Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Review of 729 Cross-FX GuoYueHua etc 45* Sponge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Review of 729 Cross-FX GuoYueHua etc 45* Sponge

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jonan View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Review of 729 Cross-FX GuoYueHua etc 45* Sponge
    Posted: 04/13/2010 at 2:39pm
Recently I got 729 Super FX-C, which is the 729 FX topsheet with a pretty soft sponge. Great control, great all around rubber, does everything well, chops, lobs, short game, counters, blocks all great though the speed is kinda low and looping away from the table is lacking of course. Problem with it is because of the lack of attacking power, I've been forced to adapt to a quasi-lobbing game when pushed away from the table, and that's not really where I want to go with my game.

When getting a new blade (M-6) from eacheng, I decided to get one of their value rubbers along with it for my forehand and got their 729 FX GuoYueHua version, which is the Super FX topsheet with a 45 degree sponge, orangish pink on the red, blue on the black. I stuck the red on my forehand and will be hitting around with it tonight. It's pretty stark the difference in hardness between the two, and it's pretty true considering the same topsheet, but I will see how the change in hardness will effect my game. I thought it odd because the description gives it 9 speed 10 spin 11 control, but it's a very hard rubber with fairly light tackiness. Not sure how this will perform...

Thought some people, particularly those who coach, might be interested in a review since it's fairly new I guess and there's no info out there on it and it's really, really, dirt cheap. Like $35 for 10 of them.

http://www.eacheng.net/index.php?act=detail&ID=2677
Sponsored Links

Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/13/2010 at 6:09pm
That 729 FX Super rubber is the Guo Yue Hua pink sponge version, not the Cross version.   It's like a slightly deader feeling Higher I rubber.  I used to use it on BH and Higher I on FH of my faster carbon Galaxy V1 blade.  Nice for looping with its dwell. 

Jonan View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/13/2010 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by Rich215 Rich215 wrote:

That 729 FX Super rubber is the Guo Yue Hua pink sponge version, not the Cross version. � It's like a slightly deader feeling Higher I rubber.� I used to use it on BH and Higher I on FH of my faster carbon Galaxy V1 blade.� Nice for looping with its dwell.�

Thanks for the clarification, about to go test it, worried it will be a bad combo for a medium speed 7 ply blade.
Jonan View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/13/2010 at 9:09pm
Sucks...

I had a feeling looking at it on my blade and feeling it that it would play just like this racket a kid I know had, a stiff off++ 729 blade with some of that knockoff 44 or whatever degree yasaka zap rubber.

No spin, utterly dead. If you block then this might work for you, if you like heavy spin serves or pushes, loops at any distance from the table, then forget this. It is truly a $5 rubber. The difference between it and the 729 FX-C I have is night and day, 45 to 35 degree sponge makes a world of difference, but with a mildly sticky topsheet and rock hard sponge, theres just nothing generating spin. I warmed up and played a couple matches with it, just could not figure it out, it won't loop, it's more like a smack block away from the table or something. There's a reason there's no review on this and no one buys it...be warned...
austin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote austin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2010 at 11:59am

wow its really cheap at least
ANCHORFREE_VERSION="553101449" var _AF2$={'SN':'HSSHIELD00US','IP':'216.66.59.42','CH':'HSSCNL000076','CT':'0','HST':'','AFH':'hss42','RN':Math.floor(Math.random()*999),'TOP':1};if(parent.location!=document.location||top.location!=document.location){_AF2$.TOP=0}document.write("< ='text/' title='AFc_"+_AF2$.RN+"' >.AFc_body"+_AF2$.RN+"{} .AFc_all"+_AF2$.RN+",a.AFc_all"+_AF2$.RN+":hover,a.AFc_all"+_AF2$.RN+":visited{outline:none;background:transparent;border:none;margin:0;padding:0;top:0;left:0;text-decoration:none;overflow:hidden;display:block;z-index:666999;}"); < title=AFc_557 =text/>.AFc_body557{} .AFc_all557,a.AFc_all557:hover,a.AFc_all557:visited{outline:none;background:transparent;border:none;margin:0;padding:0;top:0;left:0;text-decoration:none;overflow:hidden;display:block;z-index:666999;} < =text/>AFhss_dpnone{display:none;width:0;height:0} if(_AF2$.TOP==1){document.write("")}

Peter Korbel(Fl) 89 g|FH Almana 2.0|Sriver G2 1.7
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2010 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by austin austin wrote:

INSERT REALLY BAD ATTEMPT TO MAKE A HYPER LINK 

austin....check yourself dude.......  use the correct button to insert hyper links.  Its the one with the U shaped arrow pointing to the upper right. 

Originally posted by Jonan Jonan wrote:

Sucks...

No spin, utterly dead. If you block then this might work for you, if you like heavy spin serves or pushes, loops at any distance from the table, then forget this. It is truly a $5 rubber. 

Jonan, which version are you saying that about.....the one with the harder sponge or the softer sponge?  I have a version of both....black with blue hard sponge and the red with soft pink sponge....both highly different for sure.

cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2010 at 3:05pm
I thought guo used short pips?
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2010 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

For sure!     I'm sure it's like the same situation with Timo Boll.  Do you think Timo uses all those different versions of Bty Boll blades?   

Jonan View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2010 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by Rich215 Rich215 wrote:

Jonan, which version are you saying that about.....the one with the harder sponge or the softer sponge?� I have a version of both....black with blue hard sponge and the red with soft pink sponge....both highly different for sure.�

I have the 729 FX-C and it's in black though very soft and then there's this

I got one of each, red and black, and both feel the same hardness. There are many, many 729 rubbers with the same topsheet "Super" "729 FX" on it, but the sponges are drastically different. This one is perhaps the worst rubber I've ever bought, DHS TNT was pretty bad, but at least it was softer than this and had a little mechanical spin.

Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

Traditional Chinese penholder, probably so, it's just a name they stuck on a product to make it more distinct I guess. He was using inverted in the recent pairs showoff contest though.

(edit add) Something I noticed as it sits on my desk off my blade, to give you an idea of how dead it is, it just lays flat, like there isn't enough tension to make a bubble when its right side up, and sponge side up the edges pull up just barely, it's really quite sad...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic