Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First Review: Butterfly Spin Art

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First Review: Butterfly Spin Art
    Posted: 04/17/2010 at 4:03pm
Hi, just got a single Butterfly Spin Art rubber today, 2.1 mm, red. I thought I make you guys curious for the review which I will add tomorrow (review below the pictures, there will probably be some follow ups to the review).

First impressions when just bouncing the ball:
Harder than T05 by quite a bit, and also slower. Mildly tacky.

Here some pics:

I played with the new rubber today, two trainings about two hours each. On the other side of the blade, I used T05 2.1mm for the first session, and a brand new sheet of DHS Hurricane 3 Neo 2.15mm for the second session. So I will basically try to give a comparison between these rubbers. I have never played before with Spin Art (obviously) and DHS H3 Neo (National Version).

What I will write here are of course my personal impressions after only four hours of exercising, so I may be mistaken considering certain statements, and others might feel differnt.

Is the Spin Art better than the T05? Yes. No. Maybe. Better than the H3 Neo? Probably.

Weight:
I missed to weight the rubbers, but the Spin Art has about the same weight as the T05 (my blade is 184 gr with T05 both sides, 183 with T05 and Spin Art, and 177 with Spin Art and H3 Neo.

Speed:
The T05 is the fastest rubber by far, and Spin Art is notably faster than H3 Neo.

Hardness:
The Spin Art is the hardest by far.

Tackiness:
Spin Art and H3 Neo are similar. You can lift the ball when the rubber is brand new, when it will fall off after a bit less than a second or so. After first cleaning with your hand, the obvious tackiness is gone. However, Spin Art still plays tacky. It never happened to me that the ball did slip on the rubber, soft blocks of slow loops with loads of spin worked just fine. No slipping of the ball, never, at least when the rubber is still as new as mine.

Catapult:
The T05 has the strongest catapult effect by far, but the Spin Art has still a much stronger catapult effect than the H3 Neo. However, you need to hit quite hard till the catapult of the Spin Art starts kicking in.

Spin:
Hard to say. My personal impression was that the T05 can produce the largest amount of spin, but my training partner who has to deal with my loops (pushes and serves) said that the Spin Art produces the largest amount of spin in all aspects of the game, whereas with T05 and H3 Neo, it depends on the situation. My misinterpretation probably arises as a consequence of the smaller catapult, where the T05 just seems to produce such hilarious spin.

Looping/Counter-looping:
This is the fun part. The T05 surely produces faster loops. However, loops can be played with more spin and variation with the Spin Art. Further, although I have never played with a rubber with such a hard sponge, I instantaneously had more control, in particular at first loops. The H3 Neo is quite a bit slower and you need to work much harder, but it has similar advantages for first loops like the Spin Art.
Considering counter-looping far off the table, I so much love the T05. Counter-looping with it gives you such a sensation due to its tremendous catapult. So by now, the Spin Art feels somehow wrong here. Nevertheless, with its hard sponge and its catapult at harder strokes, it plays very well. I was more solid than with the T05. The H3 Neo looses the competition of counter-looping far of the table.
Counter-loops close to the table are much easier with both the Spin Art and the H3 Neo for me. Many balls go to long with the T05.

Blocking:
I prefer Spin Art, than T05, and I do not really like the H3 Neo, somehow lacks consistency when you do not use your own force. The difference between T05 and Spin Art is mainly that the balls do not dig in so heavily with the Spin Art, adding consistency.

Chops:
Spin Art rules for me.

Serves:
I often have the problem that my serves go long with the T05 when I try to put spin on the ball. I did not have this problem with the Spin Art, I could consistently serve short with heavy spin (though I actually rarely serve short with heavy spin in a match). Several serves were way to short with the H3 Neo (but this probably means that I could produce even more spin on serves with it if I would get used to it).

Flicks:
Spin Art is just perfect with its hard sponge for me on my forehand, and I had tremendous difficulties to use it on my backhand considering that point. It seems that I just can't get the rubber to work because the ball does not dig in if you use no power.

Overall:
Although Spin Art is much slower than T05 and has much less catapult), I will keep it on my forehand for further tests. For me, it excels in serving, first loops, blocks and chops. I like it because I have simply more control in all aspects of the game (on my forehand). It is no good backhand rubber for me at this stage, because here I need more catapult to return serves in a offensive manner. Maybe I'm just stoked and over-optimistic...

If I have forgotten something (although I have written so much), please ask.

Second review (after two weeks and about 15 hours with the Spin Art) or in other words "Who will like this rubber" (in my opinion):

I add this part already now although I intended to give it some more time because I had a crash with my downhill bike yesterday and my left arm (luckily not the right one) is broken. So no serious playing in the following two weeks or so, though I will play a tournament this weekend.

My main impression after two weeks is a kind of simple one: the rubber is hard (in my rubber world). I'm still not entirely sure whether I like this or not.

Who will like the rubber?
-People who like hard rubbers and tacky rubbers. I think it is more of a feel good rubber than the Chinese rubbers if you used to play with European rubbers.
-Players which put a lot of attention to serving, in particular considering spin.
-Close to the table players.
-Players who either flick the return or push it with heavy spin.
-Players looking for consistent opening loops loaded with spin
Summarizing: Serve, return, first attack.

Who will not like it:
-Beginners or low level intermediates.
-Players who like soft rubbers (traditional European ones).
-Players who need a lot of catapult.
-Players playing far of the table.
-Numb (sorry for that word) flat hitters.
Summarizing: Rallies, wrist players, people looking for speed.

I hope these comments help people saving money...

Update:

Advantages of Spin Art compared to T05:
For me, the Spin Art excels for serves, returns and first attacks, and whenever you try to create maximum spin. The control in the passive play is very impressive. Notice that serve, return and first attack are just about the most important things in table tennis against most players.
Disadvantages of Spin Art compared to T05:
A bit slower, with a bit less catapult. I don't like the Spin Art that much in rallies far of the table. In general, when I move a few steps back, I prefer T05. The Spin Art wears down quite a bit quicker than T05 in my opinion.

Sponsored Links

johnny89atc View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnny89atc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2010 at 4:18pm
Nice pics! We will be waiting for your review...
Blade: OSP Virtuoso-L RST 87gr
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 05 FX 2.1
BH: Butterfly Tenergy 05 1.9
Anton Chigurh View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2010 at 4:23pm
Me too... I ordered a black sheet from iruiru.com, but it will take a while to get here.

Neo H3 40D| Offensive S | Tenergy 80
Sallom89 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sallom89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2010 at 6:10pm
boom boom paw! seems like all the EJ's purchased it from Iruru, including me :D
Member of Wang Hao fan club.

Hurricane Hao III
FH: Thors
RPB: Omega Pro
MildSeven View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MildSeven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2010 at 1:20am
Make sure you guys follow up after a couple of weeks to confirm whether this topsheet gains additional grip after break in like Tenergy does.
viktorovich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viktorovich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2010 at 4:34am
High_Arc : . Mildly tacky
? How many seconds the ball holds ?
Thanks
bozbrisvegas View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2010 at 4:45am
how much is the shipping and tax and all up cost?
Grubba Variant ALL
fh: Hurricane 38 degrees MAX
bh: tensor MAX
Watch me playing TT
nittakuball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nittakuball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2010 at 4:46am
too hard,i dont like it.
DHS 032
Butterfly Bryce Highspeed

Singapore & Canada

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2010 at 4:47am
What I most want to know is does this thing play any better than tenergy 25 for looping a metre away from the table.

Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nittakuball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2010 at 4:50am
Originally posted by bozbrisvegas bozbrisvegas wrote:

What I most want to know is does this thing play any better than tenergy 25 for looping a metre away from the table.

Is better than all Tenergy if you play away from the table but is alot harder than Tenergy.

I think T05 FX is better.(Coming this June)
DHS 032

Singapore & Canada

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2010 at 4:58am
How do you know it is better than all the tenergies away from the table?

Have u used it?
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nittakuball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2010 at 1:56pm

Have u used it?

Just try the rubber two days ago with moonbeam blade
DHS 032

Singapore & Canada

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nittakuball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2010 at 1:59pm

Have u used it?

Just try the rubber two days ago with moonbeam blade
I have try T05,T25 & T64 with moonbeam blade.

DHS 032

Singapore & Canada

High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2010 at 5:29pm
Review is here (top of the page).
Asaomi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asaomi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2010 at 5:41pm
Has this rubber been popular among the internationally ranked players? i think ive heard that ai fukuhara used it, but that was way long ago. anyone?
Butterfly Viscaria
FH: DHS Hurricane 3
BH: Stiga Calibra Sound
High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2010 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by viktorovich viktorovich wrote:

High_Arc : . Mildly tacky
? How many seconds the ball holds ?
Thanks

Not long when it is fresh, not at all when you cleaned it once with your hand.
High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2010 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by Asaomi Asaomi wrote:

Has this rubber been popular among the internationally ranked players? i think ive heard that ai fukuhara used it, but that was way long ago. anyone?

According to this forum, yes.

I have only tried DHS H3 Neo today for about two hours, and I would say that the Spin Art plays like the H3 Neo, but with more catapult, although harder (like speed glued H3 ?!? )
High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2010 at 5:59pm

Although I have only played a few balls with T25 and can not really answer the question, the answer relies on your preferences.

I have seen some of your videos and really like them. Considering your style, I would say you don't like Spin Art that much, because you have a tendency to play the balls by just using your wrist (which actually few players can). Spin Art needs a full stroke (then it plays extremely consistent) or a lot of getting used to it if you do smaller strokes (or just use your wrist).
bumpernets19 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumpernets19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2010 at 6:25pm
this rubber seems to me to be an improved version of H2 neo right? the Faster of the hurricane neos?
Rating: 1232
Xiom Zetro Quad
Hurricane 3 FH
Hexer + BH
High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2010 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by bumpernets19 bumpernets19 wrote:

this rubber seems to me to be an improved version of H2 neo right? the Faster of the hurricane neos?

I don't know about H2 Neo, played for the first time today with the H3 Neo, but to me it seems that is is an improved (and harder) version of the H3 Neo. At least to me... The passive play of the Spin Art is better in my opinion, and it is nevertheless quite a bit faster than the H3 Neo.
Thaidog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2010 at 7:49pm
Great review :) Is the topsheet transparent or is it like Vega and solid read?
Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

Tenergy 64 FX National 2.1mm

He never boosts... of course he never had to...
Anton Chigurh View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2010 at 8:42pm
Based on your review, I think I'm going to love it. I can't wait for my sheet to get here.

Neo H3 40D| Offensive S | Tenergy 80
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2010 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by High_Arc High_Arc wrote:

I played with the new rubber today, two trainings about two hours each. On the other side of the blade, I used T05 2.1mm for the first session, and a brand new sheet of DHS Hurricane 3 Neo 2.15mm for the second session. So I will basically try to give a comparison between these rubbers. I have never played before with Spin Art (obviously) and DHS H3 Neo (National Version).

What I will write here are of course my personal impressions after only four hours of exercising, so I may be mistaken considering certain statements, and others might feel differnt.

Is the Spin Art better than the T05? Yes. No. Maybe. Better than the H3 Neo? Probably.

Weight:
I missed to weight the rubbers, but the Spin Art has about the same weight as the T05 (my blade is 184 gr with T05 both sides, 183 with T05 and Spin Art, and 177 with Spin Art and H3 Neo.

Hardness:
The Spin Art is the hardest by far.

Thanks High Arc for a wonderful review.  How did you get a H3 Neo National Version? Smile

But definitely, I am very concerned about the Hardness of Spin Art (48 on BTY scale).  Your review is pretty similar with onlyspecialmade's.  I recently got to try a clubmate's racket - Stiga Tube Aluminum with T05 on both sides.  Heavy! Although I'm excited about Spin Art, I'm having second thoughts about buying one.  We'll see.  Anyway, thanks again for a nice and thorough review.  Be sure to post more thoughts after a few weeks of practice.
High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2010 at 3:15am
Originally posted by Thaidog Thaidog wrote:

Great review :) Is the topsheet transparent or is it like Vega and solid read?

I don't know about Vega, but there is no obvious transparency.
High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2010 at 6:38am
I weighted the rubbers today because I changed the combination of my Mizutanis.
The rubbers are cut to the blade and have one medium layer of water based glue on them.

T05: 49 gr
Spin Art: 48 gr
H3 Neo: 42 gr

My two setups:
1) Mizutani/Spin Art 2.1 (FH)/T05 (BH)
2) Mizutani/H3 Neo (FH)/T05 (BH)

By the way, I did another session today in the morning, and the overall impression remains the same:
I play more consistent and with more spin with the Spin Art, though with a bit less speed. But looping does not (yet) give me the same fun as T05 on the stroke itself. However, the joy comes because I place several loops in a row on the table and make fewer mistakes in the serve return play.

Summarizing, the Spin Art is less fun but more enjoyable than the T05 for me.
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2010 at 6:55am
Thanks for the thorough review buddy,
Do you have some impressions of the arc of the ball? Compared to T05? How about the opening loops, it it easier or harder than T05? .....aaaa almost forgot about smash......thanks
Hallmark Carbon Extreme (x3)
FH: D05/G1/RX
BH: Z2/D64/Ω7Pro
High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2010 at 7:06am
Originally posted by Kolev Kolev wrote:

Thanks for the thorough review buddy,
Do you have some impressions of the arc of the ball? Compared to T05? How about the opening loops, it it easier or harder than T05? .....aaaa almost forgot about smash......thanks

About the Arc:
There is more curvature in the trajectory and the throw is higher in comparison with T05 according to my training partner. I personally did not notice the higher throw.
Opening loops:
For me it is easier with the Spin Art due to the smaller catapult (I would never have guessed that I like something with less catapult...), though you need to make a proper stroke.
Smashing:
T05 is far better at smashing for me (more catapult and more speed), so I will switch sides when I realize that I may have to smash several times in a row.
KCREDT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KCREDT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2010 at 7:27am
Sounds like to me that Butterfly have created their own DHS style hurricane rubber, to compete with DHS. Virtually all of the top chinese use a hurricane rubbers on their forehand and favour a "softer" option on the backhand. The only problem is going to be the price. DHS rubbers are considerably cheaper than butterfly's. Plus if the difference is minimal between the two then I don't see the point in changing, although "Spring Sponge" is probably the best sponge I've ever played with.

Will be interesting to see if any of the top brass switch?
Blade:Stiga Hybrid Wood
FH:Tenergy 25 2.1
BH:Tenergy 25 1.9
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2010 at 9:48am

I weighted the rubbers today because I changed the combination of my Mizutanis.The rubbers are cut to the blade and have one medium layer of water based glue on them.T05: 49 grSpin Art: 48 but more enjoyable than the T05 for me.

this is hard to believe in a good way.

Am I missing something?

the colour is the same? Spin Art lighter than tenergy 05 is super promising!
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2010 at 11:19am

I weighted the rubbers today because I changed the combination of my Mizutanis. The rubbers are cut to the blade and have one medium layer of water based glue on them.T05: 49 gr Spin Art: 48 gr

this is hard to believe in a good way.

Am I missing something?

the colour is the same? Spin Art lighter than tenergy 05 is super promising!

Yeah, also find it hard to believe and I feared that it would be much heavier than T05. The color is not the same: Spin Art is red (unfortunately) and the T05 is black. Due to the cutting and the glue there is some additional room for error.
But for sure (my) Spin Art is not (much) heavier than T05.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
  Share Topic