Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

OSPblades Forum Testing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 54>
Author
Gr8GrZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gr8GrZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: OSPblades Forum Testing
    Posted: 06/09/2010 at 7:23pm
Oldstiga Standard by Palatinus is a private Hungarian TT Brand.

Daniel Kosiba currently plays with one of their handmade blades, as the name suggests, these blades play like old stiga woods. I was offered a private testing and the blade is now mine for the keeping, but I have no use for it so I thought I pass it on to you guys to try and give reviews for the brand/us to read on for study.

"We make custommade blades under the name Palatinus. It is a small manufacture, known of the name of the master Robert Palatinus.
We found out that customers usually cannot wait 4-6 weeks for a custommade rackets and we established our standards. to shrink waiting time. So the name is OSP stands for Oldstiga Standard by Palatinus.

This way we make handmade blades for individual orders with the Palatinus logo and we make standard handmade rackets with OSP logo."

www.oldstiga.com please check it out and register to view their products and very cool vintage stiga/bty catalogs on pdf.

The process is simple, pay for shipping w/tracking (so we dont loose it by mail) to the person that currently has it, test it out 1 to 2 weeks max, reply here with your review and mail it to the next person.

Canada & USA only folks! I want to try to keep this going as long as we can, and the last person, please mail it back to me =)

I have their OSP Virtuoso OFF- racket. (They prefer to call it "controlled offensive" but for marketing purposes its OFF-) Straight Handle.

20100609_193813_virtuoso_port_b.jpg

20100609_193920_virtuoso_data_b.jpg

Edited by Gr8GrZ - 07/21/2010 at 8:15pm
Sponsored Links

kelvinyoong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelvinyoong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2010 at 9:38pm
Nice site. The old Butterfly catalog brings back memories.

BTW what is the difference between the UTC AN and Modern AN handles?
Andrzej Grubba AN
Sriver 2.1 Sriver 1.9
Gr8GrZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gr8GrZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2010 at 10:09pm
Old Stiga handle shape from older stiga blades, anatomical was used by ulf tickan carlsson kind of like modern day peter straight on stiga that is a lil different from normal straight handle. Like ulf, peter preferred his custom handle size. Stiga marketed each handle size with players using that handle shape from their elite sponsored players. Erik lindh had his conic handle named after him on his stiga blades for a while. Other then that i guess no real difference but most stiga handles are thinner as bty is more square and donic is more round.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelvinyoong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2010 at 10:49pm
Maybe a picture of both AN handles side by side will be good.
Andrzej Grubba AN
Sriver 2.1 Sriver 1.9
Gr8GrZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gr8GrZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2010 at 10:53pm
Not the point of this thread.
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2010 at 10:54pm
Where can I see their line of products?  I mean their standard products with OSP logo, not the custom made ones?
Gr8GrZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gr8GrZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2010 at 11:00pm
You can order both I believe email them for further info and consultation [email protected]
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2010 at 11:02pm
OK, you meant that OSP Virtuoso or other OSP products are not displayed yet in their website.  It will be cool if I can see pictures of them.  Anyway, thank you for your info.
holda View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote holda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2010 at 11:59pm
Hello, Gr8GrZ.
Do you have some comments about this blade?How long have you used it and which rubbers,please?
Be right back...
Please email to me if pm box is full.Later...
Gr8GrZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gr8GrZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2010 at 1:14am
Go to their webpage and register to view the offferings.
holda View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote holda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2010 at 1:39am
Originally posted by Gr8GrZ Gr8GrZ wrote:

I have registered.Is there a place where I can find some comments about Virtuoso?Thanks
Be right back...
Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2010 at 7:30am
The Virtuoso is a well balanced 5.7mm thick, offensive minus 5 ply blade; weighing around 86-88 grams. It's one of three standard handmade blades, made by Oldstiga; in their OSP range.

With regard to build quality; it's a handmade blade built by a master craftsman and built to a higher standard than mass produced blades. There are also some nice touch's; which you appreciate, when you get to play with it.

The shoulders have been rounded off, which is something that the twiddlers  who tried it, appreciated.

The rounded straight handle is solid; very comfortable in the hand and has a light coat of varnish on it, which helps prevent the penetration of sweat into the handle.

Handle dimensions are close to the Stiga Peter handle, with the exception of the chamfer at the top of the handle, which is slightly bigger; than the chamfer on the Peter handle of my 6.8mm Clipper wood.

As a result, I find it more comfortable in the hand, than the Clipper Wood's peter handle.

So how does the Virtuoso play?

The bounce test revealed it has a better feel to it than any modern Stiga I've played in the last few years; which isn't a surprise, as it's described as playing like the old Stiga woods and it definitely lives up to that tag.

The Virtuoso is like a newer version of those old Stiga's, with the same good feel; but built to a higher standard and designed for use with Tenergy and other modern rubbers.

It's a versatile blade and I must admit, i do like the way this blade feels and plays. it is fun to play with.

If I had to compare it to blades people are familiar with, I'd say it possesses the good control, of the Samsonov Alpha and Xiom Fuga, but with a better feel and a better overall performance too.

True it will cost you more than an equivalent mass produced blade; but you get what you pay for; i.e. a high quality hand made offensive minus blade, that has a great feel to it and delivers where it really matters,; i.e. in the way it plays.

p.s. The other two blades that make up the OSP range are:

1) a 5.4mm 5 ply allround plus blade; around 85 grams, which i don't know the name of and only have basic details of.

2) the Ultimate, which is a 5.9mm thick 7 ply offensive blade weighing around 90 grams or more.

I would describe it as a modern take on the classic 6 mm thick Clipper Wood and designed for use with Tenergy and other modern rubbers.

The Ultimate I have weighs 94 grams and it's a more versatile blade; than either of my modern 6.8mm Clipper Woods.

Whilst I think the modern Clipper Wood is a good blade; it's not the equal of the Ultimate; when it comes to feel, build quality or performance; particularly when looping.

I've always considered the Donic Persson Powerplay Senso V1, a better looping blade than the Clipper Wood and the Ultimate in my opinion, outperforms that blade too.

Why? because it performs better with Chinese rubber like TG3 Neo than the Donic blade does.

Like the Virtuoso , the Ultimate is a pleasure to play with too and if I was to choose between them, I'll probably settle on the Ultimate as it is better suited to my game.

Either way, the Virtuoso and Ultimate both have a lot to offer those who are prepared to pay the extra, to own and enjoy playing with a quality hand made blade.

Edited by Peter C - 07/14/2010 at 12:53pm
Gr8GrZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gr8GrZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2010 at 3:00pm
Peter you the man!
holda View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote holda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2010 at 6:42pm
PeterC,thank you for your sharing this info.
Be right back...
PLLsystem View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLLsystem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/11/2010 at 7:33am
Originally posted by holda holda wrote:

Originally posted by Gr8GrZ Gr8GrZ wrote:

I have registered.Is there a place where I can find some comments about Virtuoso?Thanks

Thanks for registering. Our website on OSP rackets will be launched in few days..

Thanks for your patience.
we make real professional handmade table tennis blades - ospblades.com
PLLsystem View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLLsystem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/11/2010 at 7:35am
Originally posted by kelvinyoong kelvinyoong wrote:

Maybe a picture of both AN handles side by side will be good.

Here you are
PLLsystem View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLLsystem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/11/2010 at 7:37am
handle dimensions

holda View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote holda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/11/2010 at 8:35am
I have some ideas about Virtuso at present time,yet I haven't t used it all that much.Lately a lot of people have been coming to play so we had very limited time at the table each time.I am very pleased with workmanship and design of Virtuoso.I have a sheet of Joola GP and Stiga Mendo MP attached to the blade.With a rating of OFF-,this blade has more power/speed than some conventional 5 ply blades.Pictures and short video are coming..
Be right back...
takacslaci View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takacslaci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/11/2010 at 8:40am
This "Virtuoso" is really good! I've tried it only for a minute with Baracuda 2.0 both sides, but it was really very good! The feeling is similar to the Primorac off-, but this is better!
tiehwen View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiehwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/11/2010 at 10:49am
Any Blade Maker bothers to take their time, effort & $$$$$ to design/craft a handle like Ulf Carlsson Anatomic really deserves my praise and respect. I as a matter of fact have tried a lotta Anatomic handled blades, so far only Stiga has, IMHO, consistently made really really comfortable ones and Butterfly to a certain extent does a fabulous job as well, esp. that of thicker SC and Photino but for their thinner blades like TBS, TB series, I think these need to be "bulked" up a bit.
@PLLSystem. ClapThumbs%20Up

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelvinyoong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/11/2010 at 11:30am
The quality of the Virtuoso looks very good especially with the AN handle.

What type of woods are used for the Virtuoso and the unnamed All Round Plus blade?
Andrzej Grubba AN
Sriver 2.1 Sriver 1.9
PLLsystem View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLLsystem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/11/2010 at 1:25pm
Virtuoso is based on the old Stiga combination Limba-Limba-Samba. The allround + racket got dark limba to upper ply called Expert
thethinker View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thethinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/11/2010 at 3:40pm
No offense but if the testing is just a few days (half week) I for one don't know if I can tell anything too much about the blade yet. If you mean one or two weeks...
PLLsystem View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLLsystem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/11/2010 at 3:46pm
PLLsystem View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLLsystem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/11/2010 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by thethinker thethinker wrote:

No offense but if the testing is just a few days (half week) I for one don't know if I can tell anything too much about the blade yet. If you mean one or two weeks...

We have been testing for 1.5 year. Just ask what are you interested in?
Gr8GrZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gr8GrZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/11/2010 at 5:46pm
I meant 1 to 2 weeks.
fzolesz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fzolesz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/11/2010 at 5:53pm
Hi everyone

This my first post here and I liked to read yours.
Because of Palatinus blades I start to comment here as well as in hungarian MyTT www.ppko.hu ,pllsystem's page.
;)

what about me?I've been playing for 15 years,spin oriented mid distance looper, or close to the table hitter if needed :) I like topsin rallies far from the table..

So after glue ban decided to change my old Johannson stiga to a faster blade like most of players did.
I Have tried more than 50 blades (energy wood,Donic WSC,TBALC,TBS,Korbel,Fuga ...etc.) for shorter or longer period, and after some BTY classic(Forte, primorac) I found a BOMB :)
This is palatinus blade!!
I have had three before in shorter time but
could'nt made a deal them, because i don't like walnut wood (offensive stiga replica) nor koto (mentioned Kosiba 's blade) as much as Limba.
I had some ideas what am looking for but I was informed there will be some new models soon the OSP standards...I've been waiting and i got what i really wanted.

I've tested the three models Expert,Virtuoso and Ultimate.I decided to use OFF- further.

So I've been using my own Virtuoso ST for almost 2 months.
These is suits me well, I've tried it with Donic Coppa gold,Joola Ph�nix and T05(oil tuned) and now with T64.
It has crisp feeling and good sweet spot with tenergy for me.
I can loop with lots of spin, but I can made hard topspins as well far from the table as well.
There is no problem to make short receives or flick. If you are topspin oriented player not just a hitter but with lots of spin Virtouso is yours.
The most important for me these blades have the feel of oldstiga's but matches with the modern style of TT.
I like the feedbacks it doesn't vibrate it kicks tothe ball a hard if you want but it is still delicate if you shorten.
All of these OSP blades dropp,or block shots are excellent and also unpleasant for your partner.

About three months earlier I took a record with playing the OSP expert with tenergy05/coppa gold...I uploaded it to a videosite...if You want I can show it later ;)

I wrote longer tests for palatinus and pllsystem later may you can read them on the website.

I hope my post has helped..but just feel free to ask ;)
OSP VIRTUOSO AC (L=159 mm)( Aramid/Carbon)

FH: Tenergy 80
BH: Tenergy 80
Boosted with Falco long

OSP Blades

takacslaci View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takacslaci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/11/2010 at 6:46pm
I've tried OSP Expert and Ultimate for some hours of training, with a pair of Tenergy 05 and with a pair of Joola Express X-plode . The Expert is relative flexible, and is good for "normal", and "special" topspin movement players too. It had a high throw topspin with Joola Express X-plode, and spinny topspin. I did't find it good with Tenergy, in my opinion, it is not rigid enough for it. With X-plode, or with glued Sriver-Fx, for example, you can use your wrist a lot, the blade will respond, and do what you've imagined.
With the ultimate, this is just the opposite. The Ultimate is rigid, not flexible, but really fast, if you hit the ball hard. In the first minutes my shortening strokes had gone into the net. In some ways this blade was better for Tenergy, than with the X-plode, in my opinion, but it was a bit heavy. You must have really good footwork, if you want to play with the Ultimate, and you must be brave in offense. Than, you can hit very effective shots and point-winning topspins with good spin.
Both blade are good in their playing style category.
ejmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/11/2010 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by Peter C Peter C wrote:

The Virtuoso is a well balanced 5.7mm thick, offensive minus 5 ply blade; weighing around 86-88 grams. It's one of three standard handmade blades, made by Oldstiga; in their OSP range.

With regard to build quality; it's a handmade blade built by a master craftsman and built to a higher standard than mass produced blades. There are also some nice touch's; which you appreciate, when you get to play with it.

The shoulders have been rounded off, which is something that the twiddlers  who tried it, appreciated.

The rounded straight handle is solid; very comfortable in the hand and has a light coat of varnish on it, which helps prevent the penetration of sweat into the handle.

Handle dimensions are close to the Stiga Peter handle, with the exception of the chamfer at the top of the handle, which is slightly bigger; than the chamfer on the Peter handle of my 6.8mm Clipper wood.

As a result, I find it more comfortable in the hand, than the Clipper Wood's peter handle.

So how does the Virtuoso play?

The bounce test revealed it has a better feel to it than any modern Stiga I've played in the last few years; which isn't a surprise, as it's described as playing like the old Stiga woods and it definitely lives up to that tag.

The Virtuoso is like a newer version of those old Stiga's, with the same good feel; but built to a higher standard and designed for use with Tenergy and other modern rubbers.

It's a versatile blade and I must admit, i do like the way this blade feels and plays. it is fun to play with.

If I had to compare it to blades people are familiar with, I'd say it possesses the good control, of the Samsonov Alpha and Xiom Fuga, but with a better feel and a better overall performance too.

True it will cost you more than an equivalent mass produced blade; but you get what you pay for; i.e. a high quality hand made offensive minus blade, that has a great feel to it and delivers where it really matters,; i.e. in the way it plays.

p.s. The other two blades that make up the OSP range are:

1) a 5.4mm 5 ply allround plus blade; around 85 grams, which i don't know the name of and only have basic details of.

2) the Ultimate, which is a 5.9mm thick 7 ply offensive blade weighing around 90 grams or more.

I would describe it a modern update of the classic thinner Clipper, with the same good feel and designed for use with Tenergy and other modern rubbers.

The Ultimate I have weighs 94 grams and it's a more versatile blade; than either of my modern 6.8mm Clipper Woods.

Whilst I think the modern Clipper Wood is a good blade; it's not the equal of the Ultimate; when it comes to feel, build quality or performance; particularly when looping.

I've always considered the Donic Persson Powerplay Senso V1, a better looping blade than the Clipper Wood and the Ultimate in my opinion, outperforms that blade too.

Why? because it performs better with Chinese rubber like TG3 Neo than the Donic blade does.

Like the Virtuoso , the Ultimate is a pleasure to play with too and if I was to choose between them, I'll probably settle on the Ultimate as it is better suited to my game.

Either way, the Virtuoso and Ultimate both have a lot to offer those who are prepared to pay the extra, to own and enjoy playing with a quality hand made blade.

People keep buying what they heard about.

About Palatinus wood blades, most of the impressions related to quality and feeling in the sense of old stigas in the post above, were told before. It is difficult to find better classic wood blades in the market. And it is a pleasure to play with those blades.

EJ Club.

MM T05(fh)/Srvfx(bh); InfVps,LSW,Viscaria,RwV,TBAlc,PG7,yextsc,yeo. EJmaster wood.
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/11/2010 at 10:33pm
Ejmaster, have you tried the Virtuoso? could you please compare Virtuoso with Acoustic/Violin/Korbel?
Interms of Speed, control and feel.

Andro Wanokiwami AO Offensive 83 gr
H3 National Orange 40 deg 2.2
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 54>
  Share Topic