Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Black Power/Red Diamond vs NEO

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Black Power/Red Diamond vs NEO
    Posted: 06/26/2010 at 1:55am

Since buying H3 neo is such a headache I decided to go try something else. I was going to go back to BW2 but I saw a clubmate walk in with Black Power and Red Diamond on a blade and i was curious- thinking maybe at the very least BP would be a cheap BW2 substitute. Red diamond was just for kicks because I dont usually play inverted on my BH. I got a bit of money and got them both. Just played them both tonight and it has me wondering- Why aren't more people playing with these rubbers? I was VERY impressed with both of them, especially RD on the BH. BP also impressed me but i wasn't COMPLETELY satisfied. Still though, overall- In my opinion after a long stint of playing with H3 NEO "provincial" (if that even exists amongst us) I thought of BP being on the same level as H3, if not then even a bit better. It's got a better feel, which allows you to control the ball better, it spins the ball better, and is just about as fast. It's like a BW2 but slower and spinnier, and it still feels better. The only problem is the topseet being a bit more generic and lower quality, but there isn't really anything wrong with it. ESPECIALLY for being about half the cost of NEO, I'm really wondering why I haven't heard more buzz than it got.

Red Diamond was even nicer on the BH. One of the much higher level players was using it on his BH from another guys racket and said he was really impressed with it. I'm going to be playing it for a while just because of how much more of a threat I was with it than I usually am with short pips. It's a great BH rubber. Again the feel is just super impressive. It's very fast when playing counter (which is what I want) It drives the ball perfectly, and loops very well. It just does everything well, and it really stands out when it comes to blocking. Just overall a very impressive rubber. It's even useable as a FH rubber because the sponge is still firm and the topsheet is tacky. I can see a lot of people liking it. It's tacky a bit though, which I wouldn't mind being less on, especially on the BH. But I like it so much that I'm just going to pretend it's okay.

In my opinion, the sponges on the RD/BP are better sponges than the NEO sponges that we have access to (which are probably nothing like what the pros are using as their sponges) but the topsheets on the Hurricane/Skyline series are better. However, since I'm more impressed with the topsheet on BP than I am with the one on BW2, I'll be keeping it around for a bit. I'll be keeping them both around on my setup.

So I'm curious, why aren't more people using these? especially at 14 bucks a piece.
Sponsored Links

Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2010 at 2:04am
In the same line of wondering, I wonder why most people don't even show a desire to test Memo 2 or 3 rubbers?
tiehwen View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiehwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2010 at 3:28pm
where can I buy these BP & RD in N.America? I dun mind to try 1 each. May be some forum member here has used 1 each FS?
rawrtje View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rawrtje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2010 at 3:37pm
Why not http://zeropong.com/

I buy everything 729/LKT/Gambler from them. Fast delivery, great service! Hmmm...now I'm itching to try the Black Power too. Maybe I'll get a sheet and report on the findings Smile
mmerkel View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmerkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2010 at 7:55pm
The problem with Zeropong is the high delivery charge to Canada. If you have the time to wait, go with ttnpp.com
#1 RL Balance -Bluefire M2 -Acuda S2
#2 RL Avalanche#2 -Bluefire M2 -Sigma Europe
#3 Primorac -Boost TP -Magna TC
tomas.gt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomas.gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2010 at 4:05am
Originally posted by Imago Imago wrote:

In the same line of wondering, I wonder why most people don't even show a desire to test Memo 2 or 3 rubbers?
and did you?
I did and it was terrible. Memo 1 and 3 on Korbel japan Off played tragically. Extremely dead. Black memo 1 seemed to be little bit faster. Both new sheets, so the spin was there. With memo 1 I play on Senkoh 85, but I applied baby oil (not much). Together with senkoh blade, it does not feel dead anymore.
Kokutaku Bishu no.1 ST - H3N red , BTfly Spinart 2.1 black
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2010 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by beeray1 beeray1 wrote:

So I'm curious, why aren't more people using these? especially at 14 bucks a piece.

LKT rubbers are pretty underrated in my opinion.  When speed-gluing was banned, I had several clubmates rated 2100+ that were using speed glued XT and XP on a fast blade ex. Yasaka Extra 7.  I like the Torrent, Rapid Soft and Rapid Speed but eventually, they just fall short with glue effect rubbers from Japan and Euro brands.
rawrtje View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rawrtje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2010 at 12:17pm
I asked zeropong about the Black Power, and they confirmed that it was superior to the Neo series. Dunno how objective that statement is, if at all, but it's a claim!

I've a Black Power in the works, so probably within a week's time I can give it a go with my H3 Neo and give some thoughts on the comparison between the two. The thought of a better, yet cheaper alternative is really exciting! Cool
rawrtje View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rawrtje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2010 at 2:07am
Gave it a go last night. Will have to agree wholeheartedly with beeray.

The sponge is much better than the one under H3 Neo. More pace, more pop. You just have to work a bit more to extract it. Throw is low - gives loops that dangerous grazing trajectory that just kicks off the table and dips down. Opening loops, counterloops...all great. This rubber really rewards you when you take a few steps back and really dig into the sponge into the blade. On the Nexy Spear, I was greeted with a loud CRACK before the ball just exploded out. Fishing and countersmashing is a dream.

Blocks are harder to pull off, but are very fast and solid. The rubber is faster and bouncier than H3 Neo, along with harder sponge, so I imagine it'd pair up better with softer, more flexy looping blades. Higher throw blade too.

Topsheet is generic, kinda low quality. Actually, of all the Gambler/729/LKT rubbers I've tried, this particular one on the Black Power I ordered seemed to be the worst. Left it out on the table for a day, and the result was a lot of "marks" on the rubber which won't go away. Also, after a day of hitting, there are those "indentation" marks of the pips showing through. It doesn't seem to affect play though, so here's to hoping! I've not seen any of these observations from posts here and on other forums, so hopefully it's exclusive to my particular sheet. If the playing characteristics hold out for a few months, this would be absolutely great. Who cares what a rubber looks like as long as it's performing, no?

Mildly tacky topsheet - holds ball for a split second. After a few hits this is gone though, but the grip on the ball is still great. Still tacky to the touch, more so than H3 Neo topsheet. The grip of the Black Power seems greater than the H3 Neo, and it's easier to load up on spin.

From how it plays, the Black Power seems more like a replacement for H2 Neo than H3 Neo, but I've never played with/against H2 Neo, so I wouldn't know. In any case, it is a beast of a rubber for my penhold attacking style of play. For 14 USD a sheet, it's a steal. I don't think I'll be going back to the Neo series ever again. If anyone hasn't tried it out and is looking for a cheaper and better alternative to the Neo series, I highly recommend you give Black Power a go! Smile
Anton Chigurh View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2010 at 2:35am
Along with some significant changes in my technique has come a renewed preference for Chinese rubbers. I've recently been going back and forth between Spin Art and Neo H3... now you guys have convinced me I "need" to try this. At $14 per sheet, I hope it wins out. Neo H3 is roughly half as much as Spin Art, and  Black Power is roughly half as much as Neo H3. Now that's progress. Smile

dual700 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dual700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2010 at 2:39am
Thanks for the review..
How would you compare BP's hardness degree vs H3 Neo's?
I've been eyeing these rubbers for a long time, but hesitant to buy the BP because I read that it's pretty hard. Tenergy 64's hardness is my limit...Anything harder I can't stand..Confused

Edited by dual700 - 07/09/2010 at 2:39am
rawrtje View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rawrtje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2010 at 2:45am
Originally posted by Anton Chigurh Anton Chigurh wrote:

Along with some significant changes in my technique has come a renewed preference for Chinese rubbers. I've recently been going back and forth between Spin Art and Neo H3... now you guys have convinced me I "need" to try this. At $14 per sheet, I hope it wins out. Neo H3 is roughly half as much as Spin Art, and  Black Power is roughly half as much as Neo H3. Now that's progress. Smile

You should try it! I'd really look forward to your thoughts on its performance. And if the performance is there at $14...I'm sure your wallet would be mighty happy too Smile
rawrtje View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rawrtje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2010 at 2:49am
Originally posted by dual700 dual700 wrote:

Thanks for the review..
I've been eyeing these rubbers for a long time, but hesitant to buy the BP because I read that it's pretty hard. Tenergy 64's hardness is my limit...Anything harder I can't stand..Confused

It's definitely harder than 40 degree H3 Neo. Then again, 40 degree H3 Neo felt mushy to me. Have you ever used say, 729 Friendship Super FX or 729 SP Transcend? The hardness is comparable to those, except whereas the 729 sponges were hard and dead, Black Power sponge is hard and powerful. Amazingly, it didn't seem too heavy either, though I didn't weigh it to find out.

How hard is Tenergy 64 sponge compared to H3 Neo? I've only had a brief 15-20 minute hit with it once (that was a while ago), and if my memory is right, it was harder than H3 Neo 40 degree sponge. I don't think Black Power sponge would be harder than Tenergy 64 sponge, but my memory could be wrong. Very high likelihood of that, actually. LOL
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2010 at 3:27am
update for me: a dissapointing one at that. As much as I liked black power, the low low quality topsheet took its toll: I kept it covered every session and cleaned it every time. Guess what- the oxidation rate on this rubber is WORSE than the old Gambler Six Shooter. My Black Power is completely oxidized already with the exception of maybe a half inch around the edge of the rubber. It's very dissapointing because I really enjoyed the sponge and the feel on Black Power, but now I'm using a much much much older sheet of H3 neo pro, and while I liked the feel of BP more, you gotta give DHS this: I have never really covered or cared for the H3, and it still maintains its composure. I wiped it down every session but only with breath or sweat. The topsheet still wraps around the ball and is still very very grabby. H3 is just so two-faced though. Just like Rakesh said (the guy with the TBS) It hits different speeds in different spots of the rubber.

After playing BP more and more, i kept noticing how similar it is to BW2. Its just not as fast. The topsheet made its spinnier, but the topsheet on Black Power is worse than the one on BW2, and I already had problems with the BW2 topsheet quality and durability wise. If we could just get that DHS topsheet on the black sponge, we would have the perfect chinese rubber. For now, what I'm doing is just throwing some speedglue on the NEO sponge every week or so just to liven it up. Even rubber cement rejuvenates it for a few days. It's a sponge made to get the most out of any kind of tuning, I'll say that much. That's probably why it works for all the pros- they tune the crap out of it.
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2010 at 3:31am
Also- while not as bad (since I use my FH more) the topsheet on Red diamond is doing just as poorlly. It's very spotty and inconsistent. I'm just so dissapointed with these topsheets. The sponges are so nice. It's one of those rubbers (BP also) that are very very nice for like the first three sessions and then you are ready for a new sheet. So you are paying for what you're getting this time around.
rawrtje View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rawrtje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2010 at 3:37am
beeray,

How does it play still? I couldn't care less if my rubber looked like it had an accident with the blender if it still kept its performance. Though the durability is rather worrisome. I was expecting a lot more from LKT/729/Gambler products, which in my experience, though not producing the best looking topsheets out there, are rather resilient.

Where did you get your BP by the way? Maybe we could try petitioning Tom at zeropong to put in a word or two about the topsheet durability. This wouldn't be the first time a product would have been made better in subsequent batches (Gambler Outlaw had/has the same scenario?). I'm absolutely in love with how the BP plays...really really really don't want to have to let go LOL

Edited by rawrtje - 07/09/2010 at 3:42am
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2010 at 3:40am

Well maybe it wont happen to you, but aside from looking awful, the rubbers spin has definitely dropped. Also, I have dipped a very fair share of balls into the net unexpectedly for no apparent reason. I took it off last night because it was just doing it too much. But don't let that ruin your expectations, its just what happened to me. You might just be fine.

rawrtje View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rawrtje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2010 at 3:42am
See edit above.
typhoon1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote typhoon1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2010 at 4:00am
Could you compare BP and RD with gambler outlaw please?

I plan to use RD max on FH and outlaw max on BH with Mizutani Jun or TBS,
Which one of the two blades is matched with both rubbers?

Thanks in advance,
dual700 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dual700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2010 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by rawrtje rawrtje wrote:

Originally posted by dual700 dual700 wrote:

Thanks for the review..

It's definitely harder than 40 degree H3 Neo. Then again, 40 degree H3 Neo felt mushy to me. Have you ever used say, 729 Friendship Super FX or 729 SP Transcend? The hardness is comparable to those, except whereas the 729 sponges were hard and dead, Black Power sponge is hard and powerful. Amazingly, it didn't seem too heavy either, though I didn't weigh it to find out.

How hard is Tenergy 64 sponge compared to H3 Neo? I've only had a brief 15-20 minute hit with it once (that was a while ago), and if my memory is right, it was harder than H3 Neo 40 degree sponge. I don't think Black Power sponge would be harder than Tenergy 64 sponge, but my memory could be wrong. Very high likelihood of that, actually. LOL
Wow, that hard, huh?
I think T64 is actually pretty soft after all.. I've tried H3 Neo 39, 40 degree, BW2 37 Deg, they are hard as hell to me personally.
How do you compare overall rubber hardness to Outlaw, since I have many of that myself LOL

Thanks
rawrtje View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rawrtje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2010 at 10:48pm
It's harder than Outlaw. I don't think it's so hard that you wouldn't be able to adjust from Outlaw, though, I don't think.

I took out my paddle today, and the topsheet actually looked...a tad better than the day before Ermm

I've been told from "official" source that there are apparently no durability issues with the Black Power (maybe beeray and I were just really really unlucky), so maybe y'all will have better luck Smile
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2010 at 11:11pm

It's harder than Outlaw. I don't think it's so hard that you wouldn't be able to adjust from Outlaw, though, I don't think.

I took out my paddle today, and the topsheet actually looked...a tad better than the day before Ermm

I've been told from "official" source that there are apparently no durability issues with the Black Power (maybe beeray and I were just really really unlucky), so maybe y'all will have better luck Smile

I'll let you know of my luck soon. Mine shipped today. Finding a forehand rubber has been a pain in the @$$. Spin Art is great--except it's so damn heavy. Similar to Haifu Whale II, which I also like but find too heavy. I just got some Tihbar Grip-S. I haven't played with it yet, but it's dang heavy too and fairly expensive. Neo H3 (allegedly "provincial", from ttrubberman) is pretty great all around and not too heavy. It just blocks like crap. (Or more accurately, I block like crap with it.) If this Black Power is as good as you guys say, without being any heavier than Neo H3 and not falling apart after a couple weeks, then that's an exciting prospect. Big smile Otherwise I'll just stick with Neo H3.

EDIT: I have a couple jars of SpinMax. I'd be more than happy to apply it once a week or so to a semi-cheap top sheet IF the rubber performs well overall and for an extended amount of time. A once a week application of SpinMax seems to be a reasonable trade-off for a $14 sheet of rubber if it will last a few months.

Thaidog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2010 at 12:38am
Grip-S is underrated in my opinion... I love it! Comparing it to Spin Art it seems to have a better glue effect and is outlasting it. My Spin Art sheet is in bad shape after a few weeks... too bad to justify $64 a month for it.

Edited by Thaidog - 07/10/2010 at 12:39am
Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

Tenergy 64 FX National 2.1mm

He never boosts... of course he never had to...
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2010 at 12:41am
I'm going to give these rubbers a go next week hopefully, I wouldn't worry too much above beerays rubber destruction, he's able to break anything 10 times faster than anyone else for some reason :). I've read a lot about both of these while getting ready to try them and it sounds like black power is similar to H2 but more springy and that red diamond is a higher throw rubber

edit: Red Diamond turned out low throw :)

Edited by nicefrog - 10/07/2010 at 4:20am
rawrtje View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rawrtje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2010 at 2:17am
Looking forward to your reactions! I continue to be amazed at the pace on this thing. Nowhere in the rubber description does it allude to any sort of "created for speed glue ban" or "factory tuned", only an ambiguous mention of "pressure sponge technology" ...I wonder what this pressure box manufacturing is all about...
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2010 at 2:35am

See edit above.

I got it a zeropong. That  might not be a bad idea, lol. I would love these rubbers if they were under something that was nicer.
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2010 at 2:37am
Originally posted by nicefrog nicefrog wrote:

I'm going to give these rubbers a go next week hopefully, I wouldn't worry too much above beerays rubber destruction, he's able to break anything 10 times faster than anyone else for some reason :). I've read a lot about both of these while getting ready to try them and it sounds like black power is similar to H2 but more springy and that red diamond is a higher throw rubber

hahaha. I guess that could have SOMEthing to do with it.

how did you ever end up liking BW2?

It's VERY similar to that. Throws a fair share higher than H2. It's also not as springy as NEO H2, its been too long since i hit with H2 blue sponge though. I gotta say, I was impressed with H2 NEO but it just did not work on my blade.

Edited by beeray1 - 07/10/2010 at 2:43am
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2010 at 4:42am
The Blue Whale I found to have an awesome feel about it, very powerful rubber, but I felt the downsides outweighed the good literally :) since it's a VERY heavy rubber. I tested it against H2 and was still able to make slightly more spin with H2 while have much more control and less weight. Still the whale is a good rubber but H2 is more points winning despite not feeling as magical :). The black power is for another guy not me, but I'll be testing it out. Currently I'm using a sheet of H2 from prott.cc that's supposed to be provincial, I really still don't know what exactly it is or where it came from but it's a little different than H2 in the way it's built (a little wider pimples with the normal H2 spacing). But it's very easy to use, it's got a softer and more elastic sponge and delivers equal pain to the opponent as a normal H2 so that's what I'm using for now. I have another sheet of that and one more blue sponge H2 all wrapped up. Between all those and perhaps thinking about removing the tuner from that whale you sent I'm right for FH rubbers for at least 2 seasons

Edited by nicefrog - 07/10/2010 at 4:44am
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2010 at 11:19pm

Topsheet is generic, kinda low quality. Actually, of all the Gambler/729/LKT rubbers I've tried, this particular one on the Black Power I ordered seemed to be the worst. Left it out on the table for a day, and the result was a lot of "marks" on the rubber which won't go away. Also, after a day of hitting, there are those "indentation" marks of the pips showing through.

update for me: a dissapointing one at that. As much as I liked black power, the low low quality topsheet took its toll: I kept it covered every session and cleaned it every time. Guess what- the oxidation rate on this rubber is WORSE than the old Gambler Six Shooter. My Black Power is completely oxidized already with the exception of maybe a half inch around the edge of the rubber. It's very dissapointing because I really enjoyed the sponge and the feel on Black Power,

I really like LKT rubbers but I have to agree with both of your assessments of the newer topsheets.  XP, XT and Torrent had high quality topsheets but of course, you had to speed glue XP/XT.  When the Rapid series came out (Soft, Speed, Power, and Sound), the topsheets sometimes had serious  marks right after you peel the plastic.  All credit to Tom and Cole because whenever I had problems with those, they would inspect a replacement sheet before sending it to me.  But still, there seems to be a quality issue with LKT's newer topsheets and from both your descriptions, it seems to be continuing with BP and RD.  It's really too bad because IMHO, LKT has some of the best sponges if you're coming off Japan/Euro rubbers but want a tackier topsheet.  On a side note, have you guys checked out the LKT Torrent Gold? I wonder why Megaspin carries it but not Zeropong.

If BP isn't working for you guys, you might want to try the CCT National Pride.  It appears to be a tacky type rubber.
If you do try it, might as well try the National Strike on the BH Smile

Edited by BeaverMD - 07/11/2010 at 3:54pm
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2010 at 1:50am
Originally posted by BeaverMD BeaverMD wrote:

Topsheet is generic, kinda low quality. Actually, of all the Gambler/729/LKT rubbers I've tried, this particular one on the Black Power I ordered seemed to be the worst. Left it out on the table for a day, and the result was a lot of "marks" on the rubber which won't go away. Also, after a day of hitting, there are those "indentation" marks of the pips showing through.

update for me: a dissapointing one at that. As much as I liked black power, the low low quality topsheet took its toll: I kept it covered every session and cleaned it every time. Guess what- the oxidation rate on this rubber is WORSE than the old Gambler Six Shooter. My Black Power is completely oxidized already with the exception of maybe a half inch around the edge of the rubber. It's very dissapointing because I really enjoyed the sponge and the feel on Black Power,

I really like LKT rubbers but I have to agree with both of your assessments of the newer topsheets.  XP, XT and Torrent had high quality topsheets but of course, you had to speed glue XP/XT.  When the Rapid series came out (Soft, Speed, Power, and Sound), the topsheets sometimes had serious  marks right after you peel the plastic.  All credit to Tom and Cole because whenever I had problems with those, they would inspect a replacement sheet before sending it to me.  But still, there seems to be a quality issue with LKT's newer topsheets and from both your descriptions, it seems to be continuing with BP and RD.  It's really too bad because IMHO, LKT has some of the best sponges if you're coming off Japan/Euro rubbers but want a tackier topsheet.  On a side note, have you guys checked out the LKT Torrent Gold? Megaspin carries it but not Zeropong.

If BP isn't working for you guys, you might want to try the CCT National Pride.  It appears to be a tacky type Torrent (large pips)... which might explain why ZP isn't carrying the Torrent Gold.

If you do try it, might as well try the National Strike on the BH Smile

In addition to Black Power, I ordered some LKT Torrent Gold and CCT National Pride. I should receive them sometime next week. Although my level of play is not impressive, I will post a few brief thoughts after I've had a chance to try them out.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic