Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Excuse me while I backpedal...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Anton Chigurh View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Excuse me while I backpedal...
    Posted: 03/27/2010 at 6:08pm
Nuke  I apologize up front: This is a very unfocused and tangential thread. However, it might have some material that some people may find useful after wading through it. Nuke

Not too long ago, I posted this review of the Stiga Ebenholz NCT V.

Since that time, I've had the opportunity to try a few "higher end" blades for comparison. Subsequently, I'd like to refine a few things I said about the Ebenholz. First, although an enjoyable blade, in my opinion the Ebenholz is not a $130 blade. It is not an $80 blade, either. I would say that it is, at best, a $50-$60 blade dressed up in ebony wood.

For me at least, comparison is a vital tool when trying to understand equipment. It is probably due to my lack of experience as a novice, but the feel/play of a blade is really only salient to me when I can set it down and immediately pick up another for comparison.

Therefore, today I took my HK655, Tenor, XIOM V1, Viscaria, and Ebenholz NCT V to practice. All were armed with Neo H3 and Coppa Platin Soft. I just hit forehands against a robot today, so I really only got a sense of the feel of these blades. (Perhaps I got a slight sense of control too, but it was minimal in comparison to doing real drills or playing a game.)

I said somewhere that the Ebenholz almost felt like a blade with soft carbon as its outer ply. After today, I definitely stand by that. In fact, in terms of feel the Ebenholz was much more similar to the XIOM V1 than to the Tenor or HK655. The V1 had a slightly more "synthetic" feel that many carbon blades do, but the V1 and the Ebenholz are by far the most similar in that lineup.

As a five-ply, all-wood blade that costs $130, you'd think that it would be in the same class as the HK655 and the Tenor. It is not. Not even close. Don't get me wrong, it is a decent blade; but it is not comparable to the other two, in my opinion.

The HK655 and Tenor are absolute pleasures to play with, I might add. I cannot say that they're worth $170 and $200 respectively, simply because I've recently come to think that no blade is worth that (in spite of having bought several in that price range Dead). But man, they really are nice. Right now, I'm preferring the Tenor to the HK655. The HK655 vibrates a little too much for me, and the Tenor has a feeling that is... special. When you hit the sweet spot on that blade... Shocked Clap

The Viscaria is pretty sweet too. It is fast. Man, is it fast. However, in comparing the feel of the V1 and Viscaria, I prefer the XIOM V1. For a carbon blade, the V1 preserves the "woody" feel better than other carbon and carbon-arylate blades I've played with (including the Viscaria). That isn't to detract from the Viscaria in any way, because it's great. Just a personal preference thing. And geez is it fast.

Anyway, I wanted to clarify my feelings on the Ebenholz NCT V. It is hard to get a good read on a blade's characteristics because 1) I have limited experience in table tennis, and 2) I had no comparison, which I find highly valuable. Therefore, although I like the Ebenholz, I certainly don't love it. In addition, I may have been a bit too generous in my estimation of it in my previous post. And I also want to stress again--it is NOT worth $130, IMO. For that price, I recommend to all to look elsewhere.

Neo H3 40D| Offensive S | Tenergy 80
Sponsored Links

ohhgourami View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2010 at 6:16pm
HK655 too much vibration?!  That thing is perfect man! Smile  The old HK has way more vibration than that thing.

I'm glad you enjoy it though, but enjoying the Tenor more is disappointing.

I'm loving the OC CR though, but at my rate of growth, I'm expected to go back to my beloved HK655 in 4 months or so Big%20smile
Custom Walnut 7-ply
DHS H3 Provincial untuned 40°
BTY T64
210g
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2010 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by ohhgourami ohhgourami wrote:

HK655 too much vibration?!  That thing is perfect man! Smile  The old HK has way more vibration than that thing.

I'm glad you enjoy it though, but enjoying the Tenor more is disappointing.

I'm loving the OC CR though, but at my rate of growth, I'm expected to go back to my beloved HK655 in 4 months or so Big%20smile

A little too much... for me. Big%20smile

The HK655 is a very nice blade. I'm definitely not saying that it has a lot of vibration, but it does have a bit more than the Tenor, IMO. I prefer the HK655 handle to the Tenor handle, if that makes you feel better. Wink

Also, keep in mind that the last two or three weeks I've been playing with the V1, a carbon blade with very little vibration. So I may be a bit sensitive to that right now. My tastes change with the blowing of the wind, so although I think my HK655 does have a bit more vibration than my Tenor, I may actually prefer that in a week, or a month, or a year... etc. LOL

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2010 at 8:45pm
Anton, the Viscaria is the greatest blade ever designed by man (if only the handle was a teeny bit fatter); to me it doesn't feel all that fast, but I've been using them for years, so maybe I have forgotten.  Not too long ago I ordered a Xiom Axelo, as with all Xiom blades, the craftsmanship and weight is perfect.  But it was so ridiculously fast as to be completely unplayable (by me).  It made the Viscaria seem like a defensive blade.  I am quite curious about the other Xiom, the Quatd Zetro or whatever they call it.  I am betting it will be similar to the Viscaria.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2010 at 10:38pm
I feel the same way about the TBS, although it is supposed to be a half tick slower AND I am happy with the FL handle. I also think it isn't all THAT fast. After I played with the TBS a full year plus, then bought/traded for Galaxy T series. ALL of Galaxy T Series I tried (T-4, T-7, T-8) felt way too fast and bouncy for me. Still TBS is faster than a lot of blades,, but at an OFF speed rating, it won't compete for king of the hill in the speed department. I have become so accustomed to the TBS over the last two years, that I would cry like a baby if something happened to it. We all go through a period searching for what works great for us, some longer or shorter than others. I hope you have fun and satisfaction along the way and tell the forum all about it.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/28/2010 at 12:52am
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

I feel the same way about the TBS, although it is supposed to be a half tick slower AND I am happy with the FL handle. I also think it isn't all THAT fast. After I played with the TBS a full year plus, then bought/traded for Galaxy T series. ALL of Galaxy T Series I tried (T-4, T-7, T-8) felt way too fast and bouncy for me. Still TBS is faster than a lot of blades,, but at an OFF speed rating, it won't compete for king of the hill in the speed department. I have become so accustomed to the TBS over the last two years, that I would cry like a baby if something happened to it. We all go through a period searching for what works great for us, some longer or shorter than others. I hope you have fun and satisfaction along the way and tell the forum all about it.

The more blades I try, the more I think I'll never settle on one thing... at least not for a long period of time. Thus far in my EJ-ing, I think the main thing I've learned is that I'm a novelty junkie (maybe that's all a hardcore EJ is--someone who seeks constant novelty). My interest in new blades has grown well beyond purchasing what I think will "make me better", if that's even possible for equipment to do. Now it feels like it's more about appreciating variety. I am a blade manufacturer's wet dream. Embarrassed

There are major differences between the HK655, Tenor, Viscaria, and V1... but I like them all because of their differences. There was a time when I did not care for composite blades; however, now I just see them as different and not "better" or "worse"... and I value those differences. Just like I cannot claim a favorite color. They all have their place.

This... is not good news for my bank account. Pig Cry

Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/28/2010 at 3:04am
Quote The more blades I try, the more I think I'll never settle on one thing... at least not for a long period of time.

Nonattachment is a great religious virtue. We must be happy with what we have (aparigraha) and yet try not to be attached to it.

Recently, I bought a $3 racket (including the cover), equipped it with two $4 Kokutakus, and it played much better than Bty Primorac OFF- with two brand new Tenergy 64. This is the common opinion. And the remedy for my dilapidated bank account.

Member of the CHEAPO Social Club (actually running for President).
viktorovich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viktorovich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/28/2010 at 6:44am
@Anton Chigurh :
This Your opinion rather fh (and bh) ?
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/28/2010 at 6:46am
Originally posted by Imago Imago wrote:

Quote The more blades I try, the more I think I'll never settle on one thing... at least not for a long period of time.

Nonattachment is a great religious virtue. We must be happy with what we have (aparigraha) and yet try not to be attached to it.

Recently, I bought a $3 racket (including the cover), equipped it with two $4 Kokutakus, and it played much better than Bty Primorac OFF- with two brand new Tenergy 64. This is the common opinion. And the remedy for my dilapidated bank account.

Member of the CHEAPO Social Club (actually running for President).

You speak the truth.
chris.b40 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.b40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/28/2010 at 8:47am
Nice follow up Anton,this forum is a better place because of reviews like yours . Members can save time and money by reading these honest posts.
      AVALOX BLUE THUNDER
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/28/2010 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Anton, the Viscaria is the greatest blade ever designed by man (if only the handle was a teeny bit fatter); to me it doesn't feel all that fast, but I've been using them for years, so maybe I have forgotten.  Not too long ago I ordered a Xiom Axelo, as with all Xiom blades, the craftsmanship and weight is perfect.  But it was so ridiculously fast as to be completely unplayable (by me).  It made the Viscaria seem like a defensive blade.  I am quite curious about the other Xiom, the Quatd Zetro or whatever they call it.  I am betting it will be similar to the Viscaria.

No wonder, the Axelo is a 7.4mm blade. It's like a carbon fiber baseball bat. LOL I think the Stradivarius is probably a better comparison to the Viscaria... at least in that they're both composite and both 5.8mm. I'll be able to tell you better next week, as that's when my Stradivarius arrives. Wink

The Zetro Quad may not be very similar to the Viscaria, but I don't know. The Zetro Quad is a 7.0mm blade, five plies wood, two plies zylon, and two plies soft carbon. (I think it's: hinoki-zylon-spruce?-soft carbon-inner ply(?)-soft carbon-spruce?-zylon-hinoki.) XIOM claims it's aimed more at the Euro style player--further from the table, taking the ball later on the bounce, etc.
ohhgourami View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/28/2010 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by chris.b40 chris.b40 wrote:

Nice follow up Anton,this forum is a better place because of reviews like yours . Members can save time and money by reading these honest posts.

Are you saying that he's just a pawn?  Cannon fodder? Wink
Custom Walnut 7-ply
DHS H3 Provincial untuned 40°
BTY T64
210g
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/28/2010 at 10:12pm
Originally posted by Anton Chigurh Anton Chigurh wrote:

No wonder, the Axelo is a 7.4mm blade. It's like a carbon fiber baseball bat. LOL I think the Stradivarius is probably a better comparison to the Viscaria... at least in that they're both composite and both 5.8mm. I'll be able to tell you better next week, as that's when my Stradivarius arrives. Wink

I also have a Xiom Abolute Carbon Control.  It is a bit faster than my Viscaria in spite of it's name, and much lower throw, I think because it is stiffer.  Also very thick.  I think I prefer 5.8 mm. 
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/29/2010 at 9:22am
Hi Anton,

Sounds like you lower the Ebv value after playing with the HK655, and the Tenor.  Can you give us a direct compare between say the Ebv and the HK655, or the Tenor?  We now know that the finish of the Ebv is not on par with the others, but what about speed, power, control, comfort, etc... compare to the HK566, or the Tenor.

Thanks,
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic