Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ID this unknown Darker please

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
thethinker View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thethinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ID this unknown Darker please
    Posted: 02/11/2010 at 2:48pm
Hello. I recently bought a new old Darker from a Ebay seller, at a high price, because told me that it's one of his oldest racket even amongst his BTY Power Drive, BTY Tamaropa, Stiga Clipper, Stiga Metal Wood, Stiga Graphite Wood, etc. So it has to be at least 25yo. I took off the old rubbers and the blade is in mint condition, looks like never used. It plays fantastic with modern rubbers. I was shocked how good it plays the first time. It's about ALL+, very soft and lots of dwell time. Feel like an old Stiga AR (softer) with lots of control for loops, but also slightly stiff from the center for good blocking.
This is a 4w+C. The racket seems to be carbon at the center; it's a black layer. It has two outer layers of Hinoki, extremely good grain. The top ply runs along the racket vertically. The second layer goes horizontally across. There are two 1mm layer of wood on each side going from the end of the handle to where the rubber begins. The blade is about 6.8mm thick, a little more than average. From the handle's construction and my research, the blade seem to be hand made.
I am looking for name and information of this Darker blade. When I search for "Darker", "carbon", "center", I found only somehting about Cole's wife. Just kidding. I think it's a Darker center carbon. Please let me know if I am correct.

20100211_144356_Draker-1200.jpg

20100213_180058_darker4-1200.jpg
Sponsored Links

cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2010 at 3:35pm
That's certainly what my handle looks like, although I would be more comfortable identifying a side shot. 

The racket feels slow, but has a very distinct break into a high gear that is quite fast.  It takes a couple months to really get the feel of hitting that gear when you want and not hitting it when you don't.

In the end I decided I was blocking shots that I should be countering, because I was afraid of that high gear when the ball was coming hard at me.  It's great as long as you're in control of the point though.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2010 at 4:27pm
The Darker Center Carbon is a bizarre beast.

As cole describes, it doesn't know whether it is an ALL+ or a Squirrely OFF+ blade when you get the carbon to kick in.

Other blade manufactures (like Sitco) experimented with single carbon layers but eventually abandoned the design - instead favoring two plies (cross directional?) which added stability.
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thethinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2010 at 6:05pm
Cole, side shot added. Can you tell me more about this blade? Age, price, material, specs, etc.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thethinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2010 at 4:47pm
Again, anyone with some infomation of this blade is highly appreciated.
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2010 at 10:51pm
A buddy of mine bought one in the early 90's.  They were in the $100-120 range at paddle palace.  And I've played with it from time to time, and always found it "too fast" (the smash/loopkill gear). The blade ages well though, has seen tens of thousands of hours and is both more forgiving and more linear and predictible than it was when new.

As with most Darker woods - those were well made. With darker, I would guess some hinoki, but the top ply?

Cole might know, as he has a center carbon. I jokingly offer to buy it every few years (as a retirement gift for my buddy).
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thethinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2010 at 2:44pm
I didn't know Paddle Palace used to sell Darkers. Too bad they don't carry Darker anymore, or else I would get a lot of info. The top seem to be Hinoki as well. I wonder why the two layers are perpendicular instead of the traditional same direction. So far the center carbon hasn't caused any unwanted shots.
bleachfan92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bleachfan92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/17/2010 at 6:11am
this blade cannot be more than 20 years old. maybe you can take a picture of the back metal tag on the handle. if its the same as the current one than at the most its 10 years old. from the label and handle material i think its not that old but just a discontinued blade, if not then its a test blade.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thethinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2010 at 3:21pm
The metal logo is in the first pic. I am pretty sure that the age is correct because the seller is very reliable. He sold me other stuff that proved to be the real stuff.
penholdloop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penholdloop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/13/2010 at 8:16pm
I have blade just like this, Darker, carbon center (black line visible as the center ply). It was bought in 1999 - 2000.

It has a small label that reads B-X700.

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thethinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2010 at 4:51am
No label on mine and it was like new when I got it.
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2010 at 11:46am
The lens well looks a bit weird - as if someone has drilled it by some crude tools and then put a Darker lens in there. You are 100% sure this is a genuine Darker, right?
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2010 at 12:21pm
If it's a copy, it's a hell of a good one.  It looks exactly like mine.

They use a different wood for the handle than most.  IT's more porous and soaks up sweat great.  Almost has a pine-like quality.  I think it just doesn't cut real clean around the lens.

It's actually all hinoki, 4plies plus center.  But the two plies are cross grained so they don't look the same from the side view.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
penholdloop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penholdloop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2010 at 9:44am
Hi!

please check your private messenger!
qwkrvr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qwkrvr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2011 at 8:31am
Hi,
I have a Darker Center carbon, purchased from Paddle Palace several years ago. The racket has a metal tag on the bottom of the handle, in addition to the embedded tag shown in your photo. It still has the BX700 sticker. I am currently using Tibhar Grip-S Europe Soft, max on the FH; and Yasaka Rakza 2.0, soft on theBH. I started using these rubbers because of the "off/on" feel of the racket. This combination is working well for me. I like it so well, that I may try to purchase another. Did you uncover any more info on this blade?
Never seen; like a shadow in the dark!!
Pondus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pondus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2013 at 4:10pm
Sorry to bring back this thread, but I was doing a little digging on the "Darker B-X 700" blade (also known as the Darker Center Carbon), and took a look at the pricelist of blades from Paddle Palace in the year 2000. As you can see below (screenshot from Paddle Palace's website in 2000), this Darker blade retailed for $119.00 USD... which at the time was more expensive than ANY Butterfly blade (the most expensive being Sardius at $114.00 USD).

Also interesting to see that you could get a brand new Viscaria ST for $90.00 USD... in regards to how much you'd have to shell out for one of those today.

Edited by Pondus - 01/31/2013 at 4:30pm
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2013 at 4:19pm
I have owned a Darker Center Carbon in the past. It is a wonderful blade and a collectible jewel.
Pondus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pondus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2013 at 4:29pm
ahhh, you should've hung onto it, brother... Smile

Edited by Pondus - 01/31/2013 at 4:37pm
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2013 at 4:47pm
That would be a Darker BX-700, I'm afraid someone else now has the one that I was posting for a friend a few days ago  =)
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2013 at 5:04pm
I like the mention "We are working on a deluxe website. Please stay tuned." well...I do. LOL
qwkrvr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qwkrvr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2013 at 5:47pm
I still have my Darker Center Carbon. The lens actually says "Center Carbon". I have since acquired a Darker Speed 90, which I love! I plan to purchase a second. I am currently recovering from lumbar spinal fusion, so won't be playing 'till April. Had "non invasive" fusion 12 days ago. Had SUPER surgeons at Walter Reed Naval Medical Hospital. I walked around ward the afternoon after morning surgery!
I missed the NATTS at Baltimore, but will be ready next year.
Thanks for your response.
Pondus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pondus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2013 at 8:40pm
Ouch - best of luck with your recovery, qwkrvr. Smile
qwkrvr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qwkrvr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2013 at 8:45pm
I'm 61. Too old for "hoopin'"; but just right for loopin'"!!
blackfire View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/06/2017 at 12:30pm
uploads/19589/20170806_233304.jpg 
I dont know why my darker blade has a different label. 

thinman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thinman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/12/2024 at 9:29am
Hello thethinker,

Sorry for such a late reply,

I noticed that extra ply under the handle of your Center Carbon.  Any idea when Darker stopped adding that?  I find the extra handle thickness very comfortable in my hand.  I always thought that was cool idea. The rubber sits a little lower too.

Here is my Darker blade, also purchased from Paddle Palace around that same time. I was not wise enough to select one of their high ends blades.

Thanks for sharing,

thinman

JtD
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic