Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Review: DHS Memo 2

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ttrubberman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttrubberman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Review: DHS Memo 2
    Posted: 04/02/2010 at 6:27am

Review: DHS Memo 2

It�s really long time for not writing a review on rubbers and blade. Recently, DHS release the Memo series and I�m really impressed with the Memo 2.

memo2_1.jpg

Before I tried the Memo 2, I do not expect too much about this rubber because the price of this rubber is much cheaper than DHS best selling Neo Hurricane 3. Therefore, I thought this rubber is not designed for the use of professional players. When I read comments on this rubber in China, I found that many peoples gave it a very high score, many people said the rubber is so elastic, the ball is really fast. This is my first time to heard that DHS rubber is �elastic� and �fast�. This is not factory tuned! It means that the rubber is elastic because it use a new sponge: #18 DHS sponge.

After reading these comments, I�m really interested to get one and try. Here is the testing equipment:

Blade: Yasaka YEO Penhold
Forehand: DHS Memo 2, black 39degree 2.15mm.
Backhand: Butterfly Sriver G3.
Glue: DHS water-based glue, no VOC.

The rubber is not tacky, it�s soft and high in grip. When I press the sponge, I can feel that the sponge is really elastic, it feel likes japanese sponge! but the cutting circular pattern found on the sponge are the same as the sponge in Neo. When I start test it, I found that the ball is going fast, it works like japan rubber! Although this rubber is label as 39degree, this is really different from Neo sponge with the same degree. As the sponge is soft, this rubber is too great for fast looping. I can feel the ball going in, brounce by the hard skin wood of the YEO, going out quickly by the elastic of the sponge. Although this is not a tacky rubber, the spin is really great in the fast looping. Because of it�s high spin, the ball go fast and low and it is bounced on the table. If I compare it with the Neo H3, Neo H3 can do better, the opponent is more difficult to deal with. However, Memo 2 can makes the looping easier to do, it does not need a warm up period too! You can play in competition when it is brand new, just like japanese rubber. For the Neo H3, you need several practice day to warm up the rubber.

How about high looping? I can say it�s okay but not as easy to do as hard tacky chinese rubber.  For blocking, it�s great in the bounce back speed, it�s not easy to get the ball high as the topsheet is not tacky, this rubber is good for blocking and pushing.

Can it be used at backhand? Yes, I think it can use at backhand, but I heard that the DHS is going to release a �designed for backhand� rubber: dipper 3, maybe this rubber is even better for backhand purpose.

As a conclude, I think that this rubber is the �true� non-voc dependent rubber for the post glue ban age, no factory tuning is need, designed for fast looping, a big step in DHS rubber design. It�s really cheap too! I wish they will release provincial or even national version soon. This rubber is ideal for forehand use, especially you want a fast spiny looping rubber, with a much cheaper price but similar to japanese rubber style.

http://www.ttrubberman.com

Sponsored Links

Sallom89 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sallom89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2010 at 7:11am
Thanks for taking your time to review this product! ;)
Member of Wang Hao fan club.

Hurricane Hao III
FH: Thors
RPB: Omega Pro
NgocHip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NgocHip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2010 at 10:14am
Thank for share.
Can you compare another of Memo series (Memo 1,3)to H2 Neo?
NgocHip
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2010 at 11:14am
ttrubberman.....did you happen to weigh the uncut sheets?

I wish this is something that is the first thing that is done for a rubber review. 

jonyer1980 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2010 at 11:19am
Nice review, but i will stay away from it, considering the jokes and laughs at me if I would play with a rubber than means "silly 2" in spanish.

LOL
Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Avoid any Butterfly stuff... at abusive prices. Raw power without control means nothing
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2010 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by Rich215 Rich215 wrote:

ttrubberman.....did you happen to weigh the uncut sheets?

I second that.
chris.b40 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.b40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2010 at 1:50pm
interesting..
      AVALOX BLUE THUNDER
ttrubberman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttrubberman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2010 at 3:17pm
It's uncut weight is 70g.
petermoo View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petermoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2010 at 7:42pm
TTrubberman, what rubber would you say memo is similar to?
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2010 at 2:06am
Originally posted by ttrubberman ttrubberman wrote:

So, when cut, say for HK, it will be way too heavy, probably over 50 g. Shocked

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2010 at 5:54am
ttrubberman, bro so its as heavy as the neo hurricanes?
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
Kalin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kalin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2010 at 5:58am
Yes it is pretty heavy.
Setup:

Blade:BTY Viscaria
FH:Andro Rasant (1,9 mm Blk)BH:Soulspin P12(1,8 mm Red)
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2010 at 7:40am
I saw that Dipper 3 is already available at www.ttshop.cn .
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2010 at 10:11am
Originally posted by ttrubberman ttrubberman wrote:

Ouch!   

Boat Anchors.........Confused

ryanp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2010 at 5:24pm
any reviews on that DHS memo 3?
t05 fx, diamant & wing passion medium
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2010 at 4:55pm
Memo 3 seems to be lighter than Memo 2. It adds max 90 g to your blade, depending on the size. Stiga Ebenholz V is 178 g with Memo 3 on both sides. The combo is very fast, powerful on loops and spinny, demonstrates good control and exact placement. Very much forgiving. The feel is really more of a European or Japanese rather than Chinese rubber. If it was not that soft, I would have compared it to BTY Spinart. Definitely better than T05 on Ebh 5.

Disclaimer: This is how I feel it. Better players may have different experience.
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2010 at 11:14pm
So memo 1 is the tacky one?
typhoon1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote typhoon1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2010 at 1:31pm
Do you change your stroke after playing with MEMOs
(from Japanese loop or European loop to Chinese loop) ?

I would like to try MEMO2 on jun but i do not want to change my stroke (Japanese loop).

Thanks,
tomas.gt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomas.gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2010 at 2:56pm
btw my red memo 3 was 54grams cut (157x150mm) and was very dead, very slow, low spin. It was one of the worst rubber. I tuned it, it got better but nothing extra. I played with memo 1 black (51grams cut) for few months, it was better, I liked it, but there is low durability, and next sheet got bubbles very soon...so I forgot about it.
Kokutaku Bishu no.1 ST - H3N red , BTfly Spinart 2.1 black
chu_bun View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chu_bun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2010 at 1:14am
I've got 2 pieces of Memo II from TTRubberMan and been playing with them for a while.  So far I really like them.  I compared them with Mark V (on a Samsonov Alpha) and H2 (on a Xiom Amadeus).  To me, Memo II feels much more alike to H2 than to Mark V.  I have no problem switching from H2 to Memo II.  While I simply cannot play with Mark V.  I think speed- and spin-wise, the Memo II and H2 are quire comparable.  Memo II is bouncier so easier for slow loop and block.  For power loop, smash, push, H2 has more control.
My H2 are dying (prematurely because of parking car in the sun), and I thought about switching back to H3.  But I think I'll play with Memo II for now.

Clipper Wood, Sanwei Gears FH, Sanwei T88-I BH.
tomaca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomaca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2011 at 11:06am
Is there any news for the memo II
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic