Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T05 FX: A boz - High_Arc review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T05 FX: A boz - High_Arc review
    Posted: 06/17/2010 at 11:46am
Hi all,

got the new Butterfly Tenergy 05 FX rubbers today.

Updates will follow frequently.

First some pictures:

Weight: As you can see, the T05 FX is a bit lighter than the normal version.

Impressions before the first session: Just bouncing the ball on the racket and doing some backspin and let the ball jump off again.

Hardness: The FX is softer than the normal one, but certainly not as soft as some of the tensors produces by Joola and Donic. Quite a pleasant hardness for me I think.

Speed: Not as fast as the normal T05 I guess, but still pretty fast.

Catapult: The catapult effect is felt stronger, i.e. the impression of the catapult effect is more intense, which does not necessarily mean that it actually has more catapult.

Spin: It's not an anti-top, that's for sure. Probably easier to generate spin on slow balls.

The nicest thing I noticed is that the T05 FX has much more of a click sound than the normal T05.

So, going out for a first practice test. I'm really excited Big%20smile

First review (two hours of playing):

Well, I'm deeply impressed after the first session! The rubber plays extremely well, with loads of spin on loops, a nice click sound and a very strong catapult effect. It is a real pleasure to play with this rubber!!!

Coming from the regular T05, the main differences are the following:
-Softer
-Bouncier
-More dwell
-Slower when you hit really hard
-More spin on slow balls (first opening loops and so on)
-Much easier to block with it
-Easier to handle in general

Considering the above points, why would not everybody switch to the FX?
-It is slower
-It does not give you the same feeling of accuracy as the regular T05 does.
-Half-distance play needs more effort

I like the rubber on both forehand and backhand, and will most definitely keep it on the backhand. However, when I played the first match with it today, in the beginning all my pushes popped up high and "short" returns went long. I could adjust after about an hour or considering the length of my returns, but pushes popped up now and then during the whole session. Far off the table forehand counter loops ended in the net frequently due to the decreases speed. Backhand counter loops were great, because mine often went long with the regular T05.

For me certainly a great choice for the backhand. There I get the advantages of the T64 but not its disadvantages.

Impressions after second session:

First of all, the T05 FX will be my new backhand rubber, no doubt. I have not found anything about it on the backhand side which I don't like.

I played for about one hour against a machine, and for about another hour some matches against two different players. I play with both of them quite frequently, one is has quite a bit a lower level (no ranking because only the top 200 or so get a ranking), the other is quite a bit better (current number 15 in Switzerland), and I know their game well. However, the serves of the better player are often loaded with so much spin that I frequently used to make a direct mistake with T05 even if I read the spin correctly just because I misread the amount of spin. My ranking fluctuates in the Swiss top 100, but not below 60.

Playing against the machine (switch between T05 and T05 FX, see picture)

Actually both rubbers have similar characteristics. The FX has just a bit more dwell, and is a bit slower. Some may perhaps find the FX a bit mushy, but I don't, I actually find the T64 more mushy. It is certainly easier to loop bottom spin balls with the T05 FX than with the T05, but for now I can't tell whether this is due to a larger dwell, a smaller sensitivity to incoming spin or a higher throw. I guess it's not the last point because he rubber seems to have a lower throw than the regular T05 in all aspects. When I did some off the table counter looping against the machine (oh I love that so much), I found that there is a upper speed and spin limit of the rubber, which I have never experienced with the normal T05. But the limit is very high so that at my level I don't care.

In the matches, I noticed that I serve better with the FX. I felt more confident to put spin on short serves, because they did not go long as often experienced with the regular T05.

Against the player with a lower level, I performed pretty much the same as I would have with the normal T05. Though some unnecessary errors on first forehand loops due to the higher dwell, but nothing I can't get used to. I really liked how you can do touch shots with the rubber. Managed to do some nice short bottom side spin returns and found it good fun to use the catapult. Had some problems with flicking on the forehand side.

On the other hand I did better against the best player of our club than I ever have. Did less errors in the returns of his serves, where I dared to be more active. I blocked more balls than I usually would have. When he attacks, he always plays the balls there where I don't expect them, and the FX is much more forgiving for these kind of out-of-position blocks.

I don't know whether this is helpful or not...

By the way, I found the Jun Mizutani blade to be a perfect match to the T05 FX's.

I think the T05 FX rubber will be a huge success, because it is similar to the T05, but is not that difficult to handle. I often found the T05 working against me when facing better opponents, and I don't see that coming with the FX. I expect some pro's to use the T05 FX on the backhand, but I can't imagine that many would use it on the forehand, because it lacks the extreme power and top gear of the normal version.

More to follow...

Sponsored Links

peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2010 at 11:51am
So the weight of T05 Fx after cut is about 44-45 gr, while T05 is about 48-50 gr. High_Arc,What do you use to cut the rubber?
Andro Wanokiwami AO Offensive 83 gr
H3 National Orange 40 deg 2.2
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2010 at 11:54am
Originally posted by peter79 peter79 wrote:

So the weight of T05 Fx after cut is about 44-45 gr, while T05 is about 48-50 gr. High_Arc,What do you use to cut the rubber?

I used a pair of scissors and did not cut the rubbers precisely to the edge. Further I used a small to medium amount of water based glue.
Dafydd393 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dafydd393 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2010 at 11:55am
Nice pictures High_Arc, look forward to you're review.

Is it just me, or does the sponge look more orange compared to normal T05 or was that just the lighting when you took the photos? 
Blade - Ma Lin Extra Offensive FL
Fh - Boost TC 2.0mm
Bh - Boost TC 2.0mm
High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2010 at 11:58am
Originally posted by Dafydd393 Dafydd393 wrote:

Nice pictures High_Arc, look forward to you're review.

Is it just me, or does the sponge look more orange compared to normal T05 or was that just the lighting when you took the photos? 

The sponge colors of T05 and T05 FX looks the same to me, so it must be due to the lighting.
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2010 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by High_Arc High_Arc wrote:

I used a pair of scissors and did not cut the rubbers precisely to the edge. Further I used a small to medium amount of water based glue.

Could you tell me how to cut the rubber 1-2 mm larger than the headsize of the handle?
What kind of scissors do you use? 12 inch or 9 inch?
I have tailor scissors 12 inch, but can't cut as neat as using Cutter.
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2010 at 12:17pm

Could you tell me how to cut the rubber 1-2 mm larger than the headsize of the handle?
What kind of scissors do you use? 12 inch or 9 inch?
I have tailor scissors 12 inch, but can't cut as neat as using Cutter.

Nothing special, just more than 15 years of rubber cutting... I normally cut precisely to the edge of the blade, but I did not want my setup to be much lighter than it is with T05 for better comparison.
I don't know whether the scissors are 12 or 9 inch. The length of my scissors is roughly 17 cm in total (around 7 inch I think) and the cutting part is 7.5 cm (3 inch).
LOOPMEISTER View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2010 at 12:24pm
wicked scale.
Anton Chigurh View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2010 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by LOOPMEISTER LOOPMEISTER wrote:

wicked scale.

+1.

But unless I'm mistaken, High_Arc is German. They invented precision. LOL

High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2010 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by Anton Chigurh Anton Chigurh wrote:

wicked scale.

+1.

I'm Swiss actually, so your statement that the Germans invented precision is almost an insult Wink

Anton Chigurh View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2010 at 12:40pm

Originally posted by Anton Chigurh Anton Chigurh wrote:

wicked scale.

+1.

I'm Swiss actually, so your statement that the Germans invented precision is almost an insult Wink

Oops. Swiss would've been my next guess! Perhaps you guys are tied for the invention of precision. LOL But the Swiss get first place for chocolate. And watches. Thumbs%20Up  LOL

Plus, you beat Spain! Shocked

Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2010 at 1:57pm

Attach several layers of narrow edge tape.
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2010 at 2:01pm

The nicest thing I noticed is that the T05 FX has much more of a click sound than the normal T05.

That would a tragedy for all click haters. Cry
speaquinox View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speaquinox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2010 at 3:09pm
"click haters" ? I've yet to know anybody play tt and hate click sound.
Innerforce ALC, Glayzer / Rozena
Thaidog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2010 at 3:13pm
I am interested in FX as a backhand rubber. In particular it's abilities to produce topspin while looping and counter driving. Any comments on how it performs there?
Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

Tenergy 64 FX National 2.1mm

He never boosts... of course he never had to...
Genesis View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genesis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2010 at 4:51pm
looking forward to your first impression of the rubber sheets, High_Arc!    I'll probably receive my T05FX way after you've done a thorough review.

T05 | AMULTART.SI-TBZLC.ST-PHOTINO.ST | T05
The 'TRINITY'
metalone View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2010 at 5:36pm
I am waiting for my Fx to arrive and I am also playing with the MJ, very interested in your review.  My blades weight is  91 grams on my scale, I will check the weight before assembly.
Gave up listing, too many changes.
Blade - Yes
BH - Rubber Red
FH - Rubber Black
High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2010 at 6:54pm
first impressions (also at added at the beginning of this post)

First review (two hours of playing):

Well, I'm deeply impressed after the first session! The rubber plays extremely well, with loads of spin on loops, a nice click sound and a very strong catapult effect. It is a real pleasure to play with this rubber!!!

Coming from the regular T05, the main differences are the following:
-Softer
-Bouncier
-More dwell
-Slower when you hit really hard
-More spin on slow balls (first opening loops and so on)
-Much easier to block with it
-Easier to handle in general

Considering the above points, why would not everybody switch to the FX?
-It is slower
-It does not give you the same feeling of accuracy as the regular T05 does.
-Half-distance play needs more effort

I like the rubber on both forehand and backhand, and will most definitely keep it on the backhand. However, when I played the first match with it today, in the beginning all my pushes popped up high and "short" returns went long. I could adjust after about an hour or considering the length of my returns, but pushes popped up now and then during the whole session. Far off the table forehand counter loops ended in the net frequently due to the decreases speed. Backhand counter loops were great, because mine often went long with the regular T05.

For me certainly a great choice for the backhand. There I get the advantages of the T64 but not its disadvantages.

More to follow...
bozbrisvegas View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2010 at 7:30pm
High-Arc this is my input "our" review lol.

...... thanks for putting my name up there shame, I don't have mine yet.   Very professional look so far!

What am I worried about? I was honestly hoping that the rubber would be nearer 40g cut than 45g.
Grubba Variant ALL
fh: Hurricane 38 degrees MAX
bh: tensor MAX
Watch me playing TT
fattchoi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattchoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2010 at 7:31pm
Wow, sounds like my kind of rubber already. Though the regular T05 is my favourite rubber, I always find that it is a bit too fast for me. Plus I would dearly love it to be a little bit lighter too. And looks like this FX version is answering my wish. Also, it is not mushy soft, thank goodness for that. I can't wait for mine to arrive soon.
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2010 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by bozbrisvegas bozbrisvegas wrote:

High-Arc this is my input "our" review lol.

...... thanks for putting my name up there shame, I don't have mine yet.   Very professional look so far!

What am I worried about? I was honestly hoping that the rubber would be nearer 40g cut than 45g.

I'm really looking forward to the arrival of your rubbers! And to your impressions. In particular the disagreements... Wink

And I'm sure I could get rid of at least an additional gram each side if I would cut the rubbers to the edge. Further But for me, this would seriously mess up the balance of my setup.
Genesis View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genesis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2010 at 8:03pm
High_Arc: did you, by any chance, record (video) yourself when testing the rubbers? If you did, can you indulge us? Thanks - based on your initial impressions, I'm really looking forward to getting my FX.

T05 | AMULTART.SI-TBZLC.ST-PHOTINO.ST | T05
The 'TRINITY'
Thaidog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2010 at 8:50pm
Interesting. I am hoping that it will be fast enough so that it can still block with a good amount of speed. Did you get this sheet from tt-japan?
Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

Tenergy 64 FX National 2.1mm

He never boosts... of course he never had to...
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2010 at 11:32pm
Originally posted by Imago Imago wrote:

Attach several layers of narrow edge tape.

Thanks for your idea Imago Big%20smile
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2010 at 12:42am

I have never understood why anyone would care how it sounds, only how it plays.
Sallom89 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sallom89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2010 at 1:31am
Originally posted by pnachtwey pnachtwey wrote:

Some people are still addicted to the sound they used to love in the speed gluing era.
Member of Wang Hao fan club.

Hurricane Hao III
FH: Thors
RPB: Omega Pro
metalone View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2010 at 1:38am
Originally posted by Sallom89 Sallom89 wrote:

Originally posted by pnachtwey pnachtwey wrote:

Some people are still addicted to the sound they used to love in the speed gluing era.

The sound is the result of compressing the gases that are stored in the pores of the sponge, when you hit the ball.  This compression pushes back on the ball and increases the return speed. 
This is from cavitation, the trapped gas cannot move through the pores fast enough, and this causes the clicking noise.
So there is actually a benefit, just how much is debateable.
Gave up listing, too many changes.
Blade - Yes
BH - Rubber Red
FH - Rubber Black
High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2010 at 3:08am
Originally posted by Genesis Genesis wrote:

High_Arc: did you, by any chance, record (video) yourself when testing the rubbers? If you did, can you indulge us? Thanks - based on your initial impressions, I'm really looking forward to getting my FX.

no video so far, but i'm planning to do so in the near future (within two weeks hopefully).
Ubbser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ubbser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2010 at 3:48am
Hello High_Arc,

is there a great difference in the sponge hardness between T05 FX and T64 ?
High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2010 at 3:55am
Originally posted by Ubbser Ubbser wrote:

Hello High_Arc,

is there a great difference in the sponge hardness between T05 FX and T64 ?

Well, T05 and T64 have the same sponge, it's the less dense pimple distribution which gives T64 a softer feel.

As for T05 FX, the sponge is notably softer than the one of the T05 (same top-sheet from what I can judge), and the overall feel is a bit softer than T64.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic