FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Killerspin Blast Review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Killerspin Blast Review
    Posted: 04/17/2010 at 4:10pm
Thanks to JimT for sending the rubber. I just got it today, pictures will be up soon and a first impression review. As i am now known as a "killerspin hater" of sorts, you will expect to see a very unbiased and harsh review.

So far the sponge is a bit pink..reminds me of hammond pro alpha. out of the box the rubber is already domed so i will have to stretch out the sponge in order for it fit flat. topsheet feels nice and grippy a-la mambo H. feels a bit heavy too like mambo H. Actually, the sponge reminds me of Mambo H too...we'll see how it plays. if it's anywhere close to mambo H, i know i'll like it a lot on the bh. i'll try it out tomorrow and let you guys know.
www.youtube.com/gsutabletennis
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

Sponsored Links

tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2010 at 11:31pm
so i had a hit with it today during open play and i can certainly say that it plays pretty darn good.

it is on the heavy side but it doesn't bother me much. it is basically a Mambo H on steroids. it's so darn fast that i have trouble controlling it. at medium swing speeds, it's a lot faster than my bryce speed. the throw angle is also pretty low so pretty much all my bh loops were close to net height. i get the feeling that blocking with this rubber is going to be a lot of fun too. it's not going to catapult off like tenergy but it'll still have some punch to it.

i say it needs at least a good 3 days to break in properly with light use so that the topsheet gets a bit more wear into it. after that, i get the feeling that it'll play a whole lot better!
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2010 at 12:28pm
Sounds good! Could you fix your title then? "Killerspin Blast review" ?

Let us know more !! and don't forget to mail me the cut off pieces of rubber!!
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2010 at 12:48am
done and done =)
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

austin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote austin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2010 at 7:48am
tpgh2k i am next in line for this rubber please send it to me. i will send you my address in a pm i would like to countinue my testing.

thankyou,
austin

Peter Korbel(Fl) 89 g|FH Almana 2.0|Sriver G2 1.7
Killerspinrb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Killerspinrb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2010 at 6:24am
Thanks for trying our rubber and keeping an open mind. I look ofrward to hearing your thoughts.

Best Regards

Robert Blackwell Jr
Killerspin
Robert
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2010 at 11:37am
tpgh2k - I hope you could give us a more in depth (and hopefully, in detail) review. You know, perhaps compare it by points with other rubbers you have played with in control, speed, spin, sensitivity, catapult, hardness, feel etc etc etc. How it behaves in attack, pushes, blocks, defense, chops, looping, flat hits and such.

Thanks!!

metallikviper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metallikviper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2010 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

tpgh2k - I hope you could give us a more in depth (and hopefully, in detail) review. You know, perhaps compare it by points with other rubbers you have played with in control, speed, spin, sensitivity, catapult, hardness, feel etc etc etc. How it behaves in attack, pushes, blocks, defense, chops, looping, flat hits and such.

Thanks!!

+1
Nittaku Vioncello FL
FH: Donic Acuda S2 Max
BH: TSP P1-R 1.1mm
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2010 at 3:39pm
let's see....i'll do my best to explain those points when i played with it.

this rubber is only good if you swing hard...i tried playing soft with it, and the touch shots are really hard to perform. Blast truly lives up to its name....you need to blast the ball in order for it to perform right.

it is very hard to control. the catapult for this rubber is very high. it's not as sensitive towards spin as i would have thought...this could be a good thing or bad. good because you won't have to worry about all the funky sidespin or the large amounts of topspin your opponents generate. but the problem with this is that it'll be harder for you to use your opponents spin against him.

the rubber trajectory is EXTREMELY low. even after my friend tried the rubber, the throw is pretty much as flat as it gets. you can try to arc the ball and it ends up going in a straight line.

the hardness of the rubber is as hard as my bryce speed so that's a good thing for me. this is purely an attack rubber, i highly recommend against trying to use this thing for chops. i would say that it would be a faster non-tacky version of bw2 minus the tack, touch shots, or arc.

when i tried to use it on my fh (briefly) it was hard to really loop the ball with a lot of margin away from the table. anything over the table is pretty much cheese as long as it's above net height. i tried to attack short and low topspin serves and it was almost impossible for me to attack with conviction. so all i could do was guide/sissy flick the ball. it would end up with the guy looping the ball past me.

