Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

blade design in Nexy! - IKARUS - for long pips

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Nexy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nexy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: blade design in Nexy! - IKARUS - for long pips
    Posted: 06/16/2010 at 10:11am

Here is the picture of IKARUS. 

I will start to write how I designed this blade here.

Brand Manager of NEXY
Sponsored Links

geotjakra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geotjakra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2010 at 10:31am
Looks like one side has carbon and the other side is allwood! that should be good for a player who twidle!
ThaiLe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThaiLe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2010 at 12:11pm
I can't wait to hear more about this one.
Any spec info yet?  Such as weight, thickness, and dimensions.

metallikviper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metallikviper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2010 at 1:52pm
I play with long pips (usually OX) and this could be a great blade for modern defenders who want the speed and dwell on the FH side while having a slow, controlled and confusing (at times) BH side. I have owned a couple of combination blade but never really liked them as the speed difference was insignificant i.e. Hallmark Aurora, Dr. Neubauer Combination and more recently Giant Dragon Kris (which I personally like - but no carbon).

Can you please describe the ply structure (thickness and type) and preferably how it plays with long pips?
Nittaku Vioncello FL
FH: Donic Acuda S2 Max
BH: TSP P1-R 1.1mm
Tobhik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tobhik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2010 at 11:38pm
@ Nexy,

I am waiting......

BTW, I am using a large size blade for my close to the table style LP OX blocker.
Would be happy if Nexy could design a special large size blade that very very slow but have high effect with LP OX at BH side and the FH side is fast, good for looping and good control. (please google and search about the newly invented TACHI blade that is famous now for tibhar grass d.tecs user). It uses a thick balsa core with very thin hard outer layer on BH side that give a braking effect for blocking with OX LP.
LP ox
Nexy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nexy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2010 at 6:58am
Thank you for all the curious questions.

I prefer to give you an answer to all by starting writing how I designed this blade, and I wish you could find all the answers following my story.

1. How I learned about long pimple rubbers.

When I was in the university, I joined table tennis club. And in that club, I had to follow harsh internal rules. I had to do form-training, that's what we called, which means I had to train my swing form in front of a big mirror inside of our club room more than one tousand times a day every week days for one month before I can let my blade touch a ball.
While I do that mirror training, a lot of senior players kept on criticizing on my swinging movement without a ball, and that was not enjoyable at all.
After that, I could start "many balls training" which means I could not play with a person and I only have to hit the balls coming from senior player's one-side tossing from a ball basket.
That took more than 2 months,then we could start playing with a real person. And it took about a year before I could start looping, of course after many months of chopping training.
So, basically, our club has it's own style. it was like a total training program built up by many years of it's own history.

So, basically, it took a year before I could decide what kind of style I would choose.

Anyway, after that hard one year, I started looping training.
And some senior players thought that it would be great if they could have one defensive player in our club which will help that every one can get better trainings.

So, they picked me up, and I was not sure what it would be like, but I took the offer.
I thought it would be cool if I could be a good defensive player, but my playing character was very much aggresive even at that time.

By the way, at that time, there was very few who could play with shake hand blade, and more than 95% were Japanese Penholder players.
Moreover, it was extermely difficult to meet a defensive player.
So, how could I ever be able to learn how to play in a defensive way?
First I had to switch from Japanese pen holder to shake hand blade.
Then I had to learn defensive style, which was totally new and different from what I had been doing.

I started to study, and I watched videos a lot, because I could not have any other souce of trainings, and even those things were not easy to get.
I read all the stuffs I could get, and I started to study long pimple rubbers, and also short pimples, anti-spin.... and whole new blades.

At that time, we did not have good information that it wasn't easy to train a defensive player in such surroundings, and I did not know I was not suitable to become one.

It took 2 years that I finally came to a decision that I could not become one good defensive players.

It was very important matter at that time.
I was a student, but I spent 3 ~ 7 hours a day in playing table tennis.
(I was not a good player compared with other players in my club, but I really liked playing)
Actually, our club has only 2~4 players per one year, because it's not possible to find that much crazy-in-table tennis guys more than that among 4,000 new students in one year.

When I decided to turn back to offensive playing style, everything I learned became opposite way. I trid really hard to go downward and backward, but I had to make it upward and forward if I wanted to become offensive player again.

So, that's the brief story I first leaned table tennis and how I got to know long pimple rubbers and lots of blades.

Anyway, it's already quite old story.

2. How long pimple out rubbers came into Korea

When I entered this market, Korea started to experience new challenge.
For many years, amatuer tournaments did not allow long pips players to participate in local amateur tournaments in Korea.
There could be lots of reasons for that, but little by little, people started to use more and more long pips, and the association could not prevent all those long pips players from participating in those tournaments.
So, there came out that more and more tournaments allowed long pimple out players to play in those matches.

It was very shocking situation for normal amature players that they had to play against long pips players in the local tournaments.
There happened lots of arguments in many ways, but population using long pips burst out to increase.
Maybe it's around 2002~2004.
And I started my table tennis business in 2005.

I came to know , little by little, Hallmark and Dr. Neubauer, new long pimple out rubbers  blades. And all the new rubbers became big challenges for me.
I had to find out how I could play against those new rubbers, and also I had to find out how I could sell those new rubbers and long pips blades.

I happened to associate with some disabled players, and I could get lots of new experiences from them also.
I became Tibhar agent in 2006 and I started to think that I could make a new kind of long pimple blade.

That's how I started to design a blade for the first time.
I co-worked with one guy, and we came up with a new idea about long-pimple our rubbers-oriented blades.
That's how we released a blade named "Musiro" in Korean market.
I designed one-ply carbon structure, and the size of the blade was done by another partner, Joo In Baek.
(He is now sick, and I'm really sorry about that.)

Here is the picture of that blade.

A B C D E F G
162 99.11 261 29 26 155 8

You can meet the blade here. : 

That blade was a big success in Korea.
And I was quite satisfied with the function of that blade.

In 2007, I tried another blade, which is faster than the first one, and it was named Mi-Large.

That became another legendary blade in Korean market.

Those two blades were produced by Tibhar, and I'm really proud of those two blades.

If I start to explain how I designed those two blades, then it would become another long story, so I would not explain that here.
But anyway, those two blades are the father of IKARUS of NEXY.

Here is the second Long Pimple out rubber blade, Mi-Large

A B C D E F G
161 99 260 28.8 28.4 155 8.5

You can meet this blade here :

I will write more in the next article.

Brand Manager of NEXY
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2010 at 10:57am
Folks at OOAK might be especially interested in that story and blade.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2010 at 8:00pm
the ikarus look very nice
Nexy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nexy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/19/2010 at 4:32am
3. How I came up with one-ply carbon blade idea?

In 2006, Long pimple rubber market was big.
There came out lots of new products for long pimple rubber blockers.

(I will discriminate here two types of players with different terms.

LONG PIPS BLOCKER : players who mostly use ox rubbers and stay close to the table, and not do big swing chopping away from the table like Joo Se Huyk or Park Mi Young. For an examle, Dr. Neaubauer will be long pips blocker in my writing.

DEFENSIVE PLAYER : I will use this term for traditionally accepted deffensive players, like Joo Se huyk.)

At that time, all the issues were related with thos long pips blockers.
Korean amateur TT association did not allow long pips for many years, and people did not know how to play with them.

So, suddenly, it became a magicall technique with whcih you can become better player.
People started to buy various kinds of rubbers and blades to test.
So, the market became bigger with those special rubbes and blades.

And I was in the center of that trend.
I was the first one who contacted Hallmark, and I imported Hallmark stuffs to Korea.

But I could not be sure what is the real secret about those long pips gear.
Now I have one good long pimple our rubber, which is called Chaos, but it was not easy to come up here.
I studied, tested and visited a lot.
It will not be a short story.

Any way, as far as I know, Balsa was very good mateial for this kind of blade. It was amazing that balsa has not been popular in this market for so long years. This mateial is good, and it has obvious uniqueness.

But the thing is, normally those long pips blockers are very different from other general players.
We can not easily guess that there could be one player who usually attacks only on his forehand, and usually block of defend on his back hand, if it were not for OX long pimple out rubber.

It's apparent that if you are playing with pimple in rubbers on both hands, then you try to attack as much as you can.
But this new style I met in the market tends to focus on blocking or pushing, mainly close to the net, up one the table, and for the other side they need very powerful smash or top spin.

So, I found out it's a mixure of extremely opposite characters in one blade.

On one side, you need to have very good control, and the blade has to grab the ball deep and make the ball tremble when it returns, and for the other side, it has to be very powerful and speedy.

That was simple matter.
If I can mix two different blades, one side very spinny and controllable, the other side very powerful and speedy, then it would be great.

So, that's how I started to design this kind of new blades.

I gave two different blade designs to Tibhar and Hallmark.

After three years, Hall mark's long pips blades are all gone, and several Tibhar blades are left.
But those two blades were very much successful.
Actually, I was quite sure of this before I started to sell.
It could not be away from the ideal character of that style, long pips blockers.

When I startd to design it, it was not very simple.
If I place the carbon layer on one side only, then the blade can be twisted after some time. And the feeling is not in harmony on both sides.
And after several test, I decided to place that carbon layer one third from on side.
And there I found out good balance and effect matched well.

After those two blades' success, when I started Nexy, I thought of a new kind blade again.
Now ITTF does not allow Boomerang or Oiginal, then we have to find a new style for those long pips blockers.
When the frustration and woobeling is not big enough, then with what people can make use of their style to win the match?

So, I thought maybe I need to sow something different to let people think the other way.

That's how I made this new kind of long pips blade.

Little bit slower basically on back hand side, but compared with other general modles, this is very fast on both sides.

Size became smaller, and the handle became extremely comfortable to make a quick and agile movement.

When you grab this blade, you can feel the energy urges you to be more attcking even though you are flanked with long pips rubbers.
And it's very easy to play quick an smart close to the net.

I.E,.... this blade turns you something differnet...more attacking, faster, aggresive.

That's what I wanted with this blade, after the non-coating policy from ITTF.

I will write more later.

Brand Manager of NEXY
opinari View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opinari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/19/2010 at 5:22am
Thank you very much for the wonderful information, Nexy! I had seen the Tibhar blades before, but I had no idea that you also helped develop their design.
TTHOUSTON View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TTHOUSTON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2010 at 10:24am
Nexy,
Do you think this blade is working fine with long pip Feint II with 0.5mm?
I'm just order one from your website today.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2010 at 10:49am

TTHouston Nexy will certainly fill you in personally, but here is a few infos I learned from my visit to Nexy HQ today. The Ikarus was designed for LP OX BH / Offensive inverted FH Shakehand players who stand close to the table, block/flick/punch with OX LP and attack with with FH inverted at the first good chance. (There are 5 women who are VERY GOOD at this style in my club who can skulldrug some unsuspecting "Victims" with this style.) Although it is a defensive style of its own, it is also an offensive style, which is entirely different from Modern Defenders (like Joo, S.H.) and classic defenders (away from the table chop, chop, til you drop types)

I will see if it can work out as a chopping and counter attacking weapon This close to the table style defends (on BH), but it is designed to be disruptive and take away time/judgement of ball. These close to the table players also jump like crazy at the first chance to rip a FH by you. So, although it is a defensive style, it is also a very aggressive attacking mentalityy different from other types of defenders.  

The description and idea of the Ikarus really piqued my interest, although I am not a serious LP player, I sometimes use an LP kit to see what they do to learn how to play against them better when I run into LP wielding opponents. There are a good number of older gents here in Korea who use LP OX on the back of their J-Pen or C-Pen and a LOT of female players who play the style Nexy designed the Ikarus for.

I just got an Ikarus from NEXY tonight with Chaos LP 1.0 and Demain Max rubbers in the package. I will soon slap this kit together and see how it goes. I will try a close to the table LP blocking/FH attacking style, and an LP chop / FH counterloop/countersmash style (Kinda like a Modern Defender, but I don't quite have enough chopping skills to pull it off for more than a few chops before having to attack and I prefer to be a meter out from the table to time my countersmashing) for a spell at my club tomorrow. I have a couple LP kits I sometimes break out at my club for the second style for fun, one in .6, one in 1.0 sponge. If I do not do well using this style, I will hand the kit over to one of the club experts and be on the other end of action trying to defeat it.

I will post my test results with the 1.0 Chaos/Max Demain a little later when I get a chance to put it together and test drive it some.
metallikviper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metallikviper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2010 at 11:05am
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

TTHouston Nexy will certainly fill you in personally, but here is a few infos I learned from my visit to Nexy HQ today. The Ikarus was designed for LP OX BH / Offensive inverted FH Shakehand players who stand close to the table, block/flick/punch with OX LP and attack with with FH inverted at the first good chance. (There are 5 women who are VERY GOOD at this style in my club who can skulldrug some unsuspecting "Victims" with this style.) Although it is a defensive style of its own, it is also an offensive style, which is entirely different from Modern Defenders (like Joo, S.H.) and classic defenders (away from the table chop, chop, til you drop types)

I will see if it can work out as a chopping and counter attacking weapon This close to the table style defends (on BH), but it is designed to be disruptive and take away time/judgement of ball. These close to the table players also jump like crazy at the first chance to rip a FH by you. So, although it is a defensive style, it is also a very aggressive attacking mentalityy different from other types of defenders.  

The description and idea of the Ikarus really piqued my interest, although I am not a serious LP player, I sometimes use an LP kit to see what they do to learn how to play against them better when I run into LP wielding opponents. There are a good number of older gents here in Korea who use LP OX on the back of their J-Pen or C-Pen and a LOT of female players who play the style Nexy designed the Ikarus for.

I just got an Ikarus from NEXY tonight with Chaos LP 1.0 and Demain Max rubbers in the package. I will soon slap this kit together and see how it goes. I will try a close to the table LP blocking/FH attacking style, and an LP chop / FH counterloop/countersmash style (Kinda like a Modern Defender, but I don't quite have enough chopping skills to pull it off for more than a few chops before having to attack and I prefer to be a meter out from the table to time my countersmashing) for a spell at my club tomorrow. I have a couple LP kits I sometimes break out at my club for the second style for fun, one in .6, one in 1.0 sponge. If I do not do well using this style, I will hand the kit over to one of the club experts and be on the other end of action trying to defeat it.

I will post my test results with the 1.0 Chaos/Max Demain a little later when I get a chance to put it together and test drive it some.

Really looking forward to your review. Since you have the blade can describe what kind of wood is used in the construction preferably with the thickness. I too play both styles depending on the opponent. I prefer to play a modern defensive game, chopping from away and looping/counter-hitting when the opportunity arises. But, when playing a player who doesn't loop much I have to resort to blocking and hitting with the pips and I'm not very comfortable with that style of play. I have tried various blades including combination blades but could never have a good blockers set-up. Hopefully this blade would be the Holy Grail.Wink
Nittaku Vioncello FL
FH: Donic Acuda S2 Max
BH: TSP P1-R 1.1mm
Nexy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nexy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2010 at 11:22am
Originally posted by TTHOUSTON TTHOUSTON wrote:

Nexy,
Do you think this blade is working fine with long pip Feint II with 0.5mm?
I'm just order one from your website today.
Yes, and I also want to recommend my CHAOS rubber with 0.5mm.
You will find yourself much more attaching than before.
My IKARUS jointed with Chaos 0.5mm will lead you to be more aggresive.

Brand Manager of NEXY
Nexy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nexy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2010 at 11:32am
Just to make the concept of IKARUS clearer, I add some more personal comment here.

Ikarus is aiming to satisfy who use long pimple out rubbers on his back hand side, and use pimple in rubbers on his forehand side, I mean push blocker as BH-man taught me today, but I thought I would add some variation to the general push blocker's style.

So, I made the blade size not very big, but I made it very fast, so overall character is quick and fast.
So, when you use this blade, you need to try more looping with your forehand, and also with your back hand, you need to try more push and smash, not only blocking.

Therefore, if you expect the general kind of blades for push blockers, then I would recommend Musiro or Milarge, and those are also very good, but if you want to become more attcking, then you can choose Ikarus.

And Chaos is also the same way.
It is good for attcking.
You feel very comfortable.
The non elastic sponge make you very comfortable to switch into abrupt accacking to surprise your opponent.

I think those two NEXYs will make good combination together.

More comment will come later from BH-man, but he today took 1.0mm, so it will be little bit different from what I meant...anyway, he would test it, and I want to hear that opinion too.

Brand Manager of NEXY
TTHOUSTON View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TTHOUSTON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2010 at 12:19pm
Thank you very much for all of your comment. I am a looper, and always staying close at table. I like attack both side as modern defense. I will buy your chaos next time for try. I don't want switch blade and pip at same time.
Is your Chaos pip same with Tihar Chaos pip?

BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2010 at 1:07pm
Nexy is right about my choice of Chaos LP to try out. He designed the blade to go with OX LP. I do not play very well with OX LP, so I selected 1.0, because I am much more comfortable attacking with LP that has sponge, more the better, whether it is an LP hit or a loop that has considerable less spin than a loop with an inverted rubber. I also like the extra sponge for chopping, although I don't have the skills or patience to chop 5-7 balls before getting a ball to pounce on. I can only chop like 1, 2 or 3 incoming topspins max before going for the sudden power counter with the inverted, (from a sneaky twiddle) or putaway with the LP if it is loose and high on BH side. I sometimes try to loop with the LP if I get a bottomspin return on the side of my LP. Again, I am no LP warrior, I just have a couple of the outfits that I use once in a while to keep in touch with how an LP player uses them, so I can be better prepared to face those players. It is also a load of fun when you get it right.

Maybe Tatlwai from OOAK could check this thread out as he is a quick hit monster attacker with LP.
Nexy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nexy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/22/2010 at 8:46am

Thank you very much for all of your comment. I am a looper, and always staying close at table. I like attack both side as modern defense. I will buy your chaos next time for try. I don't want switch blade and pip at same time.
Is your Chaos pip same with Tihar Chaos pip?

Thank you for the inquiry.
But when I designed Chaos, I did not have information about Tibhar's Chaos. If I had knewn it, then I would not have that name on my rubber.
So I can not give information on that.

Any way, my Chaos is good if you try to push quick to turn the ralley into your attack. And you don't need to be worried much about blocking close to the net also, because my rubber with 0.5mm or 1.0mm sponge, you can make the returning ball doesn't go far away the table.

I hope you can meet a real new effect with my rubber.

Brand Manager of NEXY
Thomasson View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomasson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/22/2010 at 9:32am
Yesterday I recommended a defender at my club to check out this blade, he cant decide whether to stick to defending or switch to attacking. I told him with this blade he can do both (modern defending).

I dont know if hes going to try it but I will atleast show him the quality of the Spear blade and might convince him that way.

Even I get enthousiastic about trying the Ikarus with a Nexy Chaos some day :D
Blade: TB ALC
FH: Tenergy05 2.1
BH: Tenergy64 1.7
Nexy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nexy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/22/2010 at 5:49pm
There is one small tip.

Some people want to know how big is the differance between two sides.
If the differance is too big, then it might feel uncontrollable.

There needs to be moderate balance on each side, that's how I insert carbon on one third depth.
Brand Manager of NEXY
Chopper88 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/22/2010 at 7:25pm
Where can we buy some of this blades?
Nexy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nexy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/22/2010 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by Chopper88 Chopper88 wrote:

Where can we buy some of this blades?

Please, visit www.nexy.com.

www.nexy.com
Brand Manager of NEXY
TTHOUSTON View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TTHOUSTON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2010 at 7:27am
The reason I use Feint long II because other pips are easy break the leg. I am so tired to replace after few practice. Chinese pips are the number one easy break the pip's leg, next is Purl-3r (I forgot how to spell the name).
Nexy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nexy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2010 at 9:11am

The reason I use Feint long II because other pips are easy break the leg. I am so tired to replace after few practice. Chinese pips are the number one�easy break the pip's leg, next is Purl-3r (I forgot how to spell the name).

Yes, I think that will match well also.
I know one coach in Korea using feint with ikarus and he told me that it's good combination for back hand attack.
Brand Manager of NEXY
Nexy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nexy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2010 at 8:49am
Here goes another story about IKARUS.

4. Long Pimple Attachker???

When I design IKARUS with my new brand name NEXY, I thought it was very obvious that I had to find some character it it.
If IKARUS is similiar with other general long pimple out player's blades, then it would not be outstanding enough to attract players interests. on my new brand NEXY.
So, I felt I had to find something new.
It was not about being better.
Rather, it was about being different.

So, I studied the market.
What's the demand from long pimple out rubber players?

(In this article, I would categorize Long Pimple Out Rubber Players into three different categories.
Classical defender, modern defender and LP push blocker.
And mainly I'll be dealing with the last one, LP push blocker here.)

When ITTF had no restriction about LP rubbers, lots of players used to play with coated rubbers.
But now those frictionless rubbers are not acceptable any more.
So, there could not be prominent LP effects as much as was before by coated rubbers.

And also, many people have become more accustomed to LP push blockers now.
It's very sure that now many Korean players have got more accustomed to LP rubbers.
Specially high level players came to know little by little that they have to find some more if they want a perfect and stable winnings agaist another high level players.

It has become very serious problem for most LP push blockers, that they can not win easily any longer now.
There has to be way out.

So, I found some hint for my next step.

I studied Korean high level LP push blockers.
And I found out they tend to play with normal offensive blades.
They don't play with bigger sized LP blades.

I interviewed with them.
And I asked what they want more.

They knew that LP blades made bigger wobbling.
But those big blades are generally not very fast.
And those big size does not make quick movement on the table.

So, the answer was clear.
I had to make a blade with big wobbling effect, but faster than normal LP blades, and that has to be smaller in it's size.
That's how I made IKARUS as such.

Of course IKARUS has gone through lots of tests in Korea.
I made several different versions of it, and I gave them to many good players, and I analysed each sample test.
And today's IKARUS has very confortable handle, good grip, big spin and power.
You will be fast as much as normal off blade on your fore hand side, and very stable on your back hand side, when you block.

By the way, when I design my IKARUS, I designed Chaos together.
I thought this rubber has to match my blade IKARUS perfectly, even though choice is not mine.
I found out 0.5mm non elastic sponge is the best combination for normal LP push blockers, so I first released only that size.
But people wated to have other sizes, and now I have other sizes too.

This rubber has good wobbling effect.
It has long column, and the sheet is very thin.
So, this thin sheet makes the long pimple can exert it's full effect.

I think this combination will be very interesting for most players.

Thank you for reading through my long story.

I want to be more detail, but I don't have more energy now.
I will come back with other blade later.

Brand Manager of NEXY
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2010 at 12:40pm
A Couple quick results from my hit with IKARUS today.

1.0 sponge for me doesn't work for a close to the table blocking game. (for me at least) I missed a lot of the blade angles. I was not happy with that result. I should have tried it out in .5 or OX like Nexy recommends, even if it had a learning curve.

1.0 CHAOS flicks like crazy good on serves. I never had this much fun going for flicks on serves. I never flicked such a percentage of balls in like this.

1.0 CHAOS hits on attack with good pace for an LP all those loose balls to whatever side you have the LP on. Saves a lot of footwork.

Blade is light and a step away from the table blocks can have some interesting effects if you don't use much of a chop stroke. I managed some funky returns a half to one step out.

I let a female coach (she would be USATT 2400 easily) try it and she chopped my FH loops on time and BH flicked/drived ball after ball past me on wide BH.
TTHOUSTON View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TTHOUSTON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2010 at 12:57pm
very interesting info from BH-Man. Let us know when you put 0.5mm on your new blade. I did not receive my blade yet.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2010 at 10:36pm
My only other LP I have is also 1.0 (Neptune). I will have to get some .5 or .6 LP and try it out for the close to the table push blocking / punch blocking offensive style.
Nexy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nexy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2010 at 10:53pm
Hello,

I have one news.
Now I'm running a special promotion event for Chaos and Ikarus.
Please visit the linked page in the below.

http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=12790

In the upper page, you can also challenge for free blade and a rubber.
So, please, come in and check.

Brand Manager of NEXY
TTHOUSTON View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TTHOUSTON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2010 at 6:37pm
Nexy,
I bought Ikarus blade a day ago, so do I have free Choas?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic