Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nastiest blade you may ever see.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jonan View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nastiest blade you may ever see.
    Posted: 02/10/2010 at 10:38pm

Beware, if you're opponents rubber looks like this, you are screwed. A guy at my old club uses this rubber, cooked in the sun until shiny and hard like glass. Worse than any anti or pips, just nasty, nasty stuff. A 60 year old guy who doesnt move used it and handily beat 1900+ rated players with it almost every time by blocks and chop blocks and other crap. Just...the nastiest thing to play against.

Also, it's black on the other side, so it's black and brown...with screws in it...
Sponsored Links

bumpernets19 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumpernets19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2010 at 12:19am
i wouldn't touch that with a 39 & 1/2 ft. pole
Rating: 1232
Xiom Zetro Quad
Hurricane 3 FH
Hexer + BH
walleyeguy7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote walleyeguy7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2010 at 12:38am
good thing its illegal or we would all be in trouble
Thaidog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2010 at 1:04am
Have fun trying to peel those rubbers off...
Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

Tenergy 64 FX National 2.1mm

He never boosts... of course he never had to...
dauntless View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dauntless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2010 at 3:29am
Originally posted by bumpernets19 bumpernets19 wrote:

i wouldn't touch that with a 39 & 1/2 ft. pole

You're a mean one, Mr. Grinch. You really...are... a heel!
1. BTY Primorac, Nittaku H3N, T64 2. BTY Primorac, H3N, Mendo MP Feedback
popperlocker View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popperlocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2010 at 4:04am
that guy probably was a old school long pip user. i really don't think this blade improved the old mans game. you can get the same result from frictionless long pips
Jonan View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2010 at 4:11am
Originally posted by popperlocker popperlocker wrote:

that guy probably was a old school long pip user. i really don't think this blade improved the old mans game. you can get the same result from frictionless long pips

Yeah, he never used pips...he's just had this type of setup his whole playing career, he never played in tournaments. Apparently it happened by accident, left it in his car between coming to the club and it baked and then he just kinda went with it. People haaaaate it though, and the guy is just a pain in the ass, constantly talking smack the moment he walks in the place as loud as he can manage. People hate him, won't play singles with him, he just plays with the new guys until they get too sick of him. They stole his previous racket and just destroyed it I imagine, he had to get a new one, which the guy who runs the place made and gave to him for some reason, despite being the focus of much of his ragging, but he's a quality guy, Danny who runs the place.
Boss1703 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boss1703 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2010 at 4:26am

there are a lot of people playing with really old rubbers...

a lot of old mark V or sriver. i know also an old tony hold anti... also a guy with 2 tibhar supra...

it is illegal and you can do nothing about it because you are the bad guy when you claim that their rubbers are illegal...

i even play this year a guy with a curl p1 who try to make me believe that it was a p1r! and he has was a umpire!
https://www.facebook.com/pierrefiassemapageping

updated 20.11.10 http://bosscollection.skyrock.com

http://tennisdetablecomtests.skyrock.com

popperlocker View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popperlocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2010 at 5:14am
if you look at it in a different light, these people who use illegal stuff are actually very beneficial for you. playing a speed gluer is like playing with timo boll and playing an illegal pip user is like playing a joo se hyuk. you get super spinny pushes and loops and chops and weird balls
Jonan View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2010 at 6:08am

if you look at it in a different light, these people who use illegal stuff are actually very beneficial for you. playing a speed gluer is like playing with timo boll and playing an illegal pip user is like playing a joo se hyuk. you get super spinny pushes and loops and chops and weird balls

That's why you or your friend keep some illegal long pips or other weird setups like stupid fast combos, to train against, but playing one in a match is just frustrating. It's hard to learn when you're furious at the guy for cheating.

I think that's two things everyone needs to have to train against occasionally. One super nasty illegal setup and one setup that's just way too fast. So you can practice against the extremes, like training with weights.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2010 at 11:40am

I would love it if the guy came to my club!  I would benefit greatly from playing against him.  This is my worst nightmare...an old, experienced guy with glassy rubbers.  Unfortunately I never see them in practice and see nothing BUT them in tournaments.  Well, it feels like that sometimes.

Fun post, thanks jonan.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2010 at 2:08pm

I saw the title "Nastiest" and I thought you meant the racket was filthy.  I was gonna say there's a guy here that posted a pic of his J/K blade with black mold and stuff all over the cork.  It looked like a science experiment.  Now that was really nasty Smile

These "dead rubber" players are kinda fun to play with for me.  Here in MD (some of you probably know him), there's a guy who uses regular on the BH and dead rubber on the FH - and he attacks with it.  He has a really spinny BH loop and when you block it, he steps around to smash with the dead FH rubber.  Just dies in the net when you block it Smile Took me a few matches to figure him out.  Great exercise in spin recognition.

Note: after a few complaints, I think he switched to an Anti-spin on the FH rather than a dead rubber.
dual700 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dual700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2010 at 2:42pm
Nastier than my PF4-016? Wink

Had hard time removing the rubbers, went back to Indonesia, met Rokphish, he gave that blade + the dunlop to a guy who repairs blade.
2 days later, both blade were clean, like new. $4 for both..Clap
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2010 at 4:12pm
I lost to a guy exactly like that the last time I went to the old country - beat a few younger faster kids but this 60-yr old geezer with glassy old rubbers just pushed me around and hit it every time I raised the ball even an inch over the net level.

By the way, some of you on the East Coast probably played Rich DeWitt. He plays with similar setup - two Mark Vs which are both way past their prime. They are not 20-yr old of course but they might be half-way there, I suspect. Some traction there but not a lot - he plays quick and precise placement game, pushes, blocks and hits, with almost no spin at all, and he is rated around 2200.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2010 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by dual700 dual700 wrote:

Nastier than my PF4-016? Wink

Had hard time removing the rubbers, went back to Indonesia, met Rokphish, he gave that blade + the dunlop to a guy who repairs blade.
2 days later, both blade were clean, like new. $4 for both..Clap

Yours is pretty nasty, no doubt Smile But it looks like it's just the rubber that was really bad.  The blade is still good as evidenced by the restoration.  This one I'm talking about, it's a J/K blade.  The cork has black mildew and who knows what growing on it.  I wish I could find the picture in here.  I did a quick search for "mildew, mold, J/K, penhold" but I don't have time to do a more thorough search.  Maybe someone with better searching skills can help Confused I recall the owner saying it was his dad's.  It's gotta be seen again.
shaks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2010 at 8:24pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

By the way, some of you on the East Coast probably played Rich DeWitt. He plays with similar setup - two Mark Vs which are both way past their prime. They are not 20-yr old of course but they might be half-way there, I suspect. Some traction there but not a lot - he plays quick and precise placement game, pushes, blocks and hits, with almost no spin at all, and he is rated around 2200.

I also think he uses the same pair of shoes and socks that he used 10yrs ago..:p
~shaks
Usatt 2150

Thaidog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2010 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by Jonan Jonan wrote:

Yeah, he never used pips...he's just had this type of setup his whole playing career, he never played in tournaments. Apparently it happened by accident, left it in his car between coming to the club and it baked and then he just kinda went with it. People haaaaate it though, and the guy is just a pain in the ass, constantly talking smack the moment he walks in the place as loud as he can manage. People hate him, won't play singles with him, he just plays with the new guys until they get too sick of him. They stole his previous racket and just destroyed it I imagine, he had to get a new one, which the guy who runs the place made and gave to him for some reason, despite being the focus of much of his ragging, but he's a quality guy, Danny who runs the place.

Solution: I'll come to your club... wait for the guy to show up, pretend to be interested in the racket (Wow that's a classic! Can I see that blade sir?) I take it and run. Of course, next week when he walks in with another accidentally baked racket you could be back to square one...
Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

Jonan View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2010 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by Thaidog Thaidog wrote:

Solution: I'll come to your club... wait for the guy to show up, pretend to be interested in the racket (Wow that's a classic! Can I see that blade sir?) I take it and run. Of course, next week when he walks in with another accidentally baked racket you could be back to square one...

lol, luckily I moved recently, so I hopefully won't have to play around him again.
murrayblhrc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murrayblhrc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2010 at 10:25pm
toughest guys to play.......... half of hits are anti............the other half play like normal invert
Aquaman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2010 at 11:32pm
Originally posted by walleyeguy7 walleyeguy7 wrote:

I think it can be argued that there's nothing illegal about it.  The guy didn't modify, treat, or change it in any way.  It just got that way by itself--after 20 years.  Big%20smile
Blade: Stiga Allround Classic
FH: JOOLA Rhyzm 2.0
BH: JOOLA Rhyzm 425 2.0

Thaidog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2010 at 12:12am
Originally posted by Aquaman Aquaman wrote:

Originally posted by walleyeguy7 walleyeguy7 wrote:

I think it can be argued that there's nothing illegal about it.  The guy didn't modify, treat, or change it in any way.  It just got that way by itself--after 20 years.  Big%20smile

Yes but you're missing the idea that it did in fact "change" - probably even from it's first chemical composition.
Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

Aquaman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2010 at 1:16am
Yes, but the rule book never said anything about that.  It just said you can't modify it in anyway.  But he didn't.  He just left it there.  Hey, if you leave your rubber out for even a few seconds, it will change.  Sure, the change is so infinitestimal that you can't tell by naked eye, but you can be certain it changed.  Where in the rule book does it say how much change is too much, if you didn't do anything to it?

LOL
Blade: Stiga Allround Classic
FH: JOOLA Rhyzm 2.0
BH: JOOLA Rhyzm 425 2.0

Thaidog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2010 at 7:31pm
Look at it this way... I'm a long pips player and I accidentally leave my longpips bat out in the car under the window... now the long pips are melted, inconsistent and slick as hell. Should I be able to play with them?
Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic