Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

BBC Reviews: 9-10-9 blade

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2010 at 11:21am
Originally posted by jcdi jcdi wrote:

I don't know whether Charlie made me a special sample since I specified him I played with off blades, but the one he sent me has nothing to do with an All+....That is to say, I suspect him to be able to adjust the model you are ordering to your own needs. Charlie, correct me if I'm wrong. If so, that is indeed a major asset compared to what you can find at a normal TT retailer. It is not "cousu main" but very close. And so, for almost the same price. Even cheaper if you consider new BTY ridiculous expensive products...

I suspect that with all Hinoki blades like this one or DS 90 it is hard to quantify their class as to ALL+ or OFF etc, because they have more than one gear and therefore behave differently in different situations. Like, when you play gentle short touch or quick over-the-table block then the blade hots like ALL+, but when you loop or do medium-power flat hit and such, then it is definitely at least OFF- or OFF for power-loops. Basically, when carbon layers come into play (meaning you start to hit fast and strong) then its classification jumps one or two degrees up. Soft and thick outer layers on the other hand guarantee that carbon is not interfering with the short game below certain power level of your strokes - hence ALL+ for that aspect of the game. And so on...
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
Sponsored Links

BladesByCharlie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BladesByCharlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2010 at 2:49pm
hi jcdi.  the 9-10-9 that you got is from the same stick of wood that mine is.  i do consider it special, but am selling all 9-10-9s from the same wood until it runs out.  i am in constant search for equal weight/density wood.  it does seem to have special "properties" in that the blade has the touch of an "all", but hits like an "off".  different rubbers tweak it some.  initially i was going to kill the line because i thought it was too slow, only an "all".  but found that it hits very well with my b/h medium pips, the best i've ever used.
so...the basic blank for now, is special for everyone.  the shape changes it's characteristics (larger being slightly slower).  i tried all shapes personally and chose the Attack II as having the "right" feel for my touch and timing sense.
in your case getting close to the right handle was special and i am willing to deliver that to anyone.  even the weight of the handle can be adjusted to get balance right.
i've tried thousands of wood/carbon/glue combinations and will try more, but i am happy with the serendipitous finding of the 9-10-9.  i am working on different combinations of thicknesses in this config, like 8-9-8, 7-8-7, not for me, i've found "home", but for other's preferences.
thanks for the new French idiom, "hand sewn",  right?   charlie
Charlie Smith, owner
http://www.bladesbycharlie.com
BBC 9-10-9, Donic Barracuda, RITC 563 1.5
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2010 at 2:55pm
Charlie, did you ever make a non-symmetric blade which has different thickness (wood) on FH vs BH?

Jolan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jolan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2010 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by BladesByCharlie BladesByCharlie wrote:

hi jcdi.  the 9-10-9 that you got is from the same stick of wood that mine is.  i do consider it special,...../.....

...../.....thanks for the new French idiom, "hand sewn",  right?   charlie

I'm definetely a lucky b........d ! My blade is the sister blade of yours...Replace blade by wand and you can write a new chapter of Harry Potter...!
Next time I'll play it I'll say to my opponent : "Beware young padawan (yes I know, I'm mixing HP and Star wars, who cares ?), My blade has been made in the same stick of wood as the master's blade. Prepare yourself to be highly punished for threatening me with your disgraceful item. Such impudence deserves equal hardness ! "

Now you are scaring me ! Shall I lock it in a safe ? Are you still OK for selling it to me or shall I wait for a courteous visit from the Sopranos asking me to give it back...?
Joola Wyzaryz Freeze
Vega pro 2.0mm
Vega intro 2.0mm
Blade collection : https://photos.app.goo.gl/PrgCu5ib5RnhVXTn9
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2010 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

Charlie, did you ever make a non-symmetric blade which has different thickness (wood) on FH vs BH?

I have one from Charlie! Tongue  the FH is faster (thicker) than the BH.

Great for my med pips play.  My next request for Charlie will be to clone the V-6 blade (lighter version). Thanks to him, I'll stop buying the Butterfly blades.
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
nathanso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nathanso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2010 at 6:29pm
Palio Macro ERA 42.5* max worked well on my 9-10-9.
BBC, SP, LP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BladesByCharlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2010 at 7:06pm
hi jcdi,  can you guess where from--"he tasks me!"

it's quite still ok for you to keep the SUPERBLADE.  and may the force be with you!
p.s. do the Sapranos know where France is?   
charlie
Charlie Smith, owner
kelvinyoong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelvinyoong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2010 at 7:18pm
slightly off topic...

Do all the BBC blades come sealed?
Andrzej Grubba AN
Sriver 2.1 Sriver 1.9

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BladesByCharlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2010 at 7:41pm
JimT,  yes and i still do.  obviously the site still needs to be fleshed out.  lots of missing data not added yet.
BeerBelly in Austrailia got an o/s 2-speed Carbo-flex with mahogany outers.  so technically it is a 7 ply blade, but the plys are definitely not the same thickness.
just for a second i thought of a 7-10-9 or other permutations(many).  but realized that dissimilar thicknesses of the same wood on the outer layer will eventually warp.  i'm sure that the micro-carbon would not be sufficient to prevent it for more than a year(even well sealed).

the Tri-flex carbon is also made as a 2-speed, is faster than a skinny Tri, but not as fast as the fatty Tri (which is "goofy" fast).  pictures on the site soon.

after years of exhaustive research i decided that carbon stretches more than it compresses.  so...in the Tri 2-speed, 2 of the carbons are closer on one side than the other.  on that blade i use 1/16" balsa-3/32" balsa to offset the center carbon.  the skinny side flexes slightly more than the fat side, thus my suggestion is "fat on the b/h".  i think the f/h needs more
dwell/carry time than the b/h.  the fatter side gets rid of the ball faster.

in BeerBelly's case, as well as others, i suggest this but also ask them to "try" it the other way also.  some like it fat on f/h, depending on rubbers used and preference.

Carbo-flex and Tri-flex composition prevents warping(never seen one in 35 years).

p.s.  BeerBelly's blade has hide glue under the mahogany layers to improve touch for chopping 'til they drop.

more later,  charlie
Charlie Smith, owner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BladesByCharlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2010 at 7:47pm
hi kelvin, yes all the blades i've made for the 35 years have been sealed.  i consider a delammed or a splintering  surface to be criminal.  but the sealer has to penetrate and not sit on top of the wood.
more later,  charlie
Charlie Smith, owner
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2010 at 11:17pm
Hi Charlie,

Can you tell me off the top of your head if your Carboflex Alpha is based on the Sitco design?

Also do you have anything (prototype or otherwise) that is similar to Darker's old Center Carbon design?

Blade manufacturers seemed to have abandoned single carbon plies in recent years; I'd be interested to hear your feedback why 2 ply carbons have been the most prevalent.
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BladesByCharlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2010 at 1:26am
hi icontek.  i was Asti blades, designed blades before Asti.  the C-flex is mine.
i not aware of any center carbon blades by others.  i'll look into the old Darker design you mentioned i am curious.

the fibers on the flex series doesn't run north to south like all other blades.
it runs "criss-cross", at 45 degree angle to north-south.  when i used single ply carbon n-s it caused the blade to be too springy, the blade flex and came back too fast, launching the ball faster than any rubber wanted.  no compatability.  the criss-cross design was intended to make a bigger sweet spot, stabilize the blade without making it stiff.
i've made single carbon blades off center to make a 2-speed effect.  oddly enough the side with the carbon flexed more.  looked into it with experts and
found that carbon stretches more than it compresses.  not what i expected.

the two carbons work with each other to stiffen, lessening flex, but lightening the overall weight of the blade.  the further apart the carbons, the stiffer the blade.  lately i have access to a lighter "micro-carbon" that weighs less,  lets more of the wood touch to occur.  heavier carbon just isn't practical for the weight limitations, especially around Tenergy or H3.
thanks for the question, i'll think about it more,  charlie
Charlie Smith, owner
nomadpat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nomadpat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2010 at 9:34am
Originally posted by nathanso nathanso wrote:

Did you happen to try the 47.5* degree on the 9-10-9 as well?
nathanso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nathanso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2010 at 9:44am
Originally posted by nomadpat nomadpat wrote:

Originally posted by nathanso nathanso wrote:

Did you happen to try the 47.5* degree on the 9-10-9 as well?
No, not yet.
BBC, SP, LP
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2010 at 11:00pm
charlie, thank you for your response.

i didn't realize the asti/sitco connection! i briefly hit with a friends carboflex last year and thought "wow, nice balance of control and power".

the darker design of their center carbon is an enigma to me. on the occasions that i borrowed one for a few games one, the solidness feel and speed remind me of a clipper. it produces a lot of quickness from light contact and has some gears. it has a wonderful pitch and balance with a head size that reminds me of the samsonov alpha (though not quite as small). but there is definitely a "disconnect" between the carbon and the outer woods on big drives (too much whip effect?) and the blade is capable of producing balls that have too much speed for the amount of topspin.

being darker, i wonder if it's not a hinoki based design.

i'm really tempted to purchase one of your artfully designed blades and i keep coming back to a center carbon idea. if i could take the best things about the darker (balance, solid feel, most comfortable FL handle i have ever used) and the asti (control, spin, and more control) i think i would have quite an evil birthday present for myself!
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2010 at 7:46pm
Played quite a lot with 9-10-9.

First of all, it really plays great with Tenergy and SP - exactly as promised on the website. I however disliked how Tenergy reacted to the incoming spin, and the SP (RITC 802) while great in many respects cannot really do a good BH loop or flip, so I decided to put them off till I grow really old and feeble. Wink

Then I decided to give two Outlaws 2.2 a try again. And oh! miracle... after playing with that combo for 30 mins I realized that it was quite a good one, a bit more aggressive than Nexy Color with Outlaws but still quite controllable and exactly what I need. So now I have two setups of almost the same nature (with Outlaws and Hinoki layers, that is). So then I played entire practice with 9-10-9 and Outlaws and "he saw it was good" (c).

Soft fast blade with hard rubbers = great combo for my style.

Thanks, Charlie!

Jolan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jolan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2010 at 1:48am
Outlaws...? Thank you, it might be an option. I am still searching the perfect match with this blade (remember ? I'm a "perfect match" searcher....). I've tried Tenergy 64/05 = trow angle way too high. Baracuda = Even worst (sorry Charlie, we disagree on that one) , too slow, too high. (off topic : Baracuda on Mazunov is fantastic...)
Xtend hs max is the best bet I've reached so far. It's low throw and fast enough, but I'm still lacking a bit of "tenergylike" power, seewhatImean ?
In short, I want something like tenergy 64 but with a very low throw. Does that exist ? Would Outlaws be the way to go ?
Joola Wyzaryz Freeze
Vega pro 2.0mm
Vega intro 2.0mm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BladesByCharlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2010 at 2:59am
hi jcdi,  i've been thinking how could i have been so wrong?  i still play with
Baracuda, even went from 2.0 to max and play well with it.  i can stay with the Tenergy users and the sales hype on it about durability and accuracy is still incredulating to me!
i played with Gambler's Outlaw 2 years ago and loved it.. the juniors at the club all used it until splitting, delam and broken pips started on the players who trained alot.  make sure you get the upgraded newer version (added a taste of synthetic rubber (i hear).  i still have players who are economizing buy the Outlaw, but i love my Baracuda.
i may have figured out our lack of concord.  i play with 1.5 563 on my b/h and the weight for all is 153 grams.  the 9-10-9 is faster with more weight.  i just didn't tell you, sorry!   a friend borrowed my backup blade to see what the 9-10-9 is all about for himself and put Donic Coppa Platin on both sides, then  beat everyone there.  he thought it was special that he could play so well without having to get used to it. 
i have been testing an 8-9-8, to see if it plays better with both sides inverted and heavy like Tenergy.  we'll see, thanks,  charlie
Charlie Smith, owner
Jolan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jolan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2010 at 4:07am
Dear Charlie,
by no means I'm saying you were wrong and I am right ! I am just saying that, according to my taste and habbit, baracuda doesn't fit my bill with 9-10-9. It's just a matter of personal preferences, you see...
I find your blade beautiful and fantastic but it's providing a high arc , which is more than OK to me provided I can find a low throw rubber. I find baracuda to be also high throw and also a bit too slow for my offensiv game. So high throw blade + high throw rubber = balls out.
Xtend hs is OK. Low throw and fast enough. Thing is that it's light ! Yeah, I know, everybody is looking for lightness these days, but my all setup is now under 170gr (168 to be precise...). I miss some power. With tenergy or baracuda, your blade feels wonderfully balanced at 178gr.
So either I'm adding some edge tape or I'm finding heavier tensors.
I've got a pair of Joola express one waiting around that I should try too on that blade. Should be OK. I'll keep you posted.

Joola Wyzaryz Freeze
Vega pro 2.0mm
Vega intro 2.0mm
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2010 at 12:32pm

Outlaws...? Thank you, it might be an option. I am still searching the perfect match with this blade (remember ? I'm a "perfect match" searcher....). I've tried Tenergy 64/05 = trow angle way too high. Baracuda = Even worst (sorry Charlie, we disagree on that one) , too slow, too high. (off topic : Baracuda on Mazunov is fantastic...)
Xtend hs max is the best bet I've reached so far. It's low throw and fast enough, but I'm still lacking a bit of "tenergylike" power, seewhatImean ?
In short, I want something like tenergy 64 but with a very low throw. Does that exist ? Would Outlaws be the way to go ?

Yes, I think you should give them a try - they are definitely lower throw than Tenergy, faster on drives and blocks, no noticeable catapult effect (not sure if you want that or not). Less spin but that's fine in my book as they react to the incoming spin much less that Tenergy. The only problem for me is fragility but I am told they have made it better with the latest "3rd" generation.

Jolan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jolan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2010 at 11:53pm
@JimT : Thank you for the tip. Outlaw works much better on 9-10-9 than anything else I've tried so far. It's low throw, fast without being a speed demon though. I like the "crispy feel" it provides and my wallet likes the price. I took it in 2.2mm and it does the match perfectly. Closed case !
Joola Wyzaryz Freeze
Vega pro 2.0mm
Vega intro 2.0mm
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2010 at 12:12am

@JimT : Thank you for the tip. Outlaw works much better on 9-10-9 than anything else I've tried so far. It's low throw, fast without being a speed demon though. I like the "crispy feel" it provides and my wallet likes the price. I took it in 2.2mm and it does the match perfectly. Closed case !

Glad you liked it. I kept it on BH there, but replaced FH rubber with LKT Rapid Speed 2.2 - for better control over table and extra spin. It's a tad slower but hits good still...

Also (about the wallet) try using Palio Macro Era 47.5 instead of Tenergy. I played with both and PME is better almost in every aspect (price included), but mostly for me the important thing is that PME is way less sensitive to the incoming spin than Tenergy. Read my review about PME and comparison to T-05 and T-64 which I just posted today.

despoticwalnut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote despoticwalnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2010 at 2:43am
I bought a 9-10-9 off a tester from this site and received it this Monday. It certainly is much thicker and more solid than any other blades I've tried, but I love it. At first I was doing great, although that was probably the honeymoon phase. I soon had trouble controlling it with IQUL 35 2.2 on it so I tried my renanos bright hard and found it much easier, most likely due to the more predictable nature of the harder sponge. I'm picking up a couple chinese rubbers a friend sent me from the post office tomorrow to try out and see if I like them. It could just be that I prefer harder sponge than the 35, but at the moment I don't have the resources to find out yet, but soon I'll get it.

As an amateur review of this blade, it is very excellent and I don't think I'll be needing to try any other blades anytime soon. The rest has been covered more thoroughly and with more experience by previous posters.
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2010 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by despoticwalnut despoticwalnut wrote:

I bought a 9-10-9 off a tester from this site and received it this Monday. It certainly is much thicker and more solid than any other blades I've tried, but I love it. At first I was doing great, although that was probably the honeymoon phase. I soon had trouble controlling it with IQUL 35 2.2 on it so I tried my renanos bright hard and found it much easier, most likely due to the more predictable nature of the harder sponge. I'm picking up a couple chinese rubbers a friend sent me from the post office tomorrow to try out and see if I like them. It could just be that I prefer harder sponge than the 35, but at the moment I don't have the resources to find out yet, but soon I'll get it.

As an amateur review of this blade, it is very excellent and I don't think I'll be needing to try any other blades anytime soon. The rest has been covered more thoroughly and with more experience by previous posters.

Saw you selling the blade. Turned out a bit too fast for you, maybe? Korbel with Srivers sounds like a slightly slower and controlled combo, but you could put some controlling rubbers on 9-10-9 and use it that way.

One thing that sometimes makes me play Nexy Color instead of 9-10-9 is that NC is a bit more flexible and "hugs" the ball more. So for the players who prefer a flatter game with blocking and hitting and very nice short game control, 9-10-9 is just the ticket. I loved it with short pips on BH.

despoticwalnut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote despoticwalnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2010 at 5:42pm
Yeah, and the feel was just not quite for me. It's a very nice blade, but I need something with more flex to loop with at my level.
the_theologian View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2012 at 10:31am
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

Blade: 9-10-9 (name is given presumably because the thickness of the cypress plies is 9, 10 and 9 hundredth of an inch (90, 100, and 90 thou, to be exotic).

Weight: 90 g (plus-minus 1 g)

Here come the pics:

Just wanted to state that I am the proud owner of this very blade reviewed by JimT a little over 2 years ago. Furthermore, it is the greatest blade of all time. Smile. I personally refer to it as, "The blade of blades."

Strangely, last night I weighed it, and it came in at 87.4 grams.... Ermm... maybe it's burned off some calories since it was created?

As you may have noticed in other threads, I like this blade so much, I'm having Charlie make a duplicate PartyPartyParty
Appelgren Allplay ST / Vega Europe max
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2012 at 11:01am
Originally posted by the_theologian the_theologian wrote:

Strangely, last night I weighed it, and it came in at 87.4 grams.... Ermm... maybe it's burned off some calories since it was created?

Humidity changes and with it the weight can jump 1 g up and down easily - so mine was 89, your 87 - the "real" weight is probably 88 then Big smile

Carryboy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carryboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2012 at 12:04pm
Can I make you an offer on that 9-10-9 please!!!!!!! Better still name your price!!!Big smile Really a nice blade
Spin Master Carbo Power (Stefan Elsner Custom)
Donic Acuda S1 Max
Donic Acuda P1 Blue Max
the_theologian View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2012 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by Carryboy Carryboy wrote:

Can I make you an offer on that 9-10-9 please!!!!!!! Better still name your price!!!Big smile Really a nice blade

my friend, usually when it comes to blades, money talks.... but not this time Cool
Appelgren Allplay ST / Vega Europe max
Franq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Franq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2012 at 5:05am
Ugh!!Wacko
"ugh!"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic