FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Review: Killerspin Kido 7P ST

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mmerkel View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmerkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Review: Killerspin Kido 7P ST
    Posted: 06/02/2010 at 11:25am
I was a bit over eager when I got the blade and put on the rubbers before I had a chance to weigh it and take pictures without the rubbers on it. I will update it once I have the rubbers removed.

I have it in the following set-up:
FH: Air Scirocco SF max
BH: Stiga Optimum MP 2.1

The workmanship on the blade is very nice. No rough edges or other quality issues that I noticed. The blade had a light coat of varnish on it (Thanks JimT), so I went right ahead and put the rubbers on. First feel with the rubbers, it is a bit head heavy, maybe also due to the straight handle. I like flared handles better, but the handle shape was quite comfortable.

I spent the night doing drills and going back and forth to my main set-up (see my sig).

Counter hitting / blocking:
On flat hits, the blade has a nice feel, the feedback is not as pronounced as on the Timo Boll Off-, but still clearly noticeable. The blade feels stiffer and a bit faster than my other blade, but the sweet spot is noticeable bigger. The sound is still woody, but the pitch is quite high and not so loud. The control is very good and I could hit with lots of confidence.
Blocking was easy on straight hits, a bit more lively than my comparison. The speed difference was biggest on slow hits and very hard hits. In the intermediate range the speed felt almost the same.

When I compared the backhand, I felt more comfortable with the Kido than my main set-up, mostly due to the larger sweet spot. I was able to return the ball more often. The ball was going closer over the net with the Kido, grazing the top of the net quite often, but almost never going into the net.
The feel on the backhand was as described above, faster in the slow and very fast range.

Looping:
I was able to load up on spin on my FH with lots of control and nice feedback. I could vary the spin and switch from loop drive to slow-spinny loops without major issues. For looping I actually prefer the Kido/Air combination to my current set-up.
BH looping was not as easy and controlled as with my other set-up. The ball went long more often and the arc was a bit lower.
Overall, I had more problems lifting back-spin as with my main set up.

Pushing / Serving:
The speed difference between the two set-ups was most noticeable in the short game and on serves. Fast serves came with more spin, but I had a harder time making short-spinny serves. I was unable to produce a decent 'ghost serve' with this set-up, where is worked reasonably well with my main set-up.

Game:
During rally points, I was able to stay in the point a little longer, but I made more mistakes attacking. My serves were not as effective as I was not able to vary the speed as much as I am used to. I did not play many points, so this observation might change.

I will play mostly games on Thursday, so I will update my observations after that.
#1 RL Balance -Bluefire M2 -Acuda S2
#2 RL Avalanche#2 -Bluefire M2 -Sigma Europe
#3 Primorac -Boost TP -Magna TC
Sponsored Links

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/02/2010 at 11:49am
Great job! Give it more time, I am sure it will become better in offensive play.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
austin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote austin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/02/2010 at 12:32pm
nice review ima try to make my review just like this.

Peter Korbel(Fl) 89 g|FH Almana 2.0|Sriver G2 1.7
mmerkel View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmerkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/03/2010 at 8:49pm
Tonight I played many games with the blade and I got used to it a bit more. In direct comparison, Kido has a lower throw than my Timo Boll Off-.
I got the same or less spin on the same service motion than my other set up. The blade is definitely faster and the shots are harder to return because of the lower trajectory. I had to apologize for so many net balls today.....but at the same time, many went off the net and over the end of the table.
If I get my new rubber (Blit'z) soon, which is supposed to have a higher throw than what I have right now, I will try that, but I don't want to make the next in line for the blade wait too long either.
I adjusted a bit in my technique for the change in throw, but I still did not reach my regular percentage on opening loops and offensive loop drives on my forehand. On the backhand, I had a bit less issues adjusting, but overall my backhand loops were not as spinny as my main set-up, not by much though.
Backhand kill shots were again a bit faster and I had many shots hit the white end line of the table, where the usual shots hit about an inch or two inside. Less room for variation again.
To become comfortable with this blade, I would need a higher throw forehand rubber and a slight adjustment in technique for my offensive shots.
I seemed to lose a bit of control in my short game, especially if I try to place the ball close to the net. I would estimate that I lost about 10% to 15% of accuracy in my 'touch' shots...meaning they went into the net, rather than just over.
If it is alright with you guys, I would like to play one more time next Tuesday with the current set-up (or the Blit'z if I have it) and then send it on. Whoever is next in line, could you please PM me with your address so I can have everything ready to send as soon as possible? I will add the pictures and the weight when I am done and have taken the rubbers off.
mmerkel View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmerkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2010 at 5:15pm
OK, who is on the list after Loopmeister? He can't do a review right now?
JimT, do you have anyone else?
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2010 at 5:43pm
Next is indeed Loopmeister. Did you PM him?

If he cannot, contact metallikviper.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
mmerkel View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmerkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2010 at 5:51pm
Yep, I sent a PM to Looopmeister, he is too busy at work. I will contact Metallikviper.
mmerkel View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmerkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/07/2010 at 8:26pm
Is anyone else interested in testing the blade? I will be done with the blade after tomorrow and so far nobody has come forward to test next.
metallikviper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metallikviper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/08/2010 at 7:31am
I'll review it if no one wants it. PM'ed you my address.

I've a pretty strong feeling that I wouldn't be able to review the Diamond CQ from austinShocked. Even if he does find it I don't think I want the blade for review as I have a sneaky suspicion that it I might not receive it after he ships it outWink.

I usually play with Long pips on my BH, but for the review of the Kido I'll do a two side inverted setup. My rating is not that high playing an offensive setup however (~1650).
Nittaku Vioncello FL
FH: Donic Acuda S2 Max
BH: TSP P1-R 1.1mm
AllezCho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllezCho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/08/2010 at 6:38pm
mmerkel: Any idea about the construction/wood ply structure of the blade? Pictures would be appreciated! Thanks. Nice review by the way!
Viscaria
T05/T64
mmerkel View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmerkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/08/2010 at 9:15pm
The finish is really nice as said earlier. The print is not so high quality, but I wouldn't care, since it's covered by the rubber anyway.

The back side is kinda plain...

The lens on the end is fitted nicely (and the picture is slightly blurry)

Nice 7 layer construction....unfortunately, I am too green when it comes to determining wood species. I can send the full size picture if you PM me with your email and you want to take a shot at identifying the layers.

Tonight I had my final practice with the blade and I can't get used to the low throw I get on my fh. Too many of my loops ended up just at the top edge of the net and even when I thought that I was pulling my loop almost straight up, it still didn't make it over the net all the time. I might get there with enough experimenting with rubbers and adjusting my technique a bit more. The current set up for me is more suited to more of a hitting topspin game, rather than a looping game.

I adapted to the testing set-up enough to mess up my loop strokes for my main set-up. I guess it will take another session or two to get my percentage on higher risk shots back. I really appreciated the larger sweet spot and if the handle was flared I might have considered it as a permanent blade, but it never felt like it was my HEART blade.

So good luck for the next testers with the blade.
AllezCho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllezCho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/08/2010 at 9:49pm
Thanks a lot for the review and pictures! I appreciate it! Smile

The outer ply looks like Limba, but I'll make sure. I pm'ed you my email for the pictures, thanks!
Viscaria
T05/T64
metallikviper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metallikviper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2010 at 3:53pm
I just received the blade from mmerkel and it was shipped in great shape and good packaging. I'm a little busy traveling this week so I might not have a review early. I usually play with LPs on BH, but since its an offensive blade I was going to put H3 Neo on FH and T64 1.9mm on BH. I'll try and get some pics and weight initially.
Nittaku Vioncello FL
FH: Donic Acuda S2 Max
BH: TSP P1-R 1.1mm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic