Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

APW reviews Nexy Ikarus blade

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: APW reviews Nexy Ikarus blade
    Posted: 03/03/2010 at 9:14am
A long long time ago, way back in the 1980's I played with a Nittaku Magic soloution blade, a hybrid hard/softwood style blade giving high control on one side, at the expense of pace, and power on the other, at the expense of control. There were no 'Hybrid choppers' or 'spinless pip blockers' in those days, defensive players just played with defensive blades and rubbers, the purpose of the twin paced blade was to give more control to a given weaker wing, for most players, it was the b/hand, different time, different conditions small ball etc. I used the magic soloution differently, it seems strange now, but in those days, many players only used speedglue on their f/hands, preferring to keep more control on their b/hands, and I found the perfect set up for me, I used the slow side on the magic soloution on my f/hand with sp/glue, and the fast side on my b/hand without sp/glue, this gave me reasonable pace on my b/hand, and  good control, and superb dwell on my f/hand with a massive sp/glue gear ( the 'tock' was amazing) This is why I was keen to review this blade, so see if I could re-create the same effect, all be it without the speed glue, Nittaku stopped making the Magic soloution ages ago.

Times have changed, and the most obvious market for this blade is in the combination/ hybrid defender area of TT style players, I still believe however that these blades can be utilised by regular attacking players using twin reversed rubbers, the speed differential can be used to great effect when implemented within a structured players game.

The Ikarus is well presented as you would expect from Mr Moon, superbly finished with a 5 ply+ one layer of carbon design, it really does do what it says on the tin;

''  On the forehand, unprecedented power springs,
                           On the backand , misty chaos remains,
                           Smell the fear,
                           Taste fustration from your enemy''

well maybe not 'unpresedented power' and not with 'misty chaos' seeing as I was playing with Tenergy 64 both wings, but I could certainly smell Fear, the only problem was, it was mineLOL The carbon added a little too much pace for be, I can see how it would suit others, but i like the ball to stay on my bat a little longer. The 'slow side' was perfect though, extremely high level of touch, a deadening effect when blocking, even with Tenergy, but the surprise for me was the huge gear kick when hitting, the carbon layer ofcourse affects both sides, not just the 'fast side' but only comes into effect when balls bottom out on the wood. If I could get a version of this blade that played 10% faster on the slow side, and I could have the slow side on both sides, I'd play with it.

My friend, who is a defensive player has a Hallmark Aurora, which is a similar combination blade, his is much slower, a smaller differential between sides, The Ikarus is better suited to a close to the table Pip blocker, a real hybrid defender, or a twin reverse looper looking for a new angle, than a pure defender IMO.

The Older I get, The better I was.
Sponsored Links

Heimdallalso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimdallalso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2010 at 10:16am
Nice review... enjoyed it.
Odd happenstance, back in the late 80's I dated Misty Chaos. Fun gal really, good times!
Did not know she made it over to Korea.
NEXY Lissom st 85g
fh/ Andro Impuls Speed max
bh/ Palio Flying Dragon 1.8
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2010 at 11:15am

APW, you didn't try T05 on it?

APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2010 at 11:31am
Originally posted by BeaverMD BeaverMD wrote:

APW, you didn't try T05 on it?

Yes I did, and also the Demian rubbers, the review is the same though. I've been playing with T64 for the last few weeks, I love it on my f/hand, its a little quick for my B/hand though, I prefer T05, which spins better off the top sheet for opening loops. T64 is superb for off the table re-looping, it virtually plays the shot for you!LOL
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2010 at 12:54pm
So perhaps you should play with something else on the "fast" side - perhaps a mildly tacky and relatively softer rubber so that the ball stays there a bit longer. Gambler Wraith comes to mind but I am sure you can find something in your vast warehouse of used rubbers which will suit the "fast" side just as well.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2010 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

I am sure you can find something in your vast warehouse of used rubbers which will suit the "fast" side just as well.
 How do you know how vast my vast warehouse is? It IS vast, but unfortunately most of the rubbers need sp/glue to be realistically viable. Oh how I wish I could get another sheet of the Super Fiendship 729 I had about 10 yrs ago, It was just a one off, never had a sheet so perfect and long lasting (it lasted 2 yrs) and was pure gold, I'll probably never see a sheet of rubber like it again, it must have been from the 'golden cut' I can't even remember where I got it from, but it was twice as fast as the normal stuff we get, same tacky surface, but the longevity was us surpassed. Has anyone else come across this, it only seems to affect Chinese rubbers, Euro and Jap always seem to be of a standard quality. I've still got this sheet somewhere, Ill take a picture of it and post it. What I do remember is that the topsheet was really thin and transparent. ( red of course)
Nexy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nexy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/19/2010 at 1:30am
Sorry to hear that you could not find a good rubber for your fore hand side, APW.

Actually, when I read what I wrote on IKARUS blade surface from your article, I laughed at it. It seemed too much for a blade. LOL

However, I really hoped I could make that kind of surprisingly well balanced new creature, but seemingly, it's not that great for you.
I think long-pimple users will be enjoying this blade more.

By the way, there in one news.
Now www.nexy.com is available.
Please, come and say anything I need to make better, if you find.
Brand Manager of NEXY
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic