FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Number 25: The Tenergy Stepchild.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Anton Chigurh View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Number 25: The Tenergy Stepchild.
    Posted: 06/16/2010 at 3:33pm
There's so much chatter about T05 and T64. Love 'em or hate 'em, everyone seems to have an opinion.

However, little is said about T25. A few people I know of don't care for it. Boz says it's one of Butterfly's biggest mistakes. But I was playing with it last night and I love it. Basically, it has all the attributes I like in XIOM Vega Pro but to a much larger degree. 

Low throw, fast, spinny, hard feel.

I'm curious: Why is it so seemingly overlooked? For those who have tried it, why don't you like it?

Granted, I play somewhat close to the table--very rarely am I more than two meters away; in fact, I'm usually within one meter. So for those who play mid to long distance, I understand why the higher throw of T05 and T64 are better suited to you. But not everyone plays at that distance.

Are there any "closet" T25 users out there? What do you enjoy about it?

Sponsored Links

Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2010 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by Anton Chigurh Anton Chigurh wrote:

There's so much chatter about T05 and T64. Love 'em or hate 'em, everyone seems to have an opinion.

However, little is said about T25. A few people I know of don't care for it. Boz says it's one of Butterfly's biggest mistakes. But I was playing with it last night and I love it. Basically, it has all the attributes I like in XIOM Vega Pro but to a much larger degree. 

Low throw, fast, spinny, hard feel.

I'm curious: Why is it so seemingly overlooked? For those who have tried it, why don't you like it?

Granted, I play somewhat close to the table--very rarely am I more than two meters away; in fact, I'm usually within one meter. So for those who play mid to long distance, I understand why the higher throw of T05 and T64 are better suited to you. But not everyone plays at that distance.

Are there any "closet" T25 users out there? What do you enjoy about it?

I used the tenergy 25 for three months. IMHO it's just like you say medium low throw, fast spinny and hard feel rubber. It's great for smashing and punch blocking. Opening loops are very spinny. It's great for serving and pushing. What I didn't like about it was sensitivy to spin on passive shots.
tdragon View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2010 at 4:20pm
I keep switching T05 and T25 last couple months. For me, if you like better control and play close to the table, then T25 would be better fit. T25 plays more like chinese rubber (in term of hard medium sponge), so if you play chinese style, it would be good fit.
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2010 at 4:35pm
try looping heavy underspin and get back to me =). because i've tried with t25 and it's not workin at all.
www.youtube.com/gsutabletennis
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2010 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by Skyline Skyline wrote:

... What I didn't like about it was sensitivy to spin on passive shots.

LOL  Yes... I had that exact same problem with T05. Since, to me, T25 seems to be XIOM Vega Pro on steroids, I'll stick with the more forgiving Vega Pro for the next few months. This summer I plan on practicing non-stop so I'm sure I'll blow through my two sheets of Pro after a few months, at which point I'll re-evaluate my progress and perhaps give the greater demands of T25 a try. 

bumpernets19 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumpernets19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2010 at 4:39pm
i think I might have done one review about t25 right when I signed up for mytt, but nobody seemed to care or even respond to it. It was my favorite rubber, but when it died, I just never went back to it for the price. Much better than 05 and 64 both in my opinion, and more durable as well. Maybe when I get adjusted to the blade I'll try it again.
Rating: 1232
Xiom Zetro Quad
Hurricane 3 FH
Hexer + BH
MildSeven View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MildSeven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2010 at 4:47pm
The reason you don't hear about it on this forum is because its content is overwhelmed by the disproportionate posts of the usual suspects/active circle/frequent users or whatever you want to call the people who are most vocal here.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2010 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by MildSeven MildSeven wrote:

The reason you don't hear about it on this forum is because its content is overwhelmed by the disproportionate posts of the usual suspects/active circle/frequent users or whatever you want to call the people who are most vocal here.

Do you have any input on T25? Are you, or were you a user? Big%20smile

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2010 at 4:51pm
Because the pips in are so much more apart from each other it makes the hitting more reliable even if loop capabilities are tuned down a bit.
For (relatively) slow movers who have a hard time positioning for a fh loop (especially after the first loop coming back), quick hitting is a solution and T25 is the key: looping is still OK while hitting is vastly improved.
For example I can see a 7ply blade with 1.9mm T25 be a great FH weapon for a player between 1700 and 2000  who does not move super fast.
MildSeven View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MildSeven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2010 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by Anton Chigurh Anton Chigurh wrote:

Originally posted by MildSeven MildSeven wrote:

Do you have any input on T25? Are you, or were you a user? Big%20smile

Yeah I was extremely vocal when it mattered, at the time of release. And I have been a user longer than pretty much everyone except a small handful of people here.

edit - oh, you meant user of the rubber. Yes, since release. But I will not repeat the long opinions of the rubber I gave a long time ago.

edit2 - I will repeat one thing though, this rubber is the best thing on the post glue market for the opening loop against backspin (potency wise) and it is pretty much as good or better than every other post-glue rubber at everything with only two drawbacks which can easily be adapted to if one chose to stick with the rubber: weight and throw angle from mid-long distance.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2010 at 8:37pm
MildSeven = the unsung hero of Tenergy 25. :o)

Anyone else want to come out of the closet and sing the praises of T25? Or secure your seat on the bandwagon by expounding upon its deficits?

smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2010 at 8:56pm
I think T25 could suffer from the fact that "No pro's use it therfore......."
but do it does sound good for at the table player .
also there are many alternative cheaper Chinese rubbers for this style.

I also like Figgies comments that it is a good hitting rubber, because thats been the real issue of me not trying Tenergy 05 (people say too springy for smashing)

What is the T25 like for return of service?
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
bull_harrier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bull_harrier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2010 at 9:11pm
I wrote a lengthy review of this rubber right after our state championships about a year and a half ago, that's what actually got me asked to be a moderator. From my personal experience with the three Tenergy rubbers this one is the strangest. When brand new this rubber is a beast. A very loud crack, very spinny loops, by far the lowest throw angle. The large pip structure I believe plays into all of these characteristics of the rubber. There is very little dwell time with this rubber compared to T05 & T64. For close to the table play, off the bounce looping this is a great rubber. Also good for punching and smashing. One thing that irked me about this rubber though is it's life. T05 & T64 break in well after about a month of use and really come alive once the topsheet and sponge soften up. I found T25 to be the opposite, as it aged it got much worse fast. The first month is really great but then after that it really starts to die and become progressively more difficult to use. You have to really put more into your strokes and really lift the ball because of the low throw angle. In the short game and serving this rubber is pretty good throughout its life, but the looping aspect of the game goes down the tubes. That's my two cents
Clipper CR WRB
FH: Boost TP
BH: Boost TP

My Biology/Physiology Learning Channel on Youtube
Best99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Best99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2010 at 9:59pm
Didn't any of you guys take a look at what Brian Pace wrote in this forum? He clearly says that is the worst tenergy BY FAR, due to its low relation speed of ths racket/speed of the stroke.
This means that there is a lot of energy loss when you hit the ball. He says it's because of its pimple's structure.
Blade: Timo Boll ALC 92 g.
Forehand: Tenergy 05 2.1 mm. (black)
Backhand: Tenergy 05 2.1 mm. (red).
Perfect loops
Thaidog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2010 at 10:17pm
Pace talks about T25:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89wBt30Xnts

A few good players at the Greenville, SC league play it... they all play close to the table style.
Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

Tenergy 64 FX National 2.1mm

He never boosts... of course he never had to...
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2010 at 10:23pm
Originally posted by Best99 Best99 wrote:

Didn't any of you guys take a look at what Brian Pace wrote in this forum? He clearly says that is the worst tenergy BY FAR, due to its low relation speed of ths racket/speed of the stroke.This means that there is a lot of energy loss when you hit the ball. He says it's because of its pimple's structure.

Honestly, I'm less concerned about what Brian Pace says than I am with what the average member here says. Pace plays at a level far above my own, or most of the people on this forum. Certainly he can notice subtleties that would be indistinguishable to most of us. If a bunch of 1400-1800 players say they love/hate T25, then chances are I'll feel the same. A simple example: WLQ allegedly uses Hammond Pro Beta on his backhand. He's a TT hero of mine, but I think that rubber is crap. Surely, if he does indeed use it, he can get things from it that I am unable to achieve. But, many people around my level suggested Roundell. I don't know of one pro who uses it, but it is by far my favorite backhand rubber I've tried.
Pongz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pongz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2010 at 10:27pm
Hi Anton,

I am another happy user of T25.. I have used it on my forehand edit- for about 6 months (it feels like a long time).... Like what you said, it is suitable for close table attack. Good for looping close to the table and definitely smash... However, as you go further behind, it feels not natural for the rubber... But with practice, once you know the rubber.. I guess we can all adjust...

I chose T25..
1stly, because I play close to the table.. 
2ndly, I need more help in smash stroke than looping stroke.. i.e. I am more comfortable with my looping than my smash stroke... that is why I chose T25... because it is so excellent in smashing...

3rdly, I found myself more consistent with a low throw rubber in my forehand. With a low throw rubber, when I loop an underspin and then try to follow it up with a smash... ..my swings will be quite vertical upwards to lift an underspin and then quite horizontal forwards to smash... the angle difference between the two strokes is quite large and I found it I don't get confuse by that... When I am using a high throw rubber, I found my muscle get confused between the two strokes aforementioned due to the smaller angle difference.. I have a weird problem..

I have T05 on my backhand.. the reason is because I don't have black T25.. if I have, I probably use T25 both sides... in my opinion, other than the obvious differences, T25 is more forgiving during pushing or chopping..

If I don't read the ball correctly during push/chop, T05 will pop the ball higher than T25.. That's my experience...

Like someone said, T25 feels like a bryce-glued but with tacky top sheet... low throw, easy for blocking, good for pushing... In my experience, I don't have a problem with underspin or sensitivity to spin for passive shot.. Maybe it is because I am used to with a chinese type rubber...      

Cheers
Butterfly Sardius
FH Donic Barracuda
BH Tibhar MX-P
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2010 at 10:43pm
Bull_harrier says in his opinion it has a short life.
What do the other users think?
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bull_harrier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2010 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by smackman smackman wrote:

What do you think?
Clipper CR WRB

Pongz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pongz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2010 at 11:05pm

I have used mine for more than 6 months...  While using T25, I have used a number of different blades, thus I have forgotten the original feeling..

As far as I'm concern I am still happy with my 6 months T25... In my opinion, it is durable and strong...  
Butterfly Sardius
FH Donic Barracuda
BH Tibhar MX-P
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2010 at 11:27pm
Originally posted by bull_harrier bull_harrier wrote:

What do you think?
I think I have never tried it before, and its good to listen to players that have used this rubber. ie some say T05 is good for 50 days and others thinks its perfectly great for a year. It sounds like my type of rubber but I don't want it be fade in 30 days (Im too stingy lol)
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2010 at 11:32pm
Thanks everyone for their info thus far. I feel like we've unearthed an important but relatively obscure artifact. LOL As stated, I thoroughly enjoy the T25 experience, which got me thinking about the fact that I hear little about it.

I'm glad to hear from both its supporters and detractors so that when/if I make the switch I'll have a decent idea of what to look out for. It sounds like so far most people who've used it share my opinion about its characteristics, but that there is a chance that it dies faster than other Tenergy rubbers--but even that's not completely clear.

Keep the info coming, if anyone has anything else to add.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bull_harrier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2010 at 11:38pm

What do you think?
I think I have never tried it before, and its good to listen to players that have used this rubber. ie some say T05 is good for 50 days and others thinks its perfectly great for a year. It sounds like my type of rubber but I don't want it be fade in 30 days (Im too stingy lol)

Haha understandable, when you're paying 50 bucks for a sheet of rubber I think stingy is acceptable. Like any other rubber it does change with age but from my experience (remember this is subjective) T25 suffers the worse with again. I made two sheets of T64 & T05 last for over a year and they still played pretty well, but it was time for change. T25 for me lost it's goods a little too much too quick. But I am also not a close to the table player, I'm a mid distance guy who likes to loop the crap out of the ball.
Clipper CR WRB

smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2010 at 12:06am

What do you think?

Haha understandable, when you're paying 50 bucks for a sheet of rubber I think stingy is acceptable. Like any other rubber it does change with age but from my experience (remember this is subjective) T25 suffers the worse with again. I made two sheets of T64 & T05 last for over a year and they still played pretty well, but it was time for change. T25 for me lost it's goods a little too much too quick. But I am also not a close to the table player, I'm a mid distance guy who likes to loop the crap out of the ball.
Thats good info ,many thanks
BMonkey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2010 at 12:11am
Judging by the descriptions of Tenergy 25 about being harder, good for close to the table play, more smashing and looping equally... I'd be very curious to see a side by side comparison review of Tenergy 25 vs. Spin Art.
Sallom89 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sallom89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2010 at 1:33am
Originally posted by BMonkey BMonkey wrote:

Judging by the descriptions of Tenergy 25 about being harder, good for close to the table play, more smashing and looping equally... I'd be very curious to see a side by side comparison review of Tenergy 25 vs. Spin Art.

They are not the same or even close, I used T25 for 2-3 months way back.. so I can't be precise. The throw of Spinart seems higher.. I dare to say spinart is softer, even when you smash you can feel the blade. with the massive pips of T25 you can't feel that the ball touches the blade.. on the other hand, spinart is very good with pushes (you can load them as your skill allows you), better at serves, higher spin when looping I believe and as good as T25 when receiving serves.. looping with it is a bit hard, you need to stick with the rubber to know it well.. while T25 is higher in control, and you can adapt easily..Spinart is also better at looping backspin balls, I'd say superior to T25 at being consistent with it.

Using T25 long time ago, way before getting developed on Amultart.. so you have to imagine how fast that was lol.
*Added: December 30, 2009, 07:53 PM

Using Spinart on HH656.
*Added: June 11, 2010, 01:35 PM

Member of Wang Hao fan club.

Hurricane Hao III
FH: Thors
RPB: Omega Pro
BMonkey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2010 at 1:47am
Your loops look much better with Spin Art. Though you seemed to have improved your technique too so maybe the Spin Art is better and so are you Smile 
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2010 at 2:14am
Originally posted by Sallom89 Sallom89 wrote:

I dare to say spinart is softer, even when you smash you can feel the blade. with the massive pips of T25 you can't feel that the ball touches the blade..

Spinart is much better on flexible and fast all-wood blade rather than on a carbon blade. Tried it on YMLC, YEO, TBS ZLC, PC to end up on a $4 paddle from the China-town market. May seem as extravagance, but is true...

T25 pimples are too fat for me...
bozbrisvegas View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2010 at 2:40am
Anton man, apart from Bull Harrier, why don't you guys do a search on this forum for the exact same topic?

Tenergy 25 the forgotten one has been and been and been.
I am a believer on building on what has been said instead of constantly repeating the same.

Unless you really believe those old threads about tenergy 25 have nothing to do with how people play with tenergy 25 than why don't you create a hyper thread where you do a big super hyper linked thread to all the tenergy 25 topics?

It would be great to see something new emerge.

I have suggested this about 6 months ago and got no response and well.... signature.
Grubba Variant ALL
fh: Hurricane 38 degrees MAX
bh: tensor MAX
Watch me playing TT
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2010 at 2:51am
Originally posted by bozbrisvegas bozbrisvegas wrote:

Anton man, apart from Bull Harrier, why don't you guys do a search on this forum for the exact same topic?

Tenergy 25 the forgotten one has been and been and been.

Thanks for the suggestion, boz. Actually, I've done the search on T25. The point of this thread is to revisit the topic as there seems to be few (if any) current comments on it. Such is not the case with the other Tenergy children. I was interested in who may be using it and it appears that at least a few people are. Honestly, based on what I've heard thus far, I'm still perplexed about why some people have been so dismissive of it or even hostile to it. With the exception of possible durability issues--which are mixed at best--it seems that it's a quite viable rubber that's simply more appealing to a niche market. I think I MAY be part of that niche, so hopefully you'll forgive me for once again broaching the topic.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic