FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

NEXY review: Demian

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
thethinker View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thethinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NEXY review: Demian
    Posted: 01/29/2010 at 3:54pm
Here is my review of Nexy Demian MAX red. http://www.tak9.com/mall.php?cat=002001000&query=view&no=2556

Blade: Stiga Titanium Wood WRB
Rubbers: FH: Haifu BW2 BH: Nexy Demian MAX for testing
Demian speed: 6/10 about the speed of a slightly tuned H3.
Demian Control: 9/10
Demian sponge: medium feel, softer than Geospin Tacky and bouncier.
Demian weight: ?gr (no scale) average, not as heavy as Chinese.
style: close-to-table topspin play both wings. Occasional blocks and topspin defense at further distance.

Review: I was able to play Nexy Demian for 1hrs on my bh. The review of this rubber can be done fairly short because it is kinda like a provincial version of some of the friendship rubbers like Geospin Tacky. I have never gotten a sheet of Geospin that is like what I read from some of the post: "the most stickest", "can hold onto the ball for ten seconds", etc. Demian is like the sheets of Geospin that I got--it can hold onto the ball for a second or two but that's it. The surface is sticky but not as much as Hurricane. The sponge of Demian is softer than the dead Geospin Tacky white sponge (dead even after tunning), and the sponge has a tiny spring. Just that little softness and spring that allow enough dwell time for the rubber to work. This rubber is spinny enough and has enough gears for forehand, but I tried it on my backhand only. I am happy with it in most of the areas I tried, short game, blocks, topspin loops, topspin defense, chops, etc. The slow speed enable a very precise short game; The blocks are fantastic; each stroke has a lot of spin from both the topsheet and sponge. The loops are powerful and totally under control. I like slower (compared to Japanese) spinny Demian that allows me to topspin off the bounce, even when my opponent drives a ball at high speed I can still topspin off the bounce with Demian. Demian is a great rubber for most composite blades-- best on one that's a little soft. It is a rubber with gears. I have to observe it more when it is completely broken in.
Now I have put the rubber on my Iskandar, with H3 on bachand for rpb. That review will be later.

Sponsored Links

APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2010 at 5:55pm
I have received Demian also, I echo many of your comments, but I will give a full review after a few weeks, first impressions are for a tacky topsheet with softish sponge, Its trying hard to be what it wants to be....
The Older I get, The better I was.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2010 at 11:51am
I am done glueing my 2 Demian on the Sahara.
The Demian has a tacky topsheet that comes immediately alive with the smallest spin.
When bouncing the ball straight the bounce is only fair (will be faster after a few hours of playing I am sure). When playing around with spin (bouncing the ball 2 feet high with spin on the right then the left then on the right...) then the bounce gets much higher. The topsheet seems elastic and VERY tender.
I will play this afternoon for the first time with the Sahara and will abandon my beloved Photino for a few weeks. The Sahara is the kind of blade that is so beautiful it should not make my Photino jealous that I am cheating on her. 
OOPS! Dear Lord make my wife never read that nonsense. 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thethinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2010 at 3:37pm
I want to added that the sheet of Demian came in rather on the small size. This might be important if you are a defender using an overssized blade. I wanted to make a bigger cut to a sh and then to jpen, but the sheet isn't that big; L=165mm, W=170mm, not exactly square. The width don't need to be bigger than the length. If the numbers are switched then this might work better.
Nexy's attention to details is evident everywhere. There is even graphic inside the packaging (it says color is Nexy in color). Who is going to see that, you ask? Someone who opens up the package and takes the rubber out might see it for a split second.
Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2010 at 3:50pm
The first thing I noticed about Demian, was it looks like a quality rubber.

It's weight was heavier than I was expecting. The red sheet of 2mm Demian weighs 49 grams and the black sheet 51 grams, when cut for the Oscar. Therefore a total bat weight of 191 grams.

That means the two 2mm Demians are 10 grams heavier, than the two 2.15mm H3 Neo's I took off the Oscar and put on the Dexter.

As I was testing the bat against a good player, I asked him to try it too. That meant that I had two opinions, as well as allowing me to be on the receiving end, as another way of assessing it.

Demian felt slower than 2.15mm H3 Neo, on the Oscar. Initially I put it down to the H3 Neo getting faster when played in. I then remembered that the H3 Neo also felt faster when new as well.

Control seemed fine and there were no problems in the short game. Easier to control in the short game than Tenergy 64, but not in the same league speedwise or looping 3-4 feet off the table.

Neither of us felt the Oscar with 2mm Demian, was as dangerous to play against; as the Dexter, with 2.15mm H3 Neo. The reason being we both found it easier to generate spin, with the Dexter and H3 Neo.

It was most noticeable on loops, as the Oscar produced straighter loops, with less sidespin; whereas the Dexter had notably more sidespin, which meant you had to allow for the ball, kicking off the table, at a slightly different angle.

Against the Oscar with Demian, he didn't misread any loops and was able to counterloop or block them back.

After switching to the Dexter with H3 Neo, he started having a harder time returning some of the loops and when he used the Dexter with H3 Neo, I found out first hand, how much harder it was to play against.

At the end of the session, we both admitted we enjoyed playing more with the Dexter, with 2.15mm H3 Neo and he made the comment that it was also the bat best suited to my game, i.e. a looping game. He also mentioned he really liked the Dexter and it wouldn't surprise me, if he bought one; to replace his Butterfly VSG21-1000.

With regard to Demian, I will be testing the rubbers a lot more and the main review will not be done until they've been played in.

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2010 at 9:09pm
As with many other tacky rubbers one of the main questions here is: is it muffled during slow/mid-power shots? usually tacky rubbers all are, even the ones with new springy rubbers.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
Jolan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jolan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2010 at 4:21am
I played the Demians on Acoustic. Max Fh, 2.0 Bh.
I chose acoustic because I know it well and it's my lighter blade with 82g. When I unpacked the rubbers I noticed how heavy they were. 67 and 65gr uncut, 47gr cut. Heavier than my tenergy 64 !
Altogether with the blade, glue, tape, overgrip, I reach 181gr which is very reasonable.
At first, the rubber looks very nice, top sheet is very thin and very grippy (it can hold the ball 2-3 secs upsidedown! ) . Pips in are short, numerous and very close to each other. Rubber itself is hard, chineselike, orange.
First hits, I'll be honest, were disapointing. It's slow ! Even on acoustic which is an OFF blade, it felt dead. I was able to be very regular, not making any unprovoked mistake. What was nice is that I wasn't bothered with extra grippiness. In other words, incomming spin was easily controllable. When I was myself looping against block, we had a laugh with my partner. I immediately felt at ease and was able to do 10-15 loops in a row. Nice medium ark. The thing is that my loops were significantly slower than usual, therefore my partner could block them without any difficulty. I was myself getting exhausted trying to make winners when he kept having good time blocking me...
I realize it was first time and rubbers need time to break in. But still, fast euro/jap rubber players will have difficulties to adapt unless they heavily boost it...
My friend who usualy plays chinese rubbers tried it and liked it very much. I felt in his hand how this combo could be very dangerous. Suddenly he became much more consistant and he had a large wide smile on his face. He is a blocker and a hitter and I had hard time putting him into trouble.
Next time I'll put it on a faster and harder blade, we'll se what happen, or I'll boost it with paraffin. But before doing that, I want to give it a chance to break in. If not I can keep it on my acoustic and I'll use it againt kids in my club when I do training sessions to them. Many possibilities then...
Joola Wyzaryz Freeze
Vega pro 2.0mm
Vega intro 2.0mm
Blade collection : https://photos.app.goo.gl/PrgCu5ib5RnhVXTn9
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2010 at 5:29am
I played Demian Max Thickness Red Color on backhand of Color.
Yes it's heavy, on Color head size which is bigger than Acoustic, it become heavier. I haven't weight it, but probably around 48 gr or more.

The topsheet isn't shinny as normal japanese/euro rubber, looks like more like anti spin rubber or premade blade rubber.

The pips is very short, the sponge is very thick, about 2.4 mm in max thickness.

I use water to rinse the topsheet to get rid of the tackiness of the topsheet.

Then Try to hit a couple days ago for 1 session. Demian is suitable for Back Hand Rubber not suitable for Forehand Rubber. But It can't do powerfull backhand loops to win the point. It's good on receiving serve because this rubber doesn't react sensitively against incoming spin. My Back Hand loop gets more control, stay inside the table more often, but can't finish the point with powerful shot.

Blocking is very easy with this rubber, especially push block against loop. Easy to do change direction either straight or cross court.

Short game is better than japanese rubber and tensor rubber. This rubber has a low bounce if you hit slowly. Unlike tensor rubber, even you hit slow it will bounce high.
When you hit hard, demian can be fast, but not as fast as current japanese/tensor rubber.

The good point of this rubber is the control, The throw is medium. For Back hand I found it fits nicely on Color. Not blasting fast but not slow either.

Improvement: The weight, it's not suitable for head heavy blades. For Nexy Color ST handle is fine, but FL handle will become head heavy.

Andro Wanokiwami AO Offensive 83 gr
H3 National Orange 40 deg 2.2
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2010 at 8:34am
Jim T

Demian does have the muffled feel on slow and medium powered shots, you associate with new rubbers with a tacky topsheet and that's why I feel Demian needs to be fully played in, to bring out it's true speed and spin; before I can assess it's strengths and weaknesses.

And to be fair to Demian, it's a rubber I've never played with before yesterday; so I'll be learning how to use it more effectively over the next month or so; whereas I've been using H3 Neo regularly for nearly two months, on various blades, which makes a big difference; as I know what to expect from it.

I thought Demian played reasonably well on the Oscar and better than the 2.15mm H3 Neo did, when it was new. As such I think Demian will probably work better on this blade, when played in; than the 2.15mm H3 Neo.

anubhav1984 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anubhav1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2010 at 3:13am

Review of Nexy Demian MAX Black.

Blade: Nexy Color FL
Rubbers: FH: Mark V 2.2 mm Red BH: Nexy Demian MAX for testing
Demian speed: 7/10
Demian Control: 8.5/10
Demian sponge: Sponge feels hard though not as hard as Chinese rubbers. However, it is marked as a 45 deg sponge.
Demian weight: Medium Heavy
Style: close-to-table two winged looper. Occasional blocks and pushes. Primarily a 3rd ball attacker.

Review:
Appearance:- I got a black sheet of Demian. It had a very hard sticky plastic covering on top of it. It felt as if someone has glued that protective cover onto the topsheet. It felt real hard to separate. Finally on seperation, the first thing that i noticed was that the topsheet of the Demian that i had got was not tacky at all. It seemed very grippy but not tacky at all. It was somewhat similar to my IQUL here.

Sponge Feel:- Even the sponge looks remarkably similar to the Dawei IQUL 40 deg sponge. It felt almost same, density wise. However, in reality, they ought to be different for sure. IQUL's sponge has way more power than Demian.

Speed:- The speed of this rubber is not something to rave about. I would not rate this as a high speed rubber at all. Infact, at best, it can be called a rubber of Allround class.

Spin:- Again, nothing to rave about at all. The spin was good but thats just it. Nothing extraordinary out of the box kind of feeling here. Its reaction to incoming spin is pretty pretty low for sure. This makes it an easy choice for serve receiving. At high gears, this rubber does start spinning the ball pretty heavily. However, on slow speeds, the spin is not awesome. Please do keep in mind that when i talk about spin here i am comparing Demian to the likes of BW2 and Tenergy 05. The spin is decent otherwise.
It is supposed to be a T05 era rubber as per description.

Control:- Controlling fast loop kills is a piece of cake with this rubber. Receiving serves is also pretty easy. However, it does pose some problems at blocking heavy sidespin balls. This is due to the low throw angle that the rubber has.

Throw Angle:- The throw angle of this rubber is very low. It is lower than a Mark V for that matter. You should not even dare to compare it to a Tensor's throw angle. This is a bit of a problem for me as i like something with a higher throw angle on my BH. It allows for easy opening loops against weak serves.

Speed Glue Feel:- It does feel like having a very little glue feel. But mind you, it is very low glue feel.

Overall Feeling:- This rubber could have been a bit better in the speed and the throw angle department. I wish the throw angle was a bit on the higher side. It could have then easily become my BH rubber of choice. Even on Color it did not seem to give me adequate lift to loop a weak serve.

Butterfly Viscaria FL
FH - Undecided
BH - Undecided
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2010 at 3:36am
anubhav1984: good stuff man!!! I already made Demian a favorite for bh rubber and it seems you underline the fact it is good at it to setup your fh. That's the way I use Demian now.

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thethinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2010 at 3:25pm
That's a very clear and pretty review anubhav1984!
Jolan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jolan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2010 at 3:39pm
Demian on Nexy Oscar works better than on Acoustic, but, yes, it is still a bit slow and also heavy. There is a large field full of improvements ahead but it is a promising start. The same topsheet on a lighter and faster sponge might be very effective. Still, I believe this rubber might be liked as it is by a lot of players using chineselike equipment.
Joola Wyzaryz Freeze
Vega pro 2.0mm
Vega intro 2.0mm
Blade collection : https://photos.app.goo.gl/PrgCu5ib5RnhVXTn9
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thethinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2010 at 4:05pm
I figure all Mr Moon's stuff needs some time to play with. They require patient. The first impression is not kind here but it can only get better. I still like it for bh but will use it on fh on the Iskandar today.
anubhav1984 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anubhav1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2010 at 1:14am
Originally posted by thethinker thethinker wrote:

That's a very clear and pretty review anubhav1984!

Thanks a lot!! Big%20smile
Butterfly Viscaria FL
FH - Undecided
BH - Undecided
Nexy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nexy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/19/2010 at 1:00am
Dear all NEXY reviewers,

Thank you so much.

Some times, I think I'd better stay with your guys, not doing all these time consuming businesses around me.

Nexy is a source of my creativity, which makes me smile, some times drives me crazy over nights.

Recently, I received some letters from other countries asking how they could start Nexy business with me. My answer was very simple. Nexy is not only a hard-working business but also my enjoyable pass time.
So, I want to do Nexy business with some one who can enjoy Nexy.
I don't want to feel stressed at all with my Nexy, rather I'd like to enjoy meeting people who share the same joy with me.

From all the writings on this post, I can feel that you guys are enjoying my Nexy.
Demian is not very speedy, and as you might know, as a begginer, to create competitive rubber with a new brand is very very difficult.
So, I chose to go my own way, apart from all the main road, where most big brands are running on.

That's how Demian was born.

This rubber can not be cartegorised as sticky chinese, or as fast Japanese, or as high tension German rubber.

Actually, my Demian stands in the centre of all thses three categories.
I think you might be able to agree that my Demian is not possible to say what's the real character it has.

As a designer, I tried to make a very easy loop for a begginer, and make a powerful top spin for a high level player.
I don't think my Demian is possible to be chosen by professional players.
But I think this rubber is quite easy to learn how to make a good loop for a beginer.

These days, I think maybe I can try to do "factory tunning" with my Demian.
I'm not sure I can make it very soon...but I think it will be also very interesting test.

Any ways, I will try to come here more often. Please, keep writing, nexy reviewers.....!!Smile

Brand Manager of NEXY
wasita View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2010 at 10:12am
is it okay to use water glue on geo spin tacky?
is it tacky enough?
< id="gwProxy" ="">< ="jsCall;" id="jsProxy" ="">
wkwk
wasita View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2010 at 10:13am
what will happen if i use water glue on geo spin tacky?
is it good enough?
< id="gwProxy" ="">< ="jsCall;" id="jsProxy" ="">
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic