FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Nexy Demian review by APW 46.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nexy Demian review by APW 46.
    Posted: 02/22/2010 at 10:41am

Narrative review.

I was sent two sheets of Demian Max one red one black to review. I think it is difficult to really get to know a rubber unless yopu either play with it for a long time, or play with it on your usual blade, so I have been swapping the Demian with my usual T05 for review purposes, and also cross matching the two.
like the Nexy blades, the rubbers are well packaged with an 'expensive look' about them and the usual miss-matching translation in to English on the back of the packet, which explains in great detail how speed is not everything, control is important, which I implicitly agree with, however the word 'slow' seems to be a dirty word in TT, so best not use it. Instead make a new one up that means the same thing, 'Integrity'..... So this rubber turns things upside down, instead of being a ultra fast rubber that has masses of control, its the opposite, a rubber with masses of control, that has power on tap when you need it, I was sceptical to say the least. 'Get ready to meet the face of Janus' was the powerful statement on the reverse of the packet, well I was hoping it was the Janus from Greek mythology and not the one called Hugh.

The Rubber has a thin delicate topsheet with small pimples, clearly visible through the thin membrane of smooth slightly tacky topsheet, tacky, by no means sticky. The orange sponge is soft smooth and dense, but not 'jellylike' as is the sponge on Tenergy.
So no problem affixing to my WRB classic allround, I first Tested the Demian Red Max on my B/hand, using Tenergy 05 black on the f/hand, and I had carefully chosen the moment at a training camp, so my sparring partner was a fellow coach, Helen Lower former English no1 lady and ex Olympic player.
First impression within hitting two balls? Slow! my arm speed being used to Tenergy, I needed to compensate, but when I did there was a huge gear kick up and the ball missed by a mile. This was during b/hand counterhits, If I stepped back slightly to make room and unleashed b/hand topspin drives, there was med to fast pace, loads of topspin and consistency, but once again, if I opened my batface for a flatter contact there was a massive gear 'kick up'  plenty of pace, but at the expence of spin. Helen moved on to loopdriving to my b/hand block, she is very consistent and powerful, I could block her easily, though there was a  'thud' as the ball seemed to bottom out with every block. So far so good, the rubber seemed to do what it said on the tin, until I tried absorbing (fishing) loops back off the table, there was little 'springback' quality in the rubber, unlike playing with Sp/glue or Tenergy, the rubber does little for you, its OK if you are positive, but for subtle guiding back of the ball from distance, T05 and the established rubbers of that Genre win hands down.

Of course, short game play was superb with all that control, flicking Helen's international standard serves was easier than with my Tenergy, dropshots and pushes all were easy with this high control rubber, as was serving, I was getting a quite magnificent long dwell on my high throw serves. Flat hitting/slapping was easy too and the high control made for easy chopping back of loopdrives ( an attackers chop that is)

I tried playing with the Demian on my F/hand, it was OK but just a little too slow, its not a good loop and re-loop rubber because you have to impact too highly to achieve the desired gear kick up which leads to inconsistency, I personally see Demian as a good B/hand Rubber, I have retained it on my bat because although I lose some fishing ability, I like the control and the fact that I can really let rip with topspin on my b/hand loop with high consitency, yet I need to Tenergy on my f/hand to power the ball away, Demian would not be fast enough. I see a market for this rubber as a compliment to a combination players armory, high control and spin, yet a big slice of power when needed, by players used to hitting/looping with slower rubbers because of their style of play. If you are looking to powerloop your way to victory this rubber is not for you.
The Older I get, The better I was.
Sponsored Links

Fruit loop View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruit loop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2010 at 10:58am
Good review, paints a clear picture. Definitely not going to try this rubber =]
Timo Boll Spirit FL
Dr Evil ox both sides.
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2010 at 2:22am

-The Two-Faced Janus joke was masterful, in setup and execution.

However, your strange idea of using a slower rubber on the backhand side seems to run counter to the conventional wisdom.

Many professionals seem to put fast japanese or euro rubbers on their backhands, as they while away the day punching thru US2700+ level loops.

Of course, I would simply run away screaming if one of those were coming at me, rather than attempt to select the appropriate rubber.

(and don't get me started on that blade, clearly you must be a beginner to be using something so slow)Big%20smile
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2010 at 2:50am
Janus is from Roman mythology. The 10th month of the year, January, was named after him. The Greek god with similar but not identical functions is Hermes. It is important to know that, with the one mouth, he takes your money and with the other mouth sends you away... So, how much does Demian cost? Wink 
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2010 at 5:20am
Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

However, your strange idea of using a slower rubber on the backhand side seems to run counter to the conventional wisdom.

Many professionals seem to put fast japanese or euro rubbers on their backhands, as they while away the day punching thru US2700+ level loops.

I'm 46 yrs old but find myself still reasonalbly competitive in a good standard. I find that the best way to slow younger fitter players down is to load the topspin and come off the pace, this takes the opponent out side the normal tempo of play, ie they have problems punching thru my loops at you point out, but you need to look at it from the loopers position, not the puncher. I find that with a slower rubber, it is easier to 'hold' a fast incoming ball and work some topspin. Having said that, I've just 10 min ago ordered some tenergy64 for my b/handLOL 
The Older I get, The better I was.
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2010 at 5:24am
Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

I'm 46 yrs old but find myself still reasonalbly competitive in a good standard. I find that the best way to slow younger fitter players down is to load the topspin and come off the pace, this takes the opponent out side the normal tempo of play, ie they have problems punching thru my loops at you point out, but you need to look at it from the loopers position, not the puncher. I find that with a slower rubber, it is easier to 'hold' a fast incoming ball and work some topspin. Having said that, I've just 10 min ago ordered some tenergy64 for my b/handLOL 

yeah in my local leaque the older players all use slower equipment, and they spin the ball heavily, very different from the game I'm used to.
Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2010 at 7:27am
APW46

I've not tried Tenergy 64 on an Allround Classic WRB, but I do rate it on good old 5 plies, like the Yasaka Extra and Petr Korbel.

Don't be fooled by those who tell you it's good for one thing; namely looping, as I found it a versatile rubber on both blades and on both wings.

You're comment about slowing the speed of a shot down, to get a counter looper out of their comfort zone is a good one; as I've noticed that a lot of players get into a groove with topspin rallies, as long as you keep the speed  around the same, like in a counter looping drill. 

But as soon as you deliberately vary the speed, spin or placement; with something like a slower heavier topspin loop, it sorts the men out from the boys.

Good players move position, to compensate for the slower ball and play a shot with control; whereas inexperienced and lower level players are less likely to adjust their positioning to compensate for the slower speed and they end up playing the ball out of position and stretching to reach it, which greatly increases their chance of playing a weak or bad shot.

Being left handed, I'm also surprised how many lower level right handers misread sidespin on slower loops too and get caught out by the way the ball kicks off the table into their body. It's the reason why i consider spin is a more dangerous weapon than speed, against counter hitters whose footwork and positioning needs improvement.

pingpongrob View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongrob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2010 at 7:40am

I'm 46 yrs old but find myself still reasonalbly competitive in a good standard.

You mean 46 years young.
Distributor for Andro, XIOM, Tibhar, Joola, Dr Neubauer, Donic, DHS, AIR, Dawei, 729 & Yinhe

http://www.affordablett.com.au
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2010 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by pingpongrob pingpongrob wrote:

I'm 46 yrs old but find myself still reasonalbly competitive in a good standard.

You mean 46 years young.

a mere wee lad, by some comparisons Wink
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
Jonan View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2010 at 12:25pm

Says the guy using 729 FX EL on his backhand...
Jonan View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2010 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

Originally posted by pingpongrob pingpongrob wrote:

�I'm 46 yrs old but find myself still reasonalbly competitive in a good standard.
You mean 46 years young.
a mere wee lad, by some comparisons Wink

Indeed, at my old club, he'd be the youngest guy there some days if me and my college buddies didn't show up.
Nexy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nexy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2010 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by Imago Imago wrote:

Janus is from Roman mythology. The 10th month of the year, January, was named after him. The Greek god with similar but not identical functions is Hermes. It is important to know that, with the one mouth, he takes your money and with the other mouth sends you away... So, how much does Demian cost? Wink 

You can check the price now in www.nexy.com site.
Any ways, it's usd 25.

Brand Manager of NEXY
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic