of the hand, and the abduction of the wrist gives it spin and keeps the ball on the table.  A very strong European loop seems almost exactly the same, except the bat feels less open at contact, flexion and external rotation of the wrist doesn't occur, and the elbow doesn't have to be raised as much or moved as far ahead of your body.

NOTE: external/internal rotation is (palm pointing up or palm pointing down), adduction/abduction is (like when you're waving at someone), and flexion/extension is (like when you're slapping something)

Sorry for the long-winded explanation, but it's a very complex process, and each part, based on my experiences, is crucial for consistency, speed, and spin.  I feel like it's a hopeless endeavor to explain this technique over the internet, as it needs to be seen from multiple angles and experienced personally.
mercuur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercuur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2011 at 4:29am

Mercurr,

I can't find a slow mo replay @ 23min 10 seconds. Can you make sure that's the right spot? Thanks.

The slow motion follows afterwards Wink

Another thing to me for chinese loop (looping with chinese rubber) is the need to accellerate during contact. With japanese rubber I feel I can accellerate before contact and have the bat do the work then.

If I do that with chinese rubber the ballcontact is too short and because these rubbers have a slow katapult the result is a weak stroke (ball is slow) and seemingly no katapult because the bal disconnects too soon. But when I accellerate the blade during the contact I keep in contact longer and the throw from the topsheet gets higher. To be able to accellerate at contact I sorta need to hold in first as if bringing in a delay (compared with japanese rubbers). This delay comes from relaxation. ; keeping a supple relaxed arm and get energy from hips more then arm muscles to contact. A relaxed arm is initially softer (to the ball) at contact. Then accelleration needs to be explosive and the blade keeps contacting the ball while both accellerate instead of only the ball and the ball leaving the rubber premature as a result.
In a way the muscles first instance do the same as a sponge underneath a topsheet. That,s also minimal thing but 1,8 mm sponge or 2,0 does make a lot of difference.
An example for the feeling of delay is with old fashioned swing mills at fair,s. It had cars attached to  a rotating frame with a bearing. Being in a car you could pull it backward to the direction of rotation with a rope closer to the rotating frame. That,s the tension in the shoulder of the arm held back. When the rope was let lose the cars flew outward and accellerated to a much higher speed then the disk or when they would have been rigidly attached to it. That,s a different type of accelleration then the positive use of shouldermuscles or biceps to accellerate forward. A good loop I suppose combines both types of accelleration in one fluent action with a complex use of different muscles.

For the wrist and underarm the impact of the ball initially does the same as when the rope is pulled with the swing mill ; it shortly hits the blade back (it increases forward speed) this tensions the armmuscles and from that tension these muscles become active in an almost immediate reaction but as reaction to the ball not before contact. 

It,s also a way of how to look at "muscles". Are muscles for applying force only or is force just one aspect of muscles. I think the latter. Any muscle (and it,s opposite) has a basic tension that is not zero. Any impact increases this and then if the muscle is activated it adds to the tension and the result is energytranfer. But if the tension is build up allready before the contact (premature) the energytransfer only becomes less effective. For accellerating the blade the blade is constantly in the hand. That happens before contact offcourse but part of the accelleration needs to be during contact. The basic tension is always adapted to the ball. For instance if a tabletennisball would suddenly be 50 grams that would be a weird experience because the muscle tension is adapted to the normal weight for a ball. Or a tennisball that suddenly would be as heavy as a pingpong ball. In both cases the energy transfer is minimal due to the wrong muscle (body) tension to start with.
A tabletenisball is extremely light so it needs a lot of relaxation to have an optimal energytranfer.

offcourse there are lots of examples where ballcontact is very short and any active use of the muscles seems impossible. For acellerating a heavy blade. But the ball accellerates the blade ; even if it is little, it vibrates and the hand as well. this increases the tension in the arm just as well as a brainsignal would do. More or less similar as the elasticity of a rubber or blade.

Edited by mercuur - 05/16/2011 at 4:48am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 16>
  Share Topic