Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First Review: Butterfly Spin Art

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
Author
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2010 at 11:48am

Edited by BeaverMD - 09/10/2021 at 7:16am
Sponsored Links

bozbrisvegas View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2010 at 9:45pm
great!

next, can you take your of cuts and pull the pips off both the t05 and spin art from the sponge and pic of that if you could indulge us.

I want to know pip widths.

or just tell me with your eyes which pips look larger or further apart or taller etc.
Grubba Variant ALL
fh: Hurricane 38 degrees MAX
bh: tensor MAX
Watch me playing TT
bozbrisvegas View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2010 at 9:47pm
I would buy some now but the shipping from Japan makes a sheet of rubber cost almost double tenergy 05. That is very hard to justify right now.

except that I am EJ
Grubba Variant ALL
fh: Hurricane 38 degrees MAX
bh: tensor MAX
Watch me playing TT
walleyeguy7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote walleyeguy7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2010 at 10:14pm
spinart sounds very much like tg3. slightly harder, bouncier, and tackier than h3, yet plays much more like h3 than h2. i assume its longer lasting, more consistent rubber to rubber, and faster than tg3 though, for its price. im willing to guess spinart will be every bit as good if not better than dhs national blue sponge variants, at half their current price. so it certainly will fill a niche
High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2010 at 4:22am
Originally posted by BeaverMD BeaverMD wrote:

High Arc, if possible, would you mind taking a picture of the sponge of Spin Art? I'm curious to see if the pores are the same as Tenergy's.  Thanks.

The sponge of Spin Art looks identical to the one of the Tenergy's, but it is a lot harder, I can't see any difference by eye.
High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2010 at 4:29am
Originally posted by bozbrisvegas bozbrisvegas wrote:

great!

next, can you take your of cuts and pull the pips off both the t05 and spin art from the sponge and pic of that if you could indulge us.

I want to know pip widths.

or just tell me with your eyes which pips look larger or further apart or taller etc.

Pips spacing seems to be similar, but the pips of the Spin Art are smaller. Don't know if there is a length difference, but I will check once I get back home.
lilactime031 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilactime031 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2010 at 5:20am
I got my sample sheet of Spin Art one week ago.
I usualy play with Neo H3 in my fh of my second bat.
Spin Art play better far from the table and is faster.
When i try a rubber the first think i do is to try to top spin opponent's backspin pushes. For me this stroke is the main stroke of an offencive player. There i wanna sea the reaction of rubber.
There the H3 is better than Spin Art when you want a top spin winner but if you wanna play safer ans make a slower top spin, spin Art is better than H3.
Spin Art is slower than Tenergy 05 and 64.
But Tenergy 05 has very bad performance against heavy backspin pushes. It lifts the ball easy but no chance for fast top spin against back spin.
On the other hand Spin Art has better performance against back spin and it's slower in top spin against drives and blocks or top spin against top spin.
It creates the same spin with T05 and T64 and maybe a bit more. So service is about the same.
In receiving service and in blocking Spin Art is definitely much better product than all Tenergies.
To tell you the truth my big problem with all Tenergies and with Spin Art is the weight.
I tried the new Stiga Magna TC and the difference in weight is huge.
The oldest of you just remember that some years ago we thought that the chinese rubbers where ridiculus because of high weight (and we had in our minds the Srivers mostly) and now the new Bty sheets are 20% heavier than Neo DHS ans 25% heavier from Stiga Boost and Magna series.
e-pingpongshop
Sallom89 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sallom89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2010 at 8:06pm
I wish to hear more on this rubber, or showing a video of someone playing with it/reviewing (bouncing a ball on it/serving/top spinning). I am scared since I have just ordered it and don't hear great stuff about it yet. I'm a Neo TG3 user and I'm pretty happy with it but the only problem is ball slipping..
Member of Wang Hao fan club.

Hurricane Hao III
FH: Thors
RPB: Omega Pro
zheyi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zheyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2010 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by Sallom89 Sallom89 wrote:

I wish to hear more on this rubber, or showing a video of someone playing with it/reviewing (bouncing a ball on it/serving/top spinning). I am scared since I have just ordered it and don't hear great stuff about it yet. I'm a Neo TG3 user and I'm pretty happy with it but the only problem is ball slipping..

slipping? maybe u will prefer H3 neo instead.. its better in control
& im consider to switch to that.. but dunno if its heavier than tg3 neo?
zheyi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zheyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2010 at 8:51pm
Originally posted by lilactime031 lilactime031 wrote:

I got my sample sheet of Spin Art one week ago.
I usualy play with Neo H3 in my fh of my second bat.
Spin Art play better far from the table and is faster.
When i try a rubber the first think i do is to try to top spin opponent's backspin pushes. For me this stroke is the main stroke of an offencive player. There i wanna sea the reaction of rubber.
There the H3 is better than Spin Art when you want a top spin winner but if you wanna play safer ans make a slower top spin, spin Art is better than H3.
Spin Art is slower than Tenergy 05 and 64.
But Tenergy 05 has very bad performance against heavy backspin pushes. It lifts the ball easy but no chance for fast top spin against back spin.
On the other hand Spin Art has better performance against back spin and it's slower in top spin against drives and blocks or top spin against top spin.
It creates the same spin with T05 and T64 and maybe a bit more. So service is about the same.
In receiving service and in blocking Spin Art is definitely much better product than all Tenergies.
To tell you the truth my big problem with all Tenergies and with Spin Art is the weight.
I tried the new Stiga Magna TC and the difference in weight is huge.
The oldest of you just remember that some years ago we thought that the chinese rubbers where ridiculus because of high weight (and we had in our minds the Srivers mostly) and now the new Bty sheets are 20% heavier than Neo DHS ans 25% heavier from Stiga Boost and Magna series.
suppose u quite good in your skill.. i found difficult to switch from
chinese rubber to the new tenergies.. spin art never tried b4, but its seems like a controlled version of Tenergies with more spin!Tongue
Sallom89 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sallom89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2010 at 9:49pm
Originally posted by zheyi zheyi wrote:

Originally posted by Sallom89 Sallom89 wrote:

slipping? maybe u will prefer H3 neo instead.. its better in control

& im consider to switch to that.. but dunno if its heavier than tg3 neo?

I tried both rubbers, but the Neo H3 didn't suite me well.. or maybe I didn't give it enough time. Yes, the ball slips! I hear a squeak and the ball drops.. according to some forum members this happens a lot in a ( humid? ) places? my opponents always ask me if the ball is broken or not if they hear this squeaking sound LOL.

Hurricane Hao III
zheyi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zheyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2010 at 9:59pm
its does happens @ times @ humid places but shd be able to
overcome with proper strokes.. we know chinese rubbers
demands higher abilities to handle ball's placement and rubbing..

i might either go back to the old blue sponge tg3 or h3 neo :P
Sallom89 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sallom89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2010 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by zheyi zheyi wrote:

its does happens @ times @ humid places but shd be able to
overcome with proper strokes.. we know chinese rubbers

demands higher abilities to handle ball's placement and rubbing..

i might either go back to the old blue sponge tg3 or h3 neo :P

huh, I mostly have this problem with pushes/ receiving serves.

Hurricane Hao III

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote walleyeguy7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2010 at 12:48pm
@sallom

if youre slipping too much on neo tg3 then perhaps you brush loop when you should be looping/driving, or maybe your swing is just a little too open. try shortening it, and hit more into the ball, almost as if you are smashing. tg3 is a great rubber, but it is actually a good amount tackier and harder than h3 and is faster/has less control. tg3 is also much better for smashing.
High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2010 at 3:05pm
Short weight update:
We received a few new Spin Art rubbers and weighted a new uncut black sheet versus a new uncut T05. Although I don't remember the exact weights, the Spin Art was 4 gr heavier than the T05. That's more what I would have expected, but I don't like this finding and hope that we just weighted an unusually light T05 against a unusually heavy Spin Art...
Performance update will follow in a few days or weeks, maybe even with a little video...
Sallom89 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sallom89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2010 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by walleyeguy7 walleyeguy7 wrote:

@sallomif youre slipping too much on neo tg3 then perhaps you brush loop when you should be looping/driving, or maybe your swing is just a little too open. try shortening it, and hit more into the ball, almost as if you are smashing. tg3 is a great rubber, but it is actually a good amount tackier and harder than h3 and is faster/has less control. tg3 is also much better for smashing.

It is true! I need to use more sponge, but what about serve returning? I can't always use sponge because it adds a lot of speed. Also using a 38 degree Neo TG3 with a all wood blade seems too soft for my liking.. would it be fine for other people?

Hurricane Hao III

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote walleyeguy7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2010 at 4:26pm
brushing is a key skill that many people lack, good for spinny serves and pushes that you just want to get over the net and place well.

i use h3 neo 39 on my ye, which is very soft relative to what most people use on this forum. however, a lot of people on this forum are either ignorant, EJs, or 2000+. so in a few words, its not too soft. a 5w is ideal for learners like myself.

in many words:
my first decent setup was a k-4 with iqul max on the forehand, and i couldnt get the control and consistency i needed to do well. i got a hold of some h3neo and my ye and found i had to put more effort and motion to get where i wanted, but not nearly enough to hinder my killing ability. my control and consistency skyrocketed. throw in some drills and coaching and i have a new understanding of the game. i could switch back to fast equipment but i dont want to. what ive taken from my experience: its better to start slow and worry about killing them than it is to go fast and worry about everything else.
Sallom89 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sallom89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2010 at 4:42pm
Good stuff man, glad to hear from you. My spinart will arrive in 5 days or so and I hope it can replace TG3 Neo, otherwise I'll have to leave it since each day I'm getting better with TG3.

Hurricane Hao III
Anton Chigurh View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2010 at 5:22pm
I received my sheet of Spinart today. I glued it to my Acoustic and will try it out this weekend. If it's okay, I plan on just adding a few comments on this thread since I don't have the time or inclination to write up an extensive review.

(Initial impression: it is definitely hard, compared to T 05. Feels much like a Chinese rubber, but less tack.)

Neo H3 40D| Offensive S | Tenergy 80
High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2010 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by Anton Chigurh Anton Chigurh wrote:

I received my sheet of Spinart today. I glued it to my Acoustic and will try it out this weekend. If it's okay, I plan on just adding a few comments on this thread since I don't have the time or inclination to write up an extensive review.

(Initial impression: it is definitely hard, compared to T 05. Feels much like a Chinese rubber, but less tack.)

I hope you will be enjoying it! I still do.
Though I realized that in some situations I make errors which I would not have made with T05, because the rubber really needs a full stroke in most situations.
But I guess that it is obvious that some adjustment has to be done after using exclusively T05 for more than one year. 
Thaidog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2010 at 10:31pm
Can somebody tell me what Butterfly says on the back of the package about SpinArt?
Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

Tenergy 64 FX National 2.1mm

He never boosts... of course he never had to...
infinite_loop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infinite_loop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2010 at 11:28pm
Originally posted by Thaidog Thaidog wrote:

Can somebody tell me what Butterfly says on the back of the package about SpinArt?

A message from Timo Boll:
Dear EJs, thanks for promptly paying for my April vacation. I have another, more expensive vacation planned to coincide with the release of Tenergy 05 FX. I am hoping for your full support for that as well.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2010 at 12:22am
Although infinite_loop's reply is funnier and probably a lot more honest, the actual package says this:

SPIN ART / Tacky and Fast; a High Tension Rubber from BUTTERFLY

A tacky and yet fast High Tension rubber from BUTTERFLY is now available: SPIN ART. The tacky rubber surface is ideal for spin; the Spring Sponge enables the rubber to grip the ball. Finally, the original High Tension technology of BUTTERFLY has successfully increased the amount of both spin and speed obtainable; also it maintains the ball contact realised by traditional tacky rubber surface.

SPIN ART is a high quality rubber for those who use heavy topspin and explosive strokes.

*This is a highly delicate product. You are recommended to protect the rubber surface with a RUBBER FILM of BUTTERFLY or a similar product after a match or a practice.

DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2010 at 12:47am
can someone rate the tackiness as well as the hardness of this rubber.
compared to let say: h3 neo, bw2, 729-08 in tackiness (1-10) and sponge hardness.
Main:
Ovtcharov Innerforce ALC 85g
FH/BH: Glayzer 09C 2.1mm

Chopper:
Stratus Power Defense 85g
FH: Hybrid K3 max
BH: Grass D.TecS 0.9mm

USATT: 1725
Thaidog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2010 at 12:47am
Ok thanks lol :)
Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

Tenergy 64 FX National 2.1mm

He never boosts... of course he never had to...
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2010 at 1:05am
Originally posted by DreiZ DreiZ wrote:

can someone rate the tackiness as well as the hardness of this rubber.
compared to let say: h3 neo, bw2, 729-08 in tackiness (1-10) and sponge hardness.

The tackiness is about that of Haifu Whale II, perhaps slightly less. It is more of a mild tack.

I haven't played with it yet, but my best guess for the hardness is somewhere in between Neo H3 40 degrees and Haifu Whale II 38 degrees. It's really hard compared to most Euro/Jap rubbers, but not as hard as the hardest Chinese rubbers. It definitely seems more lively than Neo, Haifu, etc.

I won't be able to play with it until this weekend; I'll know more then.

pipigrande View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pipigrande Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2010 at 1:50am
This rubber looks very promising. I'm using Neo H3 right now and it is wearing out. So, I am going to give this rubber a try.

Asaomi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asaomi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2010 at 3:49am
It cant be a really tacky rubber if it didnt come with a protective film when new. IDK if the picture in the first post was straight out of the package or after he removed the film
Butterfly Viscaria
FH: DHS Hurricane 3
BH: Stiga Calibra Sound
High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2010 at 3:58am
Originally posted by Asaomi Asaomi wrote:

It cant be a really tacky rubber if it didnt come with a protective film when new. IDK if the picture in the first post was straight out of the package or after he removed the film

The picture in the first post is straight out of the package, there is no protective film (except that green paper which also covers the surface of the T05's).
ohhgourami View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2010 at 7:50am
to the OP,

youve never used H3 NEO (or just plain H3 of any type) before?  what other chinese rubbers do you have experience with?

just testing your credibility Wink
Custom Walnut 7-ply
DHS H3 Provincial untuned 40°
BTY T64
210g
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
  Share Topic