since the rubber is insanely fast, blocks are basically easy. the only thing you need to worry about is making sure you aim it correctly. i didn't get a chance to flat hit the ball but i can pretty much guess that the ball will rocket off the racket with ease...

so from my point of view, this rubber only excels when you attack. it lacks the all-round control required for the other aspects of the game. touch shots are going to be extremely difficult especially if you want to keep the ball nice and short. don't expect to be able to loop a ball that barely clears the table with any ease or comfort. all you'll end up hearing is a tiny chirp from the rubber and it'll just roll....

if you have any other questions, i'll do my best to answer them. i'm still waiting on Austin's PM for the address so that i can send the rubber to him.
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

bumpernets19 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumpernets19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2010 at 4:07pm
I'm glad killerspin is finally getting its products out there, I have a lot of respect for their products, as they are the ones that I started out w/.
Rating: 1232
Xiom Zetro Quad
Hurricane 3 FH
Hexer + BH
austin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote austin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2010 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by tpgh2k tpgh2k wrote:

let's see....i'll do my best to explain those points when i played with it.

this rubber is only good if you swing hard...i tried playing soft with it, and the touch shots are really hard to perform. Blast truly lives up to its name....you need to blast the ball in order for it to perform right.

it is very hard to control. the catapult for this rubber is very high. it's not as sensitive towards spin as i would have thought...this could be a good thing or bad. good because you won't have to worry about all the funky sidespin or the large amounts of topspin your opponents generate. but the problem with this is that it'll be harder for you to use your opponents spin against him.

the rubber trajectory is EXTREMELY low. even after my friend tried the rubber, the throw is pretty much as flat as it gets. you can try to arc the ball and it ends up going in a straight line.

the hardness of the rubber is as hard as my bryce speed so that's a good thing for me. this is purely an attack rubber, i highly recommend against trying to use this thing for chops. i would say that it would be a faster non-tacky version of bw2 minus the tack, touch shots, or arc.

when i tried to use it on my fh (briefly) it was hard to really loop the ball with a lot of margin away from the table. anything over the table is pretty much cheese as long as it's above net height. i tried to attack short and low topspin serves and it was almost impossible for me to attack with conviction. so all i could do was guide/sissy flick the ball. it would end up with the guy looping the ball past me.

since the rubber is insanely fast, blocks are basically easy. the only thing you need to worry about is making sure you aim it correctly. i didn't get a chance to flat hit the ball but i can pretty much guess that the ball will rocket off the racket with ease...

so from my point of view, this rubber only excels when you attack. it lacks the all-round control required for the other aspects of the game. touch shots are going to be extremely difficult especially if you want to keep the ball nice and short. don't expect to be able to loop a ball that barely clears the table with any ease or comfort. all you'll end up hearing is a tiny chirp from the rubber and it'll just roll....

if you have any other questions, i'll do my best to answer them. i'm still waiting on Austin's PM for the address so that i can send the rubber to him.
i sent you my address but i guess you didnt get it i will send it again right now =]. thankyou for putting this up it gives me a good idea for what to expect from it.

Thaidog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2010 at 10:23pm
Does this rubber have a built-in speed glue effect?
Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

Tenergy 64 FX National 2.1mm

He never boosts... of course he never had to...
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2010 at 10:58am
What blade did you put it on? YEO?

austin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote austin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2010 at 1:10pm
Why does everyone like the yasaka extra offense so much????

tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2010 at 1:19pm
yep, it was on the YEO. it's a great blade with plenty of speed and feel. i would love to have my old TBS back but i dont feel like spending money...besides, this blade is great with my haifu so i'm not changing any time soon...
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

austin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote austin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2010 at 2:37pm
tpgh2k did you get my mailing address. im waiting for a reply of confirmation that you got it and i have not gotten any. =[

tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2010 at 2:47pm
got it. sending it tomorrow
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

austin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote austin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2010 at 2:52pm
ok thanks a lot i will make sure to tell you guys how it is just wondering i forgot what color it is lol. im hoping its in black since i never decided to invest in glue lol. and i really dont want to be stuck with a hard decision of what to do with the rubber placement.

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2010 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by austin austin wrote:

ok thanks a lot i will make sure to tell you guys how it is just wondering i forgot what color it is lol. im hoping its in black since i never decided to invest in glue lol. and i really dont want to be stuck with a hard decision of what to do with the rubber placement.

For testing purposes I am sure the other guys will forgive you if you have same color rubbers on both sides...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Killerspinrb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2010 at 10:18pm
Thank you for the review

This rubber was named Blast for a reason. I was designed for players who want a lot of speed. Fortissimo is a different type of rubber it has different feeling. Lupi (Ilija Lupulesku) and Mark Hazinski play with Fortissimo and Biba plays with Blast.
Robert
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2010 at 10:33pm
i thought i saw him play with tibhar sinus at nctta nationals a few weeks ago but he might be using it on the reverse side. who knows...
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2010 at 11:01pm
Greg Letts (high rated australian player and moderator of tabletennis.about.com) did a great review of Blast a while back.

He indicated that it was not for the faint of heart, but rewarded excellent technique with impressive power.
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Killerspinrb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2010 at 1:14am
I will ask Mark to respond.
Robert
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2010 at 12:42pm
Got the info about hardness of the Blast (thanks to ivictor). Approximate numbers are:

topsheet  36-37
sponge     38-39

austin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote austin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2010 at 1:03pm
i will be making my review after tommarow. =]

vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2010 at 5:01am
And in the meantime, here is a fairly in-depth review of Killerspin Blast from OOAK reviews.
smiths9312 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smiths9312 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2010 at 2:49pm
Out of the package you can see Blast has quite a dome.  I glued it to my blade and was ready to play with it a little on Friday, but I discovered a side-effect of the dome, it began to pull away from my blade during play.  I glued it again and this time the rubber stayed put. 

I�m using it on a Butterfly Grubba All to start, since it�s my widest blade.  I�ll try it on my Stiga next week. 

The rubber is nicely made.  I see no bubbles or imperfections.  It�s glossy and not tacky. 

I think one of the questions that people are going to ask it how does it compare to Tenergy?  I don�t think it does.  It plays more like Bryce.  But my last sheet of Tenergy lasted 2 weeks, so I�ll never buy another sheet unless they can do something about the tearing. 

I put it through its paces for a couple of hours today.  It can chop, it can push, it can loop, and it can smash.  The throw is low when looping.  I felt in control of this rubber the whole day except on a few pushes.  The sponge is hard and that's nice - I really didn't need to worry about what my opponent was doing to their serves, only what I was going to do.  I was able to loop or flip all but the choppiest of serves.  It is hard to say, but I think I usually can put a bit more underspin on my pushes off choppy serves than I could with Blast.   I noticed no difference in my serving. 

In summary, I like this Killerspin Blast.  I like it a lot.  I compared it to Bryce Speed, but I prefer it to Bryce speed, because Blast gives you much more control. 

On day 1, I can�t find any weakness with Blast, except maybe pushing.  Something else I noted, Blast has some gears in it.  Toward the end of the day my confidence grew and I started using this rubber the way it was meant to be used.  Killing those loops and smashing.  I play close to the table and pick shots off the bounce.  I had no problem doing so and pulling them back on the table. 

I'll tell you where this rubber really shines.  My usual FH rubber is Roundell  but I've used a lot of others, and I�m usually terrible at smashing and will almost always go for the loop drive.  However today, I tried smashing as part of this review and I discovered something.  Blast can smash and I was killing it.  One of my playing partners asked, �Who is this I�m playing?� because I don�t usually hit those shots. 

I plan to try it on my Off+ blade, but I don�t think it's necessary.  Blast is plenty aggressive even on an All blade.

Thanks Killerspin and JimT! 
smiths9312 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smiths9312 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2010 at 2:50pm
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/03/2010 at 6:58pm
Austin, weren't you doing a review?  :)
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
austin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote austin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/03/2010 at 7:01pm
on the blast? cause i recently posted one on table tennis ratings not on the blast but on the donic epox off, everytime i write a review on here i get critized, the only one that i still need to do is the killerspin blade.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